What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

6 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Batwoman? That's awfully PC. What about Batgirl?

Actually, these two are different characters, lol. 

Batgirl is most famously Barbara Gordon, Comissioner Gordon's daughter. She was crippled by the Joker on the now infamous The Killing Joke, but since the new 52 relaunch she regained her position as Batgirl.

Now Batwoman is an entirely different character. She is actually Kate Kane, a cousin of Bruce Wayne that starts operating as Batwoman since 2006 when Batman went missing after the events of Infinite Crisis - just like, apparently, on this series.

Yeah, for a character that says that likes to work alone, Batman surely has A LOT of helpers and sidekicks.

Disenchantment

Matt Groening's new adult animated series, now for Crapflix. It features his trademark animation style and humor and mixes elements from Futurama and The Simpsons, but on a fantasy/D&D scenario: there's a Bender-like and a Fry-like character, the king of the realm is basically medieval Homer (an idiotic lazy overweight patriarch, which has a complicated relationship with a rebellious offspring, on this case, his daughter), and so it goes.

Also, like some adult animations from the recent past (Rick and Morty, Final Space, etc), it has a more serialized story, with arcs and misteries that lasts for several episodes. I guess this is the trend for the genre now: instead of the sitcoms set on small towns with dirty jokes from the 90s, now we have more high-concept stories, long story arcs that goes on for episodes and sometimes seasons and a bigger presence of adventure, sci-fi/fantasy and drama (in a more "serious" way, instead of just parodies) along with the comedy.

Still, a pretty fun series to binge.

I started out hating it, but then I stuck with it, and enjoyed the depth of some of the backstory. 

The second half of the season has some filler but it ends on a pretty interesting cliffhanger. 

30 minutes ago, woj said:

I started out hating it, but then I stuck with it, and enjoyed the depth of some of the backstory. 

The second half of the season has some filler but it ends on a pretty interesting cliffhanger. 

Have you watched Futurama? If so, where would you say this series stacks up? 

The King's voice is Bender. 

The pig is Matt Berry of The IT Crowd fame. 

There are other noticeable voices reused, like the alien queen and the skinny green alien. I'm not good with their names. 

And somewhere in the last couple episodes, there's a Farnsworth street they cross. 

This is a similar show to Futurama, which grew on me at my wife's insistence. It creates a complicated fictional universe with in-jokes and pop culture references and gags. The budget must be bigger because of the noticeable use of computer graphics to improve the 3D appearance of the world. 

If you like Futurama, you'll at least appreciate Disenchanted. If you hated it, you will probably hate this too. 

16 hours ago, woj said:

The King's voice is Bender. 

The pig is Matt Berry of The IT Crowd fame. 

There are other noticeable voices reused, like the alien queen and the skinny green alien. I'm not good with their names. 

And somewhere in the last couple episodes, there's a Farnsworth street they cross. 

And Billy West (Fry, Farnsworth, etc.) is Sorcerio, and some others.

It's nowhere near the brilliance of Futurama. But it has its funny moments, and I just find the world and characters very likable. It could be great with some more focused writing. Basically, it's still a bunch of loosely related episodes, with more serialised story lines only creeping in occasionally (mostly at the end of each season).

Modern Family 11x02 Snapped

I thought the smart fridge was some lame forced product placement at first until it became super unrealistic AI.  That was all very dumb.  Clarie's storyline with the magazie shoot was lame, but the Gloria and Jay storyline was pretty funny

Always Sunny In Philadephia 14x03 Dee Day

One of the funnier eps in a while, nice setup and payoff with funny moments along the way, I was cracking up at the accents

Saturday Night Live 45x03 David Harbour / Camila Cabello

The gritty Oscar The Grouch / Jokey parody sketch was pretty good, as was the cold open.  Most everything else was forgettable.  Harbour was pretty good at least

Mr. Robot 4x02 402 Payment Required

Damn, that opening montage / Price narration reminding us of the whole plot so far (at least from Whiterose's POV) and the current stakes of all the characters was really great, and came at just the right time to keep us on board with everything happening.  Dom seeing a glimmer of hope in meeting a disappear-er was nice, but then being reminded of the cruelty of the Dark Army with her 99.9% scenario makes me think even that guy is a setup by the Dark Army to see if she'll try to use him or not.  Other than that, the episode somewhat felt like just treading water, with all the stuff about Elliot and Darlene's mom, and Elliot getting Price to setup getting the Deus guys in the same room, until the slam-bang shocker reveal at the end of the episode.  That was awesome and I do think it's something Esmail's planned the whole time and is not a random final season idea.  So many possibilities....

The Good Place (Season 1)

forking loved it! The script is wonderful, the cast is great, the stories are simultaneously hilarious and thrilling... I can see why they say this has become one of the best comedy series on recent years.

And actually, I was kinda surprised when I checked Wikipedia and they said this was on NBC, and not a streaming original series (here it's on Netflix, the even cards "A Netflix Original Series" before the beginning of the episodes). I thought  the series, with its agile plot and lots of unexpected twists and turns, makes it perfect for binge-watching. I've finished the entire season in two sits, actually (although it's just 13 episodes).

I really love unpredictable series, and, with the unexpected plot twist at the ending of the season, I literally can't imagine where the story goes for the next three seasons!

Also, I loved Troy. His participations always made me ROFL.

In my opinion the show peaked with that brilliant season 1 ending twist.  Nothing they've done since has reached that magic level at all IMO

We're 3 episodes into season 3 now and it feels like they are just spinning their wheels and repeating themselves.  Big bummer because season 1 was indeed so amazing (and the cast is brilliant)

Season 1 & 2 were good (the first season is rare comedy genius), but I felt the whole thing fell off a cliff in S3 and I've only bothered to watch the first epi of S4 so far, which was bad.

