What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

My wife's watching Bly Manor. Omg Elliott's emulation of an upper crust English accent is incredibly distracting in the background!

Oh the accents are all over the place...it took us over half the season to get used to.

22 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Does YouTube not embed anymore?

22 hours ago, Jay said:

It absolutely does

It doesn't if they're not plain text. Which can be annoying if you copy them from some other application that has already auto-styled them as links.

59 minutes ago, Jay said:

Just hit shift-ctrl-v instead of ctrl-v

Good to know! Easier than having to wait for the "Paste as plain text instead" popup, especially if it's off screen.

I never said that particular post was intended to be an embed. I said the board still embeds YouTube videos if you want it to. 

It's incredibly boring and the soundtrack is bollocks, the way it is used I mean. But there's regular BS throughout, in the writing and the many amateurish contrivances of the plot. But I'm invested now so I'll just get on an finish it. Maybe it'll pay off towards the end. 

Since finishing a Seinfeld rerun, my girlfriend and I needed to start another light-hearted show to watch every other day or so.

Decided to start a rerun of Scrubs and listen through Zach and Donald’s podcast breaking down each episode concurrently. One of my favorite shows!

thecomeyrule_01_ox__W660xh0.jpg

Well-meaning but a bit daft. The Comey Rule is a political drama television miniseries, based on a book by former FBI director James Comey and stars Jeff Daniels as Comey and Brendan Gleeson as President Trump. The actors are first rate (Gleeson does a more than credible job and probably will get hate mail now), but it portrays political machinations in Washington in a rather naive way. By making Comey the kind of upright moralist hero that was once called Jack Ryan and inevitably played by Harrison Ford, the whole narrative suggests Trump is the cause, not just a symptom of the political and societal crisis raging in the United States. Which seems just wrong in the year 2020, kind of like watching one of those Spielberg movies of late.

18 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Weddings are overrated!

As  a gay man who spent most of my life never expecting to have the option I must say mine was quite an emotional event.

We are binge-watching Mr. Mercedes. 

10 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

As  a gay man who spent most of my life never expecting to have the option I must say mine was quite an emotional event.

I’m happy you had that option, Joe. Everyone should have the right to marry, if they wish to do so. 

On 11/7/2020 at 12:22 AM, Koray Savas said:

Weddings are overrated!

A wedding is just one (optional) part of a marriage commitment 

Started The Queen's Gambit. So far, so good. One thing I noticed was the prominence of the score, it's not another RCP clone, but it does feature a bit more range than your typical drama score. Anya Taylor-Joy is also great, I think she's got this transfixing stare that almost seems hypnotic.

518836e0-efe9-4dad-b125-94977e485dcb-the-queens-gambit.jpg

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

Started The Queen's Gambit. So far, so good. One thing I noticed was the prominence of the score, it's not another RCP clone, but it does feature a bit more range than your typical drama score. Anya Taylor-Joy is also great, I think she's got this transfixing stare that almost seems hypnotic.

518836e0-efe9-4dad-b125-94977e485dcb-the-queens-gambit.jpg

I'm watching that too. It's nice (especially compared to Ridley Scott's Raised By Wolves, which I'm also watching). What's an RCP clone? To me it sounds like an Alexandre Desplat score.

Yes, Anya Talor-Joy is very good in this.  The world no longer needs Chloë Grace Moretz.

On 11/8/2020 at 11:16 AM, AC1 said:

I'm watching that too. It's nice (especially compared to Ridley Scott's Raised By Wolves, which I'm also watching). What's an RCP clone? To me it sounds like an Alexandre Desplat score.

Yes, Anya Talor-Joy is very good in this.  The world no longer needs Chloë Grace Moretz.

Watched the first episode. Was bored.

4 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

When did it ever need her?

Wasn't she that upcoming-young-actress-with-an-unusual-face before Taylor-Joy? Where is Moretz now? Exactly! She's been replaced! 

