The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

Anybody know?

Instantly recognisable Goldsmith. I believe Horner's was the one prior to this (with the Universal text spinning over the globe in 3D).

Also, besides the Dreamworks Logo music and possibly this one, which other Logo music did JW write?

Something for some company called Ladd. Not sure I ever heard it.

Yeah, it's still in the Final Cut.

There's also the Amblin logo.

Question for somebody with the Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Score album (paging Dr. Crichton!): when I play the alternate version of "Sacrifice" from "The Gift" (which in actuality is from the "Bargaining" two-parter, I hear), there's just a tiny bit of music missing at the beginning, and it causes track to start with a "pop". It's fixable by using the first note of the actual cue that appeared on the OMWF album (and amplifying it a bit). But I was just wondering if there was a problem with my disc, or if they're all like that.

Sorry, just saw this. I think it's just your disc, I just checked and mine doesn't have that. I hardly ever listen to the alternate though, just the final version from the musical OST. I made a playlist that includes everything from the official score album, the non-musical score cues from OMWF, and the season 3 promo, in episode order. A very long and nice listen. :o

Huh, interesting. Thanks for checking.

Anybody know?

Instantly recognisable Goldsmith. I believe Horner's was the one prior to this (with the Universal text spinning over the globe in 3D).

Also, besides the Dreamworks Logo music and possibly this one, which other Logo music did JW write?

Something for some company called Ladd. Not sure I ever heard it.

It's Williams, alright, and it was first heard on "Outland", which was the first Ladd Company release. It is in wonderful 5.1, on "B.R: The Final Cut", and is also on a rather nifty Polish "Blade Runner" bootleg c.d.

Don't forget original trailer music for "A.I.", and the teaser trailer for "1941", featuring "Wild" Wayne Kelso.

Is there a suggested chronological placement for "Jewish Town - Krakow Ghetto, Winter '41" ?

This is my playlist for SL as best as I could figure:

1. Schindler's Workforce

2. Stolen Memories

3. OYF'N Pripetshok

4. Immolation

5. Making the List

6. Give Me Your Names

7. Auschwitz

8. I Could Have Done More

9. Yeroushalaim Chel Zahav

10. Theme

11. Theme reprise

12. Remembrances

13. Jewish Town

14. Remembrances (Perlman)

Does anyone know what the best program/techniques for waveform editing are? I have a particular track that I'm trying to fix, and despite having the CD (and therefore, WAV files) at my disposal, it's not coming out the way I want it to.

Is there a suggested chronological placement for "Jewish Town - Krakow Ghetto, Winter '41" ?

I've always thought "Jewish Town" is a concert piece...

Does anyone know what the best program/techniques for waveform editing are? I have a particular track that I'm trying to fix, and despite having the CD (and therefore, WAV files) at my disposal, it's not coming out the way I want it to.

What specifically are you trying to do? I use the free program Audacity for all of my music editing needs, and I'm very happy with it. If you have specific questions, I might be able to help.

I've always thought "Jewish Town" is a concert piece...

It is but I usually like to throw the concert pieces into my playlists with the rest of the score and make some chronological sense out of it (rather than placing them strictly at the beginning or end). I kinda figure to begin my SL playlist with Jewish Town. I'll probably just do that.

It is but I usually like to throw the concert pieces into my playlists with the rest of the score and make some chronological sense out of it (rather than placing them strictly at the beginning or end). I kinda figure to begin my SL playlist with Jewish Town. I'll probably just do that.

You know, if this was a cue, I think it would have been perfect for the scene where the Jews are forced to shovel snow and that one-armed old man is shot in the forehead by the Nazis...

Kind of grim and "nostalgic" (it says so in the written score), building up and up to a horrific climax, and then the anti-climax. Also, if you stretch your imagination a bit, there is a sort of "shoveling" rhythm going on in the background.

Where is the best place to get the Hal Leonard JW deluxe edition scores from, considering I would need them shipped to Australia?

