The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

10 hours ago, Bespin said:

Mancini... that's a big Pandora box to open, I never had the courage yet to jump in!

It's best to start with BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S, as it's his most popular score. A "best of", featuring stuff like THE PINK PANTHER, BABY ELEPHANT WALK, DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES, etc., is fine, as well.

If you feel a bit more adventurous, his score for LIFEFORCE is good.

My favourite Mancini score is NIGHTWING, but that might be a little too "out there", for you.

Have the Star Wars OT soundtracks been released in any kind of high-res, 5.1 format? I've always been happy w/the Anthology and RCA releases, and haven't paid much attention to the Sony/Disney reissues.

I remember reading around the time SW Ep. 1 was released that there was only one moment in the entire film that was entirely untouched by computer VFX or enhancement.

From what I could tell at the time, this occurs at 5:17 in the movie. After the ship Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan arrive in is blown up and QG and OW jump up with lightsabers drawn, the camera cuts to a baseboard vent with gas coming out. The cutaway lasts only about two seconds.

Can anyone confirm if there really was only one moment that was not enhanced, and whether I'm right about that moment being the vent?

I'm not sure, but there must be some interior shots on Courscant that don't have sfx.

"Effects, effects, effects, not effects, not effects, effects, not eff- ah!"

On 2/3/2021 at 9:46 PM, Nick1066 said:

Have the Star Wars OT soundtracks been released in any kind of high-res, 5.1 format?

No. The closest we have to that is the DVD which accompanied the CD of Ep. III. It had a selection of music from all six films in 5.1 (all remixed by Shawn Murphy, so don't expect much, especially after the DVD-A of A.I.), plus a narration (of sorts) by Ian MacDairmid.

1 hour ago, The Big Man said:

I'm sure there are loads of close-up shots of actors that have no special effects work.

But behind their heads or bodies would be backgrounds that need digital manipulation (spaceships, alien worlds, jar-jar binkses...). The baseboard vent cutaway, however, is the only plausible candidate, as far as I can tell. It’s literally just two seconds of a baseboard vent with smoke coming out. So I feel that must be it, assuming that that fact I read was true.

On 2/5/2021 at 10:37 AM, Bayesian said:

I remember reading around the time SW Ep. 1 was released that there was only one moment in the entire film that was entirely untouched by computer VFX or enhancement.

From what I could tell at the time, this occurs at 5:17 in the movie. After the ship Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan arrive in is blown up and QG and OW jump up with lightsabers drawn, the camera cuts to a baseboard vent with gas coming out. The cutaway lasts only about two seconds.

Can anyone confirm if there really was only one moment that was not enhanced, and whether I'm right about that moment being the vent?

Sounds like a fake tidbit used to promote the movie somehow by bragging about Digital Technology and how advanced it was. Or something made up on The Force Dot Net.

I could be misremembering, but I feel like that came directly from someone involved in the production, maybe in one of the bonus features. I remember that specific shot being the one mentioned.

There are other shots here and there that appear to be VFX-less, but sometimes effects can be pretty un-glamorous, and if done well, it may never register for the audience that something was altered. So who knows.

6 hours ago, The Big Man said:

I also recall the bit where Anakin's mum and Qui-Gon are talking while Anakin is working on his racer. It looks like a small set they built with no computer manipulation.

It was probably filmed in front of a blue screen.

It's easier being blue than being green, according to an old Sinatra's song.

It's not that easy bein' green
Having to spend each day the color of the leaves
When I think it could be nicer bein' red or yellow or gold
Or something much more colourful like that

2 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Fixed.

Frank Sinatra really recorded that song!

I don't know if it's funny or sad!

21 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Many did, but Kermit was still the first.

Did you also knew that Cookie Monster was the first to sing "C Is For Cookie"?

After a tiny bit more digging, the source seems to be a TIME article from 1999. The actual wording:

"In the end, most of the scenes were digitally created (the final Gungan battle) or enhanced (by extending the standing sets, built only 6 ft. or 7 ft. high, into palaces and Senate chambers). 'A typical summer movie has maybe 2,000 shots, with, say, 250 effects shots,' says [ILM visual effects supervisor John] Knoll. Titanic had about 500. 'This one is backward. Of the 2,200 shots, only about 250 shots are not effects shots.' There is just one sequence totally untouched by the digitalizers. Hint: watch for the vent."

For me, this doesn't really clear up the issue. The "sequence" obviously has digital effects, the most obvious being the lightsabers, and probably the stuff outside the window. The shot of the vent itself doesn't have any apparent alterations.

There were indeed other shots later on that also look totally unaltered. But perhaps there's some fakery going on that's not obvious.

I'm currently reading about and listening to Handel's concerti grossi opus 6.

1. Why does every conductor seemingly invent different names for some movements? Teh allegro of one is a gigue in another recording.

2. If everything is written for strings and harpsichord, why do so many people add an oboe and bassoon while replacing the harpsichord with an organ?

3. In short, why does everyone basically do what they want? Why can't they just play what Handel wrote?

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

I'm currently reading about and listening to Handel's concerti grossi opus 6.

1. Why does every conductor seemingly invent different names for some movements? Teh allegro of one is a gigue in another recording.

2. If everything is written for strings and harpsichord, why do so many people add an oboe and bassoon while replacing the harpsichord with an organ?

3. In short, why does everyone basically do what they want? Why can't they just play what Handel wrote?

1. Sometimes, the movements don't have tempo indications. I don't know if that's the case in this particular instance.

2. Basso continuo.

https://www.classical-music.com/features/articles/what-isbasso-continuo/#:~:text=A basso continuo is%2C in,version%2C 'through bass'.

3. Leaving room for interpretation is a good thing!

43 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

No, I won't have that!

Me neither, but I prefer his concerti grossi op. 3.

Bespin, on the other hand, is quite boring.

Does anybody have any idea what this piece of music is?

https://voca.ro/1573QddDrfIB

Just an easy listening instrumental, heard it pop up in both Strangers With Candy and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. No credit, music apps don't recognize it. Probably a library/royalty free track, may be impossible to track down but sometimes you guys are good at that. Just curious!

11 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Does anybody have any idea what this piece of music is?

https://voca.ro/1573QddDrfIB

"Melody for Lovers" (Gerhard Narholz)

Martini Lounge (SCD-0261)

Sonoton Music Library

Track 18

SON_SCD_0261.jpg

Link to album:  https://www.apmmusic.com/albums/SCD-0261

Direct link to MP3: https://audio.prod.apmmusic.com/mp3_128/SON/SCD/SON_SCD_0261/SON_SCD_0261_01801.mp3