What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Not seen any of those talked about, but I do want to see SUCCESSION.

More BROOKLYN NINE-NINE, over the weekend. It's the one where Terry gets painted gold, and impersonates Gina's statue. Not sure if that was funnier than the eyebrows, but I enjoyed it.

image.png

Finally Succession S3.

Improved on the more laggard S2, though it felt somehow odd at the end of 2021 seeing the american media jet set running all over the world without face masks. Murdoch-ian patriarch Brian Cox owns this season (exquisitely King Lear-ish), and as in the last two seasons there's a VEEP-ian fun in the bitchy repartee, but there's also a more pronounced despair in the frantic gymnastics of the various 'meat puppets' angling for either the throne to Cox's crumbling media empire or at least a cusp of it. It even made me turn off my phone, just because everyone in it is so hooked on constant phone calls or incoming messages.

Though the finale leaves one intrigued for Season 4 - loud bells of fate for the Roy clan and their hanger-on's - at least i increasingly wished for one story strain or character development that would cut through the thick brick layer of cynical opportunism of everyone involved, which can get nauseating when you watch it all in one gulp (it's probably - and sadly - a rather acute portrayal of american money aristocracy). There's not one person in it you'd really want to meet, even for lunch.

Every season starts minute after the previous ended, so its still taking place in 2019

The election Connor wants to win will be the 2020 one

I'm glad most shows being made today take place in a world without covid, I don't want to see characters wearing masks and dealing with it - I watch TV to escape reality

17 hours ago, Positivatee said:

We know the world breaks free of Covid because it's never shown on Star Trek. 

Did they ever officially mention a specific event that triggered WW3?

8 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Did they ever officially mention a specific event that triggered WW3?

Not specifically. The various series cannot even agree on when it occurred. 

Space Seed mentions the Eugenics Wars as having occurred in the 1990s, but does not call it WW3. The aftermath of that episode is felt in some movies and few episodes later when discussing Khan and genetic engineering, but not the war itself. 

The First Contact movie firmly establishes WW3 in the middle of the 21st century, but doesn't mention the cause. 

Various other episodes describe the atrocities and genocide committed in this WW3 and the perpetrators (Colonel Green), but they are quite inconsistent in finer details. See Bread and Circuses, The Savage Curtain, In a Mirror Darkly, Judgment, and Encounter at Farpoint. 

It looks like the early writers flirted with the idea of a Sino-Western alliance that collapsed and sparked the war, but decided to leave it vague. If you paint too many details about who attacks who, you're going to offend the real world factions. The point of Star Trek was to make the aliens the bad guys instead of human factions.

1 hour ago, Positivatee said:

It looks like the early writers flirted with the idea of a Sino-Western alliance that collapsed and sparked the war, but decided to leave it vague. If you paint too many details about who attacks who, you're going to offend the real world factions. The point of Star Trek was to make the aliens the bad guys instead of human factions.

But I thought Trek's WW3 happened *before* Earth became quasi-Utopian? And that it very deliberately was meant to be caused by mankind at its most self-destructive - partly as way to have a catalyst of that sort that could be referred to without the implications of using an *actual* historic conflict.

53 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

But I thought Trek's WW3 happened *before* Earth became quasi-Utopian? And that it very deliberately was meant to be caused by mankind at its most self-destructive - partly as way to have a catalyst of that sort that could be referred to without the implications of using an *actual* historic conflict.

Yeah.  That part is not contradicted. 

The DS9 two parter Past Tense showed California in the decades before WW3. Definitely not utopian, at least not inside the fence. 

First Contact (film) showed a post-WW3 that was also definitely not utopia. 

So something happened between those episodes to trigger the WW3. It would have been human in origin because aside from small isolated alien/temporal incursions, the real official FC didn't occur until Zeke's flight. 

Earth is not even utopia during the time of the Enterprise TV show. It's getting close but is not there yet. Of course, the Xindi and evil Martian arcs really dial up the xenophobia. 

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

This thread is getting dangerously close to angering the mods... Better change subjects before it's too late.

It's discussing hypothetical science fiction. Keep your pants on. 

1 hour ago, publicist said:

Hydroxychloroquin?

That's not what T'Pol used to rub down Trip and cure him. 

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

So COVID may well be the cause of Trek's WW3. Khan & Co's genetic changes were probably triggered by you know what…

This is getting silly. 

20 hours ago, Positivatee said:

We know the world breaks free of Covid because it's never shown on Star Trek. 

See what you started. 

16628.w1024.77161b0.7782d76.q80.jpg

Finished it! I understand the positive reviews (100% on RT). And even though I'm not a fan of murder mysteries, it's without question a pleasant and likable show. Wouldn't mind a season 2. 

Succession season 3. 

Quite limp, a bit like Roman's dick, then.

The whole shtick of having a revelation in the season finale and ending it on a cliffhanger is getting tiresome now.

