What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

1 minute ago, bruce marshall said:

But, it's not getting better.

Oh, the more I watched it, the better I liked it. If you don't think it's good, then it's not for you. 

Only two series? Black Mirror? What's PKD? 

18 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Oh, the more I watched it, the better I liked it. If you don't think it's good, then it's not for you. 

Only two series? Black Mirror? What's PKD? 

PHILIP K. DICK...

Amazon show.

Very good!

You mean Electric Dreams? I think I saw one episode of that show during the first week I had Prime. Did it have to do something with time travel or travelling between dimensions?  

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I see you!

Which episode has the best score?

Off the top of my head...

" PLANET" " AUTOFAC"

Mcreary was not on my radar but this show, and KOTM have me paying attention!

Watched the new Dracula (mini-)series from BBC on Netflix. It was absolute rubbish...but I was really entertained by it. Some of it was quite good, some of it was insufferable. Sometimes a healthy dose of schlock is exactly what you need. It cheered me up, it did.

Karol

9 hours ago, crocodile said:

Watched the new Dracula (mini-)series from BBC on Netflix. It was absolute rubbish...but I was really entertained by it. Some of it was quite good, some of it was insufferable. Sometimes a healthy dose of schlock is exactly what you need. It cheered me up, it did.

Karol

Any ffn ( female)?😝

So for those who have seen it, is Netflix's Dark worth checking out? I remember people talking about a decent first season, but does it get really good after? @Quintus?

I'm on episode five and there's a big intrigue about the central plot MacGuffin, but there's loads of stuff about this series which I find seriously irritating. I'm halfway through though so I'm going to stick it out to the end in the hope the payoff is worth the trudge. According to Reddit it very much is, but it's going to take something special to get me fully back on side now. I'll report back once I get there.

Sorry for the vague response, I'm in bed and about to go to sleep.

Now THAT is a show with a bad score! I only saw 1 and a half episode but decided it wasn't for me. It's Germany's Stranger Things. Probably nice if you're 12-14.

6 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Thor loved it.

Psst! Thor loves (almost) everything.

10 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Now THAT is a show with a bad score! I only saw 1 and a half episode but decided it wasn't for me. It's Germany's Stranger Things. Probably nice if you're 12-14.

Hmmm. This is what I was worried about.

Oh well. Guess I'll just wait till the next new thing.

29 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Psst! Thor loves (almost) everything.

Only things I hate😝

He insists there is nothing in common with ST!

8 hours ago, KK said:

So for those who have seen it, is Netflix's Dark worth checking out? I remember people talking about a decent first season, but does it get really good after?

I only made it through the first three episodes and couldn't stand all the morose-looking people in darkened locations. Shymalayan on steroids, but without JNH this kind of stuff is even less fun.

17 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

He insists there is nothing in common with ST!

While it's probably not exactly the same, there are the familiar ingredients: Little town, bunch of teens, dark mystery, vintage throwback ('80s), ... Of course, it feels like a European TV series while ST is very American. I would certainly recommend Dark to anyone who loves Stranger Things and who is hungry for more. 

16 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Only things I hate😝

To be fair he agrees with me about TALES FROM THE LOOP- the music is dreary, unoriginal and inappropriate!

I love you Thor!

3 minutes ago, publicist said:

I only made it through the first three episodes and couldn't stand all the morose-looking people in darkened locations. Shymalayan on steroids, but without JNH this kind of stuff is even less fun.

Not to mention lots of gratuitous sex.

3 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

While it's probably not exactly the same, there are the familiar ingredients: Little town, bunch of teens, dark mystery, vintage throwback ('80s), ... Of course, it feels like a European TV series while ST is very American. I would certainly recommend Dark to anyone who loves Stranger Things and who is hungry for more. 

Season 3 of ST was pretty lame😔

Just now, bruce marshall said:

To be fair he agrees with me about TALES FROM THE LOOP- the music is dreary, unoriginal and inappropriate!

I love you Thor!

A typical reaction for those who deem it a Black Mirror clone.

Well, the music is hardly original in Tales from the Loop. But it fits fine, as any generic Glass-esque ostinati would for this kind of fare.

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

Why are you so obsessed with Thor?

It goes back to FSM ( e was second to me with the most ignore lists)

He's an academic and I hate academic treatments of the arts

But, I appreciated his open minded attitude to new approaches to scoring.

