The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The synth in Heartbeeps is indeed offensive.

Who are you, Michael Giacchino? 

8 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Besides Lincoln and North and South, does anyone have any recommendations of good drama scores related to civil war and Lincoln, of the last 40 years?

It's a tricky question, because that would also encompass a great many western films and scores. In fact, some have been mentioned already. One would need to make a delineation between western scores and scores from films that deal specifically with the civil war.

7 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

About Lincoln there's Newman 1939 Young Mr. Lincoln which has a nice music from what I recall of the movie although I don't know if there ever have been a released apart from excerpts in various compilations like this one

One of my favorite movies of all time, although of course from the time when drama films were much more sparsely spotted.  But also the OP's question specifically said "of the last 40 years"

Alan Menken’s score for the Lincoln documentary is well worth hunting down. It’s probably long out of print now. I guess it’s a bit more on the nose Americana than JW’s but some lovely writing none the less. There’s a few tracks of either speeches or period tunes (I have programmed them out) but a solid half hour or Menken’s non-Disney side. God knows how he ended up scoring it!

OK, trying to specify the parameters a bit -- i.e. films that are directly related to the civil war in some way, that touches on the civil war itself, or its immediate aftermath, and not only westerns that happen to take place around the time of the civil war.

Titles that have been mentioned so far include LINCOLN (Williams), LINCOLN (Menken), GLORY, GETTYSBURG, THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE UGLY, RIDE WITH THE DEVIL, YOUNG MR. LINCOLN.

The most obvious omission is GONE WITH THE WIND by Steiner. But other fine scores that are civil war-related include SOMMERSBY (Elfman), NEWS OF THE WORLD (JNH), DANCES WITH WOLVES (Barry) and even THE PLAINSMAN by John Williams, which sets the civil war tone in the beginning of the film.

Some newer, fine scores include COPPERHEAD by Laurent Eyquem -- one of the best scores of 2013, as well as Frederik Wiedmann's THE FIELD OF LOST SHOES from 2014.

Can anyone point me to the Williams gif where he is swinging his hips and getting into it while conducting?  Swaying back and forth with the baton...

15 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Alan Menken’s score for the Lincoln documentary is well worth hunting down. It’s probably long out of print now. I guess it’s a bit more on the nose Americana than JW’s but some lovely writing none the less. There’s a few tracks of either speeches or period tunes (I have programmed them out) but a solid half hour or Menken’s non-Disney side. God knows how he ended up scoring it!

Just giving this a listen and reaffirm my recommendation to check it out. Really lovely. Just to clarify that the non-Menken tracks are traditional music from the era not speeches. 

More of a quick answer but for anyone in and around London, the music and video exchange in Notting Hill has a fair few FSM albums (mostly Newman, Waxman) for sale. If there’s a better thread for this, anyone please feel free to copy and paste. They will also have a big new batch of classical music for sale from next week for those classically minded!

28 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

More of a quick answer but for anyone in and around London, the music and video exchange in Notting Hill has a fair few FSM albums (mostly Newman, Waxman) for sale. If there’s a better thread for this, anyone please feel free to copy and paste. They will also have a big new batch of classical music for sale from next week for those classically minded!

I'll take "Where can I buy rare soundtracks, and classical music in London, for $200" :lol:

On 26/03/2022 at 11:48 PM, Andy said:

Can anyone point me to the Williams gif where he is swinging his hips and getting into it while conducting?  Swaying back and forth with the baton...

JW2.gif

25 minutes ago, Michael G. said:

What is the post with the most likes (or reactions) on this forum?

This link shows you the posts with the most reputation, which means the posts with the most reactions that cause an increase of reputation points (Like, Haha, Love, and Thanks): https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/leaderboard/&in=forums-pid&time=oldest

I don't know if there is a way to show the posts with the most total reactions received (so the above four plus Angry, Really Sad, Sad, Surprised, and Confused)

I'm trying to discover the title of a movie about Nero that we had to watch years ago as part of our Latin classes. I have absolutely no information to work with, except that Poppea's last words (I think it's her anyway) were "don't you ever hit me!" before he kills her and towards the end of the movie he says 'and then I will sing to them' before someone else comments that he's lost his marbles. It was all spoken, or dubbed, in English. Can anyone help?

