What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

It's not the kind of pilot that like, tells a complete story and then a series later goes on from there, it's a big setup that leaves you wanting more type of thing

Smiley's People

eight_col_methode_times_prod_web_bin_064

Alec Guinness's interrogation of Michel Lonsdale (a bumbling Russian trade attaché with a few vices too many) is a highpoint, british superiority (long gone) at its peak.

2 hours ago, publicist said:

Smiley's People

eight_col_methode_times_prod_web_bin_064

Alec Guinness's interrogation of Michel Lonsdale (a bumbling Russian trade attaché with a few vices too many) is a highpoint, british superiority (long gone) at its peak.

Most of this mini series is just Smiley and another character talking, but its incredibly involving somehow. 

2 hours ago, publicist said:

british superiority (long gone) at its peak.

The sense of it still resonates in places all around the world though, and the British will play on it when necessary ;):pfft:😎

53 minutes ago, publicist said:

As you should!

My theory is the whole pro European "the UK is making a colossal mistake" movement is actually a front for a massive collective fear washing over otherwise nervous member states that the UK might, as they always do, dare to make a success of it. Imagine the embarrassment!

Saw a lot of that but it was one of those shows where you drift away from and and forget to carry on with it for no reason. Really good series, great characters - very British writing.

3 Episodes of The Mandalorian. It's Star Wars at its most Western. Looks good and expensive for the most part but the shootout scene in Episode 3 look somewhat TV-ish.

huc-001610.jpg

Just now, Holko said:

Rewatched My Brilliant Friend. Still brilliant. Season 2 please!

Never came across that Blu-ray they had announced a long time ago. 

The Mandalorian Episode 4. 

He's a one-man A-Team rescuing the Indians. 

mandalorian-4-julia-jones-omera.jpg

12 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Never came across that Blu-ray they had announced a long time ago. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brilliant-Friend-Blu-ray-Elisa-Genio/dp/B07L9M6Z6T/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=my+brilliant+friend+bluray&qid=1578860487&sr=8-1 ?

Just now, Holko said:

Amazon UK? UK?! The UK doesn't like us, Holko. I was hoping to stumble upon it in the MediaMarkt. 

Oh. Stumbling upon things in MediaMarkt is feebler than quickly using the no-customs window while it's still open, though.

Schitt's Creek 6x01 Smoke Signals

A wonderful start to the final season.  Not really liking that they seem to be setting up that it will all take place before Alexis joins Ted in the Galapagos, which would mean no Ted appearances, but we'll see where it goes.  Moira in the closet was pretty funny but the trip to the creek with the indecent exposure was a little odd.  The wedding sequence payoff with the reason why the first Sundays are discounted was hilarious, especially with the pork chops button during the final scene :)

The Good Place 4x10 You've Changed, Man

Well that was... ehhhhhhh

The middle of the season got so good with episodes 7,8,9, and then the month hiatus increased hype and we get... a lot of exposition and philosophical theorycrafting at the expense of comedy and character development.  I guess it was inevitable that the writers would have to have their characters explain some sort of ideal afterlife at some point in the show, but it was frankly a little boring to just have them lay it out while others listened.  Part of the problem was the stakes created, of them having to come up with it in 30 minutes before the judge marbelizes all the Janets and destroys the Earth, just didn't ever feel like an actual danger at all - probably because that deadline started 2 episodes prior!

I did enjoy the newly minted charismatic and sure of himself Chidi, and the touching scene between Sean and Michael.  Certainly the most character development Sean's ever gotten!

3 episodes left!

Dracula

This new Netflix miniseries was awesome! Just an engaging crash course in modern hammy schlock full of hilarity and depravity. No wonder everyone else hated it on IMDb, it barely conforms to the traditional Stoker lore and runs with its own thing with the showrunners' puhgrethivithm that oddly fits well with Dracula's creepy pervertedness anyway. That said, the bloke playing the title role is likely to rank high on people's favourite Dracula lists, and the chick playing two distant generations of Van Helsing gave me a chuckle with her accent and hysterical lines like "Who gave Dracula ze wyfy pashwerrrd?!" My only disappointment was the David Arnold score – too bland and anonymous.

Finished The Witcher.

