What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Only Murders In The Building 2x07 Flipping the Pieces

I keep being surprised by how little they use Cara Delevingne in this show; I feel like she's only been in half the episodes this season despite supposedly being a part of the main cast.  I thought for sure we'd learn a lot about her this week after the cliffhanger last week but... nope!

I did like getting to learn more about Mabel though, I guess I hadn't realized how much there is about her that is still unexplored.  It was interesting seeing her childhood and how young she was when her father died, but there's still so much more to fill in as the series goes on.  

They're really making a super huge deal out of this matchbook over many episodes now, I hope all the attention pays off.  I have no clue who the Coney Island guy who got glitterbombed could be or his connection to everything going on, but I suppose the picture of Lucy he had is a big clue.  The blackout at the end... could be fun!

On 02/08/2022 at 4:33 AM, JNHFan2000 said:

Short & Martin's scene with the detective were comedy gold and very well done.

Oh yea I forgot to mention that, really funny stuff!

I wonder what she will learn from the knife.  Probably something that we be revealed in the last 10 seconds of the next episode

Only Murders In The Building - 2x8. Hello Darkness

Another great episode.

Some wonderful character moments for Howard Morris, Marv & Lester.

The whole black out was a nice backdrop for the episode and gives it a different spin than previous ones.

The whole Lucy storyline is interesting and I'm soo angry we aren't really given any clues to who the killer is.

I don't think it's the cop, although he has the glitter on him and has a painful shoulder. It would be to obvious for him to be it, with 2 more episodes to go.

The Sound Of Silence bit was very funny I thought. And Martin Short was on fire again this episode. He is soooo funny. I actually hope he wins the Emmy for the first season. He really deserves it.

Siddhartha Kohsla's music remains top notch. And I'm still amazed how he gets to many different emotions out of basicly one or 2 themes. He breaks them down, uses different instrumentation. Great stuff.

I feel like a lot will happen in the last 2 episodes, and I'm so excited right now.

With this, Westworld, The Orville, just finishing Severance & The Sand Man 2022 is another terrific year for tv.

44 minutes ago, rough cut said:

The Sandman

Is nobody watching this??? I am about halfway through (episode 4 out of 10) and it’s really damn good!

I have seen the entire season.

Haven't really posted about it, because I'm still kind of processing it.

Episodes 5 was brilliant. And one of the best things I've seen this year.

Episode 6 is one of the saddest things I've ever seen. But the whole episode is just amazing.

Besides that the whole series is terrific. One of the best series of the year

2 hours ago, rough cut said:

The Sandman

Is nobody watching this??? I am about halfway through (episode 4 out of 10) and it’s really damn good!

I've seen the first episode so far. Wasn't blown away by it, but I liked it, and look forward to the rest. I've read (and seen) my share of Gaimans over the years, and liked a lot of it, but I'm still entirely unfamiliar with Sandman except for the episode I've watched now. The lifelong fans seem to be full of praise though.

We saw 5 minutes of it and didn't like it (cliché voiceover, too darkly lit, warped aspect ratio, bad CGI). Then again, we don't like any Fantasy show on Netflix or Prime. 

I’ve read two of Gaiman’s books (Coraline and Fragile Things) and they’ve been fine, but I also had no relation to The Sandman prior to watching this. What a thrill to watch something that isn’t part of a damn franchise!!! And it’s brilliant to boot! 

Finished The Old Man S1

73857e8e-f36f-46ef-b317-faa60df7734e.jpe

Not bad but ultimately a little bit too shatty, which made me sometimes drift away to other places. Loved the very realistic action sequences but there simply wasn't enough of it. S1 ends rather abruptly. I expected one more episode (a genuine finale).

10 hours ago, rough cut said:

What a thrill to watch something that isn’t part of a damn franchise!!!

Well... There are like 70 something issues, various spin offs, and has sources in common with both Lucifer AND Constantine.

Maybe that's why I've always hated the term "franchise" rather than just "series".

Just now, Naïve Old Fart said:

Snooty?

Snotty.

4 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I've not seen LUCIFER, but I've heard that it's good.

absolutely love the film of CONSTATINE!

Neither of these are what you would call "faithful adaptations". My wife loves the Lucifer show. My brother loved Constantine.

I was a huge fan of Hellblazer so I had some trouble getting past the Keanu-ness of it all. I should watch it at some point.

I'll start Sandman at lunch today.

20 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Neither of these are what you would call "faithful adaptations". My wife loves the Lucifer show. My brother loved Constantine.

I was a huge fan of Hellblazer so I had some trouble getting past the Keanu-ness of it all. I should watch it at some point.

