What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

I think everyone struggles with Fleabag at first, because it is simply in a bloke's instincts to find a woman like that extremely annoying. But then after you give her a chance, and once you really get to know her, you can't help but warm to the character and find her disposition fascinating. Her chronic depression and suppressed vulnerability endeared me to her, made me want to see her get better. The show gets stronger and stronger, with the second series adding vital character support. Throughout, the irreverent humour keeps it light and at times, absolutely hilarious.

One of the best shows I saw last year.

24 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

You could say the same about 2001: ASO.  IMO, it's really well done and in a consequent manner. An original score would just be ... another score. 

Another needle drop is also just...another needle drop, regardless of how much AC labels it 'consequent'. Also it doesn't help that you compulsively bring up one 50 year old movie as if that somehow magically validates everything you say.  

26 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Was it a comedy though?

Sure. The artform has moved on from the Three's a Crowd variety.

I recently watched CW’s Crisis In Infinite Earths. Just to be clear, I don’t think any of the shows that make up the DCTV are particularly good... Enjoyable, maybe, if that is what you like, but I never managed to get in to any of them. (No need to get into the details why, I don’t want to bash it, that’s not what this post is about, I’m actually glad it exits and seems to be doing well). In short, I guess I’m 20 years too old to be in the target group.

But with Keaton maybe being brought back for the new HBO show, I remembered I wanted to check out Routh’s cameo here.

And it is AWESOME! Somebody get this man back in the red-and-blue suit on a regular basis! He channels the same core of honesty, integrity and inner strength as Reeve did. But this Superman is older, wiser, less naive, perhaps a bit more curt. I don’t want to say darker, that’s not what I get from it even though that word has been thrown around, but this Superman surely has been through some hard times. The suit looks great as well and Routh seems to have buffed up since Returns.

The script had a few nods to the Donner-verse that made me smile... and it is great to hear them accompanied by JW’s famous notes. ☺️

Also, I had forgotten that both Tom Wellington and Ezra Miller make a cameo, which are both great.

Say what you will about the special (and the shows in general)... to me, it’s all a bit of an embarrassing mess, but that trio of cameos, especially Routh as Superman, and the (oh, too few!) sprinkles of JW Superman themes, easily made it fun to watch.

There are more blink-and-you’ll-miss-them cameos from actors, comicbook storylines and musical easter eggs which adds to the fun.

At the end of the special, when Routh does the fly by over earth and JWs fanfare plays triumphantly - as all good Superman stories should end - you can’t help but smile! 😊

I guess it’s clear what I enjoyed the most out of these 5 episodes: Bring back Routh!

BC5E5419-260B-4711-8D7B-5BA4A40BE011.jpeg

3 hours ago, publicist said:

Another needle drop is also just...another needle drop, 

I know of only one TV show that does this kind of approach. We're talking about reusing pre-existing scores and making them fit to different images, not just adding a hit song in the background. In fact, it was so expensive and time consuming (to clear all the licences, union issues, ...) that they decided to do an original score for its second season, a season that wasn't received very well. I guess composing an original score didn't help after all. And since I thought this was actually the show's strong point, I know that I gonna miss it. No amount of publicist disapproval is going to change that. 

3 hours ago, crocodile said:

Was it a comedy though?

Ouch!

3 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I know of only one TV show that does this kind of approach. We're talking about reusing pre-existing scores and making them fit to different images, not just adding a hit song in the background. In fact, it was so expensive and time consuming (to clear all the licences, union issues, ...) that they decided to do an original score for its second season

As I said, American Horror Story did it too, as did loads of other shows, if only on occasion. And from what I saw of the show, the odd Donaggio piece here or there was not all that different from the sophisticated use of songs that started with the Sopranos. It's basically not different at all, as the music - like any source song - clearly wasn't written for the show (which you can hear by the idiom as well as the recording itself).

