What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

"Animaniacs" (Hulu revival)

While it may look and sound like the original, thanks to the original voice actors returning (as well as composers Steven and Julie Bernstein) -- it feels hollow and mean-spirited. There are moments where it regains a glimmer of what made the original fun for all ages -- there's a Batman v. Superman dig that made me laugh.

But without creator Tom Ruegger or any of the original writers on board, the story never feels quite right. Most of the segments are devoted to the Warners and Pinky & the Brain -- but if you're a fan of Slappy Squirrel, Good Idea/Bad Idea, the two hippos, Goodfeathers or Minerva Mink -- you're out of luck. They appear in a non-speaking cameo in ONE episode.

I saw BCS and What We Do In the Shadows.  Both were great, though WWDITS season 1 was better than season 2

I'm only watching Fargo 2 and Mandalorian at the moment. One is enormously more entertaining than the other, although my misgivings about the other have been alleviated somewhat as it nears its end. 

We are talking about the ten shows listed in the article Edmillson linked to, not all 2020 TV in general

If we expand the scope to all TV of 2020, I've certainly seen more than just BCS 5 and WWDITS 2

5 hours ago, The Big Man said:

Anyone else watching the new Crown?

On 11/16/2020 at 1:46 AM, LSH said:

THE CROWN - SEASON 4

Up to episode 7 and I’m thoroughly enjoying this... the best season yet IMO. Lavish as ever, and the unknown who plays Diana does a stellar job. I do like Anderson’s Thatcher too, though I know it’s divided people.

On 11/17/2020 at 3:54 AM, AC1 said:

I watched episode 2 yesterday (the one with the deer) and it's one of the finest hours on TV this year. 

And suddenly, just like that, it's over!

TheCrownS4_Diana_4x5_EN-UK-600x750.jpg

Overall, I was pleased with this final season. As always, it's very well made; writing, directing and acting wise. If from now on offers aren't pouring in for Josh O'Connor (Prince Charles) then my name isn't AC1. Everyone is so great. The only two that might be somewhat controversial are Emma Corrin (Lady Di) and Gillian Anderon (Margaret Thatcher).

This is a true story. The events depicted took place in London in the 80s and 90s. At the request of the survivors, the facts have been changed. Out of respect for the dead, the rest has been told exactly as it occurred.

--The Crown

It was always planned for six, never for four. Imelda Staunton was announced as playing the queen in 5 and 6 ages ago. I dunno how Alex got so out of the loop. 

17 hours ago, Jay said:

It was always planned for six, never for four. Imelda Staunton was announced as playing the queen in 5 and 6 ages ago. I dunno how Alex got so out of the loop. 

Always? I just looked it up. In January 2020, Netflix said Season 5 was going to be the final season (I thought they were talking about this season, hence my confusion) but in July 2020 they announced there would be a sixth season. 

51ruubMnwtL.jpg

As far as glossy melodramas go, Little Fires Everywhere (Amazon) is modern-day Ross Hunter. It follows the intertwined fates of the picture-perfect Richardson family and an enigmatic (black) mother and daughter who upend their lives. The story explores the weight of secrets, the nature of art and identity, the ferocious pull of motherhood – and the danger in believing that following the rules can avert disaster.

It piles up the eye-widening strokes of fate and/or human stupidity pretty fast. Still, on the sidelines there are some nuggets about the ruling class and their ability to buy virtually anything - or themselves out of it. Also, the casual racism so typical of privileged oh-so liberal american whites gets a cheeky shoutout or two and belies a good team of writers beneath all the high drama (it is cartoony in spots, but the actors sell it). It's one to watch with the missus.

4 hours ago, Quintus said:

Countless shows get really high ratings these days, the traditional sources are no longer really a reliable measure. 

Indeed. In fact, they're more often than not, markers of blandness.

If that is true then I certainly would avoid The Leftovers!

Rotten Tomatoes:

Critics Score: 99%

Audience Score: 91%

Bones Score IMDb (free on the house) 8.3/10

There are exceptions!

I also think it's partially a Netflix problem. Most Netflix products with exorbitantly high RT scores are pretty middling affairs. HBO usually fares better in the quality control department.

22 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Sorry for the late reply...you're right; SIX FEET UNDER does not have a Blu release.

Well, since I don't expect anything interesting for a while, I'm probably going to rewatch it very soon. I still have my Plasma TV for watching DVDs so it doesn't really matter if there's no Blu-ray release. It's odd though, because Six Feet Under is widely regarded as one of the best shows ever made, or at least it was one of the pioneers that was part of the creative renaissance of television. Maybe it's too dated now. We'll see ...

Funny you guys bring that up. I was thinking about finally taking the plunge with Six Feet Under this week. But like you say Alex, I also fear it might be a bit dated for me to enjoy now.

11 minutes ago, KK said:

Funny you guys bring that up. I was thinking about taking the plunge with Six Feet Under this week. But like you say Alex, I also fear it might be a bit dated for me to enjoy now.

I think The FIRST season will be relevant.

It's an excellent DRAMA  about family and work .

Later seasons turned into a soap opera.

I mean, at the time, everybody drooled over how great House Of Cards is but now that I'm finally watching it, I must say, it's rather crudely written. It's certainly not on the same level as The Wire or Mad Men. Also, I always have a problem when literally every character is rotten to the core ... 'rotten' as a selling point, as a sensation ... Meh ...

Frank-Underwood-en-Zoe-Barnes-House-of-C

That dress though ...

I watched a few episodes of HOC and absolutely hated it!.Youre right about how misanthropic it is. Wallows is cynicism.  That's why critics liked it.

I only watched for a bit because Kate Mara has the best ass on Netflix😜

On 11/30/2020 at 8:11 AM, AC1 said:

I mean, at the time, everybody drooled over how great House Of Cards is but now that I'm finally watching it, I must say, it's rather crudely written. 

Try the BBC original, Alex. Ian Richardson is phenomenal.

12 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Try the BBC original, Alex. Ian Richardson is phenomenal.

Is Kate Mara in it?😛

ADMIN NOTICE: NSFW IMAGE

Spoiler

Screenshot_2020-12-07-01-03-20.png

13 hours ago, AC1 said:

S1 was funnier though. S2 is getting slightly more serious.

There is a season two?

image.png

Nicole Kidman and Hugh Grant star as New York City socialites coping with murder and marriage troubles in this new HBO miniseries. It's like Big Little Lies, a tableau of rich people suffering beautifully in spacious brownstones and exquisite beach houses - though not as entertaining, because it lacks the satiric edge. Kidman is as luminous as ever, the whole thing plays like a starry 40's MGM drama, though it's just another bloody murder case. 

Fixed post and warned the user.

The forum rules are clear about this

On 5/10/2011 at 9:20 PM, Jay said:

06 - Images containing nudity or other Not Safe For Work (NSFW) content are not allowed on any of the forums. It is OK to link to sites containing potential NSFW content as long as a clear NSFW warning is included with the link.

Fargo season 2. In the end, I think it's crap. But Kirsten Dunst and Jesse Plemons try their darndest to carry the risible small town mob story tedium, and for that they deserve to mentioned as standouts. Ah well, but at least they met on the show got together. 

Oh Mike was fabulous. The story should have revolved solely around his character. 

For me, one of the big offenders was the track list selection. The underscore was serviceable enough, but the songs used were really badly judged. I kept getting dragged out of scenes by the obnoxious din of the soundtrack.