The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

A quick "Star Wars" question;

During the battle of Endor, why the frack didn't the empire send it the AT-AT?! Was it in the shop for repair, that day?

Look at what one AT-AT did to the shield generator on Hoth. One AT-AT would obliterate those stupid teddy bears, and the alliance along with with it! Also, if TIE fighters can operate in the atmosphere, why not mount an aerial assault?

Also, anybody know which recording of the Metropolis Symphony is best?

I own this version which I quite like, but then it's true I haven't heard many others yet - although I have heard this symphony performed live last year here in Ljubljana, Slovenian Philharmonic played it with the composer in attendance, and they did a great job.

During the battle of Endor, why the frack didn't the empire send it the AT-AT?! Was it in the shop for repair, that day?

Look at what one AT-AT did to the shield generator on Hoth. One AT-AT would obliterate those stupid teddy bears, and the alliance along with with it! Also, if TIE fighters can operate in the atmosphere, why not mount an aerial assault?

That's a valid question, considering that we know the Empire did have at least one AT-AT on Endor at the time. It is visible driving up alongside the shuttle landing platform the night Luke turns himself in.

The easy answer is that it would have given the Empire an even bigger advantage over the Ewok-Rebel alliance, making the Empire loss even more ludicrous. The plot required the Rebels to win.

The tactical answer is that an AT-AT would not be mobile enough inside the dense trees where the shield generator bunker was located. A massive structure like the landing platform required an immense clearing, giving the AT-AT enough room to walk around in the clear. That was not true deeper in the forest, hence the usage of the AT-ST.

Would the AT-AT be able to blast a path through the trees? Certainly. Obviously there wasn't room in the special effects budget to show the Empire's logging abilities.

As for using TIEs, remember that the Emperor was grossly overconfident in what he deployed at Endor. He didn't think anything beyond some stroomtrooper infantry and a few scout transports would be required to defend the bunker. Additionally, the tree coverage was too tall and dense for the TIEs to get a clear shot at anything on the ground without destroying half the forest, taking out the bunker itself as collateral. The risk was too great.

Otherwise, why not just throttle the Death Star laser beam down to something like 0.0000000001% of its strength and target the Rebels on the moon? Sure, that's like using your own gun to shoot a fly off your back; a good enough shot can do it.

We know the Empire had a lot of toys. The point of the Battle of Endor was that they kept a lot of their toys out of the battle, and the Ewoks were able to defeat them because the plot said "bad guyz must looze." A "real" tactician would not have lost the battle; a real tactician would have napalmed the Ewoks before breaking ground.

Also, anybody know which recording of the Metropolis Symphony is best?

I own this version which I quite like, but then it's true I haven't heard many others yet - although I have heard this symphony performed live last year here in Ljubljana, Slovenian Philharmonic played it with the composer in attendance, and they did a great job.

I have the same recording. All the Naxos Daugherty discs are great.

That's a valid question, considering that we know the Empire did have at least one AT-AT on Endor at the time. It is visible driving up alongside the shuttle landing platform the night Luke turns himself in.

The easy answer is that it would have given the Empire an even bigger advantage over the Ewok-Rebel alliance, making the Empire loss even more ludicrous. The plot required the Rebels to win.

The tactical answer is that an AT-AT would not be mobile enough inside the dense trees where the shield generator bunker was located. A massive structure like the landing platform required an immense clearing, giving the AT-AT enough room to walk around in the clear. That was not true deeper in the forest, hence the usage of the AT-ST.

Would the AT-AT be able to blast a path through the trees? Certainly. Obviously there wasn't room in the special effects budget to show the Empire's logging abilities.

As for using TIEs, remember that the Emperor was grossly overconfident in what he deployed at Endor. He didn't think anything beyond some stroomtrooper infantry and a few scout transports would be required to defend the bunker. Additionally, the tree coverage was too tall and dense for the TIEs to get a clear shot at anything on the ground without destroying half the forest, taking out the bunker itself as collateral. The risk was too great.