Is that where you guys get them directly? I was thinking there might be another (cheaper) outlet, but I've dealt with SheetMusicPlus before and found them to have excellent services and pricing.

Does anyone know exactly what all these executive producers, co-executive producers, co-producers, and associate producers, actually do on a film? Today I saw a poster for a new film that 13 "producers". That can't be right, can it? Any thoughts, folks, 'cause I haven't got a clucking foo!

The imdb Glossary might be of some help.

Alright, I've looked at SheetMusicPlus and they look like my best bet. I'm thinking of picking up a few of the signature editions over the next few weeks - I'm leaning towards Raiders March, Superman March and Prisoner of Azkaban and then Star Wars Suite, Sorcerer's Stone and Chamber of Secrets later down the track. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

While watching that review of Attack of the Clones, I thought I saw JW visiting the set of TPM. Anybody know if this happened? The photo looks like him, minus the dark hair.

johnwilliamsmenacemovie.gif

My first quick question, so exciting.

I have some funds in my Paypal account (somebody refunded me for an eBay item or so), and I thought that would be automatically used when I placed my CD order just now (with Lalaland). But no, it's still there, and the full 60 dollars will be charged to my credit card. Now, how do I use that refunded money that is apparently in the Paypal Interdimension?

Does it have to do with the fact that the money is in euros and I paid my CDs with dollars? Do I first have to use Paypal's crappy conversion system?

But then his credit card wouldn't have been charged either. Perhaps you could just put the refund back into your bank account, that way it'll be used next time you buy through Paypal.

Well, I'd rather not add a bank account number to PayPal (you never know...).

This didn't use to be a problem, though, so I guess my best guess is indeed the euros vs dollars thing. Weird, though.

MV stated that orders for ID-4 and Poseidon won't be charged until they ship them.

Unfortunately not true, they charged my MasterCard almost immediately after I ordered.

Is the 2000 re-recording of Jaws by McNeely worth picking up?

A tough one. It is certainly worth hearing the score in digital stereo, and in a more up-to-date recording, a-la "Superman", but if you have the recent-ish Decca re-release ( and, if not, WHY NOT?!) then the McNeely is superfluous. If you want to investigate a really good McNeely score, you could do a lot worse than "The Avengers".

Is the 2000 re-recording of Jaws by McNeely worth picking up?

It is interesting, the re-recording sounds more "Herrmannish" to me, so it's an interesting take on the score.

No, it's awful. I'm a huge fan of McNeely's recordings but this one missed the boat.

The tempo is off, the shark theme sounds the same each time it's played. It's also missing some music, the moment Brody finds Chrissie's remains isn't presented. It lacks the punch and suspense of the original cues.

I suppose if you want to hear how Jaws might sound in a modern concert this would be the album for you.

Yeah, is that even JW? :P

No. It's a generic one-size-fits-all banner in preparation of the day this unofficial fan site of Michael Giacchino, Hans Zimmer, and Jerry Goldsmith becomes official.

Dear all, I have a question regarding a CD I brought on ebay last year.

It's "Angela's ashes" promo score. I've confirmed that it's a press CD, not CDr.

The cover and the disc are showing below.

The code in the centre of the CD is "CDV/CA A202083".

Can anyone tell me is it a true promo copy or only a pirate copy? Is it legit? And, if it's a true promo, how rare it is?

Thank you!

post-3355-127285009524_thumb.jpg

post-3355-127285021108_thumb.jpg

Well, that looks identical to the one I got 10ish years ago, which I've never had a reason to think wasn't legit

It's real, and it's rare I suppose. That's the one without dialogue right?

Yes, no dialogue, and have only 16 tracks. Hard to believe that I can buy it on ebay at only $16.

Not really a question as much as a comment...John Debney posted the Main Title from Hocus Pocus on his Facebook page. It's rather interesting, as it is a recording with no choir. May even be a different mix...certain instruments are significantly more clear than on the promo.