1 hour ago, publicist said:

It's basically not different at all, as the music - like any source song - clearly wasn't written for the show 

But it is different, since the music often followed the action on screen, not so with hit songs that rarely have an evolving narrative. 

Isn't that something that editors do since ages, taking a temp track - song, classical piece, score - and fashioning a scene based on it? (rhythm, mood etc.)

Well I finished the second season of Fleabag and really liked it. Definitely stronger of the two. This felt like an ending to me. Is there going to be more?

Karol

3 hours ago, publicist said:

Isn't that something that editors do since ages, taking a temp track - song, classical piece, score - and fashioning a scene based on it? (rhythm, mood etc.)

It is, but when you are referring to 'songs', then it's a different situation. 'Songs' don't have to match the action at all. Songs don't work in the same way film music does. Unlike film music, 'songs' aren't written to synchronise certain scenes or highlight an emotion. It's a different dynamic altogether. Songs are usually meant to stand out and be noticed, and in Scorsese's case, often to juxtapose the action/emotion seen on screen.  

If the music fits the mood and follows the action on screen, then how is it clearly not written for the show? For example, my son isn't a soundtrack nerd, he didn't realise it was all pre-existing music. I had to tell him. Most of the tension music used in S2 comes from paranoia/conspiracy themed films of the '70s and for the softer, more intimate moments between Heidi and Walter, Esmail used '70s Vangelis tracks, so it's not like there's no musical unity either. It's not as careless, lazy, random and unfitting as you make it out to be. Far from it, actually.

The composer of S2 has to be something more than a genius if he wants to write better music than Esmail's pickings for S1. 

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

Well I finished the second season of Fleabag and really liked it. Definitely stronger of the two. This felt like an ending to me. Is there going to be more?

I don't think there is. Andrew Scott was a highlight in S2.

She's been quite adamant about S2 being the finale. Andrew "Hot Priest" Scott was indeed a big highlight.

4 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

The composer of S2 has to be something more than a genius if he wants to write better music than Esmail's pickings for S1. 

It's not better, but it has a personality of its own. I haven't actually seen the second season though.

On 7/20/2020 at 1:37 AM, KK said:

It's not better, but it has a personality of its own. I haven't actually seen the second season though.

I've watched the first episode of the second season last night and it feels as if the creative force, whoever it is, has left the project. Gone are the stylish sets and visuals. Gone is striking reuse of forgotten musical gems of the '70s. Everything feels quite ordinary now. Without the audiovisual craft elevating the show to a higher level, we're left with only the 'passable' writing.

13 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

If the music fits the mood and follows the action on screen, then how is it clearly not written for the show?

Ahemmm..because it wasn't? I spotted the incongruence right away and going by this listing, it's even more of a wild hodgepodge than i thought. Your reaction notwithstanding, it's hard to make a case for a well-chosen musical approach (as in: helping to create a unified narrative), even if Joe Schmoe isn't going to notice that he's getting Capricorn One mixed in with Marathon Man and Dressed to Kill.

Finished the LOOP with the aid of the ff button.

90 percent of the show is people walking around...staring into space..

awkwardly pausing while speaking...

going into the forest..going to the lake...starinng into space...walking around.

All to the accompanying boring, repetitive and poorly spotted score.

Even Thor didn't like this Turkey-😝😁

B-but, it's a transportive audiovisual feast. That's all that matters! The poetry in the images transcends and supersedes all other components. You just don't have the vision to see it. The all seeing eye!

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

B-but, it's a transportive audiovisual feast. That's all that matters! The poetry in the images transcends and supersedes all other components. You just don't have the vision to see it. The all seeing eye!

I know.

I'm not worthy.😰

8 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Finished the LOOP with the aid of the ff button.

90 percent of the show is people walking around...staring into space..

awkwardly pausing while speaking...

going into the forest..going to the lake...starinng into space...walking around.

All to the accompanying boring, repetitive and poorly spotted score.