I binged the first two season earlier this year, and perhaps some of this season's problems were already present in those, but it still seems fresh back then and I thoroughly lapped it up. I still enjoyed season 3, but it's clear to me they need to tweak the formula.

Prior to the finale, there's barely any progress to character development and motivations. The whole revelation from the season 2 finale carried over for about 2-3 episodes and then just petered out. Let's not forget what a humongous revelation that was in the previous finale – not the kind you just drop the follow up after just a couple episodes.

Then you have the sibling rivalry, where one one of them seemingly does something that appears to be irreconcilable (or so what the characters seem to imply), but then a few episodes later everyone seems to be doing ok in a birthday party. Not OKAY per se, but certainly the animosity has dissipated somewhat. 

There's lots of such amnesiac episodes in season 3.

Spoiler

You get Kendall being gung-ho for half the season and then reverting to the depressed kid from much of season 2.

There's just lots of recycling and convenient loss of memory on the part of the writers. And at the end there comes yet another big twist. I wonder how much longer they can keep this up. 

7 minutes ago, Hurmm said:

Succession season 3. 

Quite limp, a bit like Roman's dick, then.

The whole shtick of having a revelation in the season finale and ending it on a cliffhanger is getting tiresome now.

I binged the first two season earlier this year, and perhaps some of this season's problems were already present in those, but it still seems fresh back then and I thoroughly lapped it up. I still enjoyed season 3, but it's clear to me they need to tweak the formula.

Prior to the finale, there's barely any progress to character development and motivations. The whole revelation from the season 2 finale carried over for about 2-3 episodes and then just petered out. Let's not forget what a humongous revelation that was in the previous finale – not the kind you just drop the follow up after just a couple episodes.

Then you have the sibling rivalry, where one one of them seemingly does something that appears to be irreconcilable (or so what the characters seem to imply), but then a few episodes later everyone seems to be doing ok in a birthday party. Not OKAY per se, but certainly the animosity has dissipated somewhat. 

There's lots of such amnesiac episodes in season 3.

Reveal hidden contents

There's just lots of recycling and convenient loss of memory on the part of the writers. And at the end there comes yet another big twist. I wonder how much longer they can keep this up. 

They say it won't go past 5 seasons and could end with Season 4.

5 minutes ago, Mephariel said:

They say it won't go past 5 seasons and could end with Season 4.

Yeah that makes sense. There's only so many times you can trot out threats of loan defaults, hostile takeovers, and mergers before it becomes too incredulous (and repetitive). 

Well, certainly has been a long time! I do love reading these lists... but I'm not going to read 396 pages of em lol.

Series I have watched in 2020 and 2021 that I thought were great:

Fargo S1 (have not started S2 yet)

Haunting of Hill House

Haunting of Bly Manor (yes I know alot didn't like it, but I found the slow burn of it to be great. The last two episodes ripped my heart out (much like ep 5 of HoHH). 

White Lotus (freakin great)

Tales From The Loop (still waiting/hoping for S2)

Better Call Saul

Mystic Quest (S1 was great. S2 has been difficult to get through)

Creepshow (on Shudder. S1 was a trod but S2 has been better. Have not seen S3 yet)

Lost in Space (S1 I really enjoyed the second time around. Have not seen S2 or 3)

Schitt's Creek (have watched this in it's entirety 3 times. I love it)

The Good Place (S1, part of S2) Funny and nice twists

Tiger King (S2) Yawn

Squid Game - Good but... dunno if I will continue S2 if it happens

Midnight Mass (Loved it. Yes, slow burn, but nice payoff)

The Sinner (S1 I liked. Have not seen S2)

Umbrella Academy (S1 and S2.. love it. 5 is funny as hell)

What We Do In The Shadows (S1-3) - Very funny. Love love love it

Dark (S1 and S2) have not started S3 yet, but it's been so long and it's such a confusing show, I think I will have to start it over.

Dead To Me (S1 and S2) looking forward to S3!

Ozark (S1-3) one of my fav shows. 

Don't Fuck With Cats (Hard to watch, but interesting true crime)

You (S1) loved it. Have not seen S2 or 3

LOcke and Key (s1) didn't care for it. Have not seen S2.

Defending Jackob (Enjoyable)

Invasion (Enjoyed)

Lisey's Story (lost interest after ep 2)

Ok guys, I need your advice.

I'm nearing the end of BROOKLYN NINE-NINE, and me and my friend are searching around for something to replace it. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

It needs to be a comedy, and each episode should last about half an hour (we've already seen TBBT, and Young Sheldon).

Ta, awfully! 

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I'm nearing the end of BROOKLYN NINE-NINE, and me and my friend are searching around for something to replace it. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

It needs to be a comedy, and each episode should last about half an hour (we've already seen TBBT, and Young Sheldon).

Ta, awfully! 

Schitt's Creek

The Good Place

New Girl

18 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Ta, awfully! 

