The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

Just now, Margo Channing said:

I suppose you feel the same way about the Manhattan Jazz Quintet?

I don't think I've ever listened to them, truth be told. What do you like about them?

6 hours ago, TGP said:

Both.  It was a feedback loop, same with Ravel, Stravinsky, Milhaud, etc. 

This is exactly what I thought.  Each influenced each other.   Just wasn't sure if Debussy was actually exposed to it but we know Ravel, Stravinsky, et all were. Don't forget Gershwin who did influence Ravel who influenced much of 20th century music. https://csosoundsandstories.org/fascinatin-rhythm-when-ravel-met-gershwin-in-jazz-age-new-york/

8 hours ago, Richard said:

Personally, I'd guess at "neither". 

Jazz is said to be the USA's one indigenous music-form. Since Debussy died 100 years ago, he probably didn't get to hear much jazz. That being said, it's entirely possible that his music was beginning to some jazz idioms, whether he'd heard jazz, or not. Law of coincidences, and all that.

I think it's more complicated than that since jazz has its origins in blues which has its origins in Negro spirituals of the Civil War era.  I am actually surprised Dvorak didn't include some references in his "New World" symphony which included American Indian references but then again perhaps he did and I am just ignorant of the cross pollination.  Since much of this is based on gospel music/spirituals/blues, one could argue rock came from this as well.  Early icons of rock were strongly gospel based such as Elvis, Chuck Berry, the Beatles, U2, etc.

I know there is a fantastic and thorough documentary about the history of jazz which I must explore one day.

5 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

There's certainly a lot of European folk and dance music embedded in the roots of jazz.

More detail please...examples? :)

1 hour ago, karelm said:

More detail please...examples? :)

The earliest roots of jazz are essentially what happened when European traditions like marches and waltzes were introduced to African American musicians who populate the ensembles that play in dance halls and vaudeville shows and marching bands in the 1800s.  Ragtime music is like if you take European military marches and add syncopated rhythms, right?  Then take the syncopation of ragtime, mix it with the blues music developing concurrently out of slave spirituals and work songs, and you've got the origins of jazz as I understand it.

I dunno, watch the Ken Burns documentary! :P 

I've always loved exploring early jazz and blues music.  This was recorded in 1912 for pete's sake.  Listening to music so far out of the past is fascinating to me.  And notably, the earliest blues records were arranged for and recorded by military-style wind bands.

8 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

In regards to Goldsmith's The Shadow, which version of The Mirrors is generally preferred? Just curious.

I prefer the alternate version. The ferociously descending trumpets that occur after approx. 10 second are sublime. Apart from that the alternate is slightly more varied in comparison to the rest of the score.

• 3 weeks later...

Nobody knows. The cipher hasn't been broken and it has drawings of plants the maker couldn't have seen based on its age and our understanding of that period. Either the dude got high and it's all an accident , or he heard stories passed down from an early explorer like Erik the Viking, or there's something fishy going on with History and Biology as we know it today. Or its a nigh-impossibly perfect forgery.

9 minutes ago, Holko said:

Nobody knows. The cipher hasn't been broken and it has drawings of plants the maker couldn't have seen based on its age and our understanding of that period. Either the dude got high and it's all an accident , or he heard stories passed down from an early explorer like Erik the Viking, or there's something fishy going on with History and Biology as we know it today. Or its a nigh-impossibly perfect forgery.

It could be an artifact from a future time traveler a million years from now who went to our past where he lost his journal of his travels.  The time traveling author likely became someone's dinner circa 1300A.D. leaving this journal behind.  

30 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Cadillac of the Skies

I own that score too. I feel like I should have know this... 😐

45 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Just curious. I'm becoming fond of the OST edits (combining Incident in San Diego combined with the car in the tree music for example) and was considering going back to that. 

Just make sure you include Visitor in Isla Nublar in your edit!

Why is it called Rescuing Sarah when it's also Ian and Nick being rescued? They were in peril along with her! Did John Williams not consider their presence important? Did he not care whether or not they were rescued? Does John Williams hate men? 

5 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

Why is it called Rescuing Sarah when it's also Ian and Nick being rescued? They were in peril along with her! Did John Williams not consider their presence important? Did he not care whether or not they were rescued? Does John Williams hate men? 

He doesn't hate men. He just forgets about them, when a beautiful woman is with them.

2 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

He doesn't hate men. He just forgets about them, when a beautiful woman is with them.

As we now know, John Williams is a ladies' man.

22eiue.gif

Question - the Planck length is the smallest possible size, right?  But Neil deGrasse Tyson said: "electron has no known size -- it's smaller than the smallest measurement we have ever made of anything."  How is it possible that an elemental particle is smaller than the smallest possible size?  Thanks.

