The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

So we all have those little questions sometimes that you want the answer to, but you don't think they need a whole thread. Well, this is the thread for those questions!

And to start: What should I get: The A New Hope soundtrack from 1997, or 2004? The tracklists are the same, but the '04 says it's remastered... which is better, though?

I believe that there is no difference in actual music, and I would recommend the 1997 version just for the superior liner notes. But I'd wait until somebody who actually knows what they're talking about tells you, because I could be wrong.

Notes about the score. Usually written by either the composer, the director, or someone hired to beef up the release. In the 1997 version, there's a thick booklet that analyzes the entire score.

THe 2004 version has...nothing in terms of liner notes.

Well, I'm at an FYE, and they have the '97 edition used for $10, and the '04 one for $20-something. I think the choice is clear! It won't match my '04 ROTJ, but it's the music that counts.

I'm glad you like the thread... I can't take credit for the idea, though, there's a thread like this on a Shakira forum I belong to, and I figured I'd bring it here... and I had a question. lol

I think she's one of the multitude of teenie so-called celebrities who don't really have any talent, but is cute and so she appears on all the useless magazine covers and the E channel weekly roundups. I'm embarassed I actually know that much about her.

Quick question: who is Shakira?

WHAT?!?! World-famous superstar! 'Hips Don't Lie', 'Whenever, Wherever'...

Please go find a song called "Ojos Así". Even if you can't understand it.

The ANH CD's case is noticably scratched... would that matter to you guys?

I think she's one of the multitude of teenie so-called celebrities who don't really have any talent, but is cute and so she appears on all the useless magazine covers and the E channel weekly roundups. I'm embarassed I actually know that much about her.

No... she isn't like that at all. She is talented, she has an entire charity foundation that she founded when she was 18! Just watch her MTV Unplugged concert. That'll show you she's not like other celebs.

The ANH CD's case is noticably scratched... would that matter to you guys?

Obviously, it's more fun to have one without the scratches, but that happens to most of my jewel cases eventually, anyway. It's really up to you. If the disc and liner notes are in good condition, if the price is good, and if there's no better option, I personally would go for it.

Well, I got. The case's condition is terrible... the upper connector of the two pieces of it is broken, so one half kind of hangs of the other.

The CDs themselves look pretty good, but I have yet to listen to them. Hopefully their previous owner treated them better than the case.

Thanks for the help, guys!

This seems like a good thread to ask: Can anybody recommend me some good cues that feature an alto sax? I have a friend that plays it, and I want to recommend some good cues to him that he'd like, and I figure that's where I'll start. I already have a few from CMIYC. Any others that you guys can think of?

New quick question: I got the CD, and although the booklet says that the Binary Sunset alternate is 2:19 seconds long, iTunes says that it's 17:00. I thought that it was just silence, because when I played the CD itself, there was just long silence after the music ended. I fast-fowarded a bit in iTunes, and five minutes into the track, there seems to be an alternate cue of the opening crawl... or something... but it's long. Is this an easter egg or something?

EDIT: Nevermind, the booklet (very nice booklet indeed!) explains it. I don't get the point of the silence, though, they could've just made a new track.

New quick question: I got the CD, and although the booklet says that the Binary Sunset alternate is 2:19 seconds long, iTunes says that it's 17:00. I thought that it was just silence, because when I played the CD itself, there was just long silence after the music ended. I fast-fowarded a bit in iTunes, and five minutes into the track, there seems to be an alternate cue of the opening crawl... or something... but it's long. Is this an easter egg or something?

EDIT: Nevermind, the booklet (very nice booklet indeed!) explains it. I don't get the point of the silence, though, they could've just made a new track.

Okay - it's my theory that Mike Mattessino and the restoration team were very restricted in their track sequencing and titling. Ever wonder why Williams's original cue titles were rejected in favor of technically accurate in-universe names (e.g. "Jawa Sandcrawler," "Binary Sunset," "Dianoga")? Lucasfilm probably stipulated that the track lists be aesthetically pleasing to Star Wars fans. Therefore titles like "Main Title (take 17)" would have been out. Sticking this material onto the alternate "Binary Sunset" track was probably the only way to include it. I suspect this is also the reason so many alternate cues from Empire and Jedi were sandwiched into the scores proper rather than given their own tracks.

