The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

A quick "Doctor Who" question.

The Daleks are always going on about "You are an enemy of The Daleks" this, and "You are an enemy of The Daleks" that.

Do they actually have any friends? I mean: what's their facebook status?

This has probably been discussed, but being at work, I don't have the time to go through the 32 pg of Indiana Jones Unreleased Music Resource.

I'm confused about the Temple of Doom End Credits. I know the film version has a different beginning than the album. But any and all cue lists I look at don't show two different End Credits. Is that a film version INSERT that isn't mentioned on cue lists? Was there two different End Credits written and recorded? I can't find any documentation on it.

And of course, sorry if this is super obvious and I'm being a doofus lol.

Theres only one version of the TOD End Credits. The reason they sound different in the actual film compared to the album is because the piece is edited down in several places in the film. The edits are all really clever, so clever I too once thought the film end credits were an alternate cue compared to the album version.

Did you see the one where all the bad aliens lock The Doctor into the Pandorica? The enemy of my enemy is my friend. The Daleks have plenty of friends.

Er...thanks, Wojo...

A quick "Star Wars" question:

How is the rebellion funded? All those x-wings, and y-wings, and a-wings, and b-wings, and medical frigates, and ion cannons must cost a packet. Did the rebellion put it all on its platinum card? How is it all paid for?

Er...thanks, Wojo...

How is the rebellion funded? All those x-wings, and y-wings, and a-wings, and b-wings, and medical frigates, and ion cannons must cost a packet. Did the rebellion put it all on its platinum card? How is it all paid for?

General Dodonna won the Euromillions rollover once.

Er...thanks, Wojo...

Also the rich mommies and daddies of the rebel teens fund their hobby of going against the Empire. Everybody knows that. Oh those kids today. In my youth you joined the Stormtroopers and were pretty darn happy about it. Now it is Rebellion this, blow up Death Star that. Poppycock and boulder dash I say! Tougher discipline, more work and less credits for idle kids' Rebellion is the key to a happier galaxy!

Williams' cue matches the film as it was originally cut. After scoring, the scene was edited down, and so some music got edited out with it. The missing footage has never turned up anywhere as far as I know

Fascinating! Ta awfully, for that, Jason.

Has anybody spotted the Toht dummy in the car? It's in the scene just after the desert chase, where the car makes a couple of circles, stops, and Dietrich throws a melon to the ground. That is clearly not Ronald lacey in that scene...

Er...thanks, Wojo...

Also the rich mommies and daddies of the rebel teens fund their hobby of going against the Empire. Everybody knows that. Oh those kids today. In my youth you joined the Stormtroopers and were pretty darn happy about it. Now it is Rebellion this, blow up Death Star that. Poppycock and boulder dash I say! Tougher discipline, more work and less credits for idle kids' Rebellion is the key to a happier galaxy!

It was funded by the Malek family (Galen Malek, AKA Starkiller). There were some planets at the side of the rebellion, for example Mon Calamaria.

According to TFU (it's canon).

What was the first cinematic linea sequel? I'm not talking about "seperate stories" (e.g. the early Walt Disney "Alice" adventures), but films that took an existing story forward ("Bride Of Frankenstein" for example).

Any offers?

A quick question for classical music experts out there: In a lot of scores like ET, ROTJ, Poltegereist, The Dig, and more there is a certain religious-sounding theme that consists mainly of big chords, mostly done in strings, choir and organ. Take for example here, at 2:40...

See what I mean? There's a similar theme on Poltegereist (associated with the same kind of reliogisity) and when Luke fights Vader on ROTJ...

My question is: Are there any classical influences you can name that have influenced this kind of sound? Vaughan-Williams and his Fantasia might be one, but I'm looking for something a little more specific.

If anyone could help I would appreciate it a lot :)

There's some of that sound in Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherezhade.

Where exactly? I haven't heard the Scheherezade in a long time so I can't recall...

It's heard throughout the piece, but especially near the end of the last movement. When the trombones take the main melody.

Batman question.

