What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

You obviously dont know me very well KK.

I'm actually curious about The Wire. I'll give it a go on blu when it comes out.

I was just kidding Stef. Just playing off the Breaking Bad jokes. Obviously meant no offense.

I actually think you'll enjoy it quite a bit.

I'm beginning to dig this Alan Moore fella more and more!

He's made some films too, you know. Small budget, mostly shorts. And almost impenetrable (for most people anyway). But still.

Karol

Penny Dreadful: Not dreadful by no means but watchable for Eva Green's torturous portrayal of Vanessa Ives and Timothy Dalton's husky voice and grim charisma. As with most modern series this one has far too much gore and sexposition and even though the eponymous stories might have been dreadful and sordid does this series have to be like a suicidal emo goth on a gloomiest Monday for much of its running time. I know it is super charged with angsty emotion but a bit less of that and a bit more light moments would have given this one a bit more air to breathe. Plus the writing meanders and they try to introduce seemingly every central character of 19th century horror literature in the first season. Oh and David Warner appears in a few episodes, which is always a plus. Korzeniowski's score is a plus for the most poetic moments but ultimately does not distinguish itself beyond few special moments.

While the writing is all over the place, the two central performances are highlights. Green gets to do more than she usually is allowed to and it's refreshing. And I really like Frankenstein's creature, the best character by far.

Karol

While the writing is all over the place, the two central performances are highlights. Green gets to do more than she usually is allowed to and it's refreshing. And I really like Frankenstein's creature, the best character by far.

Karol

Frankenstein's monster is actually better than Frankenstein himself. I like how the actor Rory Kinnear can get his Shakespeare groove on. ;)

A friend told me the pilot is excellent, but it gets steadily worse. Pity.

I found that that writing just meanders a lot without clear momentum. And as Karol said, it is all over the place at times. The final two episodes were quite strong I found, again thanks to Dalton and Green.

Nah, I'd say it's about the same throughout. Which means, it doesn't get worse. But doesn't get better, either. But it's only 8 episodes. It has a potential to be better, if it can straighten its narrative a little.

Karol

Nah, I'd say it's about the same throughout. Which means, it doesn't get worse. But doesn't get better, either. But it's only 8 episodes.

Karol

With 2n season confirmed!

Sounds kind of like a better version of Camelot. Terrible show, but Eva Green's performance is a highlight that makes it watchable.

Overall, I wouldn't discourage anyone from watching it. It has its good qualities. But that doesn't mean it's another... The Wire. ;)

Sounds kind of like a better version of Camelot. Terrible show, but Eva Green's performance is a highlight that makes it watchable.

It's better. Much better.

Are TV shows getting shorter? Back in my day, shows used to have up to 24 or 25 episodes per season. These days they only seem to get about 10 or 13.

Narratives get better, though. Less padding these days. And better produced.

Karol

The standard network fare still get their 222 to 26 eps per season I'm sure.

But the higher quality stuff tends to have less episodes, meaning more focused writing, better production values, more time to actually rehearse and shoot.

I didnt need a 26 episode season of True Detective, Game of Thrones or Sherlock.

Overall, I wouldn't discourage anyone from watching it. It has its good qualities. But that doesn't mean it's another... The Wire. ;)

Karol

Yeah by no means unwatchable but no, not another The Wire. Nor was I expecting it to be.

Eva Green is really the soul of the whole show. And Timothy Dalton should do more films or TV. He oozes gravitas.

Penny Dreadful: Not dreadful by no means but watchable for Eva Green's torturous portrayal of Vanessa Ives and Timothy Dalton's husky voice and grim charisma. As with most modern series this one has far too much gore and sexposition and even though the eponymous stories might have been dreadful and sordid does this series have to be like a suicidal emo goth on a gloomiest Monday for much of its running time. I know it is super charged with angsty emotion but a bit less of that and a bit more light moments would have given this one a bit more air to breathe. Plus the writing meanders and they try to introduce seemingly every central character of 19th century horror literature in the first season. Oh and David Warner appears in a few episodes, which is always a plus. Korzeniowski's score is a plus for the most poetic moments but ultimately does not distinguish itself beyond few special moments.

How many did you manage? i gave up on it after the fourth episode.

How many did you manage? i gave up on it after the fourth episode.

I skipped a lot of scenes! ;)

It's better. Much better.

Are TV shows getting shorter? Back in my day, shows used to have up to 24 or 25 episodes per season. These days they only seem to get about 10 or 13.

Narratives get better, though. Less padding these days. And better produced.

