What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Westworld season 2. Am I stupid? Am I really asking too much when I want to watch a chronological story that makes sense? Not something that only makes sense for 50% even if you binge-watch the entire thing? Is it normal to have to consult a timeline on Wikipedia after watching something? The finale is drawing to a close and I'm meant to care, I think, but I just don't. Is my brain not working properly? Just give me Ed Harris in anything else.

On 12/04/2022 at 8:21 PM, AC1 said:

My Brilliant Friend Season 3

7254c25f-a5df-11ec-b07d-02b7b76bf47f.jpg

Certainly as good as Season 1 and maybe the best one so far. Now the long wait starts for the final chapter (season 4).

Rewatched S2 and watched S3 too. Still love it! The characters growing and organically integrating into the socio-economico-political landscape, the world in general expanding (all over the 3 seasons, growing more and more wide, detailed and colourful - works literally as in the Neighbourhood evolving and becoming more lived in, figuratively as in the characters growing past their origins, psychologically as in newer memories being more vibrant), more filmmaking tricks like Lenú's short flashbacks/visions, it all works great. I was surprised just how well the makeup/clothing/hair worked too, to make these youngsters be believable enough to be in their late 20s/early 30s.

I was glad that it wasn't all about Lila as a political activist (which I feared it would be) but I was very impressed with season's portrayal of Lenu's family life with her second-choice husband and giving up her ambitions. 

Only Murders In The Building 2x01 Persons of Interest

Pretty good, felt like the show just picked up right where it left off, no change in quality or anything.  Just as good as before!

I liked the Amy Schumer scene, and the new Cara Delivingne character seems like a nice addition to the cast.  Michael Rapaport as the grumbly cop was awesome as well!

For All Mankind: Season 1

p17603565_b_v12_ab.jpg

As a whole, not bad, certainly watchable, but I didn't like the finale (for the same reason why I didn't like Gravity or the second part of The Martian). Apparently Season 2 is better, we see ...

Only Murders In The Building 2x02 Framed

Woohoo, this was a ton of fun!  I love the added layers of mystery with Charles' father, Rose Cooper, the building across the street, and even Shirley Maclaine as Bunny's mother!

It was pretty funny how they lost the painting then it turned up in Amy Schumer's, who was funny again two weeks in a row (why isn't she always this funny?)  I really like the new Cara Delivigne character too, though on a show like this I suspect she is hiding some amount of secrets that will come out later!

Only Murders...:

Certainly still good. I'm not a Schumer fan and this is the kind of character (that Ben Stiller has bought his house with) that I can't stand. OTOH I've always run hot and cold on Martin Short and this show has made me a huge fan. He's SO good.

The Old Man:

Wow is this show good. And it's getting better. I love that there is a character who has pretty much come to the conclusion "I am NOT a part of this story so I don't have to play by your stupid rules and tropes." It starts out as a pretty standard (but good) take on a genre I like. And it's slowly growing into something more.

Strange New Worlds:

I've been waiting for this Star Trek for at least 35 years. If not longer.

Been watching episodes of the old 70s private detective series Cannon, starring the great William Conrad, on Youtube.  I'm halfway through season 1, great Quinn Martin show.

On 04/07/2022 at 3:52 PM, AC1 said:

For All Mankind: Season 1

p17603565_b_v12_ab.jpg

As a whole, not bad, certainly watchable, but I didn't like the finale (for the same reason why I didn't like Gravity or the second part of The Martian). Apparently Season 2 is better, we see ...

I'd never heard of this until now but, reading about it, it sounds right up my alley.

47 minutes ago, Jay said:

You watching season 2 of Only Murders In The Building, Stu?

A little behind because of vacation, but we watched episode 2 last night.  It's... ok so far.  Certainly not bad by any means, but certainly not exciting either.

Only Murders In The Building 2x03 The Last Day of Bunny Folger

I didn't know I wanted an entire episode dedicated to Bunny, but it turned out to be really good!  I doubt any of the info or clues here will have much bearing on the final reveal at the end of the season, but it was all nice character development and information regardless.  Even the bird's phrases got an explanation!  Fun stuff.  Hopefully we get Cara Delivigne next week though

12 hours ago, Jay said:

Only Murders In The Building 2x03 The Last Day of Bunny Folger

I didn't know I wanted an entire episode dedicated to Bunny, but it turned out to be really good!  I doubt any of the info or clues here will have much bearing on the final reveal at the end of the season, but it was all nice character development and information regardless.  Even the bird's phrases got an explanation!  Fun stuff.  Hopefully we get Cara Delivigne next week though

