What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

4 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

Severance is phenomenal. It's a masterclass in mood, absurdity, and the texture of the mundane. The final episode is absolutely riveting, and probably one of the most excited I've been watching a show since the hazy early days of LOST.

Barry (Season 3 finale)

(Here be spoilers)

Hide contents

That was a really good episode. Light on the comedy - in fact there was only one joke in the whole thing, a blink-and-you'll miss it line from one of the police officers investigating Janice's death (it's a very funny line too). My gripes with this show's swings in tone were not here this time, because it's just wall-to-wall gripping drama. I'm very satisfied with Bill Hader's grasp on plot; he understands that it would have been beyond ridiculous to keep letting Barry get away with things for too long. His arrest at the end is simultaneously cathartic and tragic - wonderfully executed. Like Fuches, Barry keeps getting handed second chances (like being spared by his army friend) only to throw them away because he can't stop making the same mistakes. Gene's "redemption" has been compelling to watch and Henry Winkler really brings it this episode. The amount of times the characters on this show jump up and down the list from most to least sympathetic is astounding.

I was holding my breath throughout the entire scene with Sally's attack, it was incredibly difficult to watch knowing what her character has already been through. The deep trauma she has experienced has now only gotten worse, but so too have her own actions (in wanting to gaslight and terrorise Natalie). Her visceral anger as she violently beats the attacker to death was something to behold. So many complex layers going on - I can't wait to see where Sally goes from here.

Poor, poor Hank and Cristobal. The chilling sequence in Hank's prison cell as he sits helpless, listening as a panther brutally rip apart his friends. The monstrous and bizarre conversion therapy Cristobal endures at the hands of his wife. I really hope these two end up happy, but this show is very clear about the cycles of violence and as career criminals they're not exactly innocents themselves. One threat is neutralised only for another to take its place - and I don't think Cristobal's children are going to be happy with the state of things.

Thank god Better Call Saul is back, even if it's only for a few more weeks. I'm running out of good television to look forward to every week.

I'm so glad I keep hearing good things from all of the 3 series. They're my next 3 on my watchlist. I just have to finish Ozark first.

Can't wait to start on Severance!!

The Leftovers...halfway through season 2. It is a very interesting show, certainly very Lindelof-ian. I'm not sure if it's great but there's definitely intriguing stuff in there. I noticed a certain shift in tone though and not sure yet whether that is a good thing or a bad thing.

Karol

Only Murders in the Building 2x05 The Tell

I love that this show will have flashbacks to the past and basically just put obviously 70-somethings Martin & Short in wigs and that's that :lol: The finding of the matchbook was odd, I assume the killer listens to their podcast and knew they found the tunnels, so planted it there, and don't know why the characters didn't think of that.  The theory that Alice could be the killer was obviously not going to pan out but it led to good character development; I kind of hope Alice sticks around on the show and isn't just a 1-season character?  I wonder how many more episodes until it's revealed the guy in the diner wasn't the real killer either.  Now sure how I feel about Jan being back... Amy Ryan is great but I hope they have more in mind for her to do.  Right now I'd say Lucy was a way more interesting character than more Jan.  The fact that Nathan Lane is the father of Will is bonkers!

10 hours ago, Jay said:

Only Murders in the Building 2x05 The Tell

I love that this show will have flashbacks to the past and basically just put obviously 70-somethings Martin & Short in wigs and that's that :lol: The finding of the matchbook was odd, I assume the killer listens to their podcast and knew they found the tunnels, so planted it there, and don't know why the characters didn't think of that.  The theory that Alice could be the killer was obviously not going to pan out but it led to good character development; I kind of hope Alice sticks around on the show and isn't just a 1-season character?  I wonder how many more episodes until it's revealed the guy in the diner wasn't the real killer either.  Now sure how I feel about Jan being back... Amy Ryan is great but I hope they have more in mind for her to do.  Right now I'd say Lucy was a way more interesting character than more Jan.  The fact that Nathan Lane is the father of Will is bonkers!

Indeed the reveal about Nathan Lane being the father of Will was incredible.

Cara Delevinge is really good on the show and her chemistry with Gomez is great.

I loved the moment when the party switched to '70's and everybody was dressed in that style. It was incredible. And the moment where Delevinge, Gomez & Short were the only ones left in the game and they kept cutting between the '70's & present day clothing etc was really cool.

I just love this show soo much. It shows that even though Hulu (Star on Disney+) is not one of the biggest streaming services it has some of the best content with this and The Orville. And for both shows I can't wait for the score release!

