What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

8 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

Dunno, movies like Public Enemies have that distinct digital haze that's barf inducing. Maybe that's what Alex is seeing in Godless.

Public Enemies looks like it's been shot with a consumer grade VHS camcorder. Godless is not like that but it's far from the best I've seen. 

Second episode of Godless. I'm really starting to like it. It's good to see nice guy Jeff Daniels playing an evil bastard for once.

636464483923954855-250-GODLESS-106-Unit-

I only know him from his nice guy roles (or at least I think I do). Always liked Daniels, except in The Newsroom, where his character is guilty of overmoralizing.

On 3/10/2021 at 7:34 AM, AC1 said:

Soulmates 

soulmates3.jpg

This miniseries explores what will happen if you can find your perfect soulmate by taking a simple test. It's not as romantic as you think! In a way, it's true sci-fi. 6 episodes/ 6 different stories. 6.6/10

kingsley-ben-adir-on-soul-mates-and-play

Sounds like that Netflix French show, Osmosis.

Oh, turns out Netflix just put out another spin on the same premise...

the-one-netflix-tv-show-news.png?fit=418

Yeah, I noticed that too. The One seems to be based on the same idea but it's probably a completely different show as Soulmates comprises 6 completely different stories with each time a new cast. I shall check The One out.

2 minutes ago, AC1 said:

It's a miniseries so there's very little chance of that.

Yeah.

The one miniseries that deserved more seasons , doesn't get one.

STRANGER THINGS was supposed to be a ' mini- series'. There are others like that.

3 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

STRANGER THINGS was supposed to be a ' mini- series'. There are others like that.

Good for Netflix, they do need a hit from time to time (like Disney has The Mandalorian), but not good for me.

The One, Episode 1

the-one-netflix-launch-day-actors-traile

Now that I've checked it out, I've have a feeling I should've given Soulmates a higher score. Unlike Soulmates, The One is barely interested in what the effects of the available science have on the human psyche. It's a much more conventional TV series about power and intrigue. The writing is inferior too. Soulmates, despite every episode being completely different, always knows how to hook the viewer during the first very first scene. The One can't even do that during the entire length of the pilot. I won't continue with it.

THE STARLOST ( 197?).

ON IMDB, a reviewer wrote " Makes me ashamed to be Canadian". Another wrote " every actor had a dumb look on their face, like they would rather be in a mall shopping for bell bottoms than being on a sound stage..."

Canadian television sucked then, sucks now.

Except for SCTV

On 3/12/2021 at 2:02 AM, bruce marshall said:

Some films are shot on digital video and look like crap.

BSG for example

The second season of THE TWILIGHT ZONE ( CBS ALL ACCESS) has the same crappy look.

😞

On 3/12/2021 at 10:41 PM, The Big Man said:

You should watch Blood Work.

No one saw that. 😛😄

10 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I've started to watch THE RANCH. I like it.

For a multi cam sitcom, it’s got incredible cinematography and production design. Also balances comedy and drama really nicely. There are some dark and grounded moments throughout the levity. 

The wife and I started watching Resident Alien on syfy. I’m really liking this series. It’s mostly a comedy, but looks like it will develop into something fairly seriocomic. (I’m only 2 1/2 episodes in.) Alan Tudyk is well cast as a character (in this case, an alien that can morph into human shape) that is equal (and amusing) parts self-important and clueless/thin-skinned covert agent sent to destroy all humans. The other main characters (actors’ names escape me) are pretty good too, especially the sheriff and mayor of the small, made-up Colorado town where the show is set.

3 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

Is Peaky Blinders any good. My friend has been nagging me to watch it but I don't trust her judgement because she likes so many shitty shows.

It's very good, but imho, it's not up there with the best of the Beeb.

Murphy, Hardy, McCrory, Neill, and support, are uniformly excellent. I enjoy watching it, but I'm not as involved as I think I should be (if that makes any sense). I can't go the extra mile, and get completely drawn in. Still, I've seen all five series, and I am looking forward to the sixth, and the follow-on film. Bottom line: it fascinates, rather than entertains, me.

2 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I enjoy watching it, but I'm not as involved as I think I should be (if that makes any sense).

Sounds to me it makes you lose interest and you end up browsing the internet on your phone during the boring bits...

I've seen all seasons of Peaky Blinders even though I can't call myself a fan. It's far from subtle, which is also a trademark of Damnation.

1 hour ago, The Big Man said:

Sounds to me it makes you lose interest and you end up browsing the internet on your phone during the boring bits...

Not at all. For the record, I never browse the internet, while I'm watching something.

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

Do you like Eastenders? 

Lee's right: it's a violent soap opera.

PEAKY BLINDERS is well- made crap.

Fans of SCHITTS CREEK, COBRA KAI,  SUCCESSION may like it.😉

5 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

It's very good, but imho, it's not up there with the best of the Beeb.

Murphy, Hardy, McCrory, Neill, and support, are uniformly excellent.

NEILL is " excellent"?!

One of the worst performances in the entire history of British drama.😵

North and South (1985-6)

I'm on Season 2 now (Book II).

Also started The Time Tunnel (1966).

Listening to Williams' music on the 1st episode, I don't think I'll purchase this new La-la land edition. The first edition I have is enough.

I'm not sure also if I'll continue the series, but we'll see how it goes..

3 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Also started The Time Tunnel (1966).

Listening to Williams' music on the 1st episode, I don't think I'll purchase this new La-la land edition. The first edition I have is enough.

I'm not sure also if I'll continue the series, but we'll see how it goes..

I watched it on tely when I was about ten. At that time it was a big deal.

1 hour ago, bruce marshall said:

First run or syndication years after?

Good question. No. First time on German television the series was shown between 1971 and 72. So actually I watched a replay. It must have been end of the 70s or beginning of the 80s.

21 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I watched it on tely when I was about ten. At that time it was a big deal.

I thought only Heimat was a big deal in Germany! And, I must say, deservedly so! 

11 minutes ago, AC1 said:

I thought only Heimat was a big deal in Germany! And, I must say, deservedly so! 

Big deal just for me as a ten year old boy, I meant. Probably noone else cared. :)

Heimat was a phenomenon! at least the first two parts.

Now we just have Babylon Berlin.

12 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Heimat was a phenomenon! at least the first two parts.

I loved all three Heimats but the second one was truly off the scale. However, I was disappointed with Die Andere Heimat that came out in 2013. Did you watch that one?

22 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

You're just saying that because he is Australia

Sam Neill is Irish.

32 minutes ago, AC1 said:

I liked HEIMAT. I watched it on BBC 2.

18 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Now we just have Babylon Berlin.

Is that the one set in the early 80s? I've heard good things about that.

15 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Is that the one set in the early 80s? I've heard good things about that.

No, that's the one set in the late 20s, early 30s.

25 minutes ago, AC1 said:

I loved all three Heimats but the second one was truly off the scale. However, I was disappointed with Die Andere Heimat that came out in 2013. Did you watch that one?

No, I didn't.