Yeah, great episode. I think the added members to the cast are all great. Delevigne, Schumer (Best I've seen her in a while) and MacLaine. God, is it great to see her again. At 88 she still steals every scene she's in. Her scene with the cheese was comedy gold. Hope she stays the entire season

Full list of Emmy noms:

https://variety.com/2022/tv/awards/emmys-nominations-list-2022-1235313788/

The most nominations:

Succession Season 3 - 25

The White Lotus Season 1 - 20

Ted Lasso Season 2 - 20

Hacks Season 2 - 17

Only Murders in the Building Season 1 - 17

Euphoria Season 2 - 16

Barry Season 3 - 14

Dopesick - 14

Severance Season 1 - 14

Squid Game Season 1 - 14

Ozark Season 4 - 13

Stranger Things Season 4A - 13

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel Season 4 - 12

Pam & Tommy - 10

Moon Knight Season 1 - 8

Abbot Elementary Season 1 - 7

Better Call Saul Season 5A - 7

Station Eleven - 7

What We Do In The Shadows Season 4 - 7

Yellowjackets Season 1 - 7

Only Murders In The Building 2x04 Here's Looking at You

Oh man, so many developments this week!  The secret tunnels, the return of Nathan Lane & son, the introduction of Lucy, the change in prime suspect, the return of Jan!  Whooo boy!!!  So, the killer has a dust allergy, perhaps...

AND OF COURSE THERE'S THIS

Spoiler

This season is a hoot!

It's so much fun. And I'm so glad that the show got so many Emmy nomination for it's 1st season. Really deserved.

I even think it could maybe win one for the music and Martin Short might win for Best Actor in a Comedy Series

On 12/7/2022 at 4:12 AM, AC1 said:

It's about what would have have happened if the space race between the USA and the USSR never ended. 

Episode one was intriguing if a bit off.

For instance, the scene where everybody in the bar knows the lyrics to " What Becomes of the Brokenhearted"!? 

These guys listened to country music , not soul music !

Im interested to see what 

happens next, as the historical part is finished.

what do others here think?

18 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Episode one was intriguing if a bit off.

For instance, the scene where everybody in the bar knows the lyrics to " What Becomes of the Brokenhearted"!? 

These guys listened to country music , not soul music !

Im interested to see what 

happens next, as the historical part is finished.

what do others here think?

I only discovered the series last week... I'm now all caught up.

I like it. It can get a bit soap opera at times - and some of the main characters are really quite unlikable - but I love space stuff and I love the idea behind it.

6 hours ago, LSH said:

I only discovered the series last week... I'm now all caught up.

I like it. It can get a bit soap opera at times -

An affliction that affects too many shows these days😒.

Even quality shows like THE AMERICANS, DEXTER and MAD MEN were seriously damaged by this trend.

I recently watched Marvel's Moon Knight, which I wasn't really planning to do (I've been Marvel-fatigued for a while now), but after hearing Hesham Nazih's wonderful theme for it on Dan Golding's (from Art of the Score) Screen Sounds show on ABC radio I thought I'd check it out. Glad I did! I can see why Oscar Isaac signed up for it, he is truly fantastic in it. Fun, thrilling, funny (Isaac's cockney London accent is something to behold), a little bit ridiculous, and heaped with adventurous Egyptology in the spirit of Raiders.

The writing around mental illness and trauma was handled surprisingly well; there's a few scenes in later episodes that were particularly affecting to me, absolutely nailed by Isaac. Ethan Hawke also brings a soft intensity to his role, and May Calamawy is a charismatic and compelling actor who I can't wait to see more of. Nazih's score is gorgeous: big, bombastic and romantic in all the right ways. And best of all is that it's a largely self-contained story that doesn't require enrolling in the University of Marvel to understand - in fact I don't think there was a single reference to the rest of the MCU in the entire thing. I recommend it to anyone who's on the fence. The production value alone is worth a look, and makes Obi-Wan look positively amateur in comparison. What's going on in Disney's budget department? I get that they probably still haven't recouped their cost from buying Lucasfilm but if anything deserved location shooting, good writing/directing and CGI and a large orchestra it was Obi-Wan. Maybe McGregor's fee ate up the budget?

I'm up to date on Only Murders in the Building. The first episode of this season reminded me what I don't find particularly appealing about this show which is the broad comedy style. The gags don't come often enough for the low hit rate of its jokes. But as the mystery deepens in subsequent episodes I was also reminded at how good this show is at pulling you in and zigging when you think it'll zag. It's nice to be back in this world.

I also just finished the penultimate episode of Barry season 3. Another show that is sometimes unappealing to me, but in the complete opposite way to Only Murders; the humour in Barry is absolutely top notch but I'm often thrown by the (literal) violent swings in tone when it gets intense, so I can't watch too many episodes in a row. On the whole it's great though, and I've really enjoyed the pace at which the show moves. Storylines are never drawn out longer than they need to, and despite the frequent absurdity it's refreshingly authentic in the way it draws its characters. Look forward to the finale!

