What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

13 minutes ago, KK said:

The interface with duplicate entries and shoddy labelling around what's actually available with Prime membership and what isn't really blows though. 

This. I don’t know why they have a separate listing for 4K content. I’ve watched a couple things I thought were 4K but ultimately weren’t. 

4 minutes ago, publicist said:

Hmm? That's very clearly labeled in my menu bar above the content.

The tiny "Prime" vs "$" labels only popped up this last year, and even then aren't particularly useful. When I search up a film like, say, "Empire of the Sun", I might 3 options (Prime and non-Prime), promoting different providers or 4K content, etc. There must be a more efficient way to organize this content without being misled about availability. The Netflix algorithm is also far superior at leading you to other options when what you're looking for isn't available.

I also don't like how Prime lists every season of a tv show as a separate entry. Lots of unnecessary clutter.

6 minutes ago, KK said:

The tiny "Prime" vs "$" labels only popped up this last year, and even then aren't particularly useful.

I only had the Prime app on my tv before and that clearly wasn't a better option. Especially since Samsung doesn't lavishes updates on tv's older than a year and some apps just froze on start-up. I couldn't even install an Apple TV app for my free account that came with the new phone. At least this the stick solved, so I'm grateful (for 19€).

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

I do it all the time, it's a deliberate stylistic choice useful for staying on track while providing [hopefully] snappy extra details. 

It's my forumite prose. 

I can't speak for Marian's reasons though. 

I know I usually go overboard with it, but in this case I probably ended up writing a different sentence than the one I started with on top of that.

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

On my 3 year old Sony Bravia the Prime app is fiddly crapola, especially compared to the slick Netflix app. 

Actual streaming quality on Prime blows Netflix away though. I can't fault Amazon's fidelity. 

Both my Grundig TV and my Sony Blu-ray player have Netflix apps, but no Prime, so the PS4 is my only option if I don't want to watch at the computer desk. I don't have any of those fancy streaming sticks (I've been considering setting up a Raspberry Pi for that purpose, but so far I'm shying away from all the necessary work).

For me, Prime has noticeably worse blacks and much stronger banding than Netflix (which is probably made worse by my not so great TV, but that's why I don't watch films on it, it's just for series and gaming). On top of that, a lot of non-original content is not even available without paying extra (but at least the PS4 app doesn't have a search that filters out all the stuff that's not included in the standard membership), and some of that is low quality - 720p or less, I've seen stuff that was clearly transferred from a poor VHS tape. On top of that, they seem to be incapable of managing multi-language content - with a German membership, you have to use different entries for German and original language versions, plus every season of a series is again its own entry. That at least is something Netflix consistently gets right.

7 hours ago, Quintus said:

I do it all the time, it's a deliberate stylistic choice useful for staying on track while providing [hopefully] snappy extra details. 

It's my forumite prose. 

I can't speak for Marian's reasons though. 

An asterisk is another option without being obtrusive.

6 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

This. I don’t know why they have a separate listing for 4K content. I’ve watched a couple things I thought were 4K but ultimately weren’t. 

I had to buy several digital copies of movies because I wanted the 4K version. The UHD logo in the corner of the art is tiny when I need to find the right one and I only realized after purchasing standard versions that UHD versions were on there and you just had to search it.

20210118_170940.jpg

I quite like Amazon's streaming quality but their interface is atrocious.

The Madalorian

Season 1

Started out really strong with the first three episodes, then takes a nosedive with Bryce Dallas Howard’s awful episode. Picks back up towards the end and finishes nicely.

Gina Carano can’t act. Didn’t even realize she became an actor after Haywire. Thought that was an action one-off. 

What stands out the most to me are the wonderfully grounded special effects. The world feels tangible because of them. The score has some awful electronic action music here and there, but that main theme is so good. Loved each episode opening up with it.

Pedro Pascal, Werner Herzog, Nick Nolte, Carl Weathers, Taika Waititi, and Giancarlo Esposito are all a plus.

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

The Madalorian

The score has some awful electronic action music here and there, but that main theme is so good.

It always reminds me of Bill Conti's Going The Distance.

21 minutes ago, AC1 said:

It always reminds me of Bill Conti's Going The Distance.

Yes! Thank you. That was it somewhere deep in the back of my head and I couldn't figure it out.

But Bill Conti's is much better. 

I find the Mandalorian main theme somehow cheap.

Same issue I had with the main title from Game of Thrones. Both habe some simple childish innocent quality to them but also the same level of maturity. 

Big difference, in GoT I liked the rest of the score apart from the main theme, in The Mandalorian I don't. 

On 1/17/2021 at 10:40 AM, The Big Man said:

This sentence is horrible. Why do people feel the need to interrupt their sentences with obtrusive brackets instead of just saving that shit for the following sentence?

I love it.

I keep hearing about how The Mandalorian riffs on Rocky, but until I'd read the connection here I'd never thought about it and probably never would have done. But I guess they're similar in a way that Jaws is comparable to The Rite of Spring. 

27 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Yes! Thank you. That was it somewhere deep in the back of my head and I couldn't figure it out.

But Bill Conti's is much better. 

I find the Mandalorian main theme somehow cheap.

Same issue I had with the main title from Game of Thrones. Both habe some simple childish innocent quality to them but also the same level of maturity. 

Big difference, in GoT I liked the rest of the score apart from the main theme, in The Mandalorian I don't. 

It probably explains why the main theme of Game Of Thrones has become such a worldwide sing-along hit. 

