What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

Wait, why did you feel the need to apologize for something? 

I wasn't disagreeing with you, I've literally never heard of the show before, which is why I asked for elaboration! 

Sorry I don't post much.  If you have Freevee on your cable provider, it's 9 episodes and I don't want to spoil it.  :)  You can check out the trailer on Youtube.  :yes:

Finished The Watcher. Entertaining stuff. I expected it to be a horror show but it's more something of a who-done-it mystery drama.

The-Watcher-1.webp

Who is this guy again? He was great.

the-watcher-netflix.jpg

Once directed by David Lynch and now directed by Jennifer Lynch in ... The Watcher

28 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Finished The Watcher. Entertaining stuff. I expected it to be a horror show but it's more something of a who-done-it mystery drama.

The-Watcher-1.webp

Who is this guy again? He was great.

Bobby Cannavale, and he's usually pretty good

14 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

Bobby Cannavale, and he's usually pretty good

Oh yeah, Nine Perfect Strangers on Prime, that's where I think I've seen him the last time, before ...The Watcher

image.jpeg

Has anybody watched this yet? I just finished it, only having heard about it through a review on British radio.

It's excellent!

Without spoiling too much, it's basically about a guy who is a talented and massively lauded chef in New York who is beckoned back to his recently deceased estranged brother's sandwich cafe in Chicago, that he left to him in his will. When he arrives, he has to deal with the existing staff and manager who, stuck in their ways, don't exactly agree with his plan for improving the joint. Add to that, a talented yet inexperienced young chef arrives with her CV in hand - equally determined to put her mark on the place. 

It's eight episodes of very easy viewing (only about 30mins each) but anybody who has ever worked in a kitchen will relate enormously to some of the events portrayed. And it's very funny.

STRICTLY COME DANCING

What a fucking car-crash of a show.

Four judges who are completely up themselves, D-list "celebrities", who clearly can't dance to save their lives, and two absolutely moronic and fawning presenters, who love the sound of their own voices.

This is entertainment?

The Devil’s Hour

The user reviews on IMDb urges newcomers to “pay close attention” and “stay for the ending as it all makes sense”… I couldn’t disagree more. It takes to about halfway through the first episode before you will be able to figured out the premise, and I can only hope that the people who wrote reviews such as the ones I just mentioned have never watched a movie before. That’s the only explanation to why they didn’t see it coming.

It’s atmospheric and well acted, but in the end the problem is that they don’t do anything with the idea that sets up story. I thought that, at least, there’d be some payoff that would wrap up the “twist” (which isn’t much of a twist), but there’s really nothing at all, rendering the whole show rather pointless.

Spoiler

Go watch Palm Springs instead. Or Deja Vu. Or Groundhog Day.

Against my better judgment (I don't usually like David E. Kelly shows at all), we've been watching the first season of Netflix's Lincoln Lawyer series.  It's ok.  We're being pulled along by the plot and tone well enough.  It's certainly far better than the pretty embarrassing Reacher over on Amazon.

I guess I should finally watch Bosch on Amazon like I've been meaning to for years.  And then maybe keep the airport novel theme going and watch Jack Ryan too :P

On 19/10/2022 at 4:14 PM, JoeinAR said:

Monica's best trait is she knows low fat mayonnaise is not mayonnaise

Low fat x is not x in all cases. In fact, fat-free anything (that’s not naturally fat-free) is a crime against humanity. Especially when it comes to cheese.

And yes, Monica is the heart and soul of Friends! Her wail of “nooooooooo!” when they lose the apartment in the trivia game is the best moment of the series. 😂

image.gif

10 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Low fat x is not x in all cases.

And fat-free anything (that’s not naturally fat-free) is a crime against humanity. Especially when it comes to cheese.

And yes, Monica is the heart and soul of Friends! Her wail of “nooooooooo!” when they lose the apartment in the trivia game is the best moment of the series. 😂

image.gif

I just saw that episode again. It's soo good!!

"Transponsters".... THAT'S NOT EVEN A WORD!

That and the moment in season 5 when Phoebe sees Monica and Chandler through the window is comedy gold. It's so funny

6 hours ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

From the best episode in the series.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

I'm sorry, the correct answer is Ms Chanandalor Bong

Merian Schedeing understands.

On 30/10/2022 at 3:52 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

STRICTLY COME DANCING

What a fucking car-crash of a show.

Four judges who are completely up themselves, D-list "celebrities", who clearly can't dance to save their lives, and two absolutely moronic and fawning presenters, who love the sound of their own voices.

This is entertainment?

During Covid (after we were allowed into each other's houses again), my weekend visits to Mum's moved from Saturday evenings to Saturday afternoons. I think as a result this is the third series of Strictly in a row that I haven't had to watch any of, which is bloody marvellous. 

'Twas ever thus for 'shiny floor' light-ent shows on early Saturday evenings ... for The Generation Game and Noel's House Party back in the day, see Strictly now.

Hopefully RTD will return Doctor Who to Sat evenings. Nice to have a slice of sci-fi in amongst all that stuff.   

DOCTOR WHO used to be the Beeb's gateway into Saturday night telly, until Grade and his pals on the sixth floor fucked around with it. Even then, it did ok, with Peter Davison, but by the fag-end of the 80s, they'd set it up to fail, by putting it directly up against Corrie. Idiots.

I started Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities yesterday.

It remembered me Alfred Hitchcock Presents and shows like Tales from The Crypt.

The first episode was so boring I will not continue the serie, maybe I'm too old for this and/or maybe I saw too much thing like this before...

I'm tired of watching weird things on TV that just doesn't resolve. 

