What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Ghosts (TV Series 2021– ) - IMDb

Ghosts (US Season 1)

Last year on a whim we checked out Ghosts on CBS, the only network sitcom I've seen since the Mike Schur ones (Office/Parks and Rec/Brooklyn Nine-Nine/Good Place).  It turned out to be surprisingly good!  The plot is that a young married couple inherit a mansion and they want to turn it into a bed and breakfast, while having to deal with the fact that it's inhabited by ghosts (8 main characters + many others that come and go) that only the wife can see and hear.

What's nice about it is that it isn't afraid to throw in some dirty jokes, but overall has a very wholesome vibe, sort of like later seasons of Schitt's Creek or large parts of The Good Place.  It helps that all the actors are really good; Rose McIver is both gorgeous and capable of some fun facial expressions and reactions, while Utkarsh Ambudkar always finds new ways to be exasperated that he can't see or hear the ghosts that she can.  The 8 ghosts are all funny in different ways, and the whole premise of the shows lets them get into their backgrounds at different times throughout the season as the show cycles through them all with some sitting episodes out.

I can't believe there's actually a network sitcom worth watching in 2022, but here we are!

Ghosts - watch tv show streaming online

Ghosts (UK Series 1-4)

After the first US season had finished, we decided to check out the UK original, and it is good as well!

The premise is exactly the same, but there are a ton of differences.  5 of the main ghosts are very similar to their US counterparts (caveman/viking who can control electricity, pantsless self-centered guy who can push objects, boyscout leader with an arrow in his neck, closeted WW2/Revolutionary War captain, and the uptight distant relative of the wife).  But the UK then offers a young naive Georgian-era noblewomen, Romantic-era poet, and Stuart-era witch trial victim, while the US then offers a Prohibition-era singer, cynical Native American, and a clueless hippy.

Despite so many similarities both shows have (including a similar dynamic with their neighbor), they both end up being pretty different shows.  Each show has different strengths and weaknesses, I'd say.  The living couple in the US is far and away better than Mike and Alison from the UK show; I like Charlotte Ritchie, but Kiell Smith-Bynoe rubs me the wrong way a lot of times.  And it was very smart to make the husband a chef in the US version to make the bed and breakfast plot more plausible; Mike on the UK show is just so clueless about everything and they never know what to do with him - all his plots are completely different.

The ghosts I'd give the slight edge to the UK version, largely because Laurence Rickard is hilarious as both Robin and Sir Humphrey.  The Captain is great too, and KItty and Mary are really sweet characters.  But the US versions of the boyscout leader and pantless guy are way better, and Thorfin is a scene-stealer as well.

The UK version does a better job of slowing revealing each ghost's past and how they died, but the US version has more fun with the premise, like pointing out the absurdity that they can walk through walls but can sit on chairs and climb stairs - but also doing new things with the premise like having a vault in the basement the ghosts can't walk through.  Plus Sam is shown seeing other ghosts outside the house more than Alison does.

Overall, both shows are worth recommending, and I'm curious how long each will go on for.

11143923,0giEIOYA8zfL1jMSX76BxNrdxEREOxo

Jeff Bridges is too interesting an actor to pass on this, even if it's in the dreaded 'Homeland' genre. 

Former CIA agent Dan Chase secretly absconded thirty years ago and has lived self-sufficiently and under the radar ever since. But one day his dark past catches up with him when a hit man shows up and tries to kill him. He realizes that the only way he can find peace in the future is to face his past. John Lithgow is his old acquaintance, the FBI Assistant Director for Counterintelligence, and he is in on the hunt. Several women enter the story at various points, and their contributions will make the most crucial difference to the story.

Pitched at the loudness level of current tv storytelling and not particularly innovative in itself (which is to say it's competently made), the story has intriguing turns that rise way above the low-IQ level of something like 'Homeland'.

Veteran actors like Bridges and John Lithgow know important scenes when they are coming, and they (and others) make the most of it (Bridges remains more of a cypher, though). So what remains is that within these limitations, it is a recommendation. I don't know if the decision to make a season 2 out of this material is reason enough to celebrate (or wish they would make formats fitting their stories, not building 5 floors on top of a bungalow, like these additional seasons often feel).