I'm about 7 years late to the party but finally got around to watching The Terror this week. Got 4 episodes left. I wouldn't put it in the brilliant brilliant brilliant category necessarily but it's a damn fine series. It's quite unique in tone and concept and feels more grown up. I do appreciate that.

Karol

21 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I'm about 7 years late to the party but finally got around to watching The Terror

What do you mean about 7 years?  Season 1 aired in 2018.

You're talking about the Ridley Scott produced show about an arctic expedition right?

2 minutes ago, Quintus said:

It's not important and yes he is. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I dunno, there could be some other TV show that had the same name.

Two Weeks to Live on NOW TV: Cast, trailer, how to watch | BT TV

2 Weeks To Live

This 6 episode (22 minute each) miniseries was pretty cool.  Maisie Williams (Arya Stark) and Sian Clifford (Fleabag's sister) have been living remotely cut off from civilization since Maisie's character was a child, with Clifford's character being a sort of Doomsday prepper who has let Maisie's to think the end is night. 

The show begins with Maisie sneaking out to experience London with a list of things to do for the first time, such as kissing a boy and having a drink, but 2 guys she meets in a bar play a prank that makes her think the world will end in 2 weeks so she accelerates a revenge plan she had set in motion when she left.

I really enjoyed the opening episode and premise, but as the show goes on the plot becomes needlessly elaborate and everything it started out being about is completely forgotten, with a lot of the early charm only shows up in small doses from that point on.  It's still worth watching though, especially since the entire thing is only a little over 2 hours, it's more like a movie chopped up into 6 pieces than a show.

It's available on HBO Max in the US.

It's a Sin.

IMG_20210124_185908_229.jpg

This could have been really ponderous and didactic... I tend to be put off by emotional manipulation. But, to my genuine surprise, it was really charming and touching. Very good and likeable young cast and very solid production. Russell T. Davies has definitely learned a thing or two since the ancient days of Queer as Folk as this is definitely way more polished. Hope a lot of people see this. I can think of one or two...or dozen... who probably should...

Karol

58 minutes ago, KK said:

Did you ever watch Davies' Years and Years? Was that any good?

No idea, mate. I've never heard of it. But will check it out.

In the meantime, I'm starting this tonight...

91ET3MtJhiL._RI_.jpg

Karol

My opinion didn't change. The tone becomes even darker and it's quite depressing watch. I don't think it was perfect but I really enjoyed it. Period elements more so than the supernatural stuff. I'm glad that was mostly in the background.

Karol

On 1/24/2021 at 3:13 PM, crocodile said:

It's a Sin.

IMG_20210124_185908_229.jpg

This could have been really ponderous and didactic... I tend to be put off by emotional manipulation. But, to my genuine surprise, it was really charming and touching. Very good and likeable young cast and very solid production. Russell T. Davies has definitely learned a thing or two since the ancient days of Queer as Folk as this is definitely way more polished. Hope a lot of people see this. I can think of one or two...or dozen... who probably should...

Karol

So yesterday I read this post of yours about this show I've never heard of, and today I read that it's coming to the US via HBO Max this February

sin2.jpg

It's A Sin was marvellous. It may be Russell T Davies' finest work to date. Hilarious, awkward, devastating and beautiful. I was deeply moved by it, my partner and I were in tears for a good 20 minutes after the last episode. I can't recommend it enough for anyone going in with an open mind. I was a bit hesitant going in - so much of drama around HIV/AIDS is dreary, depressing and full of finger-wagging and pontificating. RTD managed to start a new conversation about that awful period of time, and remind people that amongst all of the death and despair there was a whole world of fun, life and love.

It's better than Years and Years which I also enjoyed a lot, also equal parts hilarious and devastating. But it's clear that It's A Sin was a deeply personal project for RTD and something he's been working up to his whole career. Plus it's got Daleks.

MV5BZmQ1NzM5NTMtZGVmNy00NDc3LWJjZWQtMDE1

Am not normally much of a one for period dramas because OH NO, Miss Prissy Britches using the wrong cutlery at dinner to eat swan will surely damage her chances of marriage to Lord Snooty Trousers as much as if she'd openly pissed on the lawn at Poshington Hall during one of his garden parties ... ZZZZZZZZZZZ. 

But this (very loosely based on the life of Catherine The Great) is very funny, sweary, sexy, irreverent and deliberately anachronistic. Much more like it.    

Surprisingly, Cobra Kai has a similarity with Better Call Saul in that whenever the story switches over to anything related to Daniel San I go Zzzzzzzz just like I do whenever BCS shifts to Mike's thread. 

On 1/25/2021 at 8:13 PM, Jay said:

sin2.jpg

I've heard good things, about this. I like QUEER AS FOLK, but I've not seen YEARS AND YEARS.

RTD did a medical drama, a few years back. "Dr. somebody", I think it was called. I liked that :)

"Babylon Berlin" season three.

Not as audacious as one and two, but more grounded in reality.

Which is fine by me.

The brilliant music, so prominent in previous seasons, recedes into the background as the tone shifts.

Mindhunter

Season 2

Major plot holes that arise between seasons aside, I really liked this season as well. Maybe not as strong overall, but pushing Holt McCallany to the forefront was a wise decision. He’s fantastic here, not sure why he isn’t in more prominent roles.

A shame that Season 3 will probably never happen. 

I don't think Peaky Blinders is a very sophisticated show but I guess it's watchable (when there's really nothing else on). I actually enjoyed the last season the most.

aab80c60-c543-11e9-b10b-e7503b6c3f71_800

And it features The Queen's Gambit!