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

I'm trying to discover the title of a movie about Nero that we had to watch years ago as part of our Latin classes. I have absolutely no information to work with, except that Poppea's last words (I think it's her anyway) were "don't you ever hit me!" before he kills her and towards the end of the movie he says 'and then I will sing to them' before someone else comments that he's lost his marbles. It was all spoken, or dubbed, in English. Can anyone help?

It's been a while since I last saw it, so I don't remember if your semi quotes match, but *the* classic movie about Nero is 1951's Quo Vadis. And uneven movie, but with some very good aspects (including some of the cast, and of course the score) that make it worth seeing.

Does anyone remember which specialty label release it was that contained the AFM musicians list for a different score by mistake?

On 06/04/2022 at 5:19 PM, Stu said:

We watched the classic 70s "I Claudius" miniseries in a high school history class.  Loved it!

When I finally saw that a few years ago, I wondered why we never watched it at school.

11 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

When I finally saw that a few years ago, I wondered why we never watched it at school.

Violence, "adult" themes, John Hurt cutting out the belly of his sister. How's that, for starters? :)

20 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Violence, "adult" themes, John Hurt cutting out the belly of his sister. How's that, for starters? :)

We've had Latin from 3rd (~12 years) to 8th (~18 years) grades high school. I don't think those would have been prohibitive from perhaps 5th grade one. I suppose it just wasn't well known then in German speaking countries in the 90s (in fact I'm not sure it is now), and probably even less so among teachers who had mostly learned their curricula years earlier (we did watch Quo Vadis I believe, but I was sick for that and didn't see it until years later).

On 06/04/2022 at 2:55 PM, bollemanneke said:

I feel I really should know the answer to this, as I did a course on Neronian literature and society as part of my degree!  Marian is likely to to be right on Quo Vadis, which was one of the films I had to watch.  I also remember having to watch Federico Fellini's Satyricon, which was a couple of hours of my life I will never get back.

rey1.pngrey2.png

Can anyone give more info on what was intended with this piano part of Rey's theme from the score of SW7? It says C.D. overlap, but to my knowledge it never made it onto the album. Is it maybe just an earlier version?

If you're asking about being notified that you won a day, no, there isn't. 

If you're asking about being notified about likes in general, yes, there is. Hamburger icon in the upper right / Account / Account Settings / Notification Settings

Could anyone recommend a free and quick way to download an entire Youtube playlist, so not individual tracks? Preferably in as is quality, but as long as audio is not changed I'm okay with anything.

26 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Could anyone recommend a free and quick way to download an entire Youtube playlist, so not individual tracks? Preferably in as is quality, but as long as audio is not changed I'm okay with anything.

There are tons of ways to do this I think, but I use MediaHuman.  You can just paste the URL of the whole playlist in their downloader program.  https://www.mediahuman.com/youtube-to-mp3/22/

29 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

On the command line, youtube-dl can download individual videos and playlists (or parts thereof).

Excellent recommendation, @Marian Schedenig.  FYI, I've moved over to "yt-dlp" for speed.  "youtube-dl" has been painfully sloooooowwwwww for me lately (like 60kpbs slow).

I've used both. I think yt-dlp had a preference of choosing video or audio formats that my Raspberry Pi wouldn't play, so I switched back to youtube-dl. But yes, it's been very slow recently, downloading a simple trailer takes a couple of minutes.

14 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I've used both. I think yt-dlp had a preference of choosing video or audio formats that my Raspberry Pi wouldn't play, so I switched back to youtube-dl. But yes, it's been very slow recently, downloading a simple trailer takes a couple of minutes.

You may already know this but both "yt-dlp" and "youtube-dl" allow you to control what gets downloaded using the "-f" switch.