Karol

Yeah but back in the olden days, shows limited the wider narrative to a few "mytharc" eps per season, while the rest were allocated as stand-alones. Or maybe I'm too used to the 90s sci-fi TV model?

For those of you concerned about The Wire aspect ratio, did they protect for 16:9?

I know The X-File did. The shots were obviously composed for 4:3, but they still protected for widescreen because they saw it coming on the horizon. I've seen some screen shots of the HD versions coming out in Germany and they look pretty good.

Here the U.S. they are. I think the usual broadcast season orders used to be around 30+ in the 1990s, now it's gone down to 22. And maybe two more if it's a big ratings hit. Cable shows are the ones that usually get the smaller 10-13 episode orders, although if a certain TV show is a strong performer like on TNT or ABC Family, they'll get more episodes ordered.

For some reason, Disney's ABC Family division is keen on big episode back orders if they have a hit on their hands. Switched at Birth and Melissa & Joey have at least one season with 30+ episodes, while Pretty Little Liars has a broadcast-sized order of at least 22-24 episodes per season.

The standard network fare still get their 22 to 26 eps per season I'm sure.

But the higher quality stuff tends to have less episodes, meaning more focused writing, better production values, more time to actually rehearse and shoot.

I didnt need a 26 episode season of True Detective, Game of Thrones or Sherlock.

I wouldn't mind an extra 2-3 episodes per season for Game of Thrones. There's so much characters and plot stuffed into 10 episodes, extending an episode order wouldn't be a bad idea to give more breathing room for secondary characters.

Here the U.S. they are. I think the usual broadcast season orders used to be around 30+ in the 1990s, now it's gone down to 22. And maybe two more if it's a big ratings hit. Cable shows are the ones that usually get the smaller 10-13 episode orders, although if a certain TV show is a strong performer like on TNT or ABC Family, they'll get more episodes ordered.

In TV's early days, networks wanted prime-time shows on the air for 39 weeks, taking a break only in the low-viewership summer. Then as costs rose, networks started cutting back, until a few years ago the standard hit 22.

This cut costs and created other problems — like how to stretch 22 episodes over 39 weeks. Solution: Either run a few at a time or run a big chunk and then take a long break. Either way, some viewers never return. The cable model solves some of that problem. Ten to 13 episodes can be run consecutively, letting viewers get into a groove.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/tv-moving-shorter-seasons-article-1.1387581

The Thick of It (Series 1 and 2)

Ahhh, Peter Capaldi in his natural habitat, swearing his head off at everything. This is hilarious stuff, and very bingeworthy indeed. It's a different beast from Veep which takes on a similar style of humour but is more charismatic. While I still lean towards Veep in terms of preference, I look forward to chewing through series 3.

Game of Thrones S4E1 - Two Swords

Goddammit that was such a great episode. A fantastic way to start the new season, and with an excellent ending for said episode. I've been pleasently surprised at how much I've grown to like certain characters that I despised before and the characters that I like (and haven't died yet) continue to grow, as the finale for the episode has shown. I love the unikely alliances some of these characters form and end up making them grow, it's so great. Let's just say I shed a tear seeing my little sociopath grow up; and as soon as I'm done with this season I'll pick the books while I wait for the new one.

Rounded off 3rd Rock last night. Fine, fine comedy. Always enjoy the Don/Sally moments and whatever Lithgow does. In a way miffed how it ended but then them staying on Earth was never in the cards. Z

The Thick of It (Series 1 and 2)

Ahhh, Peter Capaldi in his natural habitat, swearing his head off at everything. This is hilarious stuff, and very bingeworthy indeed. It's a different beast from Veep which takes on a similar style of humour but is more charismatic. While I still lean towards Veep in terms of preference, I look forward to chewing through series 3.

Watch the 2 specials before you start series 3!

"You take the piss out of Al Jolson again and I will remove your iPod from its tiny nano-sheath and push it up your cock! Then I'll put some speakers up your arse and put it on shuffle with my fucking fist. And every time I hear something that I don't like, which will be every time that something comes on, I will skip to the next track by crushing your balls!"

I'm two episodes into Luther since I'm an Idris Elba fan and crushing on Ruth Wilson.

And apart from those two, more so the latter than the former, there's not much really grabbing me here. Wasn't this really highly regarded? Didn't people rave? Don't see it yet.

Has anyone watched The Knick, yet? I didn't realize it was a full-on Soderbergh project. Created by, directed by, edited by, shot by...

I'm now extremely excited to watch it. Martinez's score is like Contagion 2.0 and I'm loving it so far.