Grimdark mumbo jumbo which is undoubtedly wobbly as heck in its first season, yet I still quite enjoyed it. Sum of its parts and all that, there's just something about this motley crew of hot mages and heart of gold killers that is mystifyingly moreish. That the story and characterisation are sometimes conveyed in a broadly abstract and often downright vague sense lends it just enough of a degree of nutty peculiarity as merit that I can't help but be into it.

Seemingly peppered with plot holes throughout (or is it?), this is not a show for the rationally fussy or the literal minded. Certainly not a fantasy series for Jason and Thor, I don't think. The nonlinear structure of the story and the conceptual logic built into the Witcher universe in TV adaptation form would no doubt play havoc with a more nitpicky disposition, perhaps justifiably. You have been warned! Alternatively, chill out and try to go along with it and there is plenty to like here already (the two main leads are excellent) and I reckon the difficult groundwork is laid soundly for the sequel next year. 3 out of 5 from me.

oBTMXow.jpg

On 1/14/2020 at 3:13 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

The Brazilian one?

No not the fagala Jesus one. 

Once upon a time we used to be famous for our soccer players, samba and the beautiful, exotic landscapes of Rio. Now we're famous because of a Netflix special starring a gay Jesus has inspired a terrorist attempt. Is it too late to say I'm from Argentina?

Modern Family 11x10 The Prescott

Wow, that was shockingly one of the best episodes they've had in years, certainly the best since the Vegas episode, which this was clearly modeled after (even featuring Stephen Merchant again, who was very funny)

Modern Family 11x12 Legacy

What the fuck was this shit?  That made no sense.  Poor Fred Willard.  Why wasn't his grandkids at the memorial?  Why was the memorial so short?  Why wasn't his wife mentioned?  WTF is up with this shit?

Schitt's Creek 6x02 The Incident

That was really sweet, I loved the "day in the life" approach to David and Patrick. Alexis is so funny helping Moria out with PR on social media.  The B plot of Johnny and Stevie potentially buying another motel and Stevie telling Johnny at the end what she wants from life, and his reply to her, was fantastic.  Final season is shaping up to be wonderful.

The Good Place 4x11 Mondays, Am I Right?

Yea..... I dunno.  There was a lot of funny stuff this week; All of Vicyi's scenes were glorious, and Jason was on fire ("you telled me..." / "chess... MATE!").. and the Chidi/Eleanor romance was really sweet.  No to mention the Tahani scene in Vicky's scenario was a great call back to the old family dynamics she had on earth when she was alive.  But somehow, these final episodes aren't adding up to being more than the sum of their parts, it's somehow less than.  I think there's just no sense of stakes or drama at all, it's just a bunch of stuff happening and that's that.

That being said, I am intrigued by our four heroes going to the actual Good Place at the end of the episode, so it will be interesting to see what they have in store for us this week there.

Curb S10e01 ;)

On 1/22/2020 at 2:09 PM, Quintus said:

And preliminary thoughts are that it's more "curby" than last season (3 years ago), even if David still continues to evolve the character into more of an OTT sociopath of near cartoony proportions. I preferred the subtlety of older Curb; the way it would gradually ramp up the absurdity as a tension device back then, all for the big punchline at the end, it was sheer comedy genius. But now the carefully pitched choreography has all but been thrown out and replaced with a nigh on endless amount of sight gags and anti PC commentary throughout the 39min runtime of the first episode. It's okay though: because it's funny.

#MeToo, Harvey Weinstein and Trump supporters were all themes of this episode (years ago David would have awarded each of these targets an episode to themselves), and it was as ruthlessly uncaring as Curb ever was in weaving them together into plot which hopefully saw David set up a season arc which is going to involve him being accused of being a sexual assaulting creep. Because he hasn't done that one for a while.

Larry just needs to calm it down a touch. He needs to trust us not to become impatient. We don't need belligerent humour every other minute.

12 hours ago, KK said:

I don't know where I gave up, but I got pretty bored with the new season. 

8 hours ago, Quintus said:

I've watched around five of them and it's bad. Although, read the reviews and they'd have you think it is a masterpiece.

The first 5-6 episodes of Season 4 were pretty lame, then things turned around and finally got interesting through episodes 7,8, and especially 9.  Then they took a month off and since coming back, episodes 10 and 11 have been... underwhelming.  Here's hoping 12 tonight, and the hour-long finale 13 and 14 next week, is worth the early slog!