Why is it that the booklet of the 2 CD Archival Edition of Batman says that the Main Title March is in 7/4? Either I can't count anymore or my hearing is impaired, but to me it's regular 4/4, or 2/2.

• 2 weeks later...

Impossible to say! It wasn't used in the film, possibly wasn't even recorded, and the conductor's score sheet music we have doesn't say which bars it goes over. We'd need to see Williams' original handwritten sketch to know.

• 2 weeks later...

Batman question.

Why is it that the booklet of the 2 CD Archival Edition of Batman says that the Main Title March is in 7/4? Either I can't count anymore or my hearing is impaired, but to me it's regular 4/4, or 2/2.

I'll check the sheet music for you. But i don't think it's in 7/4 too.

Btw, (not directed only to you) how is that site called were you could add people's faces to a dancing video?

Batman question.

It's in 4/4.

A Dark Knight Question.

According to wikipedia, Zimmer says that the actual theme fro batman, is heard twice in the film, and is present in Batman begins. But I always thought that the two note theme (the D F theme) was his main motif. And the motif in "A Watchful Guardian" and "Like a Dog Chasing Cars" Is heard many times in the score, so it can't be the theme Zimmer is referring to. Any ideas?

There's also the theme heard in Molossus at the 0:40 mark, and right at the end of the credits. That's the one he's referring to, I believe. It's labeled as Batman Theme on the b**t.

Some of that less structured stuff in the intro could be in 7/4.

No, it changes between 4/4 and 5/4, but the main cue is written in 4/4.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it is probably tracked but highly intentional and a great way of linking these films. Stone used some music from Born on the Fourth of July in JFK so I don't think it is wrong to assume he did it for Nixon as well.

Two things.

Is the muted trumpet motif in Bait for ET the same as Key's theme in Far From Home? That trumpet thing is also in Over the moon. And what does that stringed theme in bait for Et and Over the Moon represent? It's also in the Bike Chase (I'm not sure, as I've never seen the movie).

Why does RCP and Hans Zimmer, Lorne Balfe use D minor a LOT. Like Pirates, Megamind, Madagascar, Sherlock Holmes, Iron Man, etc?

Two things.

Is the muted trumpet motif in Bait for ET the same as Key's theme in Far From Home? That trumpet thing is also in Over the moon. And what does that stringed theme in bait for Et and Over the Moon represent? It's also in the Bike Chase (I'm not sure, as I've never seen the movie).

The muted trumpet is one of the themes for Keys, the one heard in Far from Home is the second theme for Keys. Is the string theme you're referring to also the one that starts of the end credits? I think it's open to interoperation, but in my recent analysis of the score I called it the "children's theme." As gorgeous as it is, it seems to be one of the more functional, as opposed to meaningful, theme from E.T. I think its biggest purpose is to illustrate the external conflicts and plot developments in a musical fashion, rather than speaking directly to the message of the score/film.

Oh and what does the three chord ascending phrase represent in Pirates of The Caribbean? It first showed up in Dead Man's Chest, and I wonder if it worked for the Pirates like the Rebel Fanfare does, or does it represent anything else?

It's usually played by horns and the chords are Dm-Bbmaj-Gmaj.

It's in Wheel Of Fortune (near the end), The Maelstrom battle, Guilty of being Innocent of being Jack Sparrow, and Palm Tree escape.

I've a little question here:

The string chords at 1:42 in "Pirating the Pirates" from Ice Age: Continental Drift remind me of something... Does anybody know something similar?

Oh and what does the three chord ascending phrase represent in Pirates of The Caribbean? It first showed up in Dead Man's Chest, and I wonder if it worked for the Pirates like the Rebel Fanfare does, or does it represent anything else?

It's usually played by horns and the chords are Dm-Bbmaj-Gmaj.

It's in Wheel Of Fortune (near the end), The Maelstrom battle, Guilty of being Innocent of being Jack Sparrow, and Palm Tree escape.

Could you type that in the Italian way (do-re-mi-fa-sol-la-si)?

Not sure how to do that. LOL.

Weren't there rumors in the mid 1990s that Williams was going to retire? When specifically did that happen, and what was the source of the rumors?