14 hours ago, karelm said:

Question - the Planck length is the smallest possible size, right?  But Neil deGrasse Tyson said: "electron has no known size -- it's smaller than the smallest measurement we have ever made of anything."  How is it possible that an elemental particle is smaller than the smallest possible size?  Thanks.

[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck_length]Wikipedia[/url] says:

The Planck length is the scale at which quantum gravitational effects are believed to begin to be apparent, where interactions require a working theory of quantum gravity to be analyzed.[5] The Planck area is the area by which the surface of a spherical black hole increases when the black hole swallows one bit of information.[6]

The Planck length is sometimes misconceived as the minimum length of spacetime, but this is not accepted by conventional physics, as this would require violation or modification of Lorentz symmetry.[5] However, certain theories of loop quantum gravity do attempt to establish a minimum length on the scale of the Planck length, though not necessarily the Planck length itself,[5] or attempt to establish the Planck length as observer-invariant, known as doubly special relativity.[citation needed]

14 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck_length]Wikipedia[/url] says:

Ok but more confused now.  So it sounds like there is no such thing as the plank length since many things are smaller than the smallest possible size. 

I've been in the mood to delve into Goldsmith some more, in terms of works of his I've either never heard before or don't own. This is a list of all the Goldsmiths I own, as far as I can remember. I'm curious as to what can be recommended to me based on what I've got and what my favorites are (desert island picks have always been Poltergeist, Lionheart, and both Gremlins). Heck, ya'll know my tastes. You'll take care of me, right? :P

Alien, Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend, Boys from Brazil, all of the Joe Dante scores, Congo, Dennis the Menace, Final Conflict, Ghost and the Darkness, Hollow Man, Hoosiers, Leviathan, Legend, Link, Lionheart, Medicine Man, Mulan, The Omen, Poltergeist and Poultrygeist II: The Udder Side, Psycho II, Rambo: First Blood Part II, Rent-a-Cop, Rudy, Secret of NIMH, The Shadow, Total Recall, Twilight Zone: The Movie, Under Fire, Russia House and Deep Rising

How do you feel about Alien? If you like that, you might enjoy Planet of the Apes. Also, Mephisto Waltz is full of oozing, dramatic darkness. Have you listened to the first Rambo?

1 hour ago, kaseykockroach said:

Poultrygeist

Earthworm Jim made that joke 20 years ago!

I don't listen to Alien that much unless the time is right (if I'm home alone at night, for example), but what the hey. 

I've listened to bits and pieces of the other Rambo scores (haven't seen any of the movies all the way through). 

20 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Woah! Turns out I have Planet of the Apes! I don't remember where I got it. Just came across it while going through drawers. Guess I'll give it a shot!

Cool! I love the score, though I really want it to be re-recorded.

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

Planet of the Apes has already been re-recorded, using some of the original instruments

http://www.pithikosentertainment.com/pota-cd.html

Odd, it seems to not be a re-recording but a hybrid synth (the orchestra) with live percussion on the original instruments. 

"A hybrid recording that seamlessly mixes 'live' instrumental performances."

1 minute ago, Brundlefly said:

That's not a real re-recording. - Well, it is by definition, but only by definition.

Damn you, Brundlefly, you've stolen my thunder.

Doctor Who! Battlestar Galactica. Probably most of what Bear McCreary touches, although depending on the series he uses a lot of (to my mind) uninteresting underscore that supports the action well but doesn't necessarily have to be listened to on its own. There usually are relevant highlights though.

3 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Are there any modern TV shows with good scores?  

The Orville.

Lost.

Alcatraz.

Alias.

Battlestar Galactica.

Outlander.

The Cape.

Westworld.

Hannibal.

Fringe.

Lemony Snicket.

Better Call Saul.

11 hours ago, Jay said:

The Orville. 

Lost.

Alcatraz.

Alias.

Battlestar Galactica.

Outlander.

The Cape.

Westworld.

Hannibal.

Fringe.

Lemony Snicket.

Better Call Saul.

-Family Guy's The Orville is a guilty pleasure at best IMO

-Lost music is great, but it's not really in the current era of TV music (it started 14 years ago)

-Westworld is decent (especially when compared to Giawadi's Game of Thrones).  Not extraordinary but very good by modern TV music standards

-Lemony Snicket is a very phoned-in JNH effort.  Much better than most modern TV music.  As for the show, the movie is better

-Better Caul Saul falls into the category of serviceable but unlistenable sonic filler.  (not that any other approach would have fit with the show's tone)

I'll try and check out Outlandee, The Cape, and Hannibal.