What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

Meanwhile, I'm still watching The Office and Michael Scott just left Dunder Mifflin. 

I'm not ashamed to admit that man-tears were shed for Michael Scott's last episode.

On 2/22/2020 at 10:23 AM, publicist said:

MV5BZWEwZTcyNjctMjAzZC00ZGU0LWIxYWQtMDAw

I wouldn't think i would see in my lifetime Al Pacino in a comic-book re-imagining of the Holocaust, but there you have it, complete with shrill production design and glossy filters. Had to turn it off after one episode.

Its wonderfully schlocky. It doesn't make your country's past look any better or any worse.

On 2/23/2020 at 12:53 PM, Þekþiþm said:

Anyone else watching Homeland Season 8?

Yep, Homeland airs on Channel 4 in the UK on Sunday nights and I've watched every season. 2 episodes of Season 8 have aired so far. 

9 hours ago, Quintus said:

Starts out top tier, especially after that reveal at the end of S1; tapers off a bit in S2 but still decent, then continues a downhill trend into S3, eventually CRASHING AND BURNING in S4. I didn't finish it.

The first two are totally worth watching though.

Meanwhile, I'm still watching The Office and Michael Scott just left Dunder Mifflin. I hear I'm about to hit a major rut in that series too. But it doesn't matter: I had seven seasons worth of absolute bliss. This is without a doubt one of the greatest comedy series ever made, putting to bed any sort of quaint comparisons with the UK original. The only lasting similarity really is the setting.

Season 4 of The Good Place does pick up for the last 2-3 episodes. It ends well.

As for The Office, I quite enjoyed Michael Scott’s replacements, even though they weren’t as good as him. Will Ferrell’s small arc was hilarious, I thought. 

The first episode of The Office sans Michael Scott was surprisingly one of the funniest of the season tbh. These characters are so good, maybe they can carry on a while longer without him after all.

The search for a new manager last night... I noticed the gag rate was very high this episode - I'd not seen such rapid fire hilarity in this show since probably season 3 or 4. It's been consistently good for 7 seasons, but there was definitely a mild decline in joke rate in these later seasons, until last night's episode. Regardless, Dwight has been fuckin' awesome throughout.

I'm really gonna miss these guys. Still, at least we've got nearly 50 instalments left to watch!

Recently watched Park Chan-Wook's The Little Drummer Girl. For the most part, it's pretty good. It's a better, somewhat classier version of Homeland.

Enjoyed the score too. Sadly, doesn't seem to be available anywhere.

On 2/26/2020 at 11:21 AM, Þekþiþm said:

FB_IMG_1581984819289.jpg

Dunno about you, but damn I miss Morena Baccarin and her willingness to disrobe from those early seasons. 

MILFiest MILF who ever MILFed.  

curb_your_enthusiasm_ver10_xlg.jpg

The expected fatigue of long-running series notwithstanding, S10 has some fun going-on's, with occasional highlights like the MAGA hat but also David's irascibility at a ceiling level that lends the series some of its funniest moments (the slight store!). The contrivances are there as usual, but the rakish performers make you forget them.

Yeah I enjoyed Lost Legacy a lot. Proved that you could tell a compelling story in that universe without Drake.

Although Naughty Dog is done with the franchise, I fully expect it to return from one of Sony’s other studios on PS5. 

I finished a 8 week and 1 day (somewhat) speed-rewatch of How I Met Your Mother. The first three or four seasons are still very good, and while there's a notable drop afterwards and an increased tendency to confuse humour with plain profanity, there's still lots to enjoy and some of the best stuff afterwards. It's certainly two or three seasons too long, and it shows in S7 and S8, but the final season is generally very good, and the much-debated finale, which I liked well enough when it first came out, is actually spot on and probably among the top 5 episodes of the show. It's quite a feat to have a show running for 9 years (and in fact a few too many) and still deliver a consistent, surprising, and quite moving long con conclusion. Even more so when it's in fact not a con and the much-debated presumed twist is in fact the only way to stay true to everything the show has established up to that point.

Hard disagree!  The ending was something they came up with during season 2 or 3 when the kids were about to age out of being able to play themselves unaging, and then years later they stuck to that ending they shot instead of realizing "oh shit, Ted and the mother have amazing chemistry, and barney and robin have amazing chemistry, let's change that old ending we shot where the mother died and robin and barney get divorced, and write new ending that is true to where we organically ended up with these characters in the years since we wrote that"

But the entire series throughout has always come back to Ted and Robin, and while much of the sitcom material is based on cliches, there's always a bit of something more "real" than a "happily ever after" fairy tale. Plus it simply doesn't make sense to tell a 9 year long story about mostly Robin and the rest of the group and just a little bit about the mother it it's really just about meeting here and nothing else. And the whole concept of characters believing there's only one match for them and then finding out they were wrong is also set up long in advance.

They forced it to come back to Ted and Robin because they had shot that ending.  Robin had way more chemistry with Barney than she ever had with Ted.  The Mother and Ted were a perfect match. Killing her off was stupid, and undoing all of Barney's growth in the final season was stupid too.  Bad decisions all around and I'm not surprised Carter & Bays haven't had a successful followup show yet

12 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Dunno about you, but damn I miss Morena Baccarin and her willingness to disrobe from those early seasons. 

MILFiest MILF who ever MILFed.  

Mmm farrkk, nice little tits on her

TV's highest paid star is leaving her show after 25 years. Judge Judith Scheindlin is ending her run. 47 million dollars a year and she is retiring.

We binge watched through three seasons of The Good Place in two weekends, only to now find out there's no place to stream the first 8 episodes of Season 4.

Now we wait. 

On 2/22/2020 at 5:23 PM, publicist said:

MV5BZWEwZTcyNjctMjAzZC00ZGU0LWIxYWQtMDAw

I wouldn't think i would see in my lifetime Al Pacino in a comic-book re-imagining of the Holocaust, but there you have it, complete with shrill production design and glossy filters. Had to turn it off after one episode.

Well, we gave it a try, but you were right. Damn, that was a long first episode! I'm afraid we'll keep it at that. BTW, what's Prime's obsession with Nazis? The Man In The High Castle and now Hunters?

So instead of continuing with Hunters, I checked out Locke & Key on Netflix. The audience at home seems to love it, but nah, it's not for me either. It's more for kids and young teens. Sigh ... 

pasted-image-0-2.png

We turned Locke off rather quickly 

I finished Hunters. I enjoyed every perverse moment.  What a joy to see poetic justice dished out. I was wrong it did make Germany look worse. I will watch season 2 sans Big Al. I love hating Nazi's. 

13 hours ago, Þekþiþm said:

You people have no idea what you're missing in Homeland Season 8. The last few eps have been astronomically thrilling and suspenseful. Damn fine television!

Just like what you said about S8 of Game of Thrones. Everyone was wrong and you were right about that too.

Actually no, you just have terrible taste and untrustworthy judgement. "The masses" do actually get it right more often than not.

It just seems Jay feels stung that the show isn't about Brody anymore, which would be petty since it's done other interesting and exciting things since then, especially Season 4's siege on the US embassy in Pakistan, the plot to bomb Berlin in Season 5, Quinn's tragic story in Season 6, and the DC intrigue of Season 7. Not to mention poor Carrie struggling with accommodating her daughter into her hectic and dangerous life. Season 8 is evidently tying up loose ends from Season 4, and the last two episodes to air so far this season were among the very best the show's offered.

I don't give a crap about Brody, it's just not a very compelling show any more.  There's so many way better shows being made these days.  I'm glad you enjoy the show but please stop dragging me into your analysis.  I don't care.