What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

The Soprano son. I was also pissed that there never was a follow-up to Paulie's and Chris's extended stay in the Jersey woods with these russians. Great episode, though.

Ridley Scott will produce and direct the pilot for a new HBO series called Pharaoh. Like Prometheus, this series seems to want to make us believe in the 'ancient astronaut theory'. I have nothing against a series set in ancient Egypt, far from it, but aliens? ALIENS?! Sounds more like a CBS than a HBO show.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/aliens-in-egypt-ridley-scott-to-produce-and-direct-bonkers-sounding-pharoah-for-hbo-20140425

Alex

Hannibal's latest episode, while not one of the more riveting entries of the season, again establishes that the show has a better grasp on the cinematic vocabulary of horror than just about anything else around (or anything that has been around for many years).

Gah! Only three more episodes left of True Detective but I've got to wait till tomorrow night to continue the now GRIPPING rabbit hole of a plot, and it's not easy to resist the urge to race on ahead now and continue it alone to completion - tonight in 3hrs, but I can't because I'm probably gonna be up at 5am! What a fucker.

Took its time to get going, to sink its teeth in (3 episodes), but once it picks up it does not fuck around. Matthew Mcconaughey used to irritate me in the few movies I've seen him in, but not anymore: he's an absolute powerhouse in this. The thing is drenched in atmosphere, the growing sense of dread and the way unfolding events are orchestrated is all totally mesmerising. I caught myself actually holding my breath in the closing moments of tonight's fifth episode. Three more to go.

As good as Breaking Bad.

Lee, we finished it recently. It was fantastic, and I might put it even above Breaking Bad - it's similar to Lost in the way that it actually permeates the rest of your day, and colors your thinking. A story of the best kind: the kind that can actually affect your life. Utterly brilliant. And what more could be said about Matt? He's a total revelation.

On a whim I decided to watch the first episode of "Attack on Titan". So far, so good. I don't read manga or typically watch a lot of anime, with the exception of certain movies (Grave of the Fireflies, Ghost in the Shell, Miyazaki stuff, Akira). This was an interesting change of pace.

3rd episode of the second season of Treme.

Jesus Christ this is getting fucking depressing... I'm surprised at how similar the situation is potrayed there as it is here.

It's still brilliant, but damn... One doesn't think this happens too in the US of A.

From the Earth to the Moon, Apollo 1

it's stating the obvious, but an emotionally charged episode. As Kennedy said, "It's hazards are hostile to us all". Whatever the exact ignition cause of Apollo 1 it could've ended Apollo there. This episode could be set alone as a reason why this series is excellent. Be it the opening where the fire happens and followed with the breaking of the news to Patty White (the other wives are shown after the news is broken) or when Frank Borman is asked to describe the crew. Core to the episode is the late James Rebhorn, impeccably acted. Even Kevin Pollak does a neat turn.

Now...onto the final, final Rev.

Completed all 8 episodes of True Detective. Amazing show and yet another benchmark in American tv programming. Flawless 8 hours of storytelling, I honestly can't think of a single moment where it faltered or put a foot wrong. In the end, it was more than meets the eye, which I loved. Good vs Evil shit, yo.

Absolutely gutted that season 2 is to be a fresh story with new leads. Why? Because the big, huge questions left at the end of S1 are irresistible, and just because Woody and Matt are the best cop pairing since Agent Cooper and Sheriff Truman, bar none.

This one is gonna linger in my mind for years.

That's the thing, yes, it's very true. And I am very much bearing that in mind. But you know when you're on that high, that plateau - knowing that you've just watched greatness? Immediately afterward you're left wanting MOAR!!!

