The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

What do you think of Spielberg's first feature film, "Firelight" (1964)?  He was 17 years old when he made this 140 minute film that was never shown in public and is about a couple getting abducted by aliens...sort of a prequel to Close Encounters. :)  Five short years later, he was directing Joan Crawford on what is his first professional credit, an episode of Night Gallery (1969).

I was watching this compilation of old commercials that aired in the early 2000s on Cartoon Network from Brazil, and now I want to know the name of the piece of music for strings that plays on this commercial from 4:15 to 5:13.

Sounds like something from Morricone or another European composer, but I'm not sure.

13 hours ago, karelm said:

What do you think of Spielberg's first feature film, "Firelight" (1964)?  He was 17 years old when he made this 140 minute film that was never shown in public and is about a couple getting abducted by aliens...sort of a prequel to Close Encounters. :)  Five short years later, he was directing Joan Crawford on what is his first professional credit, an episode of Night Gallery (1969).

Well, hard to make a proper judgement based on the few clips that have been made available over the years. But yeah -- from those clips, you can certainly glean a talent. I've been more interested in his subsequent television work, which boasts some impressive shots (especially "LA 2017" from THE NAME OF THE GAME).

9 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I was watching this compilation of old commercials that aired in the early 2000s on Cartoon Network from Brazil, and now I want to know the name of the piece of music for strings that plays on this commercial from 4:15 to 5:13. Sounds like something from Morricone or another European composer, but I'm not sure.

Certainly has a Morricone vibe, yes, but I suspect it's library music that is tailored to be kinda CINEMA PARADISO-like, given the content of the commercial.

6 hours ago, Thor said:

Well, hard to make a proper judgement based on the few clips that have been made available over the years. But yeah -- from those clips, you can certainly glean a talent. I've been more interested in his subsequent television work, which boasts some impressive shots (especially "LA 2017" from THE NAME OF THE GAME).

Certainly has a Morricone vibe, yes, but I suspect it's library music that is tailored to be kinda CINEMA PARADISO-like, given the content of the commercial.

Agree with both your points.  the commercial music doesn't sound like true Morricone but sounds like something in the style of Morricone.  Using true Morricone would be very costly to license so agreed that this is library music.  

Of these three, who would you say had the greatest impact on music? Bach, Beethoven, or Beatles? Part of the reason why I ask, I've never heard a single album of the Beatles, and some can argue they were more impactful/influential to the course of music than the greatest classical composers. Similarly, some might argue the greatest composers were at their prime, just as important to music as the Beatles if not more. Perhaps none of these are the right answer and some rap artist or someone I've never heard of is the most impactful?

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I know lots of Beatles songs - I just never sat and listened to an album so probably have never heard 75% of their music but what I have heard transcends their era...just like the greatest composers.

Don’t know the answer, but the Beatles later albums were more than a collection of songs. They were concept albums, quite different than their early albums.  So the experience was greater than the sum of its parts, something being lost in todays stream one song society that doesn’t have patience for listening to a physical album. 

What’s astonishing is how quickly they evolved over, what, maybe six years between Hard Days Night and Let it Be. 

Sorry, I don’t know much about Beethoven or Bach. You should check out the Beatles starting with Revolver at least. 

You should, @Thor, it's one of the defining moments of British television.

The film is a good distillation of the TV show, and with a cast that includes Oldman, Hurt, Cumberbatch, Firth, Strong, Hinds, Jones, Hardy, and Lloyd Pack, you just can't go wrong.

@karelm, watch the telly show, then watch the film.

I have something which I would like some advice on.

I have a list of TV shows I want to watch. But I find it hard to start a series and especially to continue watching them. A lot of the time new/old movies, new series, books or listening to new scores get in the way.

I was wondering how some of you keep uo to date. If you choose to watch a series of say 6 seasons, and ignore everything else, or do you have the same thing as me. That you start, and then at season 2 something else comes along and then suddenly you're weeks later and still at season 2?

Any thoughts or tips on this?

4 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I have something which I would like some advice on.

I have a list of TV shows I want to watch. But I find it hard to start a series and especially to continue watching them. A lot of the time new/old movies, new series, books or listening to new scores get in the way.

I was wondering how some of you keep uo to date. If you choose to watch a series of say 6 seasons, and ignore everything else, or do you have the same thing as me. That you start, and then at season 2 something else comes along and then suddenly you're weeks later and still at season 2?

Any thoughts or tips on this?

Personnally, I binge-watch. One series at a time, every available seasons.

I know I started several series in the last years, then I forgot I was watching them... waiting for an X season... Finally, I totally lost the count of where I am in several of them.

When I hear that a "great" series has not been renewed for another season, that's usually my cue to restart them and watch everything, at once.

5 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

The film is a good distillation of the TV show, and with a cast that includes Oldman, Hurt, Cumberbatch, Strong, Hinds, Jones, Hardy, and Lloyd Pack, you just can't go wrong.

No love for Firth?

• 3 weeks later...

I don’t know if anyone remembers the old (possibly made up) statistic that at any time of day there was a Jerry Goldsmith theme playing on tv somewhere in the world… I’m guessing that mantle has been passed to either Bear McCreary or Ramin Djawadi… any other possible contenders for ubiquitous appearances of their music on tv?!