2 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Wasn't she that upcoming-young-actress-with-an-unusual-face before Taylor-Joy? Where is Moretz now? Exactly! She's been replaced! 

She has 6 upcoming films in development and has consistently acted since her career blew up with Kick Ass. 

6 minutes ago, AC1 said:

There's a new "it-girl" with a hyphenated name every few years I suppose.

1 minute ago, Koray Savas said:

She has 6 upcoming films in development and has consistently acted since her career blew up with Kick Ass. 

I guess some still refuse to concede to the new kid in town.

Screen-Shot-2020-11-03-at-5-12-41-PM.png

We Are Who We Are

What insufferable dreck. Guadagnino seems to think the solution to drab scenes of nothingness is to play it in slow motion and blast any John Adams piece lying around in the back that he hasn't already used in his work (between 8 episodes, I think nearly his entirely discography is quoted here). But when your show is filled with empty cardboard characters that are just stand-ins for overly familiar tropes on sexuality and identity...it's hard to buy any of it. We Are Who We Are takes place in some magical fantasy land military base in Italy, where all the kids are fluent in both English and Italian, recite poetry during the day, get drunk and have sex at millionaires' homes at night...

As a celebration of wild adolescence, it works only in moments (namely the last two episodes) and only because of Guadagnino's eye for framing. The characters are unlikeable, the show's politics are as subtle as a brick (cringey clips of the Trump v Clinton election play quite loudly whenever a TV is conveniently present in the frame) and its narrative arc mostly goes nowhere. Cut out 6 hours and there's probably a solid movie in here somewhere. It's a shame, because I like the finale conceptually, even if it's entirely unearned. But as it is now, much ado about nothing.

Dev Hynes' score is quite good though.

Finished Mr. Mercedes season 2. Season 3 will drop on Peacock soon. The first two seasons taken from book 1 and 3. Season 3 will be based on book 2 Finders Keepers. 

Watched a few more episodes of that. It's disappointingly vanilla...why are people so drawn to such average things these days?

3 hours ago, Arpy said:

@AC1 I haven't bothered to watch Raised by Wolves, it seemed like more depressing, grim, dank Alien stuff. Was there anything salvageable?

It doesn't have anything to do with Alien but more with androids and kids. It was actually okay at first but it really got unbelievably bad towards the end. It's almost as if Ridley Scott deliberately wants TV to be inferior to movies. I haven't seen such poor acting in a very long time, if ever. And the story really gets laughably ridiculous too. Compared to this, it was a joy to watch The Queen's Gambit, which I watched during the same period. It saved my faith in TV.

THE CROWN - SEASON 4

Up to episode 7 and I’m thoroughly enjoying this... the best season yet IMO. Lavish as ever, and the unknown who plays Diana does a stellar job. I do like Anderson’s Thatcher too, though I know it’s divided people.

@AC1 I believe Scott only directed the first two episodes but was EP for the rest of the series. I knew it wasn't related to Alien, but it looked just as unrelentingly dark. I might give it a watch after I finish Gambit.

On 11/16/2020 at 7:46 AM, LSH said:

THE CROWN - SEASON 4

Up to episode 7 and I’m thoroughly enjoying this... the best season yet IMO. Lavish as ever, and the unknown who plays Diana does a stellar job. I do like Anderson’s Thatcher too, though I know it’s divided people.

I watched episode 2 yesterday (the one with the deer) and it's one of the finest hours on TV this year. 

On 11/15/2020 at 2:19 PM, KK said:

Watched a few more episodes of that. It's disappointingly vanilla...why are people so drawn to such average things these days?

Because tv is all we have at the moment. Nothing cinematic about tv, its banal.

Everthing today is fast shoots, stay with budget, rarely self contained, work that story arc. Keep a sequel or follow-up in mind.

Two episodes into season 2 of The Mandalorian. How dafuq did they somehow make this look more visually impressive than a full-blown 250mil theatrical picture? 

This is simple escapist magic, distilled and served up as the ideal antidote to bored pandemic lockdown. Lighting in a bottle.