Ahhh glad you enjoyed it to the end Lee. Who would you want to see paired up for the next season?

it's stating the obvious, but an emotionally charged episode. As Kennedy said, "It's hazards are hostile to us all". Whatever the exact ignition cause of Apollo 1 it could've ended Apollo there. This episode could be set alone as a reason why this series is excellent. Be it the opening where the fire happens and followed with the breaking of the news to Patty White (the other wives are shown after the news is broken) or when Frank Borman is asked to describe the crew. Core to the episode is the late James Rebhorn, impeccably acted. Even Kevin Pollak does a neat turn.

Nice score by the seldom mentioned Mason Daring, as well.

Ahhh glad you enjoyed it to the end Lee. Who would you want to see paired up for the next season?

Word is Brad Pitt is all over it like a movie star who just heard telly got good and that TD is THE show to be seen in, but really I'm not bothered either way. I don't care what happens to it now. It was Woody and Matt and this particular story which made it what it was and they won't replicate that, I know it.

Categorically, the second season won't be as good. Claiming otherwise would, I think, be akin to saying true greatness is a regular occurrence.

Nice score by the seldom mentioned Mason Daring, as well.

Ah yes, specifically (for me) the beginning. The choir sounds were similar to the one in Apollo 13. To my ear anyway.

Again, another reason for some kind of release on CD etc.

From the Earth to the Moon/ We Have Cleared the Tower

what I like about the series more than most was that it brought to closer attention, the lesser known aspects of Apollo or at least everything that Apollo 11 and to a point Apollo 13 dwarfed. In this case, Apollo 7. A launch initially for Apollo 1, the first manned Apollo flight. A typical episode of what's to come in doing it in an unique way, this being via a film crew following the Seven crew around. Nice mix of archive footage (such as Grissom's funeral at Arlington) and music once again, particular mention to the music covering the evacuation drill at the episodes start.

Louie. For one reason or another I just never caught this show, so I just watched the first episode on Netflix. It may have been a little scattered in terms of any cohesive plot, but the humor was right on target.

Dang, I did it again, and stopped writing as much as I wanted to about shows. Catching up on some stuff I never wrote about…

Girls 3x11 I Saw You

Not surprised Hannah would give up her job to pursue her art. Everything always works out for these girls, including Jessa getting offered a new job in this episode. Marnie is the only one that is really continually shit upon this season, and it’s no surprise she ran back to Ray after finally realizing she wasn’t going to get to be with Desi.

Girls 3x12 Two Plane Rides

Hey, it’s Retcon time! All of a sudden Hannah dreams of going to the University of Iowa’s writing program, had applied months ago (that we never saw), and now she’s accepted into the program! Will she accept, or self-sabotage once again? Meanwhile Shoshanna finds out she can’t graduate, and has a great explosive breakdown (she continues to steal every episode she’s in). Her later attempt to beg Ray into taking her back was so pathetic, a real low-point for her character. Surprised to see that Adam actually performed well on stage, even though he thought he didn’t. I do wonder if breaking up with Hannah was because he got the Star Wars 7 role. I say the show is better without him either way. Jessa’s story with the assisted suicide seemed randomly inserted into everything else going on.

Girls Season 3 overview

More of the same, year after year. It's not even worth commenting on individual episodes. The show just cycles through the same plots of self-discovery, growth, self-sabotage, and repeat. Hannah remains the least interesting character in her own show, and the rotating cast of supporting characters doesn't help the show have much focus. I'd watch the Shoshanna, Jessa, and Marnie scenes again someday, but as it is the show is largely forgettable apart from the few true gut-busting laugh out loud moments per season. They really need to shake things up next year.

True Detective - Episode 5

You weren't kidding Lee. It was a long, slow, burn in the start, but that itself was necessary to draw you in to the brilliant, yet disturbing atmosphere of the show. Now that everything's really picked up the pace, I can't help but admire how all of its coming together. The characterizations, the plot, the story-telling. I wouldn't put it above Breaking Bad, if only because I have a personal preference for that show (BB fanboyism, yes), but this is great stuff indeed. Only 3 more episodes left!

Other than the premise of detectives solving a crime, its not even close.

