What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Me either, as much as I didn't care for it.  It explains parts of El's background, her look, and a flashback crops up later in another episode that you may not understand without seeing it.

Doctor Who Season 10

image.png

I'm behind on everything, but this finally became available on my Amazon Prime subscription. 

A fairly solid season of Doctor Who, and the last for Steven Moffat as creative director/show runner.  Even some of the clunkers like Empress of Mars at least had a nice ending.  I don't really feel there were any standouts, but each one was at least watchable and entertaining.  That is mostly due to the trio of main actors, Capaldi, Mackie, and Lucas, the last of whom is an instant favorite.  I was never the greatest fan of Missy, but here I felt she was finally used in an interesting way.

The Return of Doctor Mysterioso

image.png

I watched this after season 10 because I had completely forgotten that it existed, not that it mattered much on the viewing order. 

Surprisingly fun and goofy special.  I didn't know how this would work, or if it would feel out of place or very much un-Doctor Who.  But it was tongue-in-cheek, and I found myself smiling a lot throughout.

One more Christmas Special to go and I'll be all caught up.

Started the fourth season of Black Mirror. The Star Trek episode was a fun start! And this might be the closest Meth Damon has ever gotten to the original. "Arkangel" was nice as well, with a great concept, but was ultimately more predictable and tame than I would have liked.

Looking forward to the rest of the season.

You thought Part 4 was the best episode or Part 2?

I've heard that the 5th episode (the black and white one) is quite excellent and unusual for Black Mirror.

1 minute ago, Koray Savas said:

Is there anything that ties the show together or is it essentially a series of short films?

This. 

6 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Decided to make Black Mirror my next show. Watched the first two episodes last night.

Is there anything that ties the show together or is it essentially a series of short films?

It's an anthology series, every episode is completely independent.  There is occasionally tiny easter eggs references an earlier episode, and one episode in season 4 specifically references tech from earlier episodes, but that's it.

11 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

I enjoyed “Fifteen Million Merits.” Wish there was a score release for this episode, I really liked the music. 

Seasons 3 & 4 feature scores by Clint Mansell, Bear McCreary, Mark Isham, and Daniel Pemberton (among many others), and there are promos for some of those, not sure about any season 1/2 scores though.

Yeah I have the Richter and Mansell ones from promo dumps back in the day, but never listened to them. I could have sworn Episode 2 was Mansell while watching. The latter cues sounded straight out of Moon. Would love to have it on its own. 

Those big named composers didn't start working on the show until Netflix commissioned a season 3 and 4 a couple years ago.  Seasons 1 and 2 were entirely UK productions that aired on UK television channels back in the early 2010s, and are scored by UK composers.

Yup. It's a glossy soap, just made edgy via the HBO du jour style. But it's eminently watchable and very cleverly written.

Oh, and Laura Dern makes for a great Cruella de Vil.

Dern is wickedly delightful. It's the most I've enjoyed her since her recent re-emergence on both the big and small screen (that woman is practically in everything these days).

I was glad for Dern's profile getting back on the scene this past year, but in both of the things I've seen her in she was poorly served with bad characterisation. Still, nobody had it as bad as Sherilyn Fenn last year. 

Half way through Mad Men series 6 (only one more left to go after that 😢), and the episode where the doctor comes to the office to give all of the men a mysterious injection "for their own good" was absolutely hilarious. Don Draper on speed was hysterical to see, I really love this show's brilliant sleight of hand in the way it handles humour, it's so deft and perfectly timed just like pretty much everything else. One wouldn't expect to see visual humour in this sort of show, but there's a surprising amount of it sprinkled throughout the epic sweep of this swaggering soap to end them all. How come Drax never talked about Mad Men here anyway? 

Something else I eventually got along with lately was The Good Place. Another one of these "quirky" and "offbeat" US comedy series which seem to have all but completely replaced the traditional sitcom model in recent times, I very nearly stopped watching it after the first two or three episodes. Heck, even four and five didn't have me sold and I was aware at one point I was watching simply because it was short. I've tried and failed with other similarish US content lately; Parks & Rec, The Last Man on Earth - all of them unsuccessful in getting me on their level and then totally abandoned. But something about The Good Place kept me giving it "one more try." 

Inconsiderate, crude and just not very nice Eleanor appears one day, in a pleasant and bright office of unknown origins, and sitting across from her is Ted Danson's Michael "The Architect", who goes on to inform her she's dead and welcome to the wonderful afterlife! He tells her she was one of the lucky ones to be chosen for a place in the heaven of his design as a result of the wholesome and kind life she lived back on Earth. Eleanor very quickly realises there must have been some mixup and keeps it to herself! What follows is some of the most inventive wit and visual gaggery (with kooky special effects) you're likely to find in any comedy show doing the rounds today. In fact, I'd say there's probably no new comedy more original than what goes on in The Good Place. It was worth sticking with! That, and there's something so cool which happens in the first season finale that I just couldn't say no to more evening investment after it. 

aqc7na6.jpg

He's so loveable in this, it's really quite charming. In contrast to his Larry David arch nemesis "buddy" in Curb, where he plays a passive aggressive cunt even to rival David himself. 

We've slacked off in our binge watching of this show. We're somewhere in the tenth season, which is just meandering with no strong storylines. I lost most interest after Diane left. I think the show jumps the shark when Sam and Rebecca finally pursue each other.

My wife never saw the Stargate TV series (SG-1, Atlantis and Universe).  So a month or so after we were married we started watching it.

I have used this guide to follow to interweave Atlantis with SG-1.  We just started Season 9 of SG-1 and Season 2 of Atlantis. She's loving it all so far.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1b5T6bk5bS9LDaIVXR55-agOd_FYgTN0TZcpZDfvnMg4/pub?output=html

Edit: I know this is for last TV series you watched but not sure if there is a thread for current TV series...don't remember.

Hardly a series, but a three-part BBC Four series called 'Sound of Cinema The Music that Made the Movies', a really well-made production featuring several composers and also some examples not just out of the american blockbuster history of the last 30 years.

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

11 hours ago, Quintus said:

He's so loveable in this, it's really quite charming. In contrast to his Larry David arch nemesis "buddy" in Curb, where he plays a passive aggressive cunt even to rival David himself. 

Have you ever watched Bored To Death? It was a short lived comedy on HBO, but has two short seasons of some great stuff. Might not be quite your show but it features a wonderful Ted Danson.

We watched the first episode of that and I liked it and wanted to continue, but Marcy didn't, and I haven't returned to it.  One day!

I flew through Outlander season 3 and Designated Survivor recently, and just finished season 1 of Bates Motel. (all had really good scores, although Callery's score is unsurprisingly unreleased)

Honestly, the idea of weekly episodes feels old fashioned. I just want to sit down for 2 or 3 days and watch what's basically one big-ass movie.

I tried to start The West Wing a few weeks ago, but my god it feels dated. I'll keep going at some point.

Really enjoyed it. The tone does change somewhat mid-season but it kept my interest without problem. I'm looking forward to season 4 already.

And McCreary's score is out next week! That's another advantage to leaving it this late to watch it (although that wasn't intentional - I just missed the fact that it had started again).

Norwegian comedy series doesn't seem a most likely prospect but enough of the Pythonesque jokes land and it's a charming Netflix addition amidst the onslaught of US stuff.

250px-Norsemencover.jpg