What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

I'm midway through season 6 in my Covidian Buffy marathon. It's just as depressing and trashy as I remember. The shift to UPN was dreadful. I do like where they took Willow with her witchcraftian addiction, but it's just sad to see Buffy boning Spike and feeling pathetic. Poor baby. Xander and Anya are next to be doomed, then Tara, while these insufferable nerd characters persist.

Still, the drama is engrossing and the performances by SMG and Alyson are spectacular. It's like an epic train wreck you just can't stop watching even though it's horrible. Everything sort of came together in season 5 and now it's all crashing down worse than ever.

2 hours ago, KK said:

Just finished this over the weekend. It's as poignant and charming as ever. The new season eschews some of the more elaborate world-building of the first for a more personal dive into richer characters. Still some of the best, and easily most underrated stuff on television!

Finishing it today with ep8 but it's still shot fantastically, designed fantastically, acted great, written great... for the middle few episodes I thought the pacing was weaker than s1 but now it's picking back up again.

5 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I'm midway through season 6 in my Covidian Buffy marathon. It's just as depressing and trashy as I remember. The shift to UPN was dreadful. I do like where they took Willow with her witchcraftian addiction, but it's just sad to see Buffy boning Spike and feeling pathetic. Poor baby. Xander and Anya are next to be doomed, then Tara, while these insufferable nerd characters persist.

Still, the drama is engrossing and the performances by SMG and Alyson are spectacular. It's like an epic train wreck you just can't stop watching even though it's horrible. Everything sort of came together in season 5 and now it's all crashing down worse than ever.

Seasons 6 and 7 both feel like appendages after the tense climactic finality of Season 5, but 6 still has a lot that I enjoy, especially Dark Willow and Spike somehow overpowering Buff in her own bathroom.

9 hours ago, Holko said:

Finishing it today with ep8 but it's still shot fantastically, designed fantastically, acted great, written great... for the middle few episodes I thought the pacing was weaker than s1 but now it's picking back up again.

Yea it veered a little dangerously close to soap territory on the island this time, but all the major beats still land with a punch.

Very different kind of show Lee. It's a bildungsroman-type fare, about the beautiful little things and hypocrisies in growing up. Its enormous attention to detail in its world-building (lush Italian summers, grimey Neapolitan neighbourhoods, etc) and character-building is what makes it very affecting.

8 hours ago, Þekþiþm said:

Seasons 6 and 7 both feel like appendages after the tense climactic finality of Season 5, but 6 still has a lot that I enjoy, especially Dark Willow and Spike somehow overpowering Buff in her own bathroom.

I didn't like Spike because of that scene, thus they set out to have him redeem himself. While I realise he was a demon, his character had evolved in the previous seasons into a kind of good man and they undid all of that. He had become more interesting than Angel who required a soul to not be a psychotic monster. The season 6 trope of everyone fucks up grew tiresome. Spuffy was cute when there was a mutual respect after season 5, but when it became a trashy sex affair, it was, well, trashy.

20 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I just enjoy "Once More With Feeling" from S6. Joss stepping back to focus on "Firefly" during that season really hurt the writing. Buffy was great in its first five seasons, but after that, SMG and Joss didn't give a shit.

And god, I HATE Warren and Andrew. 

I wouldn't say they didn't give a shit. Someone very much gave a shit to craft nearly every storyline so that the characters are constantly screwing up and suffering. The development of dark Willow was really great too. At least they focused on the core cast in this one. I think one of the things that messed up season 7 for me was the overwhelming amount of supporting characters I couldn't stand like the potentials, Warren, Principal Blade etc. The nerds absolutely sucked but I like where they took the Warren thing, jet packs and Last Crusade sawblades notwithstanding.

15 hours ago, KK said:

Very different kind of show Lee. It's a bildungsroman-type fare, about the beautiful little things and hypocrisies in growing up. Its enormous attention to detail in its world-building (lush Italian summers, grimey Neapolitan neighbourhoods, etc) and character-building is what makes it very affecting.

Perfectly put, KK!

Have you watched Tales Of The Loop yet, the unique sci-fi series on Prime? I would love to hear your opinion on it.

Not yet! But definitely curious about it. Does it get a Cremers recommendation?

Been watching Community again, now that it's on Netflix. Man, this stuff was a real riot!

Turns out there's a good reason everyone seems to have gone loony over Tiger King - it's a strong dose of light relief in these intensely repetitious times and the outlandish but real story which unfolds is as juicy as it gets for a documentary. These trashy and sinister characters are undoubtedly highly charismatic personalities and you can't help but ogle at them. It also helps that the makers of this glossy slice of weird american cultism know exactly what they have on their hands and how to frame them. The honest to goodness stars are pure scum but the production is as slick and focused as any other higher end subject matter doc on the market. Every episode reveals new surprises and it's pretty nifty the way it draws you in so effectively against your own snobby expectations. Strike up another bona fide smash for Netflix. Watch and enjoy it the way you watch and enjoy slow-mo crash dummy tests.

Devs

It’s OK.

Spoiler

I hated the main character though. I should be specific: I mean the actress. I hope this pays her enough to send her to acting school so she can learn how to act.

Or just walk properly. She doesn’t move her arms when she walks. It looks absolutely retarded! She doesn’t move her face while acting, and she doesn’t move her arms while walking.

Oh my God, with somebody else cast in the main role, this would have gone from “OK” to “good not great.”

D49208F9-546F-4C18-9007-1F102FCD0647.jpeg

21 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I wouldn't say they didn't give a shit. Someone very much gave a shit to craft nearly every storyline so that the characters are constantly screwing up and suffering. The development of dark Willow was really great too. At least they focused on the core cast in this one. I think one of the things that messed up season 7 for me was the overwhelming amount of supporting characters I couldn't stand like the potentials, Warren, Principal Blade etc. The nerds absolutely sucked but I like where they took the Warren thing, jet packs and Last Crusade sawblades notwithstanding.