First, use the "-F" switch to see all available formats.  For example, using "youtube-dl":

Spoiler

youtube-dl "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n49TsZAwFEs" -F

[youtube] n49TsZAwFEs: Downloading webpage
[info] Available formats for n49TsZAwFEs:

format code  extension  resolution note
249          webm       audio only tiny   47k , webm_dash container, opus @ 47k (48000Hz), 697.35KiB
250          webm       audio only tiny   62k , webm_dash container, opus @ 62k (48000Hz), 922.93KiB
251          webm       audio only tiny  123k , webm_dash container, opus @123k (48000Hz), 1.78MiB
140          m4a        audio only tiny  129k , m4a_dash container, mp4a.40.2@129k (44100Hz), 1.86MiB
394          mp4        256x144    144p   67k , mp4_dash container, av01.0.00M.08@  67k, 30fps, video only, 993.50KiB
160          mp4        256x144    144p   84k , mp4_dash container, avc1.4d400c@  84k, 30fps, video only, 1.22MiB
278          webm       256x144    144p   88k , webm_dash container, vp9@  88k, 30fps, video only, 1.27MiB
395          mp4        426x240    240p  136k , mp4_dash container, av01.0.00M.08@ 136k, 30fps, video only, 1.96MiB
133          mp4        426x240    240p  158k , mp4_dash container, avc1.4d4015@ 158k, 30fps, video only, 2.28MiB
242          webm       426x240    240p  185k , webm_dash container, vp9@ 185k, 30fps, video only, 2.67MiB
396          mp4        640x360    360p  283k , mp4_dash container, av01.0.01M.08@ 283k, 30fps, video only, 4.08MiB
134          mp4        640x360    360p  313k , mp4_dash container, avc1.4d401e@ 313k, 30fps, video only, 4.51MiB
243          webm       640x360    360p  334k , webm_dash container, vp9@ 334k, 30fps, video only, 4.81MiB
135          mp4        854x480    480p  485k , mp4_dash container, avc1.4d401f@ 485k, 30fps, video only, 6.98MiB
397          mp4        854x480    480p  505k , mp4_dash container, av01.0.04M.08@ 505k, 30fps, video only, 7.27MiB
244          webm       854x480    480p  553k , webm_dash container, vp9@ 553k, 30fps, video only, 7.96MiB
136          mp4        1280x720   720p  913k , mp4_dash container, avc1.4d401f@ 913k, 30fps, video only, 13.13MiB
398          mp4        1280x720   720p 1013k , mp4_dash container, av01.0.05M.08@1013k, 30fps, video only, 14.56MiB
247          webm       1280x720   720p 1038k , webm_dash container, vp9@1038k, 30fps, video only, 14.93MiB
399          mp4        1920x1080  1080p 1812k , mp4_dash container, av01.0.08M.08@1812k, 30fps, video only, 26.05MiB
248          webm       1920x1080  1080p 2115k , webm_dash container, vp9@2115k, 30fps, video only, 30.40MiB
137          mp4        1920x1080  1080p 3179k , mp4_dash container, avc1.640028@3179k, 30fps, video only, 45.69MiB
18           mp4        640x360    360p  676k , avc1.42001E, 30fps, mp4a.40.2 (44100Hz), 9.72MiB
22           mp4        1280x720   720p 1042k , avc1.64001F, 30fps, mp4a.40.2 (44100Hz) (best)

Then, you can use the "-f" switch and specify which stream(s) (via the "format code" value) you want to download.  So in the example above, if you want just the "129k" "audio only" M4A stream, you would use "-f 140", like this:

Spoiler

youtube-dl "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n49TsZAwFEs" -f 140

If you wanted the best quality video with the M4A, you would use "-f 137+140", like this:

Spoiler

youtube-dl "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n49TsZAwFEs" -f 137+140

Same process with "yt-dlp".

It's likely that the Opus audio is being downloaded if you don't specify and your Raspberry Pi isn't able to play it.  Just guessing here, though.

image.png

Does anyone have this fantastic picture of JW in high resolution and could send it? 

Funny how they just replaced de micorfone there with a cutout from the right, the laser swords are arranged the same there