Oh yea, that party scene and the cutting between eras was great

For more good stuff on Hulu, check out The Great, Fargo, and What We Do In The Shadows

Well, good JWfaner, I'm needing your help.

After finishing SCHITT'S CREEK (what a delightful little show), me and my friend are needing something to watch.

We have worked our way through THE BIG BANG THEORY (so-so), BROOKLYN NINE-NINE (zany, but fun), THE RANCH (fucking brilliant!), and now the aforementioned programme.

We are looking for a comedy show that is about 30 minutes in length, per episode.

Any suggestions?

On 18/07/2022 at 5:45 PM, Brónach said:

the second season of Primal is almost here! something has worked out! hurrah!

Primal is one of those special shows that I know would appeal to kids. Dinosaurs! Cavemen! Action! 

Then the one dinosaur rips another dinosaur into pieces and sprays blood all over the caveman. 

Nope. This is adult stuff. And it's glorious. 

The wife and I have been working our way through ABC's crime drama Big Sky, which was created by David E Kelley. It's not bad, but not really great either. The villains are generally far more interesting than the good guys (two headstrong female private eyes and a bunch of male cop/PI types who mostly just get pushed around by them), but the show's characters don't quite have the quirkiness you'd expect from a Kelley series. A lot happens in this show--so much so that you quickly start to roll your eyes at the plausibility of all the damn coincidences that crop up for these characters. (A couple of the twists are neat, though.) We're almost halfway through season 2 and we both have thrown up our hands at all the "they-look-dead-but-aren't-really" moments. Maybe this show would work better if they didn't need to fill up a dozen and a half episodes each season; ten episodes would work great for this premise. 

Having said that, John Carroll Lynch is in this and he's great. So is Janina Gavankar as Ren. I'll also note that this show is big on its socially progressive bona fides. The gay teenage couple strikes me as token pandering, but Jesse James Keitel's trans character is well written and given some decent development, which is more than I can say for the two female leads.

On 19/7/2022 at 8:55 AM, crocodile said:

The Leftovers...halfway through season 2. It is a very interesting show, certainly very Lindelof-ian. I'm not sure if it's great but there's definitely intriguing stuff in there. I noticed a certain shift in tone though and not sure yet whether that is a good thing or a bad thing.

Karol

It’s Top 3 for me. I oscillate on whether I like LOST more or this. 

Well, I finished season 3 last night. It was a really strong ending actually. The show was mostly very good, although some of it frustrated me a bit. It's interesting to see something that connected with both Lost and Watchmen. If anything, Lindelof belongs on small screen. 

Karol

4 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

It’s Top 3 for me. I oscillate on whether I like LOST more or this. 

Koray's Top 3 TV Shows:

1) Lindelof's Lost

2) Lindelof's The Leftovers

3) Lindelof's Watchmen

Koray's most anticipated TV Show:

1) Lindelof's Mrs. Davis

The Old Man.

All the episodes are out. On the one hand I was hoping for a self contained season. It's not at all. But OTOH it's been picked up for a second season. So stay in good health, guys.

Bridges is amazing. Lithgow is amazing. It's slow but IMHO it's gripping. All the supporting players are up to the challenge that the leads throw down.

Only Murders In The Building 2x6

Another great episode.

It was fun to see Tina Fey again. She's great.

The scene with her and her assistant were very well done. I like that each episode focuses on the main trio and always add another character to give more depth to. Great storytelling.

I thought Short's performance in this episode was very strong. The way he was nervous all the time about the DNA test and the scene with him and Martin at the end were beautiful.

Steve Martin has a bit less to do this weekend. But seeing Jane Lynch again was great. Her scene with Amy Ryan at the end in prison was very funny.

Selena Gomez was the best this episode I think. The last moments of her walking in on the project of Delevigne's character was actually quite shocking. And Gomez handled the scene perfectly. And then the moment on the train was terrific. I was genuinely on the edge of my seat when she saw that there was someone covered in paint and glitter.

Then her stabbing him was insane. Can't wait to see where it's going

FOR ALL MANKIND

Thru three episodes.

It sometimes slips into

soap opera but then rebounds with excellent scenes such as when Von Braun testifies before Congess about his Nazi past.

And, I.love the Nixon ' tapes'.

I'm sticking with.this and abandoning WESTWORLD - for now.

Good idea.

BTW, not that I'm disagreeing, but define 'soap' for me. Everything that is about people and isn't action or suspense?