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

Watched the first seven episodes of The Leftovers. That's a bit dour, isn't it?

Karol

I really liked the first season, but yes, the show seems to get a kick out of being depressive and gloomy and it only gets worse in the subsequent seasons. 

4 hours ago, crocodile said:

It does dour well. Later on it increasingly mixes it with very absurdist humour, but apparently I'm the only one who wasn't quite convinced by that. When it's good, it's really good.

Prehistoric Planet

Beautiful documentary and very interesting. The effects on the dinosaurs were great. You could really see that they actually excisted. That was so cool.

The funniest thing of the whole series is the part with the Carnotaur. That was hilarious. I'll never be able to unsee that or think that a Carnotaur is threatening. HAHAHA

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

It does dour well. Later on it increasingly mixes it with very absurdist humour, but apparently I'm the only one who wasn't quite convinced by that. When it's good, it's really good.

Strange, I guess I somehow missed the humor, or anything that would offer a counterweight to the dourness. 

8 hours ago, crocodile said:

Karol

I didn't make it past episode three!

5 hours ago, AC1 said:

I really liked the first season, but yes, the show seems to get a kick out of being depressive and gloomy and it only gets worse in the subsequent seasons. 

Worse?!?!😳

Dave wanted to watch the mandalorian.

Love the thievery of Conti's Rocky music.

17 hours ago, crocodile said:

Karol

Season 1 is quite dour. It took me a few attempts to get through it.

Every episode from Season 2 'til the end is marvellous though, and brings a wonderfully absurd sense of humour with it.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Any good? I'm about to cancel my AppleTV subscription because they don't have other shows as good as Severance. 

It's nothing major, certainly not as good as Severance which restored my faith in "the golden age of TV", but it's okay for when there's nothing else to watch. Why don't you try an episode? 

2 hours ago, AC1 said:

It's nothing major, certainly not as good as Severance which restored my faith in "the golden age of TV", but it's okay for when there's nothing else to watch. Why don't you try an episode? 

What is SEVERANCE about?

Thanks!

On 11/07/2022 at 10:55 PM, bruce marshall said:

Brief summary, please?

Thanks!

21 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

What is SEVERANCE about?

Thanks!

Google not working for you? 😂

Severance is phenomenal. It's a masterclass in mood, absurdity, and the texture of the mundane. The final episode is absolutely riveting, and probably one of the most excited I've been watching a show since the hazy early days of LOST.

Barry (Season 3 finale)

(Here be spoilers)

Spoiler

That was a really good episode. Light on the comedy - in fact there was only one joke in the whole thing, a blink-and-you'll miss it line from one of the police officers investigating Janice's death (it's a very funny line too). My gripes with this show's swings in tone were not here this time, because it's just wall-to-wall gripping drama. I'm very satisfied with Bill Hader's grasp on plot; he understands that it would have been beyond ridiculous to keep letting Barry get away with things for too long. His arrest at the end is simultaneously cathartic and tragic - wonderfully executed. Like Fuches, Barry keeps getting handed second chances (like being spared by his army friend) only to throw them away because he can't stop making the same mistakes. Gene's "redemption" has been compelling to watch and Henry Winkler really brings it this episode. The amount of times the characters on this show jump up and down the list from most to least sympathetic is astounding.

I was holding my breath throughout the entire scene with Sally's attack, it was incredibly difficult to watch knowing what her character has already been through. The deep trauma she has experienced has now only gotten worse, but so too have her own actions (in wanting to gaslight and terrorise Natalie). Her visceral anger as she violently beats the attacker to death was something to behold. So many complex layers going on - I can't wait to see where Sally goes from here.

Poor, poor Hank and Cristobal. The chilling sequence in Hank's prison cell as he sits helpless, listening as a panther brutally rip apart his friends. The monstrous and bizarre conversion therapy Cristobal endures at the hands of his wife. I really hope these two end up happy, but this show is very clear about the cycles of violence and as career criminals they're not exactly innocents themselves. One threat is neutralised only for another to take its place - and I don't think Cristobal's children are going to be happy with the state of things.

Thank god Better Call Saul is back, even if it's only for a few more weeks. I'm running out of good television to look forward to every week.

DICKENSIAN

BBC

Started off great.

The premise: Jacob Marley is murdered and Steven Rea investigates.

The suspects are all characters from Dickens novels.

Sadly, half- way through, the mystery takes a back seat to endless scenes of romantic melodrama and irritating and repetitive " characters"; virtually all are horrible people.