At 48 yo, I’m a tired spectator of this kind of bullshit, that’s all.

I really enjoy the series. in episode 3 the Autopsy My name sake is the villain. Truly disturbing episode. Not for the squimish.

8 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

I really enjoy the series. in episode 3 the Autopsy My name sake is the villain. Truly disturbing episode. Not for the squimish.

It’s my favorite so far. Really unsettling stuff in this series. Just watched The Outside and it just gets under your skin. 

I have watched the first two episodes, and if this is reminiscent of Creepshow, then it is without any interesting twist at the end of each episode.

I’ll give it a few more episodes before giving up.

The Crown - Season 5

A lot has been said of this season over the last few weeks but I thought it was great. Just like the other 4 seasons there is some of the best writing and acting on display in the series.

The new cast is all great. Staunton is good as Elizabeth (although Colman is still my favourite). West is also good as Charles, although it is apparent here that it is an actor playing. I didn't have that with Josh O'Connor last 2 seasons, he was Charles.

Speaking of being a character, Debicki is almost disturbingly like Diana. The way she moves and talkes, it's incredible.

Of course I know that there have been quite a few creative liberties taken and making the storylines dramatic. But that has been done for all previois 4 seasons. And although I get why people take offend at it now (with Elizabeth's passing and the story being more close and fresh in people's mind) I still feel it's a terrific series.

My favourite episode were: 2, 3 & 9. Wonderful stuff.

I'm excited to see S6 next year.

There have been talks of a spin-off series about the other monarchs in history, and I would watch that without question.

I have little to zero interest in the British Royal Family but I love The Crown; mostly for its constant contextual portrayals of lesser known moments (outside of the UK) in British history, such as the Aberfann disaster... which was wonderfully done.

It's also so fucking lavish. Production values are immense. 

I saw Dopesick (Hulu), which is about the opioid crisis in the US (specifically oxycontin). It shows events from different time periods and different parts of society like the company that makes and sells oxycontin (Purdue Pharma), doctors who prescribe it, patients who take it and get addicted, two investigations which happen at different times and courtroom scenes and also other scenes of the medication being misused... The story is told in a non linear way but it's very clear which scenes take place in which time period as they always write the year whenever the timeline shifts forwards or backwards in time.

Michael Keaton delivers a great performance and so do the other actors, in particular the actress who plays Bets and the actor sho plays Richard Sackler.

I knew a bit about this opioid crisis before watching the show but I didn't know to which extent it was a problem and how calculated the rollout plan was from the company and what an infrastructure they put in place to increase sales. It's a tough watch, especially the scenes of patients who are suffering from severe addiction but it's a brilliantly made mini series that people should watch as I think many don't know the extent of this opioid crisis which is still ongoing today.

The score was by Lorne Balfe and while it was fittingly atmospheric and appropriate for this show, it doesn't do much more than that.

4 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

The Crown - Season 5

A lot has been said of this season over the last few weeks but I thought it was great. Just like the other 4 seasons there is some of the best writing and acting on display in the series.

The new cast is all great. Staunton is good as Elizabeth (although Colman is still my favourite). West is also good as Charles, although it is apparent here that it is an actor playing. I didn't have that with Josh O'Connor last 2 seasons, he was Charles.

Speaking of being a character, Debicki is almost disturbingly like Diana. The way she moves and talkes, it's incredible.

Of course I know that there have been quite a few creative liberties taken and making the storylines dramatic. But that has been done for all previois 4 seasons. And although I get why people take offend at it now (with Elizabeth's passing and the story being more close and fresh in people's mind) I still feel it's a terrific series.

My favourite episode were: 2, 3 & 9. Wonderful stuff.

I'm excited to see S6 next year.

There have been talks of a spin-off series about the other monarchs in history, and I would watch that without question.

I'm a loyal fan (of the series, not the royal family) but it will have to wait until I renew my Netflix subscribtion (probably December).

Andor E6 

This show was slow to start but I've gotta say this is the first good D+ SW show. 

After the disconnected and unengaging Mandolarian and the back-alley finger puppet show that was Kenobi/Boba Fett, it's nice to have a show with actual an interesting story told in a cinematically appealing way that has something to say.  

Impeachment: American Crime Story Tells Monica Lewinsky's Side of the  Clinton Scandal << Rotten Tomatoes – Movie and TV News

Impeachment: American Crime Story

This new subgenre of single-season explorations of pop culture events from the 90s are my new jam, and this is one of the better ones.  Beanie Feldstein is terrifc as Monica Lewinsky, from her early days in the White House all the way through to the end of the scandal.  Clive Owen makes a surprisingly good Bill Clinton, Edie Falco is a pretty good Hilary Clinton (though she isn't in this much), but having the most fun are Annaleigh Ashford with a great fake nose as Paula Jones and Sarah Paulson, who is as great as always as Linda Tripp.  

My only criticism is that the show continually jumps around the timeline instead of just presenting everything in order; In the end I'm not sure what they really gained by doing so other than having most of the actors be in every episode I guess.  There's so many other people that show up in this - Cobie Smulders as Anne Coulter, Billy Eichner as Matt Drudge, Dan Bakkedahl as Kenneth Star, Taran Killam as Paula's husband, Colin Hanks as an FBI agent, there's even a young Brett Cavanaugh involved in this! 

It was a lot of fun, informative, interesting, well-acted, and just a great nostalgia trip at the same time.  So far I'd rank the entries in this sub-genre thusly:

1 The People Vs OJ Simpson

2 Pam & Tommy

3 Impeachment

4 The Assassination of Gianni Versace