What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Yea I feel the opposite; Alara was a fun character with a cool personality and interesting background.  Talla is just kinda there and does the security thing and that's about it. Maybe they'll invent some cool backstory for her in season 3

When Alara showed up again in that parallel world finale in Season 2 it really highlighted for me how much better and endearing she is that Talla

Definitely not the most talented actor around, sure, but the writing they gave her made up for it IMO

Jessica Szohr isn't a great actor either but MacFarlane and her used to date so maybe that played a factor into her casting

Nah

Well, the first season's pretty good if a bit goofy at times. After that, it just goes off the rails, abandons any thoughts of realism, and just becomes the will they won't they get together and look how pretty Jodie Comer is this week show 

21 hours ago, AC1 said:

The Exorcist (pilot for S1)

The_Exorcist_TV_series_logo.png

I thought this was going to be really bad but it's actually the opposite. I hope it stays good.

Season 1 is overall rather strong, but Season 2 is... wellllll, it gets ahead of itself.

Barry - Season 2, Episode 5

And with that, Barry's finally managed to reach Atlanta territory of artful comedy. That was fucking hilarious. What a great season!

We finished Schitt's Creek on the weekend, just in time to see them sweep the Emmy's. A lovely show and talented cast. Catherine O'Hara's Moira will go down as one of the greatest characters of the medium.

I've also started a rewatch of Fringe. Man that was a good show. It's also made me miss the sheer volume of episodes that you'd see in genre TV. I'm sure it was hell to work on, and the writing fluctuates very often, but I love how much it gives the characters and storylines time and space to breathe. I'm starting to tire of condensed serial storytelling, which is something I thought I'd never say. On my first watch through the show I couldn't wait to get to the "arc" episodes, but now I find myself enjoying each episode on its own merits. 

9 hours ago, KK said:

And with that, Barry's finally managed to reach Atlanta territory of artful comedy. That was fucking hilarious. What a great season!

You've just reminded me this hasn't come back on yet 😥

On 9/23/2020 at 2:16 AM, KK said:

I didn't check the number, but I suppose you mean the Taekwondo family?

Better Call Saul, Chernobyl, WestWorld, Mindhunter, Succession, The Mandalorian, The Orville, Mr. Robot, Legion, Watchmen, Ozark, Fargo, Barry, Search Party, Living With Yourself, Schitt's Creek, What We Do In The Shadows, Righteous Gemstones

I would surprise me if KK would like Westworld, but everything is possible, I suppose. I'm pretty sure he watched all the Fargo seasons, Watchmen (what did you expect, it's from that Leftovers guy), Better Call Saul, Chernobyl, ...

4 hours ago, KK said:

Looking for something to watch...any suggestions?

Did you see this yet? It strikes me as being something you'd quickly get into. I did, on a whim. Bob Odenkirk plays a key character. It's also short and sweet. 

Maybe it was news to you? You couldn't believe this actually happened? It made you angry and aware of the dangers? It made you order one of these badges?

Smiling_Sun_English_Language.svg.png

What is it?! Tell me!

I thought the disaster at the nuclear site itself was extremely well done and demonstrated for the first time what an impossible nightmare it must have been.  But after that, the cover-up, the Russian bureaucracy, the investigations, the trials, ... that brought us back to familiar territory and wasn't so amazing, IMO. But, who knows, maybe the show became just too popular for me to like it. 

7 hours ago, AC1 said:

I would surprise me if KK would like Westworld, but everything is possible, I suppose. I'm pretty sure he watched all the Fargo seasons, Watchmen (what did you expect, it's from that Leftovers guy), Better Call Saul, Chernobyl, ...

Yup. Also seen Mr. Robot, Schitt’s Creek, Sucession, Mindhunter, Barry and Legion. I stopped watching Westworld after the first season. I was mostly in it for Anthony Hopkins anyway. Had no real interest otherwise.

6 hours ago, Quintus said:

Did you see this yet? It strikes me as being something you'd quickly get into. I did, on a whim. Bob Odenkirk plays a key character. It's also short and sweet. 