The Woman in the House Across the Street from the Girl in the Window

OMG, how bad is this? I get it (I think) - any show with a title like that it’s not meant to be taken seriously, but at the same time they play it too straight through the entire thing, so it’s not a spoof either. Whatever they were going for, they missed the mark by a mile.

It’s not funny. It doesn’t feel sarcastic. It’s not scary. It’s just stupid.

I think they wrote and recorded this in all earnestness - to be a serious show - but someone at the top realized that the end result just didn’t hold up so marketing stepped in in the last minute to try to “save” it - hence the title. Maybe the “funny” title was a last minute decision to try to get viewers to lower their expectations, but it doesn’t rhyme with the content of the show.

18 hours ago, AC1 said:

Good idea.

BTW, not that I'm disagreeing, but define 'soap' for me. Everything that is about people and isn't action or suspense?

you better not disagree with me!

No.

DOmestic scenes where wife whines about husband never being there, philandering etc.

the staple of soap opera

6 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

No.

DOmestic scenes where wife whines about husband never being there, philandering etc.

So it is soap when it is about people?! You think astronauts shouldn't have wives or husbands, or a home, domestic problems, or children ... or it's a soap opera? Interesting. 

28 minutes ago, AC1 said:

So it is about people! You think astronauts shouldn't have wives or husbands, or a home, domestic problems, or children ... or it's a soap opera. Interesting. 

Not.

Gonna.

Take.

Bait.

😉

Only Murders In The Building 2x06 Performance Review

Wow!  Another super fun episode with more unexpected returning characters, this show really knows how to please its fans.  And more interesting new mysteries as well - I'm intrigued by what the hell Alice was up to re-creating Bunny's murder, and who the hell the person is that took the fake evidence out of the trash.  The new dude from Mabel's past is interesting, and the Jan scenes are still very good

On 27/07/2022 at 2:37 PM, JNHFan2000 said:

Her scene with Meg Ryan at the end in prison was very funny.

Meg Ryan??

Meg Ryan!?!?!?

That's Jane Lynch........

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Meg Ryan??

Meg Ryan!?!?!?

That's Jane Lynch........

I'm sorry. I mean Amy Ryan. Got confused.

Jane Lynch's scene with Amy Ryan was funny.

Oh lol I misread your post

I felt sad for Martin Short that he's getting a DNA test instead of confronting Teddy...

The Old Man Episode 1

More or less the same premise as Bourne but this time the special agent is 'old'. Don't worry, the action or fight scenes are very intense and a lot more realistic (less choreographed) than Bourne. Acting (Bridges, Lithgow), writing, style and direction are pretty good too. Will continue with this. 

Spoiler

"Do you recognize me now?" 

p22067995_b_h9_aa.jpg

Only Murders In The Building 2x07.

Another great episode.

In season 1 it sometimes felt like the Martin & Short show, and I'm really glad that Gomez gets a lot to do. She is great and the flashbacks with her father were really beautiful. They hit hard for me, because my dad has cancer as well, and this was handled in a way that was very relatable. And the way that she has blackouts of memories or events that are to painful or just 'too much' is a great thing. And something that quite a lot of people have in real life. So that was great to see.

I sooo want to know who that person is that stole her bag. I was kinda angry when they didn't show his face in the locker room, but it makes sense that we don't get to see him yet. And I honestly have no idea who it is at the moment.

There is some part of me that actually think it's Tim Kono, but I would know how they do that. It could also be Oscar Torres, which surprisingly whe haven't seen yet.

Short & Martin's scene with the detective were comedy gold and very well done.

I am so invested in this show and can't wait to see where it's going.

Episode 5 of The Sandman is maybe the best hour of television this year. Incredible!

David Thewlis is a powerhouse.

And episode 6 is one of the saddest things I've ever watched. Korby Howell-Baptiste as Death was gorgeous. The writing was perfect I feel. To not have Death as someome evil of malevolent, but kind, friendly & wonderful is a beautiful thing.

I love the whole show.

I just finished Severance. :o

Oh wow. This is one the best (and crazy original) things I've seen in ages. Practically binged the stuff over two evenings.

More of this please!

Just begun watching Netflix' The Sandman.

I read the comic book series some eight years ago, so it was pretty nostalgic to me. The pilot was decent aside from some dodgy CGI, I hope it'll be a nice adaptation. 

5 hours ago, LSH said:

I just finished Severance. :o

Oh wow. This is one the best (and crazy original) things I've seen in ages. Practically binged the stuff over two evenings.

More of this please!

Yep, probably the best thing this year.