What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

On 3/25/2021 at 5:13 PM, bruce marshall said:

NEILL is Aussie.

His Irish accent is atrocious

He was born in Northern Ireland, but I believe that he's become a naturalized New Zealander.

On 3/25/2021 at 5:37 PM, LSH said:

Northern Irish

Thank you! There's someone on this site, who can actually be bothered to do some research.

I knew that already but the point is - as some people outside of the British Isles might not know or notice - Northern and 'Southern' Irish accents are really very different.

3 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

New Zealand is the same as Australian

2 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Same accent.

Say what now? And that after complaining about Sam Neill's accent?

51 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Say what now? And that after complaining about Sam Neill's accent?

His native accent is New Zealand/ Australian.

I hate that accent.

His Irish dialect in PEAKT BLINDERS I horrible !

Got it?😁

Screenshot_2021-04-01-19-04-48~7.png

Neill's *native* accent (as far as an accent can be considered native) is literally Northern Irish.

I'm no expert on Irish accents and I don't know anyone from Northern Ireland personally. According to "the internet", Neill's accent seems to be pretty good and better than most, but whatever the case, it can hardly be farther off than the difference between an Australian and a NZ accent…

My BRILLIANT FRIEND

Boy is this a violent and depressing show thru four eps.

It's hard to watch children being beaten and im about to bail if it continues.

Also, each ep seems to feature a drawn-out beating scene between adults.

Ugh.

The.music is featured very prominently which is much appreciated!

13 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Calling @Sweeping Strings.

At the pub nursing a Guinness? I wish ... we still await a reopening date for even the outside seating areas of our pubs and restaurants. 

To this lifelong Belfast citizen's ears, Neill's Peaky Blinders accent sounded pretty good. I'd like to think he felt an obligation to get it right, given his roots - 

'Neill was born in 1947 in Omagh, Northern Ireland, to Priscilla Beatrice (née Ingham) and Dermot Neill. His father, an army officer, was a third-generation New Zealander, while his mother was born in England. His great-grandfather Percy Neill left Belfast, in Northern Ireland, for New Zealand in 1860, settling in Dunedin. He was the son of a wine merchant importing wine from France.

At the time of Neill's birth, his father was stationed in Northern Ireland, serving with the Royal Irish Fusiliers. His father's family owned Neill and Co. (later part of the listed hospitality group Wilson Neill). Neill holds British and Irish citizenship through his place of birth, but identifies primarily as a New Zealander.'

THE QUEENS GAMBIT

I Knew very little about this show before watching,

Only that bit was about a female chess champ with substance abuse problems.

The originality of the concept held my interest even when the plot slowed down.

Extremely well made with an excellent cast of mostly unknowns,

The lead actress was absolutely magnetic; I can't think of any current actress who would have held my interest about a chess player like she did. amazing!

I liked how the story was obviously  inspired by Bobby Fischer but transposed into a fictional character who happens to be a girl.

Check it out.

Btw Anybody else feel the score was tempered with A BEAUTIFUL MIND?

On 1/30/2021 at 12:29 AM, AC1 said:

I don't think Peaky Blinders is a very sophisticated show but I guess it's watchable (when there's really nothing else on). I actually enjoyed the last season the most.

aab80c60-c543-11e9-b10b-e7503b6c3f71_800

And it features The Queen's Gambit!

I knew she wasn't an American; too beaUTIFUL.

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

I really liked the first few episodes of The Queen’s Gambit. Didn’t hold through to the end for me. I didn’t buy that the entire world treated a chess match like the Super Bowl. 

You missed the point.

Russia treats chess " like the Super Bowl".

The film is ' based on ' Bobby Fischer who almost single- handedly popularized chess , in the US at least.

He became a celebrity because he defeated Russia who used chess as a propaganda tool.

Just now, bruce marshall said:

You missed the point.

Russia treats chess " like the Super Bowl".

The film is ' based on ' Bobby Fischer who almost single- handedly popularized chess , in the US at least.

I get that. Still didn’t buy into that world. I adored the child actress in the beginning though. 

4 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Written by the author of MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH.

It's stylishly written but somewhere along the line her underlying drinking problem was poorly developed. It could be that the TV series ultimately decided to put less focus on her problems and more on the thriller aspect of the story (will she win?), making The Queen's Gambit easier to digest for a large audience.

