The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

49 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

All I can say is I've made many good CD deals on Discogs. Make sure to ask for a sturdy packaging.

Well, it started out great, I just ordered a vinyl instead of a CD by mistake.

7 hours ago, Holko said:

People in Europe who ordered from Amazon UK recently and it was shipped with DHL or DPD or something like that, not the local mail: how are the import fees handled? Are they added to the shipping fee, are they known or do they make the package sit for days in the local country package center while they figure it out and sort it, do you have to pay them on delivery?

Last time I ordered there, I think it was shipped by regular mail, and Amazon handled the import fees. I would assume the two are unrelated, and that they'll therefore handle the import fees with other shipping companies as well, but that's just a guess.

I've  had a bad experience with DHL's handling of import fees when I ordered from Omni Music last year. They charged way too much, and after I complained and provided them with correct values (which took me a while to research and calculate), they reduced the fees I had to pay, but they were still too high.

36 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Anyone can tell me which interesting CD stores in can find in Berlin? It's my first time there, any other recommendation, where to go, would be welcomed as well.

"Dussman - Das Kulturkaufhaus" has an excellent classical section in the basement. The soundtrack section isn't anything special - or at least, it's just what was common in stores that carried CDs until the mid 2000s (dozens of Morricone compilations included).

Does anyone know how to quickly removed the blank at the end of certain music track. I know I can edit them one by one but I've 50 of them so would prefer a quicker way.

Thanks in advance

21 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

Does anyone know how to quickly removed the blank at the end of certain music track. I know I can edit them one by one but I've 50 of them so would prefer a quicker way.

Thanks in advance

What type(s) of audio files are they? MP3 and M4A/AAC are likely to always have silent audio samples at the end because they compress using windows of time. If the audio file isn’t exactly a multiple of the window size, you’ll get padded samples at the end.

If the audio files are uncompressed or losslessly compressed, is it the same amount of time you need to trim from every file? Or does it vary from file to file? If it varies, that makes it tougher to set up a batch process.

23 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

It's MP3 files with 5 seconds of blank at the end

Here are two tools that may be able to batch cut MP3s:

I’ve used mp3DirectCut before for manually trimming MP3s without re-encoding (it trims at window/frame boundaries), but I’ve never tried to batch process a number of files with a fixed trim point, like what you’re after.

I’ll fool with it later today and see if I can come up with a solution using the tools above or FFmpeg in a Windows batch.

2 hours ago, thx99 said:

Here are two tools that may be able to batch cut MP3s:

I’ve used mp3DirectCut before for manually trimming MP3s without re-encoding (it trims at window/frame boundaries), but I’ve never tried to batch process a number of files with a fixed trim point, like what you’re after.

I’ll fool with it later today and see if I can come up with a solution using the tools above or FFmpeg in a Windows batch.

Thank you so much for your effort, really appreciate it bowdown

@May the Force be with You, here are instructions for trimming the last 5 seconds from MP3 files in a batch process using mp3DirectCut:

-          Download mp3DirectCut from the following page and install with “Run as administrator”: https://www.fosshub.com/mp3DirectCut.html

-          Run mp3DirectCut and select “File” / “Batch Processing…” (or Ctrl+B).

-          In the “Source” window (left half), select the folder containing the MP3 files you want to trim.  I would highly recommend making a sub-folder in this folder for your trimmed versions.

-          In the “Action” area (right half, upper portion), check “Cut” and enter “5” in the “from end” entry box.

-          In the “Destination” area (right half, middle portion), I would recommend selecting “Select folder / current folder” so that you don’t overwrite your original MP3s.  When you click on it, you will be given a new interface to select the output folder.

-          Back in the “Source” window, highlight the MP3 files you want to trim.  The selected files should be highlighted with a blue rectangle.

-          Your interface should look like this:

image.png

-          Click on “Start”.

-          Once completed, you should see a message “Processing file: X / X” in the “Results” window, where “X” is the number of files you selected.

