What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

1 hour ago, bruce marshall said:

Fun show.

The lead actor would make a great James Bond ( if they have the guts to cast ANOTHER Aussie.😉)

Screenshot_2022-03-10-22-04-11.png

MARE was awful!

But, don't go by me.

Go ahead and waste ten hours of your life!😉😝😄

Can I ask what you thought was awful. I'm 2 episodes in and I think it's terrific. Very strong. 

• 2 weeks later...

Awright, benders?

Having recently acquired the complete series box-set, at my local thrift store, I've been noshing my way through THE INBETWEENERS.

It's crass, rude, stupid, juvenile, purile, and very, very funny!

Sorted. Now...I'm off, to get me some clunge :)

As I previously pointed out in this thread, on no account have anything to do with the US remake. Sanitised, watered-down SHITE (I guess I shouldn't have been surprised ... in the past we've had the likes of the US Fawlty Towers remake with its Basil equivalent's sarcasm and rudeness gone, the Men Behaving Badly one which suffered a similar fate to The Inbetweeners and the proposed Red Dwarf one for which the US network wanted to change the likes of Lister being a layabout, Rimmer being unlikeable etc).  

17 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Thanks for the tip, Sweep. I'll stick with Neil, Jay, Will, and Simon.

Ps, I really fancy Will's mum :)

Ben Miller's ex, don't you know. Lucky sod. 

Key and Peele

The Complete SeriesScreenshot_2022-03-13-22-51-03.png

The first three seasons are comedy genius although i hate the live audience segments.

The next two seasons thankfully drop The audience .

Not as fresh, how could it be? Overeliance on movie parodies and recurring characters. Also, overly crude humour at times.

Peele is now a horror director and a good one!

10 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Yeah, I heard that, somewhere. Not such a lucky sod, if she's his ex :)

I last saw her in that awful Inbetweeners reunion thing on Channel 4. And she still looked utterly gorgeous there. She clearly gets better with age.

I was watching clips from the excellent Peter Serafinowicz Show last night and she seemed to pop in regularly.

Surreally funny stuff.

2 hours ago, LSH said:

I last saw her in that awful Inbetweeners reunion thing on Channel 4. And she still looked utterly gorgeous there. She clearly gets better with age.

I was watching clips from the excellent Peter Serafinowicz Show last night and she seemed to pop in regularly.

Surreally funny stuff.

Is it as surreal as JAM? Boy, that's weird, with a capital WE.

2 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

I was thinking of the years when they were together, when he doubtless 'rode her like a stolen bike'. Ahem.   

It was gash-a-rama in his house. I bet he got tons of clunge.

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Is it as surreal as JAM? Boy, that's weird, with a capital WE.

Anything with Chris Morris' name on it is a goer for me.

Same goes for Armando Iannucci. His sketch show from 2001 was some good surreal comedy. This is one of my favourite sketches ever...

1 hour ago, LSH said:

Same goes for Armando Iannucci. His sketch show from 2001 was some good surreal comedy. This is one of my favourite sketches ever...

Holy moly this is good! Thanks for the recommendation, surreal British comedy is my absolute jam. Didn’t realise that Iannucci did sketch comedy!

7 hours ago, LSH said:

Oh, I agree. THE DAY TODAY, is his masterpiece. "Attitudes Night" is funny as, and so is anything with Barbara Wintergreen.

Any love for BIG TRAIN?

Currently halfway through The Gilded Age.

If you like Downton Abbey, like I do, this is the show for you.

The setup is basicly the same as Downton but the execution is very different.

It's set in New York in the 19th century. There are a lot of characters and the cast therefor is uge.

The production is very high. The sets of the houses, streets and much more are on a very high level.

Costume design & cinematography are also very well done.

The music by the Gregson-Williams Brothers (As credited in the opening titles) is for both men some of the best work they've done. Orchestral & very classical. Great stuff.

I could start and try to explain all the storylines, but that would be impossible. There is a lot going on and the relationship between different people, race class is very interesting. The show is more inclusive and the story lines of Denee Benton's character are very strongly written.

My favourite characters and actors are Carrie Coon as Bertha Russel, Denee Benton as Peggy Scott, Cynthia Nixon as Ada Brook & Christine Baranski as Agnes van Rhijn.

Appearances from Audra McDonald, John Douglas Thomas & Nathan Lane are also very good.

I highly reccomend this show. At least watch the first episode and see if it is for you.

The wife watches it so I've caught bits and pieces. It is very Downton esque. And Carrie Coon is just good in anything she does. 

And yea, the score is good, way better than Downton's.  I'll listen to the score album. 

MARVELOUS MRS . MAISEL.

Things went downhill in season three. They brought in alot is sub-plots that were boring, not credible and shifted the focus away from the star. I

was so hoping the producers listened to these criticisms and would right the ship.

Oh boy!

Episode one was so jaw- dropping bad I have jumped ship. Along with most of the original fan base.

Looking at Amazon reviews, the whole season is just as bad.

Sad.

First two seasons were SO good.

Watched the first episode of Our Flag Means Death. It was pretty cute and I like the very diverse cast, but it was all a bit predictable and bland, lacking the edge I was hoping for. Great to see Rhys Darby in a leading role, I’ve always enjoyed his particular brand of comedy and he always adds a bit of idiosyncratic flavour to whatever he’s in. Don’t know if I’ll keep watching though, there wasn’t quite enough in it to keep me going, even with the promise of Taika Waititi as Blackbeard. 