I was mesmerized!😍

40 minutes ago, AC1 said:

It's stylishly written but somewhere along the line her underlying drinking problem was poorly developed. It could be that the TV series ultimately decided to put less focus on her problems and more on the thriller aspect of the story (will she win?), making The Queen's Gambit easier to digest for a large audience.

Well, it showed that the orphanage got her addicted to tranquilizers.

So, it was a thru line from childhood.

13 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Well, it showed that the orphanage got her addicted to tranquilizers.

So, it was a thru line from childhood.

Yes, and because of that, you think her addiction will play a major part in her later life, something that might probably prevent her from becoming one of the truly greats, her Achilles' heel, so to peak. But I felt they steered away from that, and it became something of no consequence, something to fill up the episodes. 

I disagree.

It was a huge part of the plot.

Maybe you missed the ep where she moves into her home and goes on a.bender.Or

shows up for a tourney hung-over.

For me, the ' suspense' wasn't about winning matches but conquering her dependency

Exactly, but it went nowhere. To me 'female power' became the focus, the goal. Drinking and pills couldn't stop her from becoming the greatest. She beat them all! And the show, entertaining as it was, lacks a bit of depth because of that. Even Rocky didn't win in Rocky. People seem to forget that.

It was a fine show, but the chess match montages became tiresome, even though the lively score did its best to keep them engaging (not that successfully). 

I liked the relationship with her surrogate mother; for me that aspect grounded the glam lead character more than her vices and upbringing. 

11 hours ago, AC1 said:

Yes, and because of that, you think her addiction will play a major part in her later life, something that might probably prevent her from becoming one of the truly greats, her Achilles' heel, so to peak. But I felt they steered away from that, and it became something of no consequence, something to fill up the episodes. 

Wasn't the whole point that for a long time she couldn't perform without pills or alcohol, lost control of her life, then lost control of her chess playing because she tried to get sober, and ultimately succeeded at chess only because she learned how to get both chess and her life in order without giving in to her addiction?

I liked it a lot. Good drama, excellent cast, supportive score (even if I don't remember any of it now), and of course chess.

The character was deeply troubled.

She hardly showed any emotion.

She teared up when her step mom died but didn't truly express grief

until her mentor died.

Het sex was mechanical and her friendships transactional.

For me, it was when she allowed her inner life to develop that she became a complete person and didn't need drugs or alcohol to feel.

There is a running dialog about chess masters who went insane.

In real life, Bobby Fischer went crazy because all he cared about was chess.

So, it's a multifaceted character and very intriguing

In.some ways TQG shares a theme with SOUL.

Don't let your passion overwhelm your life. There is more to existence than excelling at one thing

15 hours ago, AC1 said:

Exactly, but it went nowhere. To me 'female power' became the focus, the goal. Drinking and pills couldn't stop her from becoming the greatest. She beat them all! And the show, entertaining as it was, lacks a bit of depth because of that. Even Rocky didn't win in Rocky. People seem to forget that.

I agree. The whole show kinda builds up to this growing problem she has. And it’s magically fixed and she’s cured in a third of an episode before the finale. 

I had a similar problem with Flight. Where the entire movie spends its time following Denzel’s alcoholism and trying to hide it and get away with his actions, only to turn into a Lifetime TV drama in the end. 

11 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Wasn't the whole point that for a long time she couldn't perform without pills or alcohol, lost control of her life, then lost control of her chess playing because she tried to get sober, and ultimately succeeded at chess only because she learned how to get both chess and her life in order without giving in to her addiction?

I liked it a lot. Good drama, excellent cast, supportive score (even if I don't remember any of it now), and of course chess.

I liked it too, but in the end, her addictions felt like window dressing to me. It's the one gripe I have with The Queen's Gambit

Them

COVT_S1_FG_101_00132504.jpg

Horror TV series about a black family moving to an all-white suburban neighborhood that starts off really, really good and that keeps on being good for 5 or 6 episodes. The last episodes, however, turn the series into a complete disaster. Bummer!

That was actually the first thought that went through my mind when I started watching: Hey, this looks like a Jordan Peele TV series! Could it be? But I didn't see his name in the credits.

6 hours ago, Unlucky Bastard said:

The Queen's Gambit

The only bad part was when she is naked in bed with a guy.

Like almost every show, she inexplicably pulls the sheets over her breasts when she sits up.

Possibly my all- time pet peeve