The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

Anyone else have occasionally fluctuating tempo perception? As in, you know a cue or song well, you know and feel how it should go, but when you listen to it it's a different speed? For me when I notice it it's often slower in the mornings and faster at night than I feel it should be.

43 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Not really. I'm being a little facetious.

Never mind, it's all fixed now. Apparently (de)activating the joypad is not included in the save file but in the set file.

Very long shot, but... I suddenly remember hearing a rather stupid, French song on the radio when I was a child that had the whole family in stitches. It's either in G major or G-flat major and the chorus goes: chalalalala, oh-oh-oh! Notes are D-D-D-E-A (lower), F-sharp-E-D. Tempo is allegro (so rather fast). Anyone any ideas?

15 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Very long shot, but... I suddenly remember hearing a rather stupid, French song on the radio when I was a child that had the whole family in stitches. It's either in G major or G-flat major and the chorus goes: chalalalala, oh-oh-oh! Notes are D-D-D-E-A (lower), F-sharp-E-D. Tempo is allegro (so rather fast). Anyone any ideas?

?

On 28/04/2022 at 10:53 AM, Holko said:

Anyone else have occasionally fluctuating tempo perception? As in, you know a cue or song well, you know and feel how it should go, but when you listen to it it's a different speed? For me when I notice it it's often slower in the mornings and faster at night than I feel it should be.

Sometimes that happened to me with the Imperial March

What's the correct English term for a CD case that can hold two discs but is bigger than a normal case? So in other words, LLL's HP1 case format and not their Home Alone case. I want to buy an empty one.

10 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

What's the correct English term for a CD case that can hold two discs but is bigger than a normal case? So in other words, LLL's HP1 case format and not their Home Alone case. I want to buy an empty one.

Chubby jewel case

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B097S48MQ9

Is there a fully transparent one for that? Since I'm sure one would want the inlays to be visible (though if this is just 2 discs, then I guess it would be formatted like this based on MJ's HIStory album).

First time watching MP&Holy Grail with commentaries and multiple of them mention that Neil Innes originally scored it through, but it wasn't working and at that point the budget only allowed them to use library music as a replacement. Has that original score ever been released?

He is. Also Robin's minstrel, and the servant that gets the Trojan rabbit dropped on him. Some of his pieces like the heavenly choir still survive in-film.

47 minutes ago, Holko said:

He is. Also Robin's minstrel, and the servant that gets the Trojan rabbit dropped on him. Some of his pieces like the heavenly choir still survive in-film.

…and are of course not included in the De Wolfe soundtrack that was finally released digitally while ago.

I think they also said a lot of his pieces were "of the era", semi-diegetic, with period instruments and the like. Ended up undercutting their undercutting of this era, the grand heightened movie-reality Homeward Bound and Promised Land give it are a lot better fit. It'd still be nice to hear the original attempt.

• 3 weeks later...

In a bout of sleeplessness last night, youtube presented me with the first episode of The Outer Limits 1963.  I LOVED it!!!  How is the rest of the series?  Is it worth seeing?  I'll have to subscribe to it to watch so please let me know if worth it.  I assume it's not as fantastic as Twilight Zone since not as highly regarded.  For example, more monster of the week than thought provoking, complex stories with great music, excellent actors, writers, directors, etc.  Am I wrong?  TZ had the best writers working in sci-fi, the best composers (Herrmann, Goldsmith, Steiner, etc.), best writers (Serling, Matheson, Beaumont, G.C. Johnson, Harlan Ellison, Bradbury), etc.

I recently borrowed the two disc edition of RIDER ON THE RAIN dvd.

It included the English version on one disc and the French version on disc two.

I was unable to play disc two on my DVD player BUT....it was playable on my bluray.

So, does this mean my bluray can play any type of disc I e. region coded foreign movies?

Thanks!

One more time....

The release of RIDER IN THE RAIN contains:

1. DVD of the English.version

2.DVD of the French version.

The ENGLISH version can be played in a standard DVD machine.

The FRENCH version will NOT play in a standard DVD player BUT...

It WILL PLAY in a bluray PLAYER.

So, my question is;

Does this mean my BLURAY.player can play region locked, foreign DVDs ( and also blurays)?

1 hour ago, bruce marshall said:

The ENGLISH version can be played in a standard DVD machine.

The FRENCH version will NOT play in a standard DVD player BUT...

It WILL PLAY in a bluray PLAYER.

You haven't told us *why* it won't play in the DVD player. It might just be a hardware or software issue with the player.

1 hour ago, bruce marshall said:

So, my question is;

Does this mean my BLURAY.player can play region locked, foreign DVDs ( and also blurays)?

Unlikely, as Blu players are *much* more strict regarding region locks. With DVD players, once the encryption was cracked and deemed to primitive to be worthy of legal protection, almost every cheap DVD player I bought would play discs from any region. With Blu, *no* player you can buy regularly will play foreign region Blus. There were two or three devices in the earlier years of the format, but they got shut down after a while. I have a region free Momitsu that was my first player, but sadly it stopped playing Blu discs years ago, unless I hit it repeatedly for 15 minutes. I ended up buying a cheap-ish Sony in NYC to be able to still play region A discs. I have three Blu players in use because of this mess…

And at least those Blu players I have/have tried were region locked for DVDs as well.

Now the French dvd plays in.the DVD player.

First time I tried a notice appeared on the screen saying the disc was incompatible!

Thanks to the people who tried to impart useful information

44 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Greasy fingers.

Sometimes that is true.

My DVD player doesn't tolerate finger prints on discs!😄

Question to Americans who know something about Mozart: I'm listening to a lecture on his biography by an American professor who comes across as very knowledgeable (and extremely enthusiastic). Every time he refers to the Köchel catalogue, however, he pronounces it as 'Kurshel'. Is this the American way seeing as there's no r in this German word? Or is he just mistaken? I find it hard to believe, but you never know.

6 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Question to Americans who know something about Mozart: I'm listening to a lecture on his biography by an American professor who comes across as very knowledgeable (and extremely enthusiastic). Every time he refers to the Köchel catalogue, however, he pronounces it as 'Kurshel'. Is this the American way seeing as there's no r in this German word? Or is he just mistaken? I find it hard to believe, but you never know.

Is this Robert Greenberg?  I think the Kurshel pronunciation is correct.  I've seen in German, the 'ö' is pronounced 'er'.  An ordinary 'o' has a slightly elongated 'o' sound so would have been more Kochel.  It's the same with Schönberg where it get's pronounced as Schernberg.  

Yes, it's him! And I love his style. 

But... When you say er, do you mean like the British say er? That's how I pronounce Köchel, but I never thought the American 'er' would be correct. After all, you don't write Körchel.

5 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Yes, it's him! And I love his style. 

But... When you say er, do you mean like the British say er? That's how I pronounce Köchel, but I never thought the American 'er' would be correct. After all, you don't write Körchel.

Yeah, he's great!  Funny too (or at least I like his humor).  I edited my response to include Schönberg.  I can't really speak to how Brits say it but I hear the later as pronounced Schernberg using the same reasoning.