The Office US

Parks and Recreation

The Good Place

Schitt's Creek

Wellington Paranormal 

What We Do In The Shadows

Miracle Workers

Ted Lasso

Oh Barry was fantastic. Can't wait for the 3rd season. It def has humor in it, but it is pretty dark at times.

But def Schitts Creek, The Good Place, What we do in the Shadows... those will make you laugh. Schitts Creek more towards the middle of S1 and into S2 is where it picks up. I found it quite boring the first few episodes. But as it progressed I absolutely loved it. Esp when love interests come about.

Curb Your Enthusiasm Season 11

After a bit of a rocky start, the season really found its leg in the second half, when Tracy Ullman joins the cast with a new character that consistently made every episode funnier.  The funniest episode though was one involving Bill Hader playing 3 roles, absolutely hilarious.  My wife and I have been saying "schplendid" ever since.

Overall, probably not the best season the show has released, but still among the funniest shows being made in the 2020s, so that's pretty, pretty, pretty good

BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES bluray

These look amazing.

It seems as if they were able to clean up the many episodes that suffered from dirty cells.

I guess they were able to accomplish this without going back to the original elements.

I always hoped this could be done but never believed it would happen!

Foundation S01

IMDB

It's a sprawling space opera. I liked it.

Good score also by Bear McCreary.

But one thing that bugged my sensibilities was that they had inconsistent logos for the title within the show and each epsiode. Very annoying. Who's in charge of branding? What's the train of thought here?

F977DCEE-AFC6-42A6-8198-10287CBDA261.jpeg

Foundation_series_logo-3.jpg

Hacks' Review: Jean Smart Shines as Aging Comedian - Variety

Hacks (Season 1)

Wow, one of the best finds of 2021 right here!  A true two-hander where the great Jean Smart and newcomer Hannah Einbinder vascillate between hatred and respect over the course of the season.  Smart is a legendary comedian with a residency in a Las Vegas resort whose tenure is about to end when the resort's owner (the also great Christopher MacDonald) wants to replace her show with a new one with more appeal to younger crowds.  Einbinder is a LA comedy writer who has recently lost her job after making offensive joke on twitter.  Their mutual manager sends Einbinder out to Vegas to help punch up Smart's act and the rest of the season unfolds from there.

The season is not only very funny, but also very good at storytelling, as various forms of friendship are formed, then broken, then reforged.  There are also a bunch of side character who also get interesting stories so the show never stays in one lane the whole time and has a lot going on.  Kaitlin Olson (Dee from Always Sunny) plays Smart's daughter and gets up to some pretty funny stuff; Their agent and his assistant are really funny too, and Laren Weedman shows up as the absurd mayor of Vegas too.

It's on HBO Max and has been renewed for a second season coming this year, catch up on the first one now!

On 27/12/2021 at 6:13 PM, bruce marshall said:

I'm watching an anthology CREEPSHOW which is exactly like the format of TALES FROM THE CRYPT.

C-list actors get a paycheck😅

Season one is first- rate#

Hope season three returns to form

8 hours ago, Jay said:

Hacks' Review: Jean Smart Shines as Aging Comedian - Variety

Hacks (Season 1)

Wow, one of the best finds of 2021 right here!  A true two-hander where the great Jean Smart and newcomer Hannah Einbinder vascillate between hatred and respect over the course of the season.  Smart is a legendary comedian with a residency in a Las Vegas resort whose tenure is about to end when the resort's owner (the also great Christopher MacDonald) wants to replace her show with a new one with more appeal to younger crowds.  Einbinder is a LA comedy writer who has recently lost her job after making offensive joke on twitter.  Their mutual manager sends Einbinder out to Vegas to help punch up Smart's act and the rest of the season unfolds from there.

The season is not only very funny, but also very good at storytelling, as various forms of friendship are formed, then broken, then reforged.  There are also a bunch of side character who also get interesting stories so the show never stays in one lane the whole time and has a lot going on.  Kaitlin Olson (Dee from Always Sunny) plays Smart's daughter and gets up to some pretty funny stuff; Their agent and his assistant are really funny too, and Laren Weedman shows up as the absurd mayor of Vegas too.

It's on HBO Max and has been renewed for a second season coming this year, catch up on the first one now!

Indeed one of the best show of the year. Amazing stuff.

Right!? It really surprised me. Like, I had heard all the buzz and figured I'd like it well enough, but it was really better than I was expecting. 

It wouldn't work without both Smart and Einbinder bringing their A games, and they both really do. And their whole personas and energy is so different from one another, so the juxtaposition really works. Plus, it's not a show where two characters are both competing against each other the whole time, it's so much better that they really both want the same thing but have different ideas about it. And the slow dive into their characters backgrounds is done well too, and of course the amount of other characters and their interesting stories really helps because if every scene had Smart and/or Einbinder it'd be too much.

Can't wait for season 2 - hopefully they can do more filming in Vegas this time