The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

Can anybody tell me what music is playing in "Manchester by the Sea" when Casey Affleck is driving to the hospital in order to visit his brother? It's some kind of tender adagio.

Probably the Albinoni? (It's been a few years since I've watched it)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4034228/soundtrack?ref_=tttrv_ql_7

If you scan through the thread we have for the show, you will see that most people here didn't like it at all, which seems to be the general opinion I get from around the internet as well.

Also, there is no season 3 trailer; Only 1 season has aired so far, the new trailer that just came out is for season 2.   Though, it has already been renewed for season 3.

28 minutes ago, karelm said:

Is Star Trek Picard any good?  Season 3 trailer looks very good but I never got in to the show, worth watching?

I like it (as a non-Trek fan). Hopefully it will keep that level. I also liked the first couple of seasons of DISCOVERY, but then it descended into wishy-washy soap opera woke nonsense in the last two.

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Can anyone recommend an easy way to download an embedded audio file, in this case a very old radio show episode that obviously can't be downloaded directly?

If you’re using Firefox or Chrome, there are several browser plug-ins available which will identify the link to the audio file and allow you to download it. “Video DownloadHelper” is one: https://www.downloadhelper.net/

Or shoot me a PM with the site link. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have recommendations for similar cues to this one from Isham? Rhythmically consistent, relatively light and upbeat-ish. Thanks!!

On 26/01/2022 at 1:11 PM, Thor said:

Well, yeah, but it also allows for the option to go out on a high. I'm for that.

A high?

You have to rise above crap before you can go out on a high.

Oh.... I get it.

You were being ironic!

Haha😅

You know I have no sense of humour, Bruce, so I'm afraid I was being serious!

I love the show. But I've never been a "Trekkie", so these new, more serious, less campy TREK iterations are more up my alley. 

Do you think Avatar (2009) has held up well?  It was on TV today and I loved watching it but didn't realize it was that old!  I remember seeing it in theaters with what was mind blowing effects but seeing it today, it felt so "video gamish".  The movie, score, and story are all great (if you can get over the Dances with Wolves storyline and just take in as a simplistic plot) but the effects seemed to need a major update.  Disney's "The Mandalorian" and Apple's "Foundation" have greater sfx for about $10 million per episode compared to Avatar's $325 million budget (inflation adjusted).  I get that technology has advanced but do you think the 2009 film holds up or does it need an update?  I am ok with bad effects once you get in to the story (for example, I love 1960's Twilight Zone once you get in to this was early space age with lines like "that's a planet a million miles away" type of stuff and reused sfx from other films.   

1 hour ago, Indianagirl said:

I never held Avatar in high regard. I think it's Cameron's worst film by far. The effects were always video gamish to me. I just never could believe the blue cat people. 

I hold a somewhat opposite feeling for the film myself—I watched it last year on Disney+ and I thought its effects held up great, even if the overall impression of the movie wasn’t quite as good as I remembered it in theaters. 

Avatar is definitely a film that was made for the 3D theater. In that regard, it exceeded its mandate, especially for late 2009. (This is why I’m stoked for Avatar 2 this year.) When watched on a laptop or phone screen, admittedly, it loses its immersiveness and the basic-ness of the plot becomes pretty hard to ignore.

Horses for courses. I've never cared for AVATAR, but my opinion is about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

If someone likes it, then they like it, and no-one should try to take that away from them.

My issue with AVATAR is that it has a MESSAGE, exclamation point, and everyone needs to wise up to the MESSAGE, exclamation point. It demands that you give attention, and that just makes me say "Fuck you". I prefer my messages to be a little more oblique.

I'd rather watch PIRANHA 2, than AVATAR.

5 hours ago, Indianagirl said:

I never held Avatar in high regard. I think it's Cameron's worst film by far.

Worst film? I don't think that it's as downright offensive as TRUE LIES.

11 hours ago, karelm said:

Do you think Avatar (2009) has held up well? 

Yes. Amazing film. My favourite that year, and already an iconic reference point.

7 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Horses for courses. I've never cared for AVATAR, but my opinion is about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

If someone likes it, then they like it, and no-one should try to take that away from them.

My issue with AVATAR is that it has a MESSAGE, exclamation point, and everyone needs to wise up to the MESSAGE, exclamation point. It demands that you give attention, and that just makes me say "Fuck you". I prefer my messages to be a little more oblique.

I'd rather watch PIRANHA 2, than AVATAR.

Worst film? I don't think that it's as downright offensive as TRUE LIES.

Avatar was very preachy. And I'm like you, I don't mind preachy but I prefer it to be a little less obvious. Movie preaching should make you question not leave you feeling hit over the head to the point your intelligence was insulted. 

I forgot about Piranha 2 and have to confess I've never actually seen it. However, I don't hate True Lies. Though, I must admit True Lies would be the next film just above Avatar for me. I'm one of those rare people who actually think the Abyss was Cameron's best film. I love Titanic, Aliens, and T2 don't get me wrong. But for me The Abyss is his best film. The Abyss is a little preachy but its not to the point of being insulting. It doesn't talk to you as if your stupid. But this is just my 2 cents. I don't fault anyone for liking Avatar....I just really didn't and I saw it in 3D originally and I didn't care for that either. 3D just always felt gimicky and unnatural to me. 

1 hour ago, Indianagirl said:

I'm one of those rare people who actually think the Abyss was Cameron's best film....The Abyss is a little preachy but its not to the point of being insulting.

:thumbup:

Fuck, yeah!

It's always been my favourite Cameron film, and it always will be.

T.V., or S.E.?

Is it possible to burn MP3 CDs without any pause between tracks at all? I know you can seamlessly burn audio CDs where you don't notice the transition between tracks at all, but want to do it with MP3 files. So far I keep hearing a minimal pause.

It's impossible to join mp3 files without a gap, there's always a micro gap between them, a micro "lack of music".

You can only do this with WAV or FLAC.

3 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Is it possible to burn MP3 CDs without any pause between tracks at all? I know you can seamlessly burn audio CDs where you don't notice the transition between tracks at all, but want to do it with MP3 files. So far I keep hearing a minimal pause.

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I don't think that's possible. Paging @thx99.

In short, MP3 and AAC compress audio in frames or windows of time, and if your audio file doesn't have a length that is a multiple of the frame/window size, you'll end up with the short gaps at the end of each file.  If you can't re-rip the source material into WAV, AIFF, or FLAC, then you'd have to convert each MP3 to WAV/AIFF/FLAC, manually trim the appropriate number of samples to get rid of the gap, and then confirm that the transition between the current file and the start of the next file is seamless; you may get some funky things in the gap area so it might be trial and error determining where to make the cut.  Then you could burn the WAV/AIFF/FLAC to the audio CD and you should have no more gaps.  It's a pain in the a$$, so hopefully you can still go back to the source material and re-rip.

5 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

My wide screen TV has glare at the left and right edges. Especially noticeable on dark scenes.

Is there a tech term for that?

"Uneven backlight"?

5 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Is it common?

Less common in expensive devices.

On 04/02/2022 at 6:23 PM, thx99 said:

Anyone have recommendations for similar cues to this one from Isham? Rhythmically consistent, relatively light and upbeat-ish. Thanks!!

Life as a House, sounds like the music when youre building a house in one of The Sims games.

8 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

I still say my standard , cathode ray, flat, Panasonic looks better than LED

My Trinitron CRT had awful magnetic distortions on the sides after a few years.

• 2 weeks later...