The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

Another quick question... There's this little motif that opens "The Arrival of Baby Harry" in first Potter soundtrack that it' amazing, but I don't remember hearing it anywhere else on the score. What does it represent?

What's the title of the track from "Aliens" that was tracked into "Die Hard" when Powell shoots Karl (I think that was his name) at the end of the film? And is it on the Aliens CD? If not, where is it...?

Sorry if that's spoilers for anyone. ;)

Thanks!

Yes, it's called "Resolution And Hyperspace", track 19 on the deluxe edition.

On the regular release it's track 9.

And it's mostly unused in the film Aliens as well. The scene is tracked with "Bishop's Countdown"

Well, I'd recommend some other Shore works first; I can imagine it's somewhat hard to get into. Did you find any samples on Amazon or Soundtracknet? Should give you a pretty good idea what to expect.

I only have one non-LotR work by Shore, and it's Ed Wood. If you're looking for suggestions, I highly recommend it (although I wouldn't be able to tell you how it ranks with other non-LotR works).

i have a quick question, what is the motif that plays at the very end of On The Tank? right before the fade out? i think its also played in Marcus In Iskendrun also but im not sure BUT I do know that it appears more than once

The theme from Keeping Up With the Joneses aka the father's theme, I guess. It's a sprightly version of that.

thanks! i was kind of thinking it might be a small motif for marcus or something

I only have one non-LotR work by Shore, and it's Ed Wood. If you're looking for suggestions, I highly recommend it (although I wouldn't be able to tell you how it ranks with other non-LotR works).

You should check out The Departed, Eastern Promises, Edge Of Darkness, and his David Fincher scores: The Game, Panic Room, and Se7en.

The Departed has been on my "Low Priority To Buy List" for a while. Haven't seen the others, but I'll try to get them sometime. I doubt it will be soon, though--after the buying spree of the last few months, I still need to get Williams on Williams, The Last Airbender, and Amazing Stories (I don't have any volumes).

Thanks for the recommendations! Like I said I don't imagine it happening any time soon, but I do plan on buffing up my Shore collection, perhaps during a dry spell for score releases (if we ever get one again).

what is the motif that plays in the begginning of The Scroll? it also plays in Indy and The Villagers i believe, is it a motif for the Sankara Stones?

Yup!

And that theme recieved it's greatest development in the original rejected version of Indy and the villagers that concord didn't include in their set

It ought to be - I don't have his edit, but its existence was common knowledge among those of us who were putting together edits. Came from one of the LEGO games, as I recall. The original is called "The Old Priest's Tale", and the version heard on the soundtrack and in the film is simply called "The Old Priest."

looking at that site there i noticed that the clip of the beggining of "The Child Returns" is cleaner than the version on GM's set, has this been recently released or something? Lego Indy 2?

I made the clip on that site, and I took it from the dvd's real channels, iirc

I do not have the goodmusician set, so cannot speak to its contents.

I made the clip on that site, and I took it from the dvd's real channels, iirc

I do not have the goodmusician set, so cannot speak to its contents.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StlASB6034M

this is your version mixed in with GM's version as you can see his version has animal noises while yours does not

Dear All, last week I've brought a fyc promo "The Quiet American". However, I found that it was in fact a CDr. The art work on the disc looks fine, but I am in doubt. Can any one tell me that if this promo was actually a CDr? Or I've just a pirate copy? Thanks. The cover and the disc are showing below.

post-3355-127725756419_thumb.jpg

Anyone have a higher resolution image for the cover of LaLa's The Big Country?

300x300 is the best I've been able to find:

6794.gif

Is The Phantom Menace and Other Film Hits (1999, Varese) recommendable? The appeal for me is re-recording of TPM music and concert arrangements of Flag Parade and Jar Jar's theme (I've heard the Prague versions and I don't like them at all). What's the story with this one?

you dont like the prauge version of the flag parade? why not? i thought it was the best atleast better then RSO

It's...Prague. ;) Those horns...oh, the nightmares...

i like em, sounds like something a marching band would play at a sports game (which podracing is supposed to be like)

Granted, it's not as bad as I remembered, but those trumpets are headache-inducing, and as usual, the reverb is just weird. Listening to the original recording after that is like taking a cool shower after a long day out in the sun.

And now I feel slow, but I'm finally realizing that the version on the OST is looped. For some reason, I had this idea in my head that the OST version was the full cue, and the UE was shortened to match the film edit. Nope!

Yeah I never got that decision to loop that cue. What a disgrace Williams' editing can be. He must have liked that part a lot.

The Varese CD performances don't sound too bad. I'll probably get it since it's available for dirt cheap anyway.

For a while Varese was releasing a compilation every year of the hit scores of the year (re-recorded). Sometimes some cool stuff showed up, like Silvestri's arrangement of the Mission Impossible Theme, or Goldsmith's Judge Dredd trailer music

Anyway, I'd like to collect them all. I've found these titles in the series; Does anybody know if there are any more?

Screen Themes (1988)

Hollywood Soundstage: Big Movie Hits. Vol 1 (1991)

Highway To Hollywood: Big Movie Hits Vol. II (1991)

Hollywood Backlot: Big Movie Hits VOl. III (1992)

Hollywood '94

Hollywood '95

Hollywood '96

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoy Hellfighters a lot. I don't listen to Star Trek IV as much as the others, but do enjoy the main title. I bought his Lord of the Rings, but have listened to only half and it has not made it onto my iPod yet.

i have listend to some samples on youtube and it seems pretty decent, though one that i would really like to be able to get my hands on is the Return of the King (1980) rankin/bass soundtrack but not just the songs but the score, mainly the cue that plays when theoden arrives.

is rosenmans LOTR worth getting?

Yes; it is a good score. Star Trek IV is good, too, but I have to admit that my favourite track is Market Street! If you are feeling adventurous, why not try Fantastic Voyage, Beneath (and/or Battle For) The Planet Of The Apes, Rebel Without A Cause, Barry Lyndon, RoboCop 2, or Cross Creek.

i was wondering has the music for the movietown reel in Up been released? (higlight text to view:) because when i try to dvd rip it doesnt work