Otherwise, why not just throttle the Death Star laser beam down to something like 0.0000000001% of its strength and target the Rebels on the moon? Sure, that's like using your own gun to shoot a fly off your back; a good enough shot can do it.

We know the Empire had a lot of toys. The point of the Battle of Endor was that they kept a lot of their toys out of the battle, and the Ewoks were able to defeat them because the plot said "bad guyz must looze." A "real" tactician would not have lost the battle; a real tactician would have napalmed the Ewoks before breaking ground.

I love the smell of burning Ewok in the morinin'. Feels like...victory. :lol:

Thanks for that. It just goes to show that the Emperor was a twat.

If i wanted to listen to Ralph Vaughan Williams, what would you recommend me?

To name some of my favourites in no particular order, which are in my opinion a quite good pieces to start listening to Vaughan Williams:

A Fantasia on the Theme by Thomas Tallis,

Oboe Concerto,

Concerto Grosso,

Norfolk Rhapsody,

Sinfonia Antartica,

Aristophanic Suite: The Wasps,

The Lark Ascending,

English Folk Song Suite

Five Variants on Dives and Lazarus

This box set.

Add the LSO/Hickox London Symphony if you like the version on this set (because the Hickox recording is of the uncut original version and brilliantly performed) and e.g. this 2CD set for some more stuff like the wonderful English Folk Song Suite.

English Folk Song Suite

+1

+1

Of course, the Tallis Fantasia reigns supreme. And the above mentioned Davis box set has one of the best recordings of it.

Some of his film music is superb, Alexander. I highly recommend the Chandos recordings available in this reasonably priced box set, containing such greats as Scott of the Antarctic (which I find quite Herrmannesque in places), 49th Parallel and Coastal Command, amongst other gems:

http://www.chandos.n...er=CHAN%2010529

Incanus rightly mentions The Lark Ascending. If you have to choose just one version, check out the LSO recording with Hilary Hahn - it's one of the most beautiful things you will ever hear.

Where, maybe a film score, may I have heard this before? It's like I have it in my head, but I can't spot it!

Edit:

Aaaah, nevermind, I remember it now!

Rósza's version and variation on it are amazing.

Where, maybe a film score, may I have heard this before? It's like I have it in my head, but I can't spot it!

Poledouris also used Cantigas de Santa Maria in Conan the Barbarian (to great effect, I might add), so in addition to El Cid, maybe you also made some subconscious connection to Conan.

Poledouris also used Cantigas de Santa Maria in Conan the Barbarian (to great effect, I might add), so in addition to El Cid, maybe you also made some subconscious connection to Conan.

True, I read that. Do you know where he uses them in that score?

True, I read that. Do you know where he uses them in that score?

Poledouris used Cantigas de Santa María in The Tower Of Set/Snake Attack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8zizhYQH6g

It's "Dex' Diner", and not "Dex's Diner"; am i correct?

No. "Dex's Diner" (such that rhymes with Vexes Finer instead of Hex Minor) is grammatically correct. In English, apostrophe S is used to show possession when the possessing item does not end in S. George's car. Jim's book. Fido's bone.

When the possessor does end in S, only the apostrophe will suffice. Claudius' horse. Sixteen peoples' territory. Using apostrophe S would be cumbersome. Santos's apple. Sometimes, though, you will hear the apostrophe S used anyways in conversation to emphasize possession, since you can't "hear" the apostrophe in speech, but in writing, it's unnecessary.

While Dex does end in an S sound created by the letter X, it is not an S, so it would use the apostrophe S.

A simple web search found this at Wookieepedia.: Dex's Diner

Can you post examples and time stamps to compare? Sorry, I'm like the least educated person in music on this board.

Yet your name is ComposerEthan ;)

So you are seriously trying to get tickets to the premiere of the Hobbit? Lycka till, bonne chance, good luck!

hehe don't you think I know it's nearly impossible? it's just that there's a big chance I'll be in NZ during the premiere so...

Get a job at the theater the premiere will be at. Bing, bang, boom.

