What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

1 hour ago, Þekþiþm said:

Anyone else watch John Adams? I'm watching it because Mrs Ozark is in it. And I love the main theme tune.

Given my predilection for American historical movies/tv, this is unsurprisingly one of my favorite TV miniseries ever, and maybe my favorite Laura Linney performance too.  She won a very deserving Emmy for that.

So did anyone other than me see Curb this year? It had a really shaky start and it felt more "off" than ever; but then once the mostly awkward #MeToo subplot of the first handful of 'sodes were over, and the 'spite store' storyline became the focus, this season really went up the gears in a big way. By the end, there were episodes in this season that would feel right at home in Curb fifteen years ago. One of the instalments, 'The Ugly Section', I think ranks up there with the best ever Curb episodes, it was absolutely hilarious. 

Best Curb season in years. 

13 hours ago, Þekþiþm said:

Anyone else watch John Adams?

I have the DVD set. A friend gave it to me because he was a Paul Giamatti superfan. I thought it was merely good, not the best ever. 

I don't watch this particular T.V. show, but...someone called Jimmy Fallon has apologised for putting on black face...almost twenty years ago (!). He thanked the public for "holding me accountable".

What's it got to do with the fucking public, and why does he feel the need to say "sorry" for something that happened in 2000? Can't people make mistakes, anymore, or are we all so scared shitless at the mere thought of offending anyone, especially those who might want reprisals?

18 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I don't watch this particular T.V. show, but...someone called Jimmy Fallon has apologised for putting on black face...almost twenty years ago (!). He thanked the public for "holding me accountable".

What's it got to do with the fucking public, and why does he feel the need to say "sorry" for something that happened in 2000? Can't people make mistakes, anymore, or are we all so scared shitless at the mere thought of offending anyone, especially those who might want reprisals?

Would you have preferred that he said: "Yes, I put on a black face and so what?!"

5 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Ozark (season 1)

An even darker, bleaker and more depressing Breaking Bad. A show so good that it doesn't appear to be made by Netflix, it should've been on HBO or something.

You might be taken aback that Season 3 injects some unexpected fleeting levity.

38 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Ozark (season 1)

An even darker, bleaker and more depressing Breaking Bad.

And it's only getting darker and bleaker, so much so, that it becomes hard to swallow after a while. The moral balance is lost. Everybody tries to be the best at being malicious. 

After finishing The Office a couple of weeks ago we had been looking for something to take its place, so we started watching... The Office from the beginning again. 

Caught a bit of Batwoman. I don't know how to express my feelings right now, but the show is amazingly dumb and clumsy. 

Like Uwe Boll meets Joel Schumacher.

4 hours ago, Quintus said:

After finishing The Office a couple of weeks ago we had been looking for something to take its place, so we started watching... The Office from the beginning again. 

Parks and Rec is a good companion show. 

On 5/22/2020 at 2:18 PM, Disco Stu said:

Neat that they got Pedro Pascal on there.

This was an absolute riot. And their zoom chat reunion afterwards was a real treat too:

Hope they get enough buzz for that movie! #sixseasonsandamovie

8 minutes ago, KK said:

This was an absolute riot. And their zoom chat reunion afterwards was a real treat too:

Hope they get enough buzz for that movie! #sixseasonsandamovie

I may have enjoyed the table read more than the actual episode.  Very funny.  It got me on a Community kick, just jumping around among seasons 3, 5, and 6.  So much comedy gold.

Yea, I binged through the seasons recently too. Got pretty nostalgic. Seasons 2 and 3 still set the bar for best TV comedy!

I forgot to mention I watched that Comunity table read too, and I really enjoyed it

At first I was kinda surprised they picked something from season 5 instead of 1-3, but then I remembered anything earlier would involve Chevy Chase so it was wise to do the one they did.

I liked that they left in that part where Pedro Pascal couldn't get through that one line, that was funny

1 hour ago, KK said:

Yea, I binged through the seasons recently too. Got pretty nostalgic. Seasons 2 and 3 still set the bar for best TV comedy!

Is it cut from the same cloth as The Office and Parks and Rec? I watched a few episodes back when the show first aired but didn’t think much of it at the time. 

I think it's a lot better than those, personally.  It's some of the smartest comedy writing of recent memory.  But I was always more of a 30 Rock man than an Office man back in the mid to late 2000s.  Community was right in my wheel house when it started.

7 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Is it cut from the same cloth as The Office and Parks and Rec? I watched a few episodes back when the show first aired but didn’t think much of it at the time. 

Not really. In fact, it's more of a punk-esque, "rebellious" response to stuff like The Office, which became NBC's template for "smart comedy" at the time. Community is more meta, plays with genres/form but also has a lot of heart to it. It really comes into its own around the second half of the first season, btw. So I suggest sticking it out.

3 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

I do like Alison Brie, so I’ll give it another spin. 

The cast is absolutely brilliant. One of the best comedy ensembles ever assembled, without a doubt.

Watch Steve Carell in the First Trailer for Netflix's 'Space Force ...

Carell and Malkovich do make a good enough pair, but even their combined talent cannot elevate this unfortunately rudimentary Netflix original series. Space Force never finds a comfortable tone, struggling to totally commit to it's satirical side (at least effectively), and failing to adequately balance it's main character's family life with the space aspects. It also doesn't help that it's, well, just not that funny. Plus, any reminder of the current American political landscape is a put-off for me. Not my cup of tea, maybe it's yours, but I wouldn't recommend it. 