A place where one does a lot of drinking. Or, alternatively, a measure (a small grouping of beats) in music. Why do you ask?

And Henry, that very well may be the case, but it still doesn't explain why there should be more than 2 minutes of silence. Why not just have...like, thirty seconds? And for the record...I don't like most of the track titles. Some of the are fine, but I get so tired of the slashes. IMO, if you're going to include multiple cues in one track, don't bother providing a name for each one. Just use a single, concise name that captures what's going on...and if there are multiple things going on that need to be separately announced in the track title, use a dash, not a slash. The Death Star - Stormtroopers looks a lot better to me than The Death Star/Stormtroopers. And even better than both is simply The Death Star!

Regarding the Special Editions and track titles, the old ones were better. One of the worst is "Brother And Sister/Father And Son/The Fleet Enters Hyperspace/Heroic Ewok". That is way too damn long. Tracks like "The Desert" got nerdy titles like "The Dune Sea Of Tatooine". Don't even get me started on the subtitles for the battle tracks.

I got a question. Is there a name for that Bespin motiv heard beginning at the end of "Carbon Freeze" when Lando argues with Vader over the fate of Leia and Chewbacca?

Quick question:

I got a question. Is there a name for that Bespin motiv heard beginning at the end of "Carbon Freeze" when Lando argues with Vader over the fate of Leia and Chewbacca?

May you list Track times, if you would?

Assuming you're talking about the stuff starting around 4:17 (RCA or Sony), that's not really a separate motif. Just a different development of the Imperial March that he wrote for the end of that cue and the start of the next one.

Oh, that part! Man, I LOVE this cue. And Joe is correct, it is a "different [AND EXTREMELY AWESOME]development of the Imperial March". Oh, and since we are on the subject: how lame is the title "Carbon Freeze/Darth Vader's Trap/ Departure of Boba Fett"?

Oh, I love the statements of Yoda's Theme around 6:00 or so....

It's a lame title indeed. If I were naming it, I'd probably try to keep it down to two parts, since it'd be hard to sum up the action in one title. I'd probably keep "Carbon Freeze," since it's cool and descriptive and it happens to be the original cue title, which I like to preserve if it's good. Maybe...Carbon Freeze - It's a Trap! or Carbon Freeze - Vader's Trap.

It's a lame title indeed. If I were naming it, I'd probably try to keep it down to two parts, since it'd be hard to sum up the action in one title.

I'd probably keep "Carbon Freeze," since it's cool and descriptive and it happens to be the original cue title

How do you know that?

Maybe...Carbon Freeze - It's a Trap!

No, it reminds too much of Admiral Ackbar from Star Wars Episode VI: The Return of the Jedi, and thusly, his cereal.

Carbon Freeze - Vader's Trap.

That one sounds pretty decent. What was the title on the original or Anthology release, assuming it is on those?

How do you know that?

Check your email. :D

No, it reminds too much of Admiral Ackbar from Star Wars Episode VI: The Return of the Jedi, and thusly, his cereal.

:) Yeah, it's not quite to my taste. Some people are addicted to quotes in the titles, though. (And I'm not sure what title it had on the Anthology release, if it was indeed on there.)

Well, there actually is a Bespin motive that's most evident in "City in the Clouds" (after the landing). You can hear a little reprise in "Rescue from Cloud City" when Luke gets strung up on the weather vane. It's just a little descending brass figure.

Irina's Theme is pretty fun to play, in my opinion.

EDIT: Oh, I misread your question. Well, my answer still stands!

There's a track on Elfman's Serenada Schizophrana, called "Improv for Alto Sax"

Ah, thanks guys! I can't believe I forgot "Irina's Theme."

Oh, and since we are on the subject: how lame is the title "Carbon Freeze/Darth Vader's Trap/ Departure of Boba Fett"?

Worst track titles are from the Ultimate Edition. Titles like "Darth Sidious Receives News of the Gungan Army."

Maybe...Carbon Freeze - It's a Trap!

Their taste buds can't withstand flavor of that magnitude!