That was the saving grace of S6. Alyson sold Willow's progression so well, still surprised she didn't get an Emmy nomination for it.

Anyone else watching Ozark? I'm sure anyone watching this was looking for their Breaking Bad fix, because it does replicate a lot of BB tropes while deliberately subverting others. And as if BB wasn't dark and disturbing enough, Ozark tries to go even darker and more evil. I find the blue tint annoying, at least BB used natural colours. What else has Patrick Bateman directed? He does alright here. But I'm not sure his character is as manly as Heisenberg.

Yes, we've seen all three seasons.  it's good!

I don't think they are deliberately trying to ape Breaking Bad, I think it just happens to cover similar territory, as any production about an "everyman" who becomes involved with a Mexican drug cartel would (even Sicario was compared to Breaking Bad by some)

Bateman doesn't direct every episode, but he is good at it, and also recently directed the first few episodes of The Outsider for HBO and did a great job there too

4 hours ago, Þekþiþm said:

Ozark tries to go even darker and more evil.

That became more and more a problem for me. Literally everyone in this show is dark and evil. It gets worse in S2.

34 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I started Ozark as well. The pilot was okay, but then I fell asleep during the second episode. 

In any case, I hope it's good.

It gets better. Loved the second season. Third had its moments.

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I started Ozark as well. The pilot was okay, but then I fell asleep during the second episode. 

In any case, I hope it's good.

Didn't the villain make you cringe? I thought he was awful, I couldn't get past him.

Not a good show to watch after Breaking Bad.

7 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

I really need to finish Breaking Bad. 

You need to finish Breaking Bad and then start and finish Better Call Saul.

24 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Didn't the villain make you cringe? I thought he was awful, I couldn't get past him.

Not really, I thought he was okay. But then again, I started watching it over midnight, I was very sleepy.

8 minutes ago, LSH said:

You need to finish Breaking Bad and then start and finish Better Call Saul.

I second that.

The Buffy writers just seemed to be in love with Riley Finn in seasons 4 and 5. It makes sense when I see that Joss Whedon did Agents of Shield, which is about a secret government organization like Riley's Initiative. He just seems to adore secret ops. It also seems entirely obvious to me that the producers were well aware of the fact that viewers didn't like Riley and retconned Buffy not truly loving him in a romantic way.

13 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

That’s the plan! I’m on Season 4 at the moment. 

It gets better and better. Last season was utterly superb.

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

About the poster?

About S1.

Just now, Þekþiþm said:

Ozark Season 2 is good.

More soapy, with every character being up to no good, just like The Bold.

On 5/15/2020 at 3:56 PM, LSH said:

It gets better and better. Last season was utterly superb.

The earlier seasons were best. The Chuck seasons.

I'm disappointed in Mrs America. The ads sold it as a romping good conflict of ideologies with real bitch fights galore (kinda like Feud: Bette and Joan), but that just isn't happening. Instead it's slogging along with irrelevant side stories and spotlights on historical figures who've probably been widely forgotten, while Cate and Rose casually carry it all along with fleeting moments of excellence. This whole story isn't strong enough to stretch out to a nine-episode mini-series; instead it might have been a fairly decent two-hour tele movie.

I'm almost finished Angel season 1. This series had some growing pains and much of the first season is how I remembered it on the WB...the boring hour after Buffy. It eventually makes some big strides and the Godfather II-esque intercutting of the backstory is really great. It shows promise! I can't wait for Fall 2000.

5 episodes of My Brilliant Friend Season 2. Three more to go.

13978480-7882-11ea-beab-7fe3318082b2_800

KK and Holko are right. I thought episode 4 (island part 1) was the best so far (even bringing back the magic of S1) but episode 5 (island part 2) was almost annoying. That being said, Lila can be quite the bitch (over-the-top so)

But I have a question. Why does the music work so well? Let's be honest, it's all basic harmonies and equally basic rhythms, and yet it's so effective, like the scene where the two girls alter the huge photo of Lila for the new shoe shop. I rarely notice or enjoy the score these days, but with this series, I do.

The scene where Lenu

loses her virginity to the creepy father, under the moonlight of the Italian beach was quite chilling though.

10 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

But I have a question. Why does the music work so well? Let's be honest, it's all basic harmonies and equally basic rhythms, and yet it's so effective, like the scene where the two girls use alter the huge photo of Lila for the new shoe shop. I rarely notice or enjoy the score these days, but with this series, I do.

Yeah. Richter's music is simple, and derivative of his own material and yet it's so perfect at bringing out the subtext of the writing and characters. Maybe something about the simplicity of the music creates more space for the viewer to invest?

Hold on, it gets right back into being better.

The music working so well is especially impressive seeing how most of it is copied over and repeated from Season 1.

14 minutes ago, KK said:

The scene where Lenu

Hide contents

loses her virginity to the creepy father, under the moonlight of the Italian beach was quite chilling though.

Very metaphorical! At least, that is, if it's the beginning of a new Lenu.

Spoiler

Just like in episode 4 where the swimming in the sea is a metaphor for 'strength'. Lenu saw Lina as fragile and weak, but it was Lenu herself who was slow and couldn't catch up with the other two.

23 hours ago, Holko said:

Hold on, it gets right back into being better.

And so right you are! Episode 6 was pretty, pretty good. 

And they got the time period down to the smallest detail:

Spoiler

Lila-My-Brilliant-Friend-Season-2-Episod