The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

• 3 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

@Jurassic Shark

Do you happen to know how many times Neville Marriner recorded Handel's three Concerti a Due Cori and concerto Grosso Alexander's Feast?

Concerti a Due Cori:

I'm aware of one complete recordings on Decca and the same on Philips, and No. 1 and 3 on EMI.

The Decca recording is now available on Australian Eloquence:

https://www.europadisc.co.uk/classical/91870/Handel_-_Oboe_Concertos,_Ballet_Music,_etc.htm

The 5th movement of the 2nd concerto is among my favourite pieces of baroque music.

Concerto Grosso Alexander's Feast:

I'm aware of complete recordings on Decca and Philips. Possibly recorded several times on both labels as it's a nice "filler piece".

Why is " Relase the kraken" a meme?

I believe it's from the REMAKE of CLASH OF THE TITANS which wasn't exactly a cultural event.

Also, never got the " Kneel before Zod" meme from SUPEII.

What's so funny?

" The Dude Abides" is a great meme!😊

It genuinely baffles me how many people get names like Tiomkin and Steiner and, I dunno, Stravinsky, Shostakovich right, but fail at the simple Rózsa and don't seem to notice or care. Even companies can Tadlow fuck it up (inside tray of Ben-Hur).

Why?

Why?

Because in English we pronounce it Row- zha

or Row-sha.

There are no English language words ( dipthong) with " zsa"

What about that guy from Varese....Byron...Bryon

Very understandable why folks get confused.

Well he wasn't English, was he? I'm not spelling you brúsz just because I'm hungarian and that's how we'd spell it.

And my problem is mainly that he's the only one I see consistently misspelled, not other more difficult ones. Even without the tired meme of pissing me off with it.

Hmm. I guess I could do a little crash course from the fundamentals to make it really understandable... or you can type it into google translate and make it read it out :lol:

9 hours ago, The Big Man said:

I still can't pronounce Wojciech Kilar.

That's unforgivable.

11 hours ago, Holko said:

Hmm. I guess I could do a little crash course from the fundamentals to make it really understandable... or you can type it into google translate and make it read it out :lol:

The reason other composers with ' foreign' names are easier to remember the spelling, the names are written in phonetic English.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Isn't it Vo-ee-check Kee-lar?

Marshall don't do " vees"

( except Wagner)

Why is " Jason LeBlanc" always the topic starter/announcer for new releases, on FSM?

Horner's score to "The Land Before Time" is fantastic.  But the film looks way too cutesy and childish to peak my interest.  Is the film worth watching?

2 hours ago, karelm said:

Horner's score to "The Land Before Time" is fantastic.  But the film looks way too cutesy and childish to peak my interest.  Is the film worth watching?

I didn't like it.

But I may be biased against these films that always depict predatory species as" villains"

• 4 weeks later...

I want to own a new and affordable copy of his Handel Concerti Grossi cycle (have a digital version already) and am also looking for an elusive early recording of his Bach Brandenburg Concertos. There's a CD and digital edition widely avialable, but that's not the performance I'm looking for. I think my version was available on vinyl first, but for some reason I can only find 3 5 and 6 digitally from that cycle.

13 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I want to own a new and affordable copy of his Handel Concerti Grossi cycle (have a digital version already

Both op. 3 and 6 are on Teldec / Warner. It looks OOP most places, but it's still in stock at Arkivmusic:

https://www.arkivmusic.com/products/handel-concerti-grossi-op-3-6-harnoncourt-263378

13 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

elusive early recording of his Bach Brandenburg Concertos.

Early Harnoncourt can be a bit... elusive to me, but I'm not familiar with this specific recording.

On 3/31/2021 at 10:16 PM, bollemanneke said:

How often do re-issues of classical music by famous conductors come along? I want to buy a few physical and digital Harnoncourt recordings, but they're out of print.

Quite often in one form or another. You get Karajan's major recordings in a new guise every couple of years (most recently when DG started doing high res Blu-ray audio releases, although some of them are just upscales of early digital recordings, or of old transfers). I believe much of Harnoncourt's ~80s & 90s stuff was already re-released at budget price during his lifetime, but every once in a while these catalogues get picked up by different labels who then often do new releases, or simply re-release old box sets in new designs - Kempe's excellent 9 CD Richard Strauss collection must be available in at least its 4th version on the 3rd label by now.

All right, here's a stumper. (Well, hopefully not, because I hope someone knows the answer). What percussion instruments are used to make the classic "running away" cartoon sound (including that clangy offbeat sound)?

I have heard that they are toms.

49 minutes ago, Bayesian said:

All right, here's a stumper. (Well, hopefully not, because I hope someone knows the answer). What percussion instruments are used to make the classic "running away" cartoon sound (including that clangy offbeat sound)?

Apparently they are temple blocks.

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I feel like an idiot asking this, but is there any way to bring up all the posts I've made ine one particular thread?

Not at all a silly question. If you go to your account you can indeed see all the posts you've ever made. Just push the button "See my activity".

11 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Approximately how much would could a woodchuck potentially chuck, if a woodchuck could indeed chuck wood? In kilograms please.

Even if a woodchuck could chuck wood and even if a woodchuck would chuck wood, should a woodchuck chuck wood?

20 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

What's the album situation of The Lovely Bones (2009?) I found an album with slate numbered cues and songs. That can't be official, right?

There was no soundtrack album released at all. There are bootlegs, which claim to be from a promo CD, though I don't have a clue if that's true or not

https://www.soundtrack.net/movie/the-lovely-bones/

• 4 weeks later...

Football (sort of) question. Every time it's the world cup or UEFA, I notice they play orchestral versions of the national anthems with either extreme reverb or a great church organ accompaniment. Which recordings do they use? I really want them.