Even Thor didn't like this Turkey-😝😁

To be honest, this does come across as if you didn't understand it and that you need lots of dialog and exposition to get into a character's head. And even then you probably wouldn't like it because people who use the FF button are more interested in 'spectacular' events which they can retell the next day in a pub to a friend than they are into characters, atmosphere and emotions you have to sense (and are therefore much harder to convey to the half-drunk blokes in the pub). 

6 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

To be honest, this does come across as if you didn't understand it and that you need lots of dialog and exposition to get into a character's head. And even then you probably wouldn't like it because people who use the FF button are more interested in 'spectacular' events which they can retell the next day in a pub to a friend than they are in characters, atmosphere and emotions you have to sense (and are therefore much harder to convey to the half-drunk blokes in the pub). 

Boy. You sure got me pegged!

You know me better than I know myself!

Screenshot_2020-06-19-21-17-26~3.png

14 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

You know me better than I know myself!

And I didn't even need your Top 10 TV series to know you. ;)

Neither was season 2.  Talking about taking an interesting concept and ruining it

PERRY MASON tonite.

I'm digging it, much to my surprise.

Remember, it has nothing to do with the original character as portrayed in books and tv.

On 7/25/2020 at 9:38 AM, Marian Schedenig said:

Well, one is Danish while the other is Scottish.

Viggo and Sean would work!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got through all 10 episodes of Dark S1. It's mildly annoying that I initially found the main premise and macguffin as intriguing as I did, because it made me invest time and effort into what became an arduous slog by the halfway point of the show. This is probably the most insufferably emo sci-fi I've ever endured, and I frankly can't imagine how anyone over the age of say, 30, could stomach it. Time travel is a major element of the plot, but I regret that I'll never be able to go back in time myself and get those 10 hours back.

Special mention to the score, which is honest to god the worst I've ever heard. Which of course means Reddit thinks it's absolutely incredible and revolutionary. Even user reviews on metacritic call this show the greatest of all time. But who's right, them or me? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Ah, so skip it then. My curiosity was piqued because the internet seemed to think the third season is one of TV's finest, and I presumed it's a show that only finds its footing in its sophomore run.

But doesn't sound like its worth the pain. Thanks Lee.

Well, maybe try for yourself. You might get into it better than I did. Then again, there's so much else to watch instead isn't there.

A quick test would be this: where do you align with Thor on matters of film and TV? Because I heard he loved Dark.

On 7/15/2020 at 3:43 PM, bruce marshall said:

To: Quintus

Thor loved it.

I hated it( and was wise enough to quit early)

Do you really want to stay to the bitter end?😗

Well , in that case

You gets what you deserved😠

MV5BNTEzNDY2MzEtMzY2MC00ZTdlLWE5ZDEtZTVl

Tracy Morgan is an ex-con who is released from prison for good behavior after serving fifteen years. He returns to his old Brooklyn neighborhood to find that it has become gentrified. Morgan makes for a immensely watchable protagonist, surrounded by a family lost and a bunch of former bros, and he's incredulous at the fact that the neighborhood in which he once dealt crack has been overrun by white folks with selfie-sticks and wood-paneled coffeeshops boasting five-dollar espressos. It's not brilliant, but rather good, really.

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Indeed confusing.

It's a clear choice between a pointy headed intellectual who liv3s in darkness 9 months out of the year

AND

A loud mouth obnoxious Jew who lives in sunny California!

😆

7 minutes ago, publicist said:

MV5BNTEzNDY2MzEtMzY2MC00ZTdlLWE5ZDEtZTVl

Tracy Morgan is an ex-con who is released from prison for good behavior after serving fifteen years. He returns to his old Brooklyn neighborhood to find that it has become gentrified. Morgan makes for a immensely watchable protagonist, surrounded by a family lost and a bunch of former bros, and he's incredulous at the fact that the neighborhood in which he once dealt crack has been overrun by white folks with selfie-sticks and wood-paneled coffeeshops boasting five-dollar espressos. It's not brilliant, but rather good, really.

Is it funny?