The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

55 minutes ago, Holko said:

In the Jaws booklet, Mike refers to an "Orca" theme (I assume the one that returns in Finding the Orca in Jaws 2), and a "sprightly hornpipe for scenes of the boat at sea". ANyone know exactly what the latter one is referring to? I listened to the first few "hornpipe" videos but that didn't help, I didn't immediately know "oh, it's gotta be this!". I can think of 4-6 loosely associated recurring motifs in the score, nobody named them in 45 years, not even fans?

I thought it was this one.

That seems like it.

Can a get a definitive JWfan answer to this: what ratio is APOCALYPSE NOW meant to be in? I have the REDUX DVD, and it appears to be in 2:1, but the accompanying trailer seems to be in 2.35.

I'm confused. Anyone got the Blu of this? Help an old man out, please!

54 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Can a get a definitive JWfan answer to this: what ratio is APOCALYPSE NOW meant to be in? I have the REDUX DVD, and it appears to be in 2:1, but the accompanying trailer seems to be in 2.35.

I'm confused. Anyone got the Blu of this? Help an old man out, please!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078788/technical?ref_=tt_ql_dt_6

2.00 : 1 (DVD version) (Univisium)

2.20 : 1 (70 mm prints)
2.39 : 1

Take your pick, I guess.

It was filmed in anamorphic- 2:35.

Vittorio Stiorraro, the dp, has contractual rights to ALL home video transfers.

When home video started, all tv monitors were 1:33.

VS felt , rightly, that letterboxing the image at 2:35. was too severe . Since he didn't compose shots with important info on the edge of the frame, he chose 2:00 aspect ratio.*

I think it looks great ! I saw the 70mm presentation which was close to the cropping.

*iirc it was closer to 1:90:1

10 hours ago, Holko said:

In the Jaws booklet, Mike refers to an "Orca" theme (I assume the one that returns in Finding the Orca in Jaws 2), and a "sprightly hornpipe for scenes of the boat at sea". ANyone know exactly what the latter one is referring to? I listened to the first few "hornpipe" videos but that didn't help, I didn't immediately know "oh, it's gotta be this!". I can think of 4-6 loosely associated recurring motifs in the score, nobody named them in 45 years, not even fans?

When I was in high school, I actually associated one of them as a theme for Quint! Now that I'm older I really like how Williams wrote a good number of motifs that aren't rigidly defined as belonging to someone or something.

59 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

See. Aren't you glad I joined this board?😁

I " know things".

From time to time, on occasion, the possibility has crossed my mind, that every now and then, there's a chance, a chance of a probability, that the case could be made that an argument exists that maybe we might be glad you joined.

5 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

When I was in high school, I actually associated one of them as a theme for Quint! Now that I'm older I really like how Williams wrote a good number of motifs that aren't rigidly defined as belonging to someone or something.

Ha, I did a quick catalogue and called one of them "Determined Quint" for a while, then by the end it just became "Determined Crew".

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Anyone here who organises their classical music in folders without relying on something like iTunes? What's the best way to keep the ridiculous amount of re-recordings of the same piece organised?

I usually use the album tag for the name of the actual works, i.e. if I have an album with two symphonies, A on tracks 1-4 and B on tracks 5-8, I'll label the first four tracks as album A and the others as album B (keeping the real track numbers). At the end of the album tag, I'll add the conductor/soloist/artist, and the year if i've got multiple recordings of the same work by the same artist.

I've also long ago started including the work name in each track name (even though it's also the album name), to keep stuff like Last.FM from thinking every "Overture" of every opera is the exact same song (I believe it still thinks that "Main Title" is my favourite Jerry Goldsmith track by far).

I.e. I'll have something like:

Artist: Gustav Holst

Album: The Planets op. 32 (Karajan, 1981)

Title: The Planets op. 32 - I. Mars, the Bringer of War

12 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

That sounds like a great ide. Why do you leave track numbers untouched, though?

Because the OCD part of me wants to preserve as much as possible of the physical CD as possible (except in rare cases, e.g. the Indy box, where I've turned the four physical CDs into three self-contained albums). It also means that the filenames (disc number, track number, and track title) match the tags, and each album still gets its own directory with correctly numbered tracks.

