The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

Does anyone know that, had "Superman II" been completed by Richard Donner, JW would have scored it?

Either that or Gorgeous.

Who? What?

Quick question: Does anyone know more music like the Main Titles from The Missouri Breaks?

Do you mean "minimalist"? Try Jerry Fielding's western scores, or even JW's own "The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing".

ADMIN NOTE: This question pertains to John Williams score to Dracula

Sorry, i resurrect this thread to ask something that I haven't understood:

Is the "Love theme" another theme than the main theme?

well, i found in another thread:

"From it's central theme, to it's full throttle horror... not to mention it's beautiful love theme"

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5127

which makes it seem like there is a love theme, other than the main theme.

Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi track 06 "Luke Confronts Jabba/Den of the Rancor/Sarlacc Sentence".

Great, thanks :)

Sounds like American Beauty to me.

Probably track 5 Mental Boy. I will check to be certain when I get back home from work.

The same piano melody is featured on track 5, Mental Boy and track 14, Angela Undress.

Upon further examination it would seem to be Angela Undress that is heard in the clip.

Quick question: Is it true that JG really hates the harp? I listened to some scores where he used the instrument rather creatively and I find it difficult to think that if JG hated the damn thing, then why does he include it in his orchestrations? It's not like the harp is a rather prominent part of the orchestra.

I don't know about JG hating the harp, but Franklin J. Schaffner disliked the piccolo, and David Lynch dislikes the harp (according to the "Dune" liner notes).

I guess that JG (or any composer) would have to consider the efectiveness of any instrument, before he/she made any decision to use, or not use it. What does the harp say about a scene, or character? Darth Vader's theme played on a harp at the end of ROTJ is very effective.

Well I've read a lot of film score reviews most especially on filmtracks.com and they expressly say that JG has an unexplained hatred of the harp instrument. So I wondered, if JG hated the instrument, why does he still included it in his orchestrations? Again, it's not like the harp is a pretty significant part of the orchestra (I meant no offense).

I haven't seen War Horse yet, but I've got it checked out from the library. Is it a good movie for the family to watch on Mother's Day, or should we pick something else?

I haven't seen War Horse yet, but I've got it checked out from the library. Is it a good movie for the family to watch on Mother's Day, or should we pick something else?

As per Steven Spielberg's explanations during the Making Of, he deliberately made it in such a way that it might be fit for a younger audience than, say, Saving Private Ryan.

There is no gratuitous blood whatsoever. Actually, you don't really see anything truly nasty. But you definitely do get the idea.

After all, it is still a war movie. Not everyone survives and some characters die who shouldn't deserve to die.

I hope that helps.

If I have sent an email to an address that I have just checked with a verifier that it exists,

and the email is sent back to me saying "The email address you entered couldn't be found", it means they blocked my emails?

(i had sent a first email long ago, and i didn't have any problem. The problem occured now that i sent the 2nd)

Probably because big W didn't want them there or the sources for them were nowhere to be found. Hook was apparently quite a challenge to put together because the materials were stored all over the place and some were lost (and it turned out many 1990's scores suffer from the same problem). None of the film versions with inserts were implemented in the LLL set either, not for the Lost Boys Chase, The Never Feast nor the Ultimate War.

Perhaps Jason or someone else very deeply versed in all things Hook can provide a more in-depth answer.

• 2 weeks later...

There are none.

Rockey Balboa?

Real Steel?

Hey, its as good as Jerry Goldsmith's Rudy, especially in the Final Round and People's Champion.

• 2 weeks later...

A quick "Jaws"/Blu-ray question.

For those that have "Jaws" on Blu-ray: is there a difference in the music mix on the Blu-ray, to that of the 30th anniversary DVD?

Yes, the Blu has an entirely new 7.1 mix.

Can anyone recommend any good - mainly orchestral/symphonic- scores for sports movies of the last decade? (if there are any)

Mark Isham's "42" was not bad for me.

Has any-one seen a film in Dolby Atmos, and, if so, what's it like?

A quick "Jaws"/Blu-ray question.

For those that have "Jaws" on Blu-ray: is there a difference in the music mix on the Blu-ray, to that of the 30th anniversary DVD?

Yes, the Blu has an entirely new 7.1 mix.

Thanks. Koray. Is that the same for "E.T."?

Another one: Is there a way to download all the sounds from here? It's for a project I'm working on.

http://starwars.com/play/online-activities/soundboards/

Thanks in advance!

Use the Firefox web browser with this extension installed:

http://www.downloadhelper.net/

and you can download just about anything on the internet.

What tracks from John Williams Conducts John Williams; The Music of the Star Wars Trilogy are worth owning? Ie which ones are siginficantly different from their album versions? (and were all these new concert versions arranged by JW?)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000002712/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

They're pretty much all the standard concert arrangements, Cantina Band having some weird synth effects. I love the performances, though most dislike them. I think it's universally agreed the Imperial March is awesome though. I also love the smooth, slightly more relaxed take on The Asteroid Field. Only Here They Come is lame, not just slow but genuinely unexciting.

It's the kind of CD you just listen to the whole thing, not bits and pieces. I can't check right now but used copies must be available for like a buck on amazon.