I'll start Sandman at lunch today.

I like the radio adaptation of NEVERWHERE, especially as it features one of my all-time favourite actors. I also liked GOOD OMENS, and I'm looking forward to the second series.

If you like gothic, try the TV adaptation of GORMENGHAST.

39 minutes ago, Stu said:

ROTFLMAO

Seriously?

I started to watch Pennyworth and liked it a lot. He's terrific. But the bad guys were SO gross it was hard to get into that part. Maybe I'll start watching again.

59 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I also liked GOOD OMENS, and I'm looking forward to the second series.

I adored Good Omens. Loved the book, loved the show. A little nervous about Neil picking up again by himself.

On 09/08/2022 at 11:52 PM, JoeinAR said:

David wanted to check out the new "gay" series Uncoupled. It might be the worst show I have ever seen.

Agreed. Made it three episodes in before I gave up, I couldn't stand it. Once I found out it was from the creator of Sex and the City it all made sense though. All the jokes were so dated; they would've been cutting-edge in 2001 but not in 2022. The worst part is that all of the references and depictions of sex are so clinical and puritan, but the show acts as if it's the raunchiest thing in the world. Bizarre. The entire premise of this show was done much earlier, much better and with much more fun when Russell T Davies made Cucumber. Check that out instead.

On 09/08/2022 at 9:09 AM, Jay said:

Why did you put "gay" in quotes?

Because it's a series with at least two "gays". 

Marsha Gay Harden never fails to deliver. Best part of the show.

Anyone can watch but it's not for anyone. 

15 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I've not seen CUCUMBER, but I like QUEER AS FOLK.

Cucumber is a spiritual sequel to QAF, it’s a story about middle-aged gay men in the years after their sexually charged party days are over. It’s got all the hallmarks of RTD; biting humour, raunchy jokes bordering on obscene, and absolutely harrowing tonal shifts from hilarious and awkward to completely devastating. Plus the characters are equal parts endearing and frustrating. I really liked it.

There was two companion series to go with it, Banana which is an anthology format, a bit lighter and featuring a younger queer cast, and Tofu which is a documentary series. All three are about queer sex, with their names referring to the distinct states of the penis’ hardness. Worth the watch while being flawed and a bit rough around the edges; I kind of see all three as RTD working through many of his feelings about sex that he would later encapsulate perfectly in the exquisite It’s A Sin.

I've tried RTD's non-Who work a few times over the years, and it is just not for me.  Now if you wanna talk Moffat, not a week goes by that my wife and I aren't referencing some bit from Coupling (the most common is the "where are you going?" bit).  Classic sitcom where Moffat dared to ask: "What if Friends was good?"

Dracula had the smell of a stinker so I avoided it.  I need to get around to Time Traveler's Wife, I'm on an HBO break at the moment.  I'll re-sub when there's a build-up of shows I'm interested in.

I do wish Moffat would try his hand at a straightforward comedy again.

Dracula was a hot mess. Excellent first two episodes and an absolute trainwreck of a third (but I still quite enjoyed it). Dolly Wells was a revelation as Van Helsing.

I can't wait for Moffat's new mini-series drama Inside Man. David Tennant, Stanley Tucci and Dolly Wells - what a combination.

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

I'm rather upset about Time Traveler's Wife being cancled. 

Cancelled? I haven't even started watching it yet!

1 hour ago, Stu said:

I've tried RTD's non-Who work a few times over the years, and it is just not for me.  Now if you wanna talk Moffat, not a week goes by that my wife and I aren't referencing some bit from Coupling (the most common is the "where are you going?" bit).  Classic sitcom where Moffat dared to ask: "What if Friends was good?"

I like Friends (a lot, actually). But Coupling is of course the best sitcom series ever made.

58 minutes ago, Stu said:

I do wish Moffat would try his hand at a straightforward comedy again.

Oh yes.

53 minutes ago, Jay said:

Coupling is great! 

And I will die on the hill that the US remake was also very good

I've only seen the first episode of the US version, and that was horrible. Knowing the original so well, I almost knew it by heart, and the US version was almost exactly the same, but dragged out to a longer running time (iirc), and with such lousy timing that every single joke (that I can still laugh about in the original, even after seeing it so many times) fell flat, despite some (elsewhere) good actors.

8 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

Dracula was a hot mess. Excellent first two episodes and an absolute trainwreck of a third (but I still quite enjoyed it). 

Agreed, though the last episode was redeemed for me by its sumptuous ending. 