(I forgot to mention that I almost always put the composer(s) in the "artist" tag)

Needless to day, I have issues with the ID3 system, or rather with how it originated and how it has (therefore) been adopted by most tools. The system itself has much improved since, e.g. with separate standardised tags for artist, composer, album artist, etc., but that doesn't help much when I have to expect that most tools will insist on using the artist tag as the main tag for browsing and display.

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

Anyone here who organises their classical music in folders without relying on something like iTunes? What's the best way to keep the ridiculous amount of re-recordings of the same piece organised?

I put the CDs in their cases and place them on a shelf.

Works wonderfully!

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

It puts the CDs in their cases, and it places them on the shelf.

It puts the CDs in their cases, and it places them on the shelf!!!

That rings a bell. Why does that ring a bell? Oh right, silence of the lambs!

• 3 weeks later...

Questions about Amazon MP3 Downlaods.

- What is the bitrate?

- Does this work in every country?

- Will I be able to do whatever I want with the MP3 files? As in, is there no 'you have to use this app to play them in' bullshit? Will they truly be mine?

7 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

- What is the bitrate?

- Will I be able to do whatever I want with the MP3 files? As in, is there no 'you have to use this app to play them in' bullshit? Will they truly be mine?

320 I think.

They shouldn't have to be locked to a specific app.

Yes. In their comments field, they do state "Unique ID: ###########“ where that is a unique number of X number of digits. It's probably specific to each song and each buyer... 

... And if you don't know how to delete that tag, stay off the internet. 

17 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

- What is the bitrate?

The answer to all three questions is: Qobuz.

I'm using CDex to rip my LLL CDs. The app keeps putting artist name in file name, even though I have clearly told it only to put track number and track name in file name. So now I hve:

Artist: James Horner

Track Name: Gaelic Storm - Drowsy Maggie

Artist: John Williams

Track name: John Williams - The Prologue

What's this about? I can't use MP3tag to rectify this because the track name is the issue.

EDIT: sorted it out, turns out you have to tell it separately to split artist and track name after telling it to ignore artist. Weird.

• 2 weeks later...

In the bonus features they say originally some other composer was set to score Home Alone, but suddenly their schedule didn't work out after all and then they went to JW. Do we know who that other composer was? For whatever reason my brain just instantly went to Silvestri. Can we imagine a world with potentially no HP JW scores?

On 11/15/2020 at 1:29 PM, bollemanneke said:

I'm using CDex to rip my LLL CDs. The app keeps putting artist name in file name, even though I have clearly told it only to put track number and track name in file name. So now I hve:

Artist: James Horner

Track Name: Gaelic Storm - Drowsy Maggie

Artist: John Williams

Track name: John Williams - The Prologue

What's this about? I can't use MP3tag to rectify this because the track name is the issue.

EDIT: sorted it out, turns out you have to tell it separately to split artist and track name after telling it to ignore artist. Weird.

Man, it's so much easier to just listen to the CD. :)

16 minutes ago, Holko said:

In the bonus features they say originally some other composer was set to score Home Alone, but suddenly their schedule didn't work out after all and then they went to JW. Do we know who that other composer was? Can we imagine a world with potentially no HP JW scores?

According to Wikipedia, Bruce Broughton was going to score HOME ALONE, but he was too busy with THE RESCUERS DOWN UNDER, so they enlisted the services of one J.T.Williams, esq., and the rest...

On 11/7/2020 at 3:46 PM, bollemanneke said:

- What is the bitrate?

Right, so I just tried to buy an album on the UK site and it turns out I need a UK visa card! What IS it with digital music and idiotic rules? I can buy the physical CD but am unable to buy the MP3 album? Really?

24 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I know! When I purchase physical CDs from amazon UK, I often get the digital download without paying anything extra. But living in Norway, I'm not allowed to download it...

Huh, really? Any way to check whether my orders included digital downloads?

12 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Huh, really? Any way to check whether my orders included digital downloads?

I don't know. It usually says so at the last checkout-page where you confirm the order. I've always assumed they're made available at some library connected to my user account.