What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

On 29/09/2021 at 2:12 PM, Disco Stu said:

I've been watching and really enjoying Only Murders in the Building (a Hulu show).  This week's episode especially was great.  Martin Short and Nathan Lane have given my favorite performances in the show thus far.

Holy shit we watched this week's episode the other night - pretty damn cool!  Do you watch Mr. Robot? They did a dialogue-free episode last year that was also really cool

7 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Friends, end of season 4. Ross, you're an idiot.

David Swimmer is a gifted physical comedian.

43 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

What's that got to do with it? Poor Emily!

Emily was a b****.

The writers enjoyed tormenting Ross

43 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:
1 minute ago, bollemanneke said:

What does thhat make Rachel?

The ultimate correct choice. She got off the plane.

Finished the first season or Ted Lasso and now onto ep 3 or 4 or season 2. 

This really is not good. Bunch of caricatures, with some sprinkling of HumanityTM thrown in to give some semblance of depth, and situations scripted to extract a sense of stakes when really the absurdity of the premise would have suited a conventional sitcom much better. None of the jokes bite, it's all tame and cutsey in a very mainstream way. It started off average but inoffensive, but the recent episodes are getting on to be insufferable at times. 

Ted himself is the most insufferable - always full of quips referencing famous/obscure pop culture which the writers may have thought as smart but really just comes across as empty and annoying as the frequency ramps up. 

At this point I'm only watching it casually as my girl seems to like it. I guess I should have noticed the red flag when someone described the series as "there is no way someone wouldn't like this".

Season 2 is a huge decline in qualify after season 1. Quite shockingly  less good I would say. 

midnight-mass-tall.jpeg

Terrible! The dialog the characters have with each other is tediously boring (people talking about their feelings and memories in scenes longer than 10 minutes). After a while I couldn't take it any more and so I stopped watching. This has to be the worst TV show of the year. 

I dunno. I'm 3 episodes in and while the overall quality is still unknown, I'm still intrigued enough to continue watching. There must be some payoff to all the character building so far...

Coming from the guy who did Haunting of Hill House, I'll give this some benefit of doubt. Hill House's episode 5 is unparalleled in emotional horror and it wrecked me for a day or two after I watched it. The last few episodes couldn't stick the landing but overall it was a fine series. Hoping for something of a similar quality from Midnight Mass. 

Nah, the only thing that is mildly okay is the priest (but not when gives AA meetings because then it's more boring people talking about themselves).

From the creators of Haunting of Hill House? Well, I stopped watching that second series too. I thought everyone here agreed that was pretty bad?

Hill House is one of my favorite minisseries Netflix has ever done. I like how it focus more on a family drama instead of just jump scares.

Haven't watched Bly Manor yet and I don't think I will.

10 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Bly Manor is pretty awful; but Flanagan wasn’t as creatively involved in that as he was in Hill House. 

The first series started kind of promising, but I ended up not liking it either, for reasons I don't remember. Come to think of it, most horror movies/series start fine but they very rarely keep it up.

23 hours ago, AC1 said:

Terrible! The dialog the characters have with each other is tediously boring (people talking about their feelings and memories in scenes longer than 10 minutes). After a while I couldn't take it any more and so I stopped watching. This has to be the worst TV show of the year. 

Were you by any chance referring to ep4? That's where I am now and fucking hell, the conversation between the kid who killed the girl in the car accident and his childhood sweetheart goes on and on and on and on and on... I swear it must be 20 minutes of non stop talking about where they think they go to when they die or whatever. 

Unfettered vision isn't always great. 

For what it's worth the rest of the episode after that monologue is much better, but at this point the series feels like a standard monster movie swamped by lots of incessant talking. 

The priest is indeed the best thing. I know I've seen him somewhere but can't put a finger on it. 

2 hours ago, Hurmm said:

The priest is indeed the best thing. I know I've seen him somewhere but can't put a finger on it. 

MV5BMzIzNTc5ODU1M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzU1

Fargo S3

web_cast_hamishlinklater_legion_570x698.