17 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I've only seen the first episode of the US version, and that was horrible. Knowing the original so well, I almost knew it by heart, and the US version was almost exactly the same, but dragged out to a longer running time (iirc), and with such lousy timing that every single joke (that I can still laugh about in the original, even after seeing it so many times) fell flat, despite some (elsewhere) good actors.

Oh absolutely - the first couple of episodes were terrible, because they re-used original scripts and all the same scenarios we've already seen and jokes we're already heard were played by new actors doing a worse job at all of that then the originals.  The show finds its footing after that when they stop remaking old scrips and write new ones that play to this cast's strengths, and the character begin to differentiate themselves from their UK counterparts.

It's much like how on The Office, Michael Scott was eventually nothing like David Brent, Jim was eventually nothing like Tim, Dwight was eventually nothing like Gareth, etc etc, even though the pilot they were all characterized the same as the original's pilot.

Of course it's impossible to find now and it still won't blow your mind or anything, but I think it got a bad rap because the first couple episodes were so weaker retreads, NBC only aired 4 of the 10 they shot, and anyone who viewed it couldn't help but compare it to Friends, which was at the height of its popularity at the time

Only Murders In The Building 2x08 Hello, Darkness

Another good episode (they're all good!)  I liked the podcast fan's theory about there being a "6th Avenue Killer"; an actual serial killer operating in New York City is exactly what a show like this needs to justify season after season worth of content.  I wonder if he's right!

I liked Lester and Nina bonding, and Howard's new love interest.  I am sure Michael Rapaport is not the killer and it's yet another red herring

Sandman episode 2. Wow.

For one thing I had completely forgotten about Cain and Abel. So I had no idea how great this would be. And the fellow they have playing Dream is remarkably perfect.

Star_Trek_50_Savage_Curtain_pic3.jpg

In season 3, every alien planet has the exact same rocks? On a positive note, this episode (the Abraham Lincoln one) was one of the rare instances where Kirk didn't fall head over heels in love with a beautiful woman.

7 hours ago, AC1 said:

Star_Trek_50_Savage_Curtain_pic3.jpg

In season 3, every alien planet has the exact same rocks? On a positive note, this episode (the Abraham Lincoln one) was one of the rare instances where Kirk didn't fall head over heels in love with a beautiful woman.

And by "rare" you mean 60+ episodes?

I was actually thinking about watching this one the other day.

There’s a terrific episode of Star Trek Continues  where Kirk has to reconcile with fallout from all his romances.  It’s pretty good in a fan service way. 

If you are making your way through Season 3, I can’t recommend this fan show enough as a follow up. 

13 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

And by "rare" you mean 60+ episodes?

By rare I mean this might be the first episode of S3 where Kirk doesn't have the hots for some woman. No wonder, look at her!

download.jpg

This tells us Kirk is picky!

If he had more time in the episode, he would’ve struck something up in the Animated Series with a similar character.  There was a spark between them. EDE082A0-466F-4450-B60F-3FA71E6D1235.webp

1 hour ago, Andy said:

If he had more time in the episode, he would’ve struck something up in the Animated Series with a similar character.  There was a spark between them.

But he already had a lot of green memories.

Only Murders In The Building 2x9 - Sparring Partners

WOW! I'm repeating myself here but this show is just amazing!!!!

I feel like they topped themselves this week yet again. There were so many standout moments.

Obviously spoilers from here on out.

- Oliver & Teddy fight in the elevator + their conversation later was really great. I honestly thought that Oliver was telling the truth when he said he really was Will's son. But the moment he attacked Teddy in the elevator I knew he lied. And it was actually heartbroken to see. The conversation between them about how how their sons are the only things left in this world was really beautiful and I'm glad that Teddy & Oliver are ok. And as always Nathan Lane is superb.

- Great to see Cara Delevinge again, although very briefly. Her character is very interesting and I do hope we get to see more of her. This is best I've ever seen her.

- And how amazing to see Shirley MacClaine back. The moment Charles was on the phone with the care home I knew she wasn't Bunny's mother but Rose Cooper. Her scenes with Steve Martin were very tender and beautiful. It was great to see them connect over his father in this way. And the moment the second painting was revealed Steve Martin broke my heart. His reaction was just beautiful and I could really feel that he still misses his father. Wonderful stuff.

Now as for the BIG reveals in the episode.

Krepps is not the killer I think, he just fell in love with the wrong woman. In the opening of the episode I thought he was in love with Bunny, but when it was revealed that it was Cinda, that makes so much sense. He's te reason she is able to crack all those cases, because she uses him as an insider.

