What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

10 hours ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

Anyone watch the new Perry Mason?

21 hours ago, Jay said:

We've watched the first 3 episodes.  It's pretty boring.  Way too slow paced, with not enough character development or interesting characters to make the slow pace worth it.

At the same time, I kinda want to who's behind the main crime, so I suppose we'll watch at least one more

10 hours ago, Quintus said:

Perry Mason? I remember that from daytime TV, urrggh.

The new show is not a continuation or reboot of that old show, it's a new adaption of the same books that old show was also based on, this time adapted by some guys who worked on Boardwalk Empire, a show which so far this most closely resembles (in look and ton, but not subject matter - though it is set in the same time period)

I know. That's why I said " more Marlowe than MASON".

It's not really adapted from the books. All new except for character names.

Which is fine by me!

10 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I didn't even watch the old PERRY MASON.

Well, when the original series aired he wasnt " old"😝😁😳😅

I've seen the first few episodes a while ago. The setup seemed intriguing, but the whole thing felt really slow, and (as a native speaker and, perhaps more importantly, an Austrian), annoyingly German, so I sort of lost the drive to keep watching. By all accounts it's supposed to be pretty spectacular though, so I'll continue someday. It'll have to wait though, since I've already got a few other things queued up and also just received this today (haven't seen a single scene of it before, but it was only 15 quid):

IMG_20200711_201301__01.jpg

Hannibal is amazing, one of the best shows of the 2010s!

Note that the first half-dozen episodes are sort of a "killer of the week" formula that is pretty repetitive, but the rest of the show is never like that again, it was just a necessarily evil they had to get through to set everything up.  Stick with it!

It's one of the goriest shows I've ever seen, certainly the goriest I've ever seen on network television.  I was amazed what they got away with

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Hannibal is amazing, one of the best shows of the 2010s!

Note that the first half-dozen episodes are sort of a "killer of the week" formula that is pretty repetitive, but the rest of the show is never like that again, it was just a necessarily evil they had to get through to set everything up.  Stick with it!

Well, I bought it, so the threshold for giving up on it is higher than on a streaming service. ;) 

1 hour ago, bruce marshall said:

Tales From the Loop

My favorite TV series of 2020 so far. Doesn't feel like TV but more like you're watching a series of indie movies. It reminds me of certain SF literature that deals with the little things, not the big epic stuff.

5 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

My favorite TV series of 2020 so far. Doesn't feel like TV and more like you're watching a series of indie movies. It reminds me of certain SF literature that deals with the little things, not the big epic stuff.

I'll stick with it but the hour long format is deadly to these types of shows.

TZ was best at 30 mins

Thanks!

I checked the first three episodes out and remain unconvinced. The plots are utterly predictable, with half-assembled characters that take an entire hour to catch up to the obvious twist that you foresaw within the first 5 minutes. And the visual language is just not strong enough to justify these ponderous “meditations” (if that’s what they want to call it). The opening narration of the third episode sounded like a cringey Malick imitation, with none of the style or substance to sustain it. And no, the Philip Glass-lite arpeggios don’t succeed in making it any more “artsy”. I mean, it might all work if these individual stories didn’t feel like they were written by teenagers who just saw the Twilight Zone and wanted to try their hands on it.

I don’t think I’ll be continuing. Just stick to Black Mirror.

The first episode was incredibly slow and boring. Slow grind is normally my favoured style of storytelling, too. And even after three episodes you're saying it still doesn't pick up?

On 7/12/2020 at 9:24 AM, KK said:

I checked the first three episodes out and remain unconvinced. The plots are utterly predictable, with half-assembled characters that take an entire hour to catch up to the obvious twist that you foresaw within the first 5 minutes. And the visual language is just not strong enough to justify these ponderous “meditations” (if that’s what they want to call it). The opening narration of the third episode sounded like a cringey Malick imitation, with none of the style or substance to sustain it. And no, the Philip Glass-lite arpeggios don’t succeed in making it any more “artsy”. I mean, it might all work if these individual stories didn’t feel like they were written by teenagers who just saw the Twilight Zone and wanted to their hands on the idea.

I don’t think I’ll be continuing. Just stick to Black Mirror.

That's easily the most negative, oddest reaction I've seen so far. I don't think I can relate to anything you've said here. Cringey? Written by teens? Huh?! Black Mirror? It did not make me think of Black Mirror at all. Tales Of The Loop is much more personal, serene, literary, artsy, painterly, slow, moody and mysterious. It's like we have seen a different show altogether, KK.

BTW, nobody thinks Tales Of The Loop feels like it's written by teens, I can guarantee that. It actually feels like it's SF written from a female perspective and is therefore different from the other shows.

He guaranteed nobody thought it and yet KK literally just said it felt to him like it was written by teens. If Alex's guarantees can't be trusted, what else can we trust about what he has to say? About his critical judgements?

I tell, yer what, man, I bin watching that dang ole KING O' THE HILL, man, with that Hank Hill, his wife, Peg Leg, and that one little chubby kid, because he can't get no more spunk out, and that "whoo-hoo" cute little neice, man, and all his friends, man, and them Jap neighbours man, and all them dang ole scrapes they get into, man, I tell you what, makes me bust a gut, man, just thinkin' 'bout it, man. Pass me a cold one, will ya? Dang it.

The Simpsons laid the groundwork for animated shows ribbing 'Middle America', and Mike Judge picked that ball up and ran with it in KOTH (after the subversive brilliance of Beavis And Butthead). Both very funny shows. 