On 5/28/2020 at 8:28 PM, Koray Savas said:

I do like Alison Brie, so I’ll give it another spin. 

I thought Community was absolutely hilarious at the start of S1, but I vaguely recall a very major drop-off not soon after. I can't remember if it was still the first season or a following one, but it was drastically less funny than it was, by the time we packed it in. I remember being disappointed. Maybe it does pick up again though.

Then again, I didn't like Parks and Rec either.

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

I thought Community was absolutely hilarious at the start of S1, but I vaguely recall a very major drop-off not soon after. I can't remember if it was still the first season or a following one, but it was drastically less funny than it was, by the time we packed it in. I remember being disappointed. Maybe it does pick up again though.

You might be the only person to share that opinion friend. It's almost universally agreed that Community really found its stride in the second season. The quality drop really began post-season 3, though the third season's own wackiness might turn some of the casual fans off.

2 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Watch Steve Carell in the First Trailer for Netflix's 'Space Force ...

Carell and Malkovich do make a good enough pair, but even their combined talent cannot elevate this unfortunately rudimentary Netflix original series. Space Force never finds a comfortable tone, struggling to totally commit to it's satirical side (at least effectively), and failing to adequately balance it's main character's family life with the space aspects. It also doesn't help that it's, well, just not that funny. Plus, any reminder of the current American political landscape is a put-off for me. Not my cup of tea, maybe it's yours, but I wouldn't recommend it. 

Also checked this out. It's ridiculous how much money has been poured into something so terribly unfunny. I just can't see what Carrell and Daniels, the team that put The Office together, thought they had with this material. Nor Netflix, for that matter, who clearly don't mind burning money, from a curator's standpoint.

I guess they were aiming for Iannucci's Veep, but in space? Except there's not a single laugh in here. And there's hardly any convincing drama. Dumb, dumb, dumb...

Game Of Thrones  (Episode 1 of Season 1)

Now that was fun! Just to see the characters when they were younger and before they developed or evolved into different personalities. The only character who looks and acts exactly the same as in the last season is Jon Snow. I guess he merely needed to portray an archetype of the Fantasy hero. 

24-winter-is-coming-season-1-ah-back-whe

But, as you can see, everything does look a little BBC video like in the first season. 

I, too, have just started to watch GAME OF THRONES (and - I shit you not - for the first time), and I'm enjoying the political intrigue, and...er...other aspects :)

You're right, Alex; that still looks like the BBC version of NARNIA, that aired in the mid-to-late 80s.

2 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I, too, have just started to watch GAME OF THRONES (and - I shit you not - for the first time), and I'm enjoying the political intrigue, and...er...other aspects :)

You're right, Alex; that still looks like the BBC version of NARNIA, that aired in the mid-to-late 80s.

I think they used different cameras from S2 onward. 

2 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

... and I'm enjoying the political intrigue, and...er...other aspects :)

ba2517cc3a88e9d4a36346cbaa69b3f4.jpg

The BBC "look" AKA the pre Netflix British TV era of filming has always been visually very off-putting to me. "High end" productions always either looked like Merlin or Heartbeat. Two flavours only: Glossy veneer and dour AF. I think that's why I ignored a great deal of homegrown 90s and early 00s content and would instead have a stronger predilection towards US output.

Everything was forced to step up though, after the big HBO and Netflix boom.

Ozark's episode 7 of season 2 was pretty amazing, with a mesmerizing performance by Laura Linney. Certainly the best episode of the show so far.

How did this show and Better Call Saul managed to lose the Emmy for that terrible final season of Game of Thrones?

I've all but erased Game of Thrones from memory. That final season or so was so bad, it effectively undid the whole thing for me.

Ah, perhaps that's why I took refuge with LotR shortly after. Hmm.

I enjoyed it, although I understand why some struggled with it, since it was muddled and just not that good in places. The two lead characters were very strong though, and they have chemistry which can be worked with. Some parts were really effective. The difficult [fantasy] groundwork has at least been laid now, and I'll watch S2 with interest in the hope there are necessary improvements made.

I'm generally quite forgiving on new TV sci-fi/fantasy in its maiden season, as there's always so much lore and world building to get established first, before the real drama can come to the fore. The Witcher had just enough intrigue about it to make me quietly confident about its future.

11 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Ozark's episode 7 of season 2 was pretty amazing, with a mesmerizing performance by Laura Linney. Certainly the best episode of the show so far.

How did this show and Better Call Saul managed to lose the Emmy for that terrible final season of Game of Thrones?

The blonde babe got an Emmy.

Is there not a single episode in GAME OF THRONES, when someone doesn't get their tits out, or someone doesn't get their throat slashed, or someone doesn't get hacked to pieces?! Does anything nice ever happen to these people?

I'm into the second series, now, and, my goodness, it's gory, and there's not a single likeable character, except, maybe, for Arya. Still, I kinda like it.

16 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Is there not a single episode in GAME OF THRONES, when someone doesn't get their tits out, or someone doesn't get their throat slashed, or someone doesn't get hacked to pieces?! Does anything nice ever happen to these people?

I'm into the second series, now, and, my goodness, it's gory, and there's not a single likeable character, except, maybe, for Arya. Still, I kinda like it.

The tits and arse fade out in the later seasons.

4 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I enjoy plenty of the characters in GOT. Of course, if you want them all to be flawless saints, then GOT is not for you, Richard.