I. was often his lone defender and ally against the Zimmer haters and the neocons.

We also both love Spielberg

So, when he praises junk, I feel I must disapprove. Like an older and wiser brother.

But, he's a cool guy

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

A typical reaction for those who deem it a Black Mirror clone.

You like the MUSIC?!😳

58 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

He's anti-Thor. If they ever meet, they'll annihilate.

WE DID MEET!

Predictions of doom were unwarranted!

4 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

You like the MUSIC?!😳

I don't recall, except that it predominantly featured a neoclassical piano piece, which seem to be the latest trend these days. I wasn't bothered by it.

10 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I don't recall, except that it predominantly featured a neoclassical piano piece, which seem to be the latest trend these days. I wasn't bothered by it.

That's about the highest compliment one can give music these days.

11 minutes ago, KK said:

Well, the music is hardly original in Tales from the Loop. But it fits fine, as any generic Glass-esque ostinati would for this kind of fare.

Indeed, it's kinda trendy to compose like that these days, is it not?

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

That about the highest compliment one can give music these days.

Well, the score in Dark, with it's artificial string bends, very quickly bothered me. It amateurishly tells us: Hey, this is dark and mysterious!

The music for LOOP is like a parody of Glass- only its actually him.

or

Richter , doing his worst imitation.

Dreadful. Worse, it is plastered over every scene so is often inappropriately spotted; one mood fits all.

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

That's just how it is in this alternative 70s.

I wondered about the time frame.

Do they actually say it's 70s?

Or , just give little hints like the theater marquee and the technology?

There has been some very good tv music the past year or two.

BABYLON BERLIN was excellent and original. WESTWORLD channeled Vangelis without being parody.

As previously mentioned PKD had various, well composed eps.

The best thing about The new season of HOMECOM8NG was the ORIGINAL score

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I haven't watched it.

You Bastard!😡😠😵

28 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

There has been some very good tv music the past year or two.

BABYLON BERLIN was excellent and original. WESTWORLD channeled Vangelis without being parody.

As previously mentioned PKD had various, well composed eps.

You Bastard!😡😠😵

You diseased maniac!

48 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

I'm watching Homecoming S1 and I like what I'm hearing. Stylistically, it's kinda all over the place, though. There are some very '60s Herrmannesque bits, at other times there are orchestrations that remind me of the early '70s, two Vangelis tracks, one Alan Parsons Project track (from I, Robot), ... And while I'm enjoying the music the most, to my son's ears, it all sounds very old school. I don't know who or what is responsible for the music but I have a feeling it's all needle dropping.

1 hour ago, bruce marshall said:

or

Dreadful. Worse, it is plastered over every scene so is often inappropriately spotted; one mood fits all.

I like that neutrality. It's just like turning a page in a diary. A new day in the town of the Loop.

I like Max Richter's music in My Brilliant Friend as well. I'm getting old and I can do without the overt bombast you folks seem to revere so much.;)

13 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I'm watching Homecoming S1 and I like what I'm hearing. Stylistically, it's kinda all over the place, though. There are some very '60s Herrmannesque bits, at other times there are orchestrations that remind me of the early '70s, two Vangelis tracks, one Alan Parsons Project track (from I, Robot), ... And while I'm enjoying the music the most, to my son's ears, it all sounds very old school. I don't know who or what is responsible for the music but I have a feeling it's all needle dropping.

It's indeed all needle-dropping. Esmail was keen on only using pre-existing music, with a clear old school sound. Getting the rights to all that music ended up being just as expensive, if not more than getting an original score made. To his credit, it definitely lends to Homecoming's distinct sound.

The second season got an original score though. I like it, though I heard the season itself isn't much good.

59 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

or

Richter didn't do the score. At least he'd have more of a personality than that. The score is credited to both Glass and Paul Leonard-Morgan. Though my impression is that both of them had a few sessions together, Glass played a few of his all-too-familiar riffs and Leonard-Morgan extrapolated and arranged that around into the full score. It's all terribly empty.

3 hours ago, KK said:

It has to be better than the music in Dark. It'll sound like hyperbole, but I honestly don't think I've known worse scoring and spotting work in anything I've ever seen. The music (and songs) are beyond annoying and I actually can't believe nobody on the production crew noticed.

