The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

I temporarily locked it because MSM kept re-posting a paragraph about the Deathly Hallows Part 2 score he had already posted in the Potterdom score to that thread, even though everyone else is discussing the DHp2 score in the Potterdom thread. And as a result, a post from January in that thread got replied to. It was weird.

Why does the wikipedia page of the music to Star Trek Vi quote cliff eidelman as saying ""[The compilation] showed me what to stay away from, because I couldn't do James Horner as well as James Horner" ?

That statement isn't confusing at all. He is saying he doesn't have the ability to make a score similar to a James Horner score, it wouldn't come out as well as what James Horner does.

It sounded to me like he said, I can't sound like James Horner, and I can't sound like James Horner.

The following construction is implied:

I couldn't do James Horner as well as James Horner can do James Horner."

Sounds gross.

It sounded to me like he said, I can't sound like James Horner, and I can't sound like James Horner.

The syntax may become a little clearer if you include a "can" at the end of the quote.

Can somebody post a link to a legitimate site that you can download "winRAR" or "winZip" from? I googled it but I have no clue which of the hits are scams or viruses.

Did JW write a concert arrangement of "The Conversation" from CE3K? I have this cd called "Williams on Williams" and it contains the cue in quasi film order, plus an ending with a choir and a sythesizer.

By the way, has anybody noticed that in the movie, the Indians first sing the last two notes of the five note theme, and then the first three?

By the way, has anybody noticed that in the movie, the Indians first sing the last two notes of the five note theme, and then the first three?

Yes

Can somebody post a link to a legitimate site that you can download "winRAR" or "winZip" from? I googled it but I have no clue which of the hits are scams or viruses.

The problem with the versions on the legitimate sites is that they are shareware versions that repeatedly ask you to pay for them outside of their trial periods.

I would use either http://oldversion.com/ to download older versions that still work, or use something open-source and free that does not need registering, like IZarc.

There's rarely a need to have both WinRAR and WinZIP installed. I mean, I do, but I'm not much help.

Thanks Wojo (I didn't see your post until just now)!

Anybody want to speak to the difference between these two release of Singin' in the Rain soundtrack?

http://www.amazon.com/Singin-Rain-1952-Film-Soundtrack/dp/B0000033JG/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

http://www.amazon.com/Singin-Rain-1952-Soundtrack-Deluxe/dp/tracks/B00006JOF3/ref=dp_tracks_all_1#disc_1

Obviously the second contains more music, but is it worth owning it all? A lot of it looks like different versions of the same songs, is it redundant?

• 2 weeks later...

I just hope we don't become maintitles.net, which has taken the practice of creating "official" threads for everything to its logical conclusion. I hate opening up a message board and seeing nothing but a sea of big, hulking "official" threads.

The FSM board has its detractors for various reasons, but one thing I like about it is that I can open it up and at a glance immediately get a sense of what's going on in the world of film music -- because it hasn't caught "official" thread fever.

The FSM board has its detractors for various reasons, but one thing I like about it is that I can open it up and at a glance immediately get a sense of what's going on in the world of film music -- because it hasn't caught "official" thread fever.

True, but at the same time at FSM you have multiple people posting threads about the exact same thing. Every time a label releases something, there will be a thread aunnoncing the release, and then about 4 others thanking the label for various reasons. Either end of the spectrum can be a bad thing, IMO.

I agree with Hlao. But I think we should have official threads, for uninteresting stuff like Star Trek, and then specific threads for more interesting stuff, like what's the deal with that cliff in Jurassic Park.

I agree with Hlao. But I think we should have official threads, for uninteresting stuff like Star Trek, and then specific threads for more interesting stuff, like what's the deal with that cliff in Jurassic Park.

Thaaaaaanks! :angry:;)

Who is in the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences? Is it just anybody who's been nominated for an award? And can any Academy member vote in any category, or just their field?

Membership is discussed here and nominating and voting is discussed here. Basically, you have to be invited to be in the Academy and the voting rules are different for certain categories.

Can anyone recommend a good online store to buy Italian Blu-Rays with affordable shipping to Central Europe? I want to get the Italian release of La Leggenda Del Pianista Sull'Oceano, and the only truly reasonable price I've found so far is at amazon.it, but they want an insane €7.20 for shipping.

Is it common knowledge that "Ennio Morricone" is in fact just an alias for the man Don Savio?

I read it in Bud Spencer's autobiography, and it ... threw me!

Nobody seems to have an answer for my previous question, but here's a new one already.

Does anyone (UK guys in particular) have this Battlestar Galactica Blu-ray set? I've seen the first two and a half seasons or so and finally want to catch up with the rest. The price on that set looks good, but with all the pilot/miniseries/whatever stuff going on in that series, I'm not sure if this set has everything I need.

HELP, I'M DEAF!!!

What does Scatman Crothers sing in "The Twilight Zone" (all that "Why ya sittin' around hoping" stuff?). I can't make out the very last line. It starts "Age means nothin', 'cause it's"...and then it fades. Anyone?

Staying with Mr. Crothers; why does he drive all the way up to The Overlook, just to get an axe in his chest? It makes no sense. Kubrick's too logical a film-maker to introduce a character only to have him (and the audience) going up a blind alley. Is this explained in the novel?

• 1 month later...

What was Williams contribution to Fiddler on the Roof? I know he did the underscore, but did he arrange the songs too? They certainly have a certain "Williams" touch, so it would be nice to know if he arranged them or not.

And also, are there any interviews around where he talks about this one? I would be very interested in hearing/reading what he has to say regarding the experience on this score.

What was Williams contribution to Fiddler on the Roof? I know he did the underscore, but did he arrange the songs too? They certainly have a certain "Williams" touch, so it would be nice to know if he arranged them or not.

And also, are there any interviews around where he talks about this one? I would be very interested in hearing/reading what he has to say regarding the experience on this score.

He arranged all the songs and wrote underscore. In general, his arrangements have a lot more ornaments and are much more complex than the original version. For the most part, I prefer the original, although there are some really cool additions. And the "Finale Act 1" is completely original, it doesn't even incorporate underscore from the play.

He arranged all the songs and wrote underscore. In general, his arrangements have a lot more ornaments and are much more complex than the original version. For the most part, I prefer the original, although there are some really cool additions. And the "Finale Act 1" is completely original, it doesn't even incorporate underscore from the play.

Great to know! His arrangements and the original stuff is great. I'm surprised this gets so overlooked around here. And the film is wonderful too!

There was a series on BBC Radio 2 about 20 years ago called something like Music by... in which film composers were interviewed about their scores. One of the episodes included excerpts from an interview given by John Williams that must have dated from the late 70's, as he talks about his work on The Towering Inferno, Jaws, The Missouri Breaks and Fiddler On The Roof and maybe others I cannot remember. I taped it off the radio at the time but I don't think I kept it unfortunately. Williams talked a bit about scoring the Matchmaker song.

It was a decent series, the first devoted to film music that I ever heard. Other composers featured included Elmer Bernstein, George Fenton, Johnny Dankworth, John Barry, Henry Mancini and even Bronislau Kaper.

• 2 weeks later...