I hate episodic tv stuff Steef, can't stand CSI and that sort of thing. In fact I normally give a wide berth to anything with cops and detectives. Rule of thumb: if it resets I don't watch.

Glad you're enjoying KK.

The opening song from True Detective has been stuck in my head for weeks now. Eventually I'll just have to rewatch it.

That's the great thing about it too: it's only the 8 episodes, hardly a slog ;)

I've still not forgiven it yet though for opting to start afresh next season. Gutted, I was.

Why?

If season 2 is shit, then the first series will still be immaculate.

Because, the way it ends, it's so ambiguously fruitful and exciting... until you eagerly Google the series for the first time immediately afterwards only to find... it already ended.

Moar syndrome.

From the Earth to the Moon/ Part IV: 1968

when I first saw this it was not a favourable episode but I was young and stupid. It's a curious one, how it's done but in this it's typical of the series. Each episode has its own way of doing things, its own story of course and 1968 is no different. As Tom Hanks says in the preamble it was a year of events and a year of great change. As shown in a bewildering series of clips there's Vietnam, the deaths of King and RFK, Nixon, Johnson, etc and then...amongst it all...almost forgotten, the Moon programme. Apollo 8 pushed the final frontier, the first manned orbit of the moon, a proper test of the Apollo craft and its endurance.

The highlights personally are firstly the Earthrise scene, aided by the FTETM theme. You forget now that this sight was unique to Man and it's moving all for it. As is the Bible reading to Earth. Religious or not, it's stirring.

"A message from a Mrs Pringle...I'm sure it's not a name any of you would recognise...'You saved 1968'."

when I first saw this it was not a favourable episode but I was young and stupid. It's a curious one, how it's done but in this it's typical of the series. Each episode has its own way of doing things, its own story of course and 1968 is no different. As Tom Hanks says in the preamble it was a year of events and a year of great change. As shown in a bewildering series of clips there's Vietnam, the deaths of King and RFK, Nixon, Johnson, etc and then...amongst it all...almost forgotten, the Moon programme. Apollo 8 pushed the final frontier, the first manned orbit of the moon, a proper test of the Apollo craft and its endurance.

The highlights personally are firstly the Earthrise scene, aided by the FTETM theme. You forget now that this sight was unique to Man and it's moving all for it. As is the Bible reading to Earth. Religious or not, it's stirring.

"A message from a Mrs Pringle...I'm sure it's not a name any of you would recognise...'You saved 1968'."

Might be my favorite episode, actually. Love the comparatively dark atmosphere of it.

Might be my favorite episode, actually. Love the comparatively dark atmosphere of it.

One of the darkest episodes, next to Apollo 1 perhaps. As for a favourite episode I used to like "Spider" or the Apollo 12 episode just for the fact that Pete Conrad seemed an absolute riot. I think at the moment the Apollo 1 episode tops it. Such a good series overall.

Just finished True Detective. That last episode has got to be one of the most brilliant hours of television I've seen in a while. Atmosphere was creepy as fuck, plot was gripping as hell, and McConaughey and Harrelson...bless them. If I could point one fault in this season, it's simply that the plot could not sustain tension in the first few episodes, relying on atmosphere and characterization alone, which certainly worked, but could easily turn beginners away. All in all, it was a long journey, but an incredibly satisfying one. Bring on season 2!

The show wasn't aimed at casuals, it's not light entertainment. Those first 3 were designed to make the viewer feel uncomfortable and uneasy, and probably even a little unsure. It required a degree of mutual trust and rooted out the impatient insta-gratification crowd, or the morons. Rather than consider it to be a minor criticism I think the precise opposite and see it as an important artistic choice on the part of the writer which in the end felt vital to the eventual reveals later, which were taught and gripping with every beat. The first 3 were superbly written introductions to these characters and their work and I wouldn't change a single thing about all 8 of the episodes.