Legion

Never seen Legion so I guess it's Fargo then, although I don't remember his character...

Early reviews for Succession season 3 have appeared and they are very positive. First two seasons were goddamn great.

On the other hand...nearing the end of my casual viewing of Ted Lasso season 2, and...it's one of the worst things I've seen on TV. Absolutely no point to the entirety of season 2. It seems to be running off the fumes first season, with nary a plot in sight. The problems with the series were all existent in season 1, but they were slightly better hidden under some engineered stakes and conflict. None of that camouflage in season 2. At best this series is a right bore. At worst it's an extremely misguided character study pretending to be life lessons. I mean, take a step back and observe the titular character – he's one of the worst, most groan-inducing persons on earth. 

Kids' recent Halloween watching verdicts:

They were decidedly not into Muppets Haunted Mansion.

They loved the Halloween episode of The Snoopy Show (a new Peanuts series that came out this year on Apple TV+)

Stefan pointed at that former UCLA star  quarterback Mark Harmon has left NCIS.  After 19 seasons that's his right. I do not remember ever watching the show other than when flipping channels. I did/do watch CSI, and Criminal Minds. Criminal Minds is my all time favorite serial killer show. Great Ensemble cast. 

We just finished up Leverage. Solid show. Nothing mind blowing but super good at what it did.

I'm trying to time a Lost in Space Netflix rewatch so I can finish it when then new season comes out.

5 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Wha'???!!! :o

How many of these things, are there???!!!

Sooooo many! My wife can't figure out why I won't watch her true crime stuff but I'll watch something like Alien. Because Alien doesn't make me want to stay away from my neighbors!

5 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Wha'???!!! :o

How many of these things, are there???!!!

Very few actually. Criminal Minds tended to focus mostly on serial killers/spree killers/mass killers. Most other shows do no.

52 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I finished THE RANCH, last weekend. Wow! That was really good. Bravo, to all involved.

Is that the series with Kevin Costner? A friend of mine said I need to watch this and that I was going to love it. 

9 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Is that the series with Kevin Costner? A friend of mine said I need to watch this and that I was going to love it. 

That's Yellowstone not the Ranch

I enjoyed this week's episode of Only Murders in the Building.  The scene where Martin Short meets Jane Lynch's character was very funny!

I obviously have questions from the end like

Spoiler

If they're trying to set up Amy Ryan as the murderer potentially, then it makes the end of last week's ep very weird.  She gets to her apartment and finds the note on the door and acts all surprised and suspicious, why would she act like that when no one else was around if she's the murderer.  I guess the obvious answer is that she could be both the murderer of Tim Kono and there's separately another person who attacked her, poisoned the cat (and Martin Short's dog), etc.

2 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

That's Yellowstone not the Ranch

Thanks! I forgot the title and The Ranch sounded like something Kevin Costner would be in. 

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I enjoyed this week's episode of Only Murders in the Building.  The scene where Martin Short meets Jane Lynch's character was very funny!

I obviously have questions from the end like

Hide contents

If they're trying to set up Amy Ryan as the murderer potentially, then it makes the end of last week's ep very weird.  She gets to her apartment and finds the note on the door and acts all surprised and suspicious, why would she act like that when no one else was around if she's the murderer.  I guess the obvious answer is that she could be both the murderer of Tim Kono and there's separately another person who attacked her, poisoned the cat (and Martin Short's dog), etc.

We watched it last night.  Amy Ryan being bad is certainly the last red herring.  Next week is the finale right?

My wife thinks the killer is the lady in the basement with all the TV monitors that can see everyone (the one that conned them into investing in Gut Milk)

I liked how last week had fans of the podcast involved and wish that had been a runner the whole time instead of a one-episode joke

You ever wonder if there are days when James Earl Jones listens to Sam Neil and says "Damn!"? Have they ever been in anything together? That would beat even Jones and Harrison Ford in Patriot Games.

