The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I'm way too wary of spoilers (both film spoilers and music spoilers) to read any of the dedicated threads, but I still would like to know: How does JWFan like the Ep9 score?

My opinion probably doesn't count for most of the forum, but it was quite a disappointing selection of music. However, as Jay said, it was also a choppy presentation with a lot of short 2-minute tracks and hopefully not representative of the score on album. The FYC does almost nothing of interest musically and is mostly meandering autopilot underscore connecting leitmotif over and over again, like TLJ.

I’ll counter saying that I came away with about 4 or 5 tracks that I have been particularly enjoying, and there are a handful of moments that surprised me as far as something a little different from TFA and TLJ, especially use of things like harp, piano, and voices (big and small). The music to me is an extra step up in energy and color from TFA and TLJ.

But I think those who value the album experience and self-contained pieces of music above all seem to be the most disappointed. The FYC overall is choppy and lacks in obvious “grand finale of Star Wars” type moments except for one track which seems to be a hit with most JWFanners including myself.

So, now that Star Wars 9 is out, I suddenly felt obliged to start listening to Wagner's Ring Cycle and two completely unrelated questions suddenly came to mind:

1. Do we know if Wagner wrote alternate versions for different pieces that are or are not recorded, or is Wagner's Ring one undebatable, definitive work?

2. Who wrote more music for their franchises, Shore or Williams?

Shore wrote six scores that were 2 1/2 to 4 hours long each, I'd guess probably 18 hours total sounds about right?

Williams wrote nine scores of varying lengths from 80 to 200 minutes, probably totaling 20-21 hours or so

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You're forgetting the small detail that both the series, and the score, are shite.

Half of S3, and seasons 4, 5 and 6 are indeed crap, but the rest is good! Loved it when I was younger.

29 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Half of S3, and seasons 4, 5 and 6 are indeed crap, but the rest is good! Loved it when I was younger.

I only followed S1 regularly, but about halfway it was evident that higher powers (the money counters) had told the creators to milk their hit series as much as possible, stretching out the plot* for the remainder of the season. It just got painfully slow.

*not that there were much of a plot.

On 12/20/2019 at 7:02 PM, bollemanneke said:

1. Do we know if Wagner wrote alternate versions for different pieces that are or are not recorded, or is Wagner's Ring one undebatable, definitive work?

There's a difference of course between operas written over the course of several years, and film scores written over a few weeks/months and then partly rewritten due to edits or director input. If Wagner rejected some parts before the individual operas premiered, he probably never published them, and if at all performed them only in a chamber setting for a small group of people.

That said, Wagner (like others) has frequently made changes to his operas after their original premiere, often for specific new performances. So for works like Der fliegende Holländer and Tannhäuser, there are different versions that are being performed today and have been recorded (I have 4 versions of the Holländer and as far as I recall, at least 3 of them are different to each other). I don't know if changes like this exist for the Ring operas. If not, perhaps because they were written later and not performed as often, especially once the cycle had been completed, during Wagner's lifetime.

8 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Was that because he only allowed them to be performed in Bayreuth, once his opera house was done?

Well, it was finished much later than his early operas (obviously). The complete cycle premiered at Bayreuth in 1876. According to Wikipedia, the first non-Bayreuth performance was in 1882, just a year before Wagner's death. Not many opportunities for on-the-spot alterations, especially ones made for difference venues.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Well, it was finished much later than his early operas (obviously). The complete cycle premiered at Bayreuth in 1876. According to Wikipedia, the first non-Bayreuth performance was in 1882, just a year before Wagner's death. Not many opportunities for on-the-spot alterations, especially ones made for difference venues.

Yeah, but the two first operas of the cycle premiered in 1869 and 1870, respectively. I guess some changes possibly were made before the premiere of the complete cycle.

36 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Yeah, but the two first operas of the cycle premiered in 1869 and 1870, respectively. I guess some changes possible were made before the premiere of the complete cycle.

Possibly, though I'm not aware of any. But I'm not remotely an expert on the performance history of any of these operas. ;)

For more experienced JWFanners: on the about 20 years (?) of history of the board, how many times people here created a fake account impersonating John Williams? Or other composers? And for how long they kept their disguise before being discovered? 

So a few days ago Home Alone 2 'recording sessions' suddenly surfaced publicly. Though it's clearly a fan edit, it's been invaluable and I finally started making my own fan edit thanks to it. Do we have legitimate cue names for this score, or were they made up?

On which CD can I find the 20th Century Fox fanfare you hear in Home Alone? I need a losless version for a project, but simply can't find any recording.

NOTE: this is not a request for illegal content, I just don't know where to look myself.