The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

A quick "Blade Runner" question: in the film, Bryant tells Deckard of the "fail safe" of the replicants - the 4-year lifespan.

Being a blade runner - even thought he is a retired one - wouldn't Deckard know this, already?

Bryant is telling the audience more then he is telling Deckard.

How did Eric Tomlinson make Superman: The Movie sound the way it does?

I'm not sure what you mean, since I don't have the FSM box, but to me it sounds all right, very similar to the miking and mixing of Star Wars.

I kinda want to know how he mixed it, and if there are any ways to make music sound anywhere similar to that kind of sound in Audacity.

A lot of that has to do with the recording itself, not the mixing. The microphones and their positions. It's not something you can fake with a simple audio program.

A quick "Star Wars" question:

So...Darth Vader docks his imperial cruiser at the Death Star. He then stays at the Death Star for the duration of the film. What happened to the cruiser? Did it go somewhere else? Why was it not deployed at the battle of Yavin?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Devastator

This is the ship. I know this (and many other things) from the 1995 Star Wars Customizable Card Game. This article doesn't really mention what it was doing, but it was apparently the ship that pursued the Falcon from Tatooine. So, Vader must have transferred to a different ship when he traveled to the Death Star?

As for the recording of Superman, maybe this article on Star Wars can help you out?

Alan Snelling was Eric Tomlinson’s assistant from 1975 to 1979 and recounted “Eric’s order of the day” for miking Star Wars, which included many Neumann and Telefunken tube condenser microphones – see side bar. 20 It was this choice together with prudent placement and Tomlinson’s wide stereo panning that gave Star Wars and the Anvil recordings from the 1970s their distinctive sound.

What is the timing of the insert in Exceprts from Close Encounters from the By Request album that is for the inside the mothership scene?

A couple of questions about "Alien 3".

Who assembled the extended DVD cut? Was it Terry Rawlings?

In the extended cut, where were the beach scenes filmed (the one where we first see Charles Dance's character walking thruogh the industrial structures)?

• 2 weeks later...

Exactly--it's happened. I was just listening to "Lonely at the Top," and I thought, "Damn, if Randy Newman wouldn't knock a score for a Woody Allen film out of the park, I don't know who would." And it seems like there are other films of his that had at least some original music. Even just some Newman songs would be terrific. They just seem like such a great match.

EDIT: Yep, Take the Money and Run and Bananas.

How did Eric Tomlinson make Superman: The Movie sound the way it does?

I'm not sure what you mean, since I don't have the FSM box, but to me it sounds all right, very similar to the miking and mixing of Star Wars.

I guess it must've had something to do with acoustic and sonic qualities of the Denham studios and its Anvil stage where a lot of 70s and 80s scores were recorded, many of them by Tomlinson.

The Anvil scoring stage possessed a clear and well-defined ambience with dimensions of approximately 65 feet across, 80 feet deep and 50 feet high. 19 Orchestras of up to 120 players could comfortably fit within the space. [...] The studio was readied for recording in half a day during which approximately 23 microphones were carefully positioned at distances ranging from two to ten feet from instruments. Alan Snelling was Eric Tomlinson’s assistant from 1975 to 1979 and recounted “Eric’s order of the day” for miking Star Wars, which included many Neumann and Telefunken tube condenser microphones – see side bar. 20 It was this choice together with prudent placement and Tomlinson’s wide stereo panning that gave Star Wars and the Anvil recordings from the 1970s their distinctive sound.

You can find this and a lot of other interesting information here and here.

Quick question: What kind of music is this exactly?

Is it a sort of African new age? If so, could you guys recommend any more music that goes into that direction? That's not from The Lion King, of course :P

Yes, I know, but I was wondering if someone could recommend more music in that direction that it's not from The Lion King.

I have nothing against the movies/scores (in fact, I love them all) but I'm interested in exploring the genre a little bit :)

If so, could you guys recommend any more music that goes into that direction? That's not from The Lion King, of course :P

Parts of George Fenton's wonderful score for Cry Freedom inhabit the same sound world. Listen to this, for example, in which you can hear the composer himself performing some of the vocals (all the names at the beginning).

[media=]

Another question: I seem to recall that for The Mission temp-track, they used an existing classical piece for Gabriel's Oboe scene, and when Morricone watched the scene with the original music, he said something of the sort like "How can I write something as beautiful as this?".

I remember I heard the piece some time ago, but I can't recall its name, or even the composer.

Does anyone know? Thanks in advance!

The original Jaws LP is 100% a re-recording made at a later date by Williams with a different orchestra just for the soundtrack release.

The actual recordings used in the film were not released until 2000 by Decca

Thanks for that. Does the same go for "Earthquake", and "The Eiger Sanction"?

I think it is, but since the movie is set in Los Angeles, most of the Christmas decorations and themes are superficial. Not as prevalant as, say, Die Hard 2, which takes place on Christmas Eve in a snowstorm in Washington D.C.

The first Lethal Weapon is also the only one I saw in its entirety.

That I don't know for sure. I always assumed they were the film tracks though

No, Jason, they are, most certainly, not.

Having said that..."The City Sleeps", "The Eiger", and the end title from "TES" ("Hemlock and Jemina"?) sound as if they could be from the OST.

At 9:23 in the original version of "Clocktower" from Back to the Future by Alan Silvestri.

Are the snare drum players playing wrongly? They sound offbeat compared to the rest of the orchestra. There is no sheet music for the original version.

Yeah, you can hear them pause to try to correct it at 9:28. That's one thing about the original versions is that the performance generally doesn't seem to be quite as tight.

Yeah, you can hear them pause to try to correct it at 9:28. That's one thing about the original versions is that the performance generally doesn't seem to be quite as tight.

It sounds like that to me as well.

The Star Wars Holiday Special? Is it very bad, or just bad?

Yes its bad.

it shouldnt ruin your opinion of the original trilogy, if the PT did not.

• 2 weeks later...