Based on this quote, does anyone know what Ravi Shankar album Crosby gave Harrison?  I'd really love to hear it.

"David Crosby was friends with George Harrison, and he also helped change the trajectory of his music career and life. He gave Harrison a Ravi Shankar album. Harrison and Shankar would go on to have a fruitful musical and spiritual relationship. Crosby didn’t realize the importance of this at the time, but Harrison told him that he made a significant impact on his life with his gift."

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, this is a stupid question, but I just can't figure it out. How can you search into websites using the wayback machine? So to be clear, I want to search a website they have in their archives for a keyword. I can reach the website just fine, but can't seem to search it.

In SUPERMAN, Superman takes Luthor, and Otis, to prison, but in SUPERMAN II, he, quite happily, murders the three villains, after which, he destroys the Fortress Of Solitude.

Why? He's stripped them of their powers, so they are harmless. Why kill them?

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

In SUPERMAN, Superman takes Luthor, and Otis, to prison, but in SUPERMAN II, he, quite happily, murders the three villains, after which, he destroys the Fortress Of Solitude.

The original story had a different ending.  Donner's version, Superman went back in time to when they were trapped again in their floating prison thing.  Donner got fired and Lester came in and made a very different movie. 

7 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I don't think the intent was to kill them, since there is available footage shot of police coming to arrest them and Luthor. So it's fairly likely they were simply put into some form of holding cells when thrown into the small chasms. However, I guess it made the movie run overtime, so it's only in the early TV airings and special features on the RDC release (which makes me question who actually shot those bits if Donner only had the reversing Earth thing in mind).

Ah, Bes! We were beginning to worry about you!

Yes, if a composer's output merits it. I'm pretty sure that Beethoven, or Mozart, or Handel, or Schubert, could occupy 100 CDs.

Also, I'm pretty sure that many conductor's output would fill 100 CDs.

Heck with all of the Bootleg series, I'm sure we have nigh-on 100, for Dylan.

17 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Ah, Bes! We were beginning to worry about you!

Yes, if a composer's output merits it. I'm pretty sure that Beethoven, or Mozart, or Handel, or Schubert, could occupy 100 CDs.

Also, I'm pretty sure that many conductor's output would fill 100 CDs.

Heck with all of the Bootleg series, I'm sure we have nigh-on 100, for Dylan.

Of course, that's where I wanted to go... to get 100 CD for a pop/rock artist, it usually implies to mix together the studio recordings, the lives and some rarities or bootlegs.

I'm against that! :pfft:

5 hours ago, Bespin said:

What do you think you guys of a 100-CD boxset for an artist? (when he have enough material to do it of course).

I don't have any, and there are few artists for whom I'd consider investing in such a thing (and if I would, I probably have too many of the discs already to warrant getting them all over again). But I suppose they make sense if we're talking about *performing artists*. For composers I doubt they make sense - I love getting full symphony cycles and stuff like that, which are usually limited to something not exceeding 15 or so discs, and which have a certain consistency in interpretation and performance. But when it gets to 100 disc "complete works" sets for *composers*, you really have to question how many of the selected recordings you're actually interested in vs how different your own "complete works" selection would be if you picked each recording individually.

I've got the Previn EMI box, and I'm planning to get the Szell Sony box. However, one major downside to such boxes is that they're quite impractical when it comes to handling. I prefer smaller boxes.

When you find it, you can add

trying to find a thread that's like "things only JWFan members do" or "you might be a film score fan if.."

to the things listed in it.

Question. Can I connect a PlayStation to my computer and use it as a temporary Blu-Ray drive? If so, what do I need? The idea is to rip Blu-Ray audio. I only don't have my own BR drive.

Follow-up: will any Blu-Ray drive read BR audio? The only brand my local shop is offering is Verbatim, but they just told me they can’t be sure whether their own stuff supports BR Audio.

As far as I know, any drive will read any type of Blu-ray format (because they all use the same file system, only the folder structure and content differ). Whether you can then decode and play the content depends on the software.

3 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Follow-up: will any Blu-Ray drive read BR audio? The only brand my local shop is offering is Verbatim, but they just told me they can’t be sure whether their own stuff supports BR Audio.

You might be able to find a cheaper blu-ray-drive to hook up to your computer through Amazon, Newegg, or some other online store, than your local shop.

But either way, yes, you can use your computer to rip the audio out of a Blu Ray movie or the audio out of a Blu Ray Audio release, if you have the right software on your computer.

Drive arrived today, cost me €99, but what the hell. Next up, buying JW in Vienna/Berlin on Blu-Ray, then Harry Potter, then  forcing myself not to update the whole DVD collection.

On 12/03/2023 at 8:04 PM, Cerebral Cortex said:

I've been trying to find a thread that's like "things only JWFan members do" or "you might be a film score fan if.." but can't remember it. Anyone know what I mean?

This the thread you're talking about?

• 2 months later...

Could anyone tell me how normal people are supposed to set up shipping methods on Discogs? Like, just a human way? Instead of ranging from, up to, and total of, and terms that mean absolutely nothing to me? Is it just impossible to ship to the EU only and charge 4 per disc in ten seconds?

EDIT: Sorted it out, just charging no shipping. To hell with their calculator.