19 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

MARVELOUS MRS . MAISEL.

Things went downhill in season three. They brought in alot is sub-ots that were boring, not credible and shifted the focus away from the star. I

was so hoping the producers listened to these criticisms and would right the ship.

Oh boy!

Episode one was so jaw- dropping bad I have jumped ship. Along with most of the original fan base.

Looking at Amazon reviews, the whole season is just as bad.

Sad.

First two seasons were SO good.

In S4, Midge is the villain of her own show. She victim shames the gay closeted black man for firing her, instead of realizing that by publicly outing a gay black man in 1960, she could kill him. The best characters are Suzy, Lenny Bruce, and Stephanie Hsu. Everyone else is meshugenah. 

Glad I'm not watching further than episode one😒.

I don't know why she didn't demand or sue to get the.money she was promised for the tour. It was clearly a breach of contract.

I hate the Suzy character and the actress who plays her.

I don't get why the producers think that her storyline is interesting.

Same with the husband and his night club.

Maisel is the reason we watch. Not Sophie Lennon or her ex- husband.

I loved the Lenny Bruce scenes.

The Shy Baldwin arc was good also until the contrived ending.

I'm done.

Even the promise of female nudity can't get me to stay with it.

That's how bad the first episode is!😜😅

3 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Even the promise of female nudity can't get me to stay with it.

That's how bad the first episode is!😜😅

In S4, Midge will work at a strip club. 

There is surprisingly very little nudity. 

1 hour ago, Positivatee said:

In S4, Midge will work at a strip club. 

There is surprisingly very little nudity. 

Midge flashed her magnificent bosom in season one but never again.

They kinda had to do it because a big part of her act was based on her figure

19 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

Watched the first episode of Our Flag Means Death. It was pretty cute and I like the very diverse cast, but it was all a bit predictable and bland, lacking the edge I was hoping for. Great to see Rhys Darby in a leading role, I’ve always enjoyed his particular brand of comedy and he always adds a bit of idiosyncratic flavour to whatever he’s in. Don’t know if I’ll keep watching though, there wasn’t quite enough in it to keep me going, even with the promise of Taika Waititi as Blackbeard. 

We just finished the first season this afternoon.  It eventually does get better after the first few episodes - the middle of the season really picks up and makes the exposition heavy early episodes worth it

Unfortunately, after those really good middle episodes, it gets bogged down with really weird writing - constantly changing character dynamics and weird plot and tone shifts - to end the season.  I hope they figure things out for a second season because the cast is fantastic

I liked all of Taika Waititi's previous shows that I've seen (What We Do In The Shadows, Wellington Paranormal), but found this inferior to both of those.

The cast and premise is great, if they can even out the writing for next season it could be a big hit

It's a joke that only makes sense if you watch Succession

The scene in question

Tom Eats Chicken GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

The 'Succession' Seven: Killing In The Name Of

On 22/03/2022 at 8:52 AM, JNHFan2000 said:

Currently halfway through The Gilded Age.

On 22/03/2022 at 12:23 PM, Jay said:

It is very Downton esque.

Finished S1 of The Gilded Age, it’s good, very good. Not quite as good as Downton, though. Downton has more depth, more layered characters and sharper dialogue.

That said, it’s still probably the best new series streaming right now.

Well, after finishing off both BROOKLYN NINE NINE (goofy, but fun), and THE RANCH (superb, in every way), me and my friend have decided to watch SCHITT'S CREEK.

It's a lot of fun, but it took us a while to get used to the underwritten, almost improvisational quality of the show.

It's good to see Chris Elliott, and, er...Stevie is nice, isn't she? :)

Lisey’s Story IMDB

I had heard good things about this. It’s produced by JJ Abrams, starring Julianne Moore and Clive Owen. But it drags and is not particularly scary.

White Lotus IMDB

A dark humored comedy, great cast starring Alexandra Daddario and Jennifer Coolidge, but things got weirder and weirder and it was a hard watch toward the last couple of episodes.

Servant IMDB

Produced and (among others) directed by M. Knight Shyamalan, this started out great. Creepy. Full of suspense. Great cast. A bit slow, a “slow burner” but at first you accept it, you write it up as to what kind of show it is. But the show really drags. I s add m at the end of S3 and my patience is worn out. Nothing happens! I doubt I’ll finish let alone come back for season 4 (which will be the last one).

Anybody else catch any of these shows?

Yea, I loved White Lotus!  One of my favorite shows of last year.  The whole cast was great and the comedy was terrific

I've watched the documentary about the footballer Aaron Hernandez.

I did'nt really understood why they put his "allegedly" bisexuality in the first plan (well, if a sportsman who had some sexual experiences with this teammates when he was in highschool, can be qualified as bi...).

OK, he's a murderer, but the main point is that this guy probably suffered the most severe case of chronic traumatic encephalopathy ever discovered in a person his age.

They drugged him before the games so he could perform despite his injuries and his "double life" was more about partying and smoking weed... This guy was fucked up.

He was an explosive guy, had bad influences-bad friends and he loved guns.

That's it.

The real drama is that nobody from his entourage tried to help him, nobody really knew him.  But every one wanted the millions he got from the NFL...

I really love those true crime series!!!

My Brilliant Friend Season 3

7254c25f-a5df-11ec-b07d-02b7b76bf47f.jpg

Certainly as good as Season 1 and maybe the best one so far. Now the long wait starts for the final chapter (season 4).