16 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

As I mentioned earlier, I didn't get very far on my first attempt and have yet to motivate myself for a second one. The very slow pacing, "empty" feeling, and overall "Germanness" (especially for an Austrian, I suppose) didn't make it easy. But one thing it wasn't like at all, neither in a good nor in a bad way, is Stranger Things.

8 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

As I mentioned earlier, I didn't get very far on my first attempt and have yet to motivate myself for a second one. The very slow pacing, "empty" feeling, and overall "Germanness" (especially for an Austrian, I suppose) didn't make it easy. But one thing it wasn't like at all, neither in a good nor in a bad way, is Stranger Things.

Heck, even the creators of Dark see the similarities (which they say goes back to having the same age and loving the same things), but they say their show was already in production before Stranger Things was released, AND, they claim their show is darker, more creepy (which, in my book, isn't much of an argument).

I'm continuing my painful trek thru LOOP.

I skipped the ep with the description containing the words," teenage girl" and " romance"😊😁

The ep with the male lovers in two dimensions was so pr3dictable I ff thru much of it.

I will settle for one outstanding ep at this point😒

On 7/16/2020 at 9:28 AM, KK said:

It's indeed all needle-dropping. Esmail was keen on only using pre-existing music, with a clear old school sound. Getting the rights to all that music ended up being just as expensive, if not more than getting an original score made. To his credit, it definitely lends to Homecoming's distinct sound.

I couldn't take more than one episode but didn't really notice it. What I *did* notice was the excellent Herrmann (Psycho) tracking in the first season of American Horror Story. It worked wickedly good, but lo and behold, they abandoned it after the first episodes.

Homecoming S1 Episode 9

“Body Heat,” composer John Barry
“Dove Siete? Io Sono Qui,” composer Pino Donaggio
“Raising Cain,” composer Pino Donaggio
“Legend,” composer Tangerine Dream
“Oblivion,” composer Anthony Gonzalez & Joseph Trapanese
“All The President’s Men,” composer Michael Small
“The Eiger Sanction,” composer John Williams

The first (and only?) time John Williams is used in the show.

23 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

I'm continuing my painful trek thru LOOP.

I skipped the ep with the description containing the words," teenage girl" and " romance"😊😁

The ep with the male lovers in two dimensions was so pr3dictable I ff thru much of it.

I will settle for one outstanding ep at this point😒

The penultimate ep was good!

Btw the 4k UHD stream8ng looks amazing!

What is this needle dropping? Is it when a song or music track is placed over the original soundtrack, I take it?

That shit has to be earned to work in seamlessly.

It's like source music, only that it isn't as obviously source-y (like a song). I know that the Thors of the world will sing the praises for this kind of artistic development (=directors plastering their favorite stuff over the sound track without any regard to a unified whole) but it's downright shoddy as narrative device.

Yeah, did you notice Dark using it as a per episode gimmick? Near the end of each episode there's an insufferable character montage with some desperately cringy europop track ruminating over the top of the it. It's absolutely dreadful.

Blame it on musical illiteracy. I know firsthand that here in Germany, you get only hired by Amazon Prime's film & tv division if you have no clue about music beyond the pop & retro stuff from your formative years. We all live in our filter bubbles, but at least in the 80's you could count on people at least knowing the basic repertoire or even being fleetingly able to classify Mozart and Wagner as being not part of the same history timeline. Not so today, i'm afraid. 

I think it's the best thing of the show (next to the visual craft) and I'm know here as the anti-Thor. The thing that disappoints me more is the writing. It's just passable.

Still, it's a hodgepodge. And i'm pointing to the ideology behind it which bothers me. Not even mentioning that it refuses new and fresh composers to try their hand at it.

Watched the first season of Fleabag. At first, it was really annoying me. But it gets better after. Not sure if it's a high watermark in television history but there's good stuff in it.

Karol

46 minutes ago, publicist said:

Still, it's a hodgepodge. And i'm pointing to the ideology behind it which bothers me. Not even mentioning that it refuses new and fresh composers to try their hand at it.

You could say the same about 2001: ASO.  IMO, it's really well done and in a consequent manner. An original score would just be ... another score. 

34 minutes ago, crocodile said:

it was really annoying me.

Same for me. I thought she was really off-putting (in ways I've rarely experienced before). Watching a whole season didn't sound like an option for me.