On 4/10/21 at 10:45 AM, Hurmm said:

Were you by any chance referring to ep4? That's where I am now and fucking hell, the conversation between the kid who killed the girl in the car accident and his childhood sweetheart goes on and on and on and on and on... I swear it must be 20 minutes of non stop talking about where they think they go to when they die or whatever. 

Unfettered vision isn't always great. 

Just finished this episode. Show is great so far.

The camerawork is subtly stunning. I love the format with no main titles and sparse score. Solid cast; the woman who plays Bev Keene is properly terrifying. Religious horror in general I always find really interesting and creepy. 

To be fair the last few episodes of Midnight Mass are better than the first few. By the end I thought it was a decent show. Nothing mesmerising, but an okay classic monster movie with a twist. They could have cut down a couple of episodes. 

Hill House was great for about 5-6 episodes. The Bent Neck Lady episodes is almost a self contained story and ranks as one of the best in any series. 

Ted Lasso: Why Nate's Hair Is Fully Gray At The End Of Season 2

Ted Lasso (Season 2)

A big disappointment for me compared to Season 1.  Season 1 was so wholesome and uplifting, every episode was this little 30 minute episode that always left you smiling, and having laughed a lot during it.  They occasionally interjected some drama throughout, but it was not in every episode, which made each time they did it feel way more earned and impactful.  The Bill Lawrence influence was clearly seen there, as it was a very Scrubs-like approach to mixing comedy with drama.

Season 2 swung way too far in the other direction, and added in so much more drama than has any right to be here, or maybe I should say anything anyone could have expected based on how Season 1 played out.  Instead of 30 minute smile-makers, we have episodes that increasingly approached 40, 50, 60 minutes, full of constant drama in one form or another, but mostly in the form of every type of daddy issues a person can have.  I also didn't like many of the running plots this year, such as Rebecca and Sam, Beard and Jane, and really almost anything Keeley, Jamie, and Kent got up to.  But the worst was Nate, I loved his character in season 1 and detest the miserable asshole they turned him into in season 2.  It was not fun to watch at all.

Overall, it's still more good than bad, and I definitely feel like they could swing things back around for next season, but damn, I did not enjoy the avenue they took this season nearly as much as season 1's.

Only Murders in the Building Season Finale

I watched this Tuesday night and forgot to post about it, which probably tells you something about the impact it had on me.  It was.... good, but a tad disappointing.  Everyone (except Gomez of course) gave great performances.  I was especially happy to see Steve Martin get to do some truly hilarious physical comedy.  I do wish Nathan Lane could have been in the season more though.

But the resolution of the story was.... fine.  Nothing more, nothing less.  And I didn't like the cliffhanger twist right at the end at all.  That said, this was a good season of television.  Some great jokes and comedic performances, surprisingly well-written characters from an emotional arc perspective.

Was it even a cliffhanger twist right at the end, when the season opened with the exact same scene?

The only thing we don't know is who the new killer is and what their motivation is, and who texted Martin & Martin to get out of the building.  We already knew everything was building towards the discovery of another body!

24 minutes ago, Jay said:

Was it even a cliffhanger twist right at the end, when the season opened with the exact same scene?

Sure, assuming one had remembered that stuff from the opener..... which I did not!  That was years ago!

But even if I had, I didn't think it worked as a season ender at all.

Would you have preferred the scene was removed from the opening and closing of the season, and just have this season end with them toasting on the roof and that's it?  Or would you have preferred a different cliffhanger?

g3pMVZpY4Pp20t1634127737.jpg

Maid. Miniseries on Netflix (10 episodes). Social drama (about a young mother who becomes homeless after she ran away from her abusive husband) that is not too heavy and that's going to win all the awards next year (especially Margaret Qualley, who you may remember from The Leftovers). Yes, it's mostly very good. My quibbles are minor.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Would you have preferred the scene was removed from the opening and closing of the season, and just have this season end with them toasting on the roof and that's it?  Or would you have preferred a different cliffhanger?

I don't know, I'm not a writer or producer of television!  I just know this left a bad taste in my mouth.