9 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Well, that you can find even in the tiniest Saturn or MediaMarkt.:P

Don't underestimate MediaMarkt. The regular offering is not so interesting. But in the bigger markets the usually have a grab table with cheap CDs where you can find nice soundtracks for 4-6 €.

9 hours ago, thx99 said:

@May the Force be with You, here are instructions for trimming the last 5 seconds from MP3 files in a batch process using mp3DirectCut:

-          Download mp3DirectCut from the following page and install with “Run as administrator”: https://www.fosshub.com/mp3DirectCut.html

-          Run mp3DirectCut and select “File” / “Batch Processing…” (or Ctrl+B).

-          In the “Source” window (left half), select the folder containing the MP3 files you want to trim.  I would highly recommend making a sub-folder in this folder for your trimmed versions.

-          In the “Action” area (right half, upper portion), check “Cut” and enter “5” in the “from end” entry box.

-          In the “Destination” area (right half, middle portion), I would recommend selecting “Select folder / current folder” so that you don’t overwrite your original MP3s.  When you click on it, you will be given a new interface to select the output folder.

-          Back in the “Source” window, highlight the MP3 files you want to trim.  The selected files should be highlighted with a blue rectangle.

-          Your interface should look like this:

image.png

-          Click on “Start”.

-          Once completed, you should see a message “Processing file: X / X” in the “Results” window, where “X” is the number of files you selected.

Thank you so much for your efforts, you're the best!!! 

What is the music being played by the Marine band chamber group for the first 10 seconds or so of the video embedded in this tweet?  It sounds so familiar and I can't quite place it.

6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

What is the music being played by the Marine band chamber group for the first 10 seconds or so of the video embedded in this tweet?  It sounds so familiar and I can't quite place it.

Though I know it isn't either of these, it reminds me of Holst's "Jupiter" and Horner's love theme from Braveheart <cough, cough>...

On 29/11/2021 at 11:44 AM, Marian Schedenig said:

"Dussman - Das Kulturkaufhaus" has an excellent classical section in the basement. The soundtrack section isn't anything special - or at least, it's just what was common in stores that carried CDs until the mid 2000s (dozens of Morricone compilations included).

Thanks for the advice, that was an interesting store. The film music section ultimately wasn't that big, but I got some nice items:

- a complete box set of The Doors

- an almost complete box set of Andrej Tarkowskij

- and a rare UK import of Pier Paolo Pasolini's Salò (which is still banned in Germany).

2 minutes ago, Michael G. said:

There was an article once about John WIlliams reinforcing western, racist and similar stereotypes in his music. I really can't find the article right now, does anyone have a link?

• 1 month later...

Has anyone here got the surround sound version of Simon Rattle conducting the Berlin Phil in Beethoven's 9th? If so, are you able to listen to the orchestra separately, or did they put the choir on all the channels?

Erm… what? I don't have it, but why - or how - should they remove the choir from the surround channels? I assume this is a "real" recording, not an ultra-striped, artificially mixed soundtrack recording where they record every instrument individually and then mix them together.

5 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I find the choir in this recording overbearing and just wanted to be able to listen to the instrumental accompaniment. Like one listens to the instrumental Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas.

There is no "instrumental" Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas. There's an assembly that leaves out the choir part, but still has the orchestral parts that are meant to accompany the choir, and are clearly incomplete without it. It's a very interesting curiosity, to be sure, but it's a very compromised way to listen to the piece (and I'm saying this as someone who finds the choir part in this piece really hard to stomach).

If you want to listen to a version where you can hear the orchestra well, I suggest you find a performance & recording that has a corresponding balance between choir and orchestra. As far as I remember, the orchestra is quite prominent in the (brilliant) Szell/Cleveland recording.

18 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Has anyone here got the surround sound version of Simon Rattle conducting the Berlin Phil in Beethoven's 9th? If so, are you able to listen to the orchestra separately, or did they put the choir on all the channels?

Just... don't.

• 2 weeks later...