The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

To comply with forum rules, I’m going to have to ask this in a rather convoluted way. I found a website, or possibly private server that isn’t private at all, that, I think, has a file that I want to download. However, the file is only available as an SFV file that lists lots of file names. The problem is that it’s just the tail end of file names, like ‘filename.txt’ and random codes next to them. Do I have any way to find out the complete link or path to the actual file, or is this SFV useless?

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Do I have any way to find out the complete link or path to the actual file, or is this SFV useless?

The SFV only holds the checksums for the other files (to verify they're genuine). That's it's only function, it neither holds the actual data you're interested in, nor is it meant to act as a pointer to the actual files. If it's lying in a directory on a server though, you might assume that the other files are possible in the same directory and thus have the same base path/base URL.

On 26/02/2022 at 11:34 AM, May the Force be with You said:

Today I've watched some 4K trailer on the warner youtube channel and was surprise by the absolute awful sound of youtube.

Is it just me or the sound is worst than usually?

It's mono and yes, it sounds awful!!

On 02/03/2022 at 2:56 PM, thx99 said:

It's mono and yes, it sounds awful!!

It's got phase issues it sounds like. Must've been a really bad 5.1 or 7.1 mixdown.

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Why do you want to know about Lord Voldemort's musical preferences?

Probably JK Rowling's secret account so she can come out and say that Voldemort was always a fan of one or the other and that the subtext was clearly in the books all along and totally not something that was just made up.

20 minutes ago, Jay said:

Haha yes! Thank you... I don't remember the JJ head slicing moment but still hilarious.

18 minutes ago, Michael G. said:

Random, but what is the piece that starts at 03:58? i'm breaking up inside right now, you probably know the feeling when you don't recognize the name of a familiar piece.

Here you are, my friend.

What film composer do you think has the most sophisticated tonal harmony in their musical vernacular?  I'm not talking about tone clusters because that's an absence of harmony.  An example is how JW frequently uses quartal harmony (harmony based on fourths instead of thirds), and dominant 7th, flat 6, Neapolitan Chord, etc.  But does that make JW the most sophisticated harmonic composer or not, who else do you suggest?   

Ever anybody here besides me used the Report function here by accident? I just tried to scroll through a thread, my browser was kind of freezing in between. Suddenly I got a pop-up "Thanks for your report."

But I didn't mean to and I have no idea, what I reported.

On 22/03/2022 at 1:00 AM, karelm said:

What film composer do you think has the most sophisticated tonal harmony in their musical vernacular?  I'm not talking about tone clusters because that's an absence of harmony.  An example is how JW frequently uses quartal harmony (harmony based on fourths instead of thirds), and dominant 7th, flat 6, Neapolitan Chord, etc.  But does that make JW the most sophisticated harmonic composer or not, who else do you suggest?   

Maurice Jarre?

On 22/03/2022 at 1:00 AM, karelm said:

When you ask about using sophisticated harmonies in the themes there are a lot of examples. When we talk about harmonic variation on each theme wthin a score, then you will hardly find anyone better than Williams, I would say.

6 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Besides Lincoln and North and South, does anyone have any recommendations of good drama scores related to civil war and Lincoln, of the last 40 years?

There's Glory by James Horner and Gettysburg by Randy Edelman (the first being terrific the later a bit less)

I'll add The Good, the Bad and the Ugly which is link to the Civil War though I'm sure you perfectly know it

8 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

I'll add The Good, the Bad and the Ugly which is link to the Civil War though I'm sure you perfectly know it

i have seen the film once and I know the theme, other than that I don't remember anything else of the score.

Well then it's an absolut masterpiece that really desserves to be heard, so I strongly recommend it. The OST program is really comprehensive so no need for an expansion unless you become really fund of the music in which case the Quartet 3CD set is incredible

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I’m not sure I’d recommend it exactly, but for the sake of comprehensiveness I’ll add Mychael Danna’s score for Ang Lee’s civil war drama Ride With the Devil.  Not a bad score by any means.

I love Mychael Danna, he’s an excellent composer. 

27 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

i have seen the film once and I know the theme, other than that I don't remember anything else of the score.

A lot of the material is built on the March and Ballad themes for civil war soldiers, the full score has many stretches by the middle and end where the well-known main theme doesn't even pop up. The OST does present a good picking but I adore the full Quartet.

About Lincoln there's Newman 1939 Young Mr. Lincoln which has a nice music from what I recall of the movie although I don't know if there ever have been a released apart from excerpts in various compilations like this one

7 hours ago, Holko said:

A lot of the material is built on the March and Ballad themes for civil war soldiers, the full score has many stretches by the middle and end where the well-known main theme doesn't even pop up. The OST does present a good picking but I adore the full Quartet.

To be clear:

The FIRST expansion is essential.

It adds great, new themes to the OST from 1968.

I wrote a whole article about this .

Check my.profile😄