17 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Gorier than GAME OF THRONES, Jay?

Game of Thrones was on premium cable, not network, so it's different not really apples to apples.

I guess the way to explain it would be GOT showed more violence happening right in front of you, while Hannibal showed more of the aftermath of violence, like bodies all chopped up and combined into a human totem pole, or people sliced into pieces and put behind glass, stuff like that

7 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Tales Of The Loop is much more personal, serene, literary, artsy, painterly, moody and mysterious. It's like we have seen a different show altogether, KK.

Well, that's obviously the intention and the design of the show. But I don't think it does it very well. Yes, Black Mirror is the more cynical and flashier work, but even in its most contemplative moments, it raises more substantial questions than Tales of the Loop. I suggested sticking with Black Mirror, well the old Black Mirror (sadly, this show's gone to the pitts with the last season or two) because you could still get your dose of sci-fi, technological caution with better characters.

7 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

BTW, nobody thinks Tales Of The Loop feels like it's written by teens, I can guarantee that. It actually feels like it's SF written from a female perspective and is therefore different from the other shows.

Nah. I don't think that's it.

The third episode literally opens with a girl whispering "What if I could live in a moment forever?", after which she finds a device that freezes time. The second episode is Freaky Friday without a happy ending. The first one is another time travel variation. But this one has the most potential because like great sci-fi, it shows us small everyday characters stumbling onto  something larger that connects them, and Rebecca Hall is promising here, before she becomes an ancillary prop in the background for the other episodes.

These are all old, tired tropes. The kind of stories I used to see on children's shows growing up. And I wouldn't mind the use of clichés if you were planning to do something with them, or use them to open up more interesting characters. But it doesn't. They play out exactly as you'd expect (at some point, I was able to guess the dialogue, almost word to word), and they definitely don't warrant the hour runtime. It just meanders, without saying anything. And like Lee, I usually love my slow shows.

I should clarify, it's not a bad show. I guess it's just especially frustrating how the show wastes its premise, visual design and medium without asking deeper questions.

7 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

To KK, teens and women are apparently the same. I wonder what J. K. Rowling would say about that.

Uhh...where on Earth did you get that from?

1 hour ago, KK said:

Well, that's obviously the intention and the design of the show. But I don't think it does it very well. 

Well, if you think all those things aren't any good, then I understand why you don't like it, because that's what makes this TV series. I do agree with that TFTL doesn't pose the viewer deep & meaningful questions but I have no issues with that. I do connect to it emotionally. In Tales Of The Loop, the 'occurrences' have a personal effect on the characters and the show lets us experience that, just like the whole Scandinavian/Americana aesthetic and everything else is part of the experience. Every night I was looking forward to revisit the town of Tales Of The Loop, mainly to drench in its world, its atmosphere. Music is an experience, we get an emotion from it, it doesn't make us think. Tales is like music. BTW, and I hate to draw a comparison with Black Mirror, but that show doesn't make me think either. Anyway, I still think you're watching Tales from a 'wrong' angle. It's not Black Mirror, it's the anti-Black Mirror

MV5BNDM2YmM2MzktYmExOS00N2QxLTkwMGMtNmEy

I quite enjoyed Fox's (don't you believe it) clever legal show 'The Good Fight' with Christine Baranski. The series' first three seasons deal with the storylines of its three female leads and contain considerable political and social commentary, exploring topical issues such as Trump, the alt-right, the Me Too movement, online harassment, and fake news. 

But the first three seasons were hip, with Baranski coming to terms with the Trump presidency and its effects on the US (i. e. by micro-dosing LSD) and tries to prevent a second term, now the fourth trips out even more and creates an alternate timeline where Hillary won. Which creates a new set of problems, as now the hypocrisy of a democratic government is just as bad as Trump, only different (Harvey Weinstein is a valued and protected sponsor of the dems, for example). It's glossy and topical, but so much more interesting than regular shows of this ilk i cannot not recommending it.

He's also the EP on this Hilary Swank scifi show coming to Netflix soon

Currently watching Homecoming on Prime.

Homecoming-Prime-Video-1.jpg

My son thinks it's David Fincher-esque and photographically he does have a point.  

1de4d6c0ce638322530a2fec11da8d7e59c04d39

Screenshot-2019-01-17-at-14.17.27.png

d1ed8fe0e5774dd731092bee42bbb3d1.jpg

homecoming_prime_HC_103_15473_1.1.FNL.lg

The look Fincher used for Social Network, Dragon Tattoo, and Gone Girl and then continued with his House of Cards episodes has been aped by a lot of the streaming services these days.  Most streaming dramas tend to be 2:1 these days

I really liked the first season. Esmail was clearly using the premise as a playground for framing and lenses. And he manages to do that without being overbearing about it, like Noah Hawley can be.

Oh and the music choices are brilliant!

On 7/11/2020 at 10:58 PM, bruce marshall said:

Tales From the Loop

Amazon

Watched ep one.

A good TZ like premised stretched to an hour.

Anyone watch the entire series and recommendations?

Two eps in.

I have to ask:

Is that same piano cue going to be used ad nauseam for the rest of the run?

Cuz if it is, I might have to bail😰

21 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

What's yer beef with Soderberg, Lee. I like his films.

I've enjoyed some of his older stuff, but the last couple of Soderberg flicks I watched were dour AF. He has adopted what I consider to be a really sterile style of direction, IMO, from the way he has his performers act to the way his films are photographed, it's all pretty soulless stuff to me.