I haven’t. But Wikipedia tells me it’s by the same creator of Bojack Horseman, which is absolutely brilliant. I might check this out.

11 hours ago, Jay said:

Better Call Saul, Chernobyl, WestWorld, Mindhunter, Succession, The Mandalorian, The Orville, Mr. Robot, Legion, Watchmen, Ozark, Fargo, Barry, Search Party, Living With Yourself, Schitt's Creek, What We Do In The Shadows, Righteous Gemstones

8 hours ago, AC1 said:

I'm pretty sure he watched all the Fargo seasons, Watchmen (what did you expect, it's from that Leftovers guy), Better Call Saul, Chernobyl, ...

1 hour ago, KK said:

Yup. Also seen Mr. Robot, Schitt’s Creek, Sucession, Mindhunter, Barry and Legion. 

OK, then I recommend The Mandalorian, The Orville, Ozark, Search Party, Living With Yourself, What We Do In The Shadows, and The Righteous Gemstones :p

Maybe Ozark. Or the last three, which I don’t recognize. I’m also looking for a good comedy. Thanks Jay.

I honestly don’t have the bandwidth for any more Star Wars/superhero stuff in TV form. So Mandalorian is probably a pass for now.

The Good Fight. The way they combine traditional courtroom drama with biting political satire (both left and right and of course DT get theirs), micro-dosing and even a bit of Monty-Pythonesque cartoons sprinkled in is commendable. Definitely one of the more extravagant things i've seen in recent times - and it's Fox! 

The Mandalorian is more like a sci-fi western than a Star Wars movie, but it's definitely not for everyone

Ozark is like Breaking Bad on steroids.  The amount of plot that would happen across an entire show takes place every season, each episode changes the stakes for everyone.  It becomes a goofy thrill ride where you can't take anything seriously, but what happens is still fun to see and the cast is great

When it comes to comedy, everyone's tastes are so different.  The ones I mentioned:

What We Do In The Shadows is the only one that's an outright comedy; It's sort of a spinoff from the movie of the same name so I'd watch the movie first, though it's not essential.  I actually didn't love the movie and took a bit to warm up to the show, but by the midway point of the first season I was loving it.  Season 2 takes the show in more wild directions, and it's been renewed for season 3

Search Party is one of the those hybrid drama/comedy shows, like Barry or Glow or Maniac or whatever.  First season is a brilliant mystery, second season is a Hitchcockian thriller, 3rd season is a courtroom saga, but what ties it all together is a strong cast, hilarious moments, and social commentary

The Righteous Gemstones is a Danny McBride show, so if you hated Eastbown and Down or Vice Principals it might not be for you, but at least this time he's surrounded by John Goodman, Walton Goggins, Adam Devine, Edi Patterson, and Skyler Gisondo and it's really more of an ensemble than "the Danny McBride show 3" (thankfully).  The story is actually well thought out and interesting

Living With Myself is a short little drama/comedy hybrid with a fun sci-fi premise.  Supposedly it's been renewed for a second season but I'd be fine if this was all there was.

However, if you want just pure comedy, no real drama or anything, just turn your brain off and laugh, then I highly recommend Bajillion Dollar Properties / The Hotwives, and Burning Love.... super funny with the best comedians around popping in every week

11 minutes ago, Quintus said:

The only reason it drew my attention was because there was a lot of Bernard Herrmann blaring out of it for some reason. 

Very ' original'.

The producers are patting themselves on the back for being so ' hip'

22 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

I don’t like it. Feels like Refn. 

Not at all. It feels like a combination of American Horror Story and Hollywood (TV series). 

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

Not at all. It feels like a combination of American Horror Story and Hollywood (TV series). 

The latter was truly insufferable, so this is not a promising description at all.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

From what I've seen so far, I believe these Ryan Murphy shows aren't for me. I hated American Horror Story and couldn't get pass 6 episodes in Glee.

I liked Feud, with all its campy fun production values and performances. 

Don’t think I’ve watched anything else, aside from the awful Hollywood series.