Then the reveal that Poppy is in fact Becky Butler. That was a shock! I did not see that coming. Great great stuff.

I honestly don't know who the killer is at this point.

I maybe she Cinda & Krepps working together, but with this reveal that might be a bit on the nose. There is something that Bunny knew, and that is the reason she had to die. Is it that she knew Poppy was Becky or was it something else.

At this moment one of the following could be the killer:

Cinda, Krepps, Poppy/Becky, Howard. Maybe Ursula for some reason and long shots are Alice & Oscar.

I can't wait for next week. SOOO Exited. 

Only Murders In The Building 2x09 Sparring Partners

Good stuff all around this week, but boy it feels like there is a LOT of open questions and loose ends to wrap up next week!

It was good to see Shirley Maclaine again and I should have seen it coming that she was lying the first time and she's really Rose Cooper - d'oh!  The real painting underneath the other one was sweet.  It was also sweet that Oliver and Teddy agreed to keep Will's real parentage from him.  It was nice to see Cara Delevingne again, she's really been a good character who fit in well with the rest of the this season and I don't really get why they've underused her so much. Hopefully she has a bigger role in next week's finale, though you have to wonder if she planted evidence or did something in the secret passage when she was in Mabel's bathroom...

Speaking of Mabel, I really liked her scenes with Michael Rapaport!  She was extremely sexy in her boxing getup, and the verbal sparring they were doing was nicely juxtaposed with the actual sparring.  The revelations about him, Oklahoma, Cinda Canning, and Becky Butler were pretty crazy and unpredictable!

I think what's happening is:

Spoiler

Kreps is Glitter Guy, but he didn't kill Bunny; he's been sneaking around the building to find out what our heroes know, to make Cinda's podcast better.  In the past, he planted evidence to convict the wrong guy in Becky Butler's murder so her podcast would have a better ending.

I think whoever killed Bunny is unrelated to all this podcast stuff, she's just trying to profit off it.  But I have no idea who killed Bunny.

We also don't know who she was having lunch with at the diner that day, or why she gave the waiter such a large tip.

We also don't know who made the copy of the original painting for Bunny (Alice?)

Why Bunny said 14 Savage to Mabel?

Really looking forward to the finale!

On 16/08/2022 at 3:51 AM, JNHFan2000 said:

- Oliver & Teddy fight in the elevator + their conversation later was really great. I honestly thought that Oliver was telling the truth when he said he really was Will's son. But the moment he attacked Teddy in the elevator I knew he lied. And it was actually heartbroken to see. The conversation between them about how how their sons are the only things left in this world was really beautiful and I'm glad that Teddy & Oliver are ok. And as always Nathan Lane is superb.

Agreed all around!

- Great to see Cara Delevinge again, although very briefly. Her character is very interesting and I do hope we get to see more of her. This is best I've ever seen her.

Totally agreed.  I hope she plays a big role in the finale and comes back in season 3 (with more to do)

I honestly don't know who the killer is at this point.

I maybe she Cinda & Krepps working together, but with this reveal that might be a bit on the nose. There is something that Bunny knew, and that is the reason she had to die. Is it that she knew Poppy was Becky or was it something else.

Oh man, I can't imagine Bunny is related to the Poppy/Becky stuff at all, but I suppose it's possible!

I can't wait for next week. SOOO Exited. 

Do you think we'll finally see Paul Rudd next week?  If not, I guess his role was cut?

10 hours ago, Jay said:

Do you think we'll finally see Paul Rudd next week?  If not, I guess his role was cut?

I've never seen this before. Maybe he is the killer. Or he is the guy that got blamed for Becky's murder? Or he is her father and Cinda's ex. This is interesting.

10 hours ago, Jay said:

Kreps is Glitter Guy, but he didn't kill Bunny; he's been sneaking around the building to find out what our heroes know, to make Cinda's podcast better.  In the past, he planted evidence to convict the wrong guy in Becky Butler's murder so her podcast would have a better ending.

I think whoever killed Bunny is unrelated to all this podcast stuff, she's just trying to profit off it.  But I have no idea who killed Bunny.

We also don't know who she was having lunch with at the diner that day, or why she gave the waiter such a large tip.

We also don't know who made the copy of the original painting for Bunny (Alice?)

Why Bunny said 14 Savage to Mabel?

I agree with this. Don't think either Krepps or Cinda is the killer.

But who would it be then? Would they really make some we haven't seen yet the killer, that kind of seems like a long stretch. But I'm sure everything will make sense of tuesday.

I know some press have seen the finale already and said that it's truly shocking. So on that promise, I'm very much looking forward to it.