Season 4 will be over by January so you could always watch season 2 in November, season 3 in December, then season 4 in January

Modern Family 11x03 Perfect Pairs

Decently funny this week, always funny to see Rosa from B99 in something else

Always Sunny In Philadephia 14x04 The Gang Chokes

Dee was pretty funny this week, Frank was alright, Charlier was alright, the Mac and Dennis storyline was wack

The Good Place 4x03 Chillaxing

I dunno, I don't feel as though any plot happening right now holds interest for me at all.  I feel like not is all as it seems though, and something needs to be revealed soon to shake things up.  Since what basically happened in this episode is Eleanor tortured Chidi and felt tortured for having to do it, I'm starting to wonder if they really are in the situation they think they are, having to beat the Bad Place in a contest judged by Maya Rudolph, or if they are really all just still in the bad place being tortured and that whole setup is just another layer of torture for everyone.  I also wish the show would focus more on the original 4 humans (plus MIchael and Janet), I don't find myself caring about the blogger guy or the male chauvinist guy.  And while Simone is great, the fact that KHB is one of the busiest actresses working today means there's little chance she has that many scenes left this season so they can't focus on her too much.  Hopefully the figure shown approaching the town at the end of the episode will make things more interesting

On 10/18/2019 at 10:01 AM, Quintus said:

Season 1 & 2 were good (the first season is rare comedy genius), but I felt the whole thing fell off a cliff in S3 and I've only bothered to watch the first epi of S4 so far, which was bad.

Agreed. It’s bizarre how sharp of a drop it’s become, especially considering how short each season is. I was happy to hear they were ending it with Season 4, but they couldn’t even sustain it that long. 

Been going back to one of my old favorites again, Survivor. Some seasons are just pure chess-like entertainment, the plotting in them is thick and the tribal councils mind-boggling. It seems each new year the gameplay is improving: the major seasons that brought about the age of crazy scheming and blindsiding are s19, s20, and s26, but now all the new ones are like this, now fashioning the term "block voting," as in no more alliances but simply people who play like pros. There's almost 40 seasons now, and it is only the fanbase who have been witnessing this cutthroat evolution of the game. You have to be some kind of wiz to play nowadays.

On 10/19/2019 at 4:38 AM, Jay said:

The Good Place 4x03 Chillaxing

Episode 4 is better, some genuine laughs this time around and sets off what will probably be a bigger story going into later this season.

Last night, I caught an episode of S.W.A.T.

It has the same identikit cast, the same identikit leader, the same identikit "older" boss, the same identikit plot, the same identikit editing, the same identikit photography, the same identikit score, and the same identikit "I-don't-care-just-shut-up-and-give-me-the-damned-paycheck", phoned-in, lazy, cynical performances, as almost every other "modern" TV show. Even the appearance of Sherilyn Finn (who was either a prisoner, or an inmate, or a member of staff, at some institution - honesty, I gave up even pretending to care), couldn't save it.

My dear friend, at JWfan, I implore you, I implore you; if you value your mental and emotional health, if you regard your time as precious, and if you don't want your brain to turn to applesauce, with 45 minutes, then please, please avoid this huge, steaming turd.

I’m watching a new episode of The Simpsons right now for the first time in several years.  It’s not good but it is pretty funny that they managed it so that the 30th Treehouse of Horror is the 666th episode of the show to air. :lol:

For any Mindhunter watchers, the dude who plays Holden is currently on Broadway in a revival of Little Shop of Horrors.  As soon as I saw this picture I realized it was a role he was born to play

Jonathan Groff with an early version of Audrey II, alongside, from left, Ari Groover, Joy Woods and Salome Smith in “Little Shop of Horrors.”

- The Man In The High Castle S1: Surprisingly Ordinary TV.

91DRphm6IEL._RI_.jpg

But Rufus Sewell is always good.

- Living With Yourself: Watched 3 episodes. It's okay. Sometimes funny.

Living_With_Yourself.jpg

I miss Mindhunter.

I began the second season but it was noticeably more boring, at least early on. Shame, because I read that it got quite good. But it's ages ago now and I don't think I can be bothered.

The first season ends quite satisfyingly as is anyway.

I haven't watched any Prime original programming yet, but am curious about Homecoming, The Boys, and Modern Love... and I suppose Jack Ryan and Hanna, maybe

But I am happy to have discovered Schitt's Creek, Mr. Robot, and Fleabag all thanks to them being free on Amazon Prime

Just now, Jay said:

I haven't watched any Prime original programming yet, but am curious about Homecoming, The Boys, and Modern Love... and I suppose Jack Ryan and Hanna, maybe

But I am happy to have discovered Schitt's Creek, Mr. Robot, and Fleabag all thanks to them being free on Amazon Prime

Image quality is very so-so and many TV shows are not lip-sync. Won't be keeping it.  

I haven't had those issues at my end. Alex's kit might be dodgy.

The Boys looked phenomenal in 4K HDR thanks to Amazon streaming.

Another thing: I've noticed in recent times that their film catalogue is now VASTLY superior to Netflix's, at least in the UK. All we get here on Netflix nowadays is Netflix originals, supplemented by what feels like a painfully small handful of regular Hollywood/international movies. By contrast I can scroll through Amazon's choices and never seem to run out of them.

On the films front both services are still very far from ideal though.

Yea something must not be right with Alex's setup or his country has different situation going on with stuff, because on my setup in the USA, the picture quality of Prime is better than Netflix, especially the 4K HDR content - and I've never had lip sync issues with either

My setup does have issues with DTS content streamed through my in-built Roku in my TV, but I can just switch over to the FireStick and that fixes it