Oh, no, wait, better: The Legend Of Korray! ;)

And to reiterate a quick question I asked in the Howard Shore thread: Does Firefox act up for anyone else when they open threads with multiple embedded videos from Youtube etc.? My CPU usage hits the roof and freezes the computer. Is there a way to stop this from happening?

now that's not such a bad idea! shit, I'll even work for free...

But as it is, I have a shitty job, I hate my life, and I wanna kill myself.

that explains so much...

But as it is, I have a shitty job, I hate my life, and I wanna kill myself.

that explains so much...

What is that supposed to mean? I don't like your tone, Saltie!

You make her sound like a scurvy pirate when you call her Saltie. :lol: Har!

I'm the avatar, you gotta deal with it!

Exactement. What a great cue!

Yeah!, It's one of my favourite cues from Conan The Barbarian. :)

I have a shitty job, I hate my life, and I wanna kill myself.

Would you like therapy before you do that, or would you like to grace the news outlets like Junior Seau?

This has probably been discussed, but being at work, I don't have the time to go through the 32 pg of Indiana Jones Unreleased Music Resource.

I'm confused about the Temple of Doom End Credits. I know the film version has a different beginning than the album. But any and all cue lists I look at don't show two different End Credits. Is that a film version INSERT that isn't mentioned on cue lists? Was there two different End Credits written and recorded? I can't find any documentation on it.

And of course, sorry if this is super obvious and I'm being a doofus lol.

Exactement. What a great cue!

Yeah!, It's one of my favourite cues from Conan The Barbarian. :)

Thanks, it's been a while since I listened to this one. :)

now that's not such a bad idea! shit, I'll even work for free...

My brother did it that way. He used to work at a theater in the area and then got a hook-up from the company to work the night of the premiere at the AMC Uptown in DC. The Great Raid and The Guardian had their premieres there.

:thumbup:

This has probably been discussed, but being at work, I don't have the time to go through the 32 pg of Indiana Jones Unreleased Music Resource.

I'm confused about the Temple of Doom End Credits. I know the film version has a different beginning than the album. But any and all cue lists I look at don't show two different End Credits. Is that a film version INSERT that isn't mentioned on cue lists? Was there two different End Credits written and recorded? I can't find any documentation on it.

I think there's one version, we're just missing the Raiders March section between the end of Return to the Village and the start of the slave children theme. There's an "alternate" album version that's edited.

The Morgan Stromberg is the most complete re-recorded score, the Gerhardt is said to be the best recording though.

The Morgan/Stormberg/Naxos is the most complete and very good, with a somewhat too Russian chorus and a very much too Russian soloist. The Gamba/Chandos is great, a bit more lively than the Naxos, and with proper pronounciations, but not as complete. The Kojian/Varese is similar, very energetic and "Golden Age" sounding, but limited to about 40 minutes (LP length). The Tsunami album is Korngold's OST. Curiously, I find his own tempos on this score a little slower than you'd expect; I prefer the re-recordings.

The best stuff is the bits and pieces recorded by Charles Gerhardt on his "Classic Film Scores" series (not listed at your link). They're only suites from some parts of the score though - but they do include the best Strike for the Shores of Dover.

I think there's one version, we're just missing the Raiders March section between the end of Return to the Village and the start of the slave children theme. There's an "alternate" album version that's edited.

Ah, that makes sense...album version is edited. Thanks for your insight!

I think i'll take the Gamba/Chandos one. Thanks for the help!

I think that Incanus asked this before.

Actually I answered this Seahawk question before. With Marian, who beat me to the punch this time. ;)

Actually I answered this Seahawk question before. With Marian, who beat me to the punch this time. ;)

I've got my stock reply for this question ready now, so I don't need long to reply. ;)

In case somebody knows: which version of Herzog's Nosferatu should I see? The German one or the English one? I've read people say good things about both, I'm confused.

I've got my stock reply for this question ready now, so I don't need long to reply. ;)

You have a .txt file with your reply somewere on your desktop. ;)

I don't put files on my desktop.

I simply have my response memorised.

You have a .txt file with your reply somewere on your desktop. ;)

I don't put files on my desktop.

I simply have my response memorised.

... in your brain's desktop. ;)