What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

9 hours ago, AC1 said:

Checked out that TV-series about O.J. Simpson. 

a-people-vs-actors-oj-simpson-ss05.png

Cuba Gooding Jr is so not O.J. Talk about miscasting!

I wonder if they offered the role to a white guy, too, just for racial equality. 

Ratched Episode 5 'The Dance' is the best one so far. I was entertained. Do you agree, Bespin?

RATCHED_105_Unit_00345R.jpg

It's certainly better than Ryan Murphy's Hollywood.

Ratched Episode 6 'Got No Strings' is another good one, in my book. It feels like a modern-day Hitchcock movie. So are the critics wrong about this series? Have they been dumbed-down by Stranger Things and The Mandalorian? We'll soon know. A few more eppies to go.

the-puppet-master-ratched-s1e6.png

Watched a few of The Handmaid's Tale episodes. Wtf, I thought this was a period drama - I had no idea it is sci-fi! 

It's hard going though, I couldn't watch years of this style of filmmaking, the sustained glum and oppressive mood isn't really how I like to spend my time in front of the box in the evenings. Sometimes it all just gets a bit much, a bit boring. 

Interesting story though, if however completely unbelievable. 

So everyone raved about this at the time, right? I mean, it's alright. It certainly seems to think a lot of itself, judging by the directorial prose on display. I think it's pure hokum myself, but the central mystery and the undeniably well done world building keeps me watching, for now. 

13 minutes ago, crocodile said:

It's very repetitive and underwhelming. Apparently the end of season 1 is where the book ends.

Atwood published a sequel last year, but I don't know how closely that is related to the TV version.

I still haven't seen it (I'm waiting for a good deal on the Blu), but it seems to be pretty faithful to the novel, and based on that (and all the acclaim that's rightfully been getting over the years), it's perfectly ok if it thinks a lot of itself.

Just now, Marian Schedenig said:

Atwood published a sequel last year, but I don't know how closely that is related to the TV version.

The novel sequel (The Testaments in any case has won last year's Man Booker Prize, among others, and "Best Fiction" in the Goodreads Choice Awards, so it seems popular as well. Decidedly different from the reactions (that I've seen) the the second TV season, but I haven't yet seen anyone comment on book & series sequel so far. (I haven't yet read the book sequel either, but it's on my list)

5 hours ago, Quintus said:

the sustained glum and oppressive mood isn't really how I like to spend my time in front of the box in the evenings. Sometimes it all just gets a bit much, a bit boring. 

This is pretty much the show's undoing and becomes unbearable in the second season. That's where I stopped. First season is solid enough, mostly thanks to some decent production values and the book's premise.

Finished Ratched on Netflix (other than the name there's no connection with Cuckoo's Nest) and much to my surprise I enjoyed it. In fact, I wouldn't mind a second season. 7/10

4266370932.jpg

I also saw the first episode Of The Boys S2, and after watching Ratched, I needed to adjust to the ... well, more plain dialog. 

the-boys-season-2-karl-urban-billy-butch

Lower Decks had a great ending. Its was nice to have 10 episode of new. 

The People v O.J. Simpson: Episode 9

the-people-v-oj-simpson-american-crime-s

I think David 'Ross' Schwimmer is actually doing a really good job as O.J.'s best friend who no longer can look him straight in the eye.

Started watching The Haunting of Hill House with the family. I don't know. It has some nice moments, sure, but I feel like it never goes far enough in any direction. The horror scares are mostly pretty pedestrian (it never lives up to the pilot's promise), and the broken family trauma stuff feels like Leftovers-lite. Some of the mediocre acting, clumsy writing doesn't help either. 

Does it get better towards the end?

1 hour ago, KK said:

Started watching The Haunting of Hill House with the family. I don't know. It has some nice moments, sure, but I feel like it never goes far enough in any direction. The horror scares are mostly pretty pedestrian (it never lives up to the pilot's promise), and the broken family trauma stuff feels like Leftovers-lite. Some of the mediocre acting, clumsy writing doesn't help either. 

From where I got up to, it gets worse. I recall being quite disappointed because I thought the first episode showed promise. But I lost all interest in it around three episodes later. 

The Boys S2 E4: Meh ... but the Doppelganger scene (you know which one I'm talking about) with Homelander was funny.

THBY_S2_Unit_204_0919RC_rgb.jpg

The conversations that these two lovebirds have is downright boring.

Finished O.J. Simpson: While not particularly standout good, this TV series was so easily watchable that most episodes were over before they began. They should make a season 2.

rs-234981-The_People_v_O_J_Simpson_Ameri

8 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Finished O.J. Simpson: While not particularly standout good, this TV series was so easily watchable that most episodes were over before they began. They should make a season 2.

They did!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Crime_Story#Seasons

It was terrible

On 10/12/2020 at 3:19 AM, AC1 said:

Are we talking about the first series? Because the second series (different story) is up now. 

First series.

On 10/12/2020 at 3:38 AM, Quintus said:

From where I got up to, it gets worse. I recall being quite disappointed because I thought the first episode showed promise. But I lost all interest in it around three episodes later. 

Yea. It looks like we're going to see it through to the end. I was surprised to see its RT score in the 90s. It's such remarkably average TV...

We are done with the first two seasons of the dark, dry, and hysterical Norsemen on Netflix, but I'm sad. The third season is a prequel, and it's not being renewed for a fourth season. But my gods, this is hysterical and highly quotable. 

16 hours ago, KK said:

It’s worth it for Episode 6. 

I’m two episodes into Bly Manor. Not much to say yet. 

Rewatching MERLIN season two cuz I just got the soundtrack.

Don't really know the work I f THE TWO composers but they did a really nice job on this show. Great theme!

Btw Bradley James would probably make a good OO7.

He's blonde and much handsomer that DC!

13 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

O.J. SIMPSON? He did it. What's to watch?

He was framed by Fuhrman

On 10/12/2020 at 6:37 PM, Koray Savas said:

It’s worth it for Episode 6. 

I’m two episodes into Bly Manor. Not much to say yet. 

Ended up binging through the rest of it. It definitely gets much more entertaining in the second half. The 6th episode was cool, though I wish they were able to commit to the long take throughout the whole episode, or at least make better artistic choices on where those takes were being broken.

Overall, it was a fun watch, if you can get past some of dips in the writing and acting.

Also, for those complaining, I never once noticed a "forced diversity" thing in the first season. It was just another horror story about white people making stupid decisions.

1 hour ago, KK said:

Also, for those complaining, I never once noticed a "forced diversity" thing in the first season. It was just another horror story about white people making stupid decisions.

No one complained other than Bruce Marshall. There is no forced diversity.

I’m now 4 episodes into Bly Manor. It’s a much more subtle and slower affair than Hill House. Feels more like one long film, as opposed to an episodic narrative. Not much has yet to happen nearly half way through, and while the atmosphere and tension are nice, I hope there’s a satisfying conclusion to all the build-up.