I think it's a testament to how well written the show is that every character is despicable in a way, they're all horrible people, but the show is still utterly engrossing. And yeah, the season finale has one of the best TV scripts I've seen.

Are the other two seasons as good as the first? Or even better?

18 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

They are. I liked S2 evwn more than one.

S3 is overall a bit behins the other 2, but the finale of S3 is utterly brilliant. I gasped at my screen, brilliant writing and acting.

6 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Just finished yesterday the first season of Succession.

It's amazing how a show where every character is unlikable (in different degrees) can be so entertaining. It was very funny to watch these rich one-percenters doing horrible things to each other.

The acting of the whole cast were incredible, and I liked the way the show shifts from comedy to drama to comedy again. Also, this is probably Nicholas Britell's best score.

I recently just binged all 3 seasons and I have to say it’s probably the best show on TV right now. The characters are flawlessly written, the story is interesting, and it’s never not entertaining. Also the music is amazing. Nicholas Britell’s theme and overall score are peak. The end of season 1 gave me chills everywhere. Never have I seen a show that not only has heavy themes and concepts but also balances that with comedy and whit. Really puts you into the perspective of these evil billionaires. My favorite characters are Kendall and Greg but all of them are awesome to watch (Except Shiv I genuinely hate her).

53 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

It only gets better. It’s a wild ride and I’m so excited for season 4. Kendall goes on quite the journey.

Season 2 is probably better than 1, though without the same kind of amazing finale.  Season 3 feels a little different than the first two somehow, it's still good but not quite the same.  Then the finale is spectacular and brilliant

“The Viewing”

from Guillermo Del Toro’s Cabinet of Curiosities

https://youtu.be/BYSGyRdLm0g

I have one more episode left in the season but I already know this is my favorite. Directed by Panos Cosmatos, I’ve been waiting for it to pop up all season, knowing he directed one of the episodes.

A mini-masterpiece, it’s the only episode I will definitely be rewatching in the future. If anyone is a fan of Mandy, this is a must watch.

Slow and dialogue heavy but steeped in 80s atmosphere, it’s an exercise in tension building. The entire cast is wonderful, with Charlene Yi and Eric Andre as the highlights for me. The score is excellent as well. @Thor have you seen this one?

https://youtu.be/-ZDyOm9fYbg

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished the whole three seasons of Succession.

It's still a great show, with brilliant writing and acting, but after binging three seasons over the last few weeks, I was a little tired by the end. Eventually the novelty of watching these unlikable rich characters being awful to each other and doing terrible and cruel things kinda worn off, and then the show became just depressing.

Also, the plots started to get a bit repetitive. S1 and S3 have more or less the same plot:

Spoiler

Kendall is pissed with his dad, then concots a scheme to remove him from Waystar's presidency, only for it to fail spetacularly due to a combination of bad luck, Kendall's own incompetence and Logan's corruption and influence. Then, Kendall becomes sad and depressed until the next great scheme.

It's a great show, but I wish they don't keep repeating the same plots over and over.

I made a decision about 5 or 6 years ago to stop watching any shows that can be described as basically “despicable people doing despicable things.”  So there are quite a few critically adored shows I’ve not watched in that time.  Succession, Ozark, etc.  Just not interested.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

“despicable people doing despicable things.”

And that's just the show-runners.

ba dum tshh

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Just finished the whole three seasons of Succession.

It's still a great show, with brilliant writing and acting, but after binging three seasons over the last few weeks, I was a little tired by the end. Eventually the novelty of watching these unlikable rich characters being awful to each other and doing terrible and cruel things kinda worn off, and then the show became just depressing.

Also, the plots started to get a bit repetitive. S1 and S3 have more or less the same plot:

Reveal hidden contents

It's a great show, but I wish they don't keep repeating the same plots over and over.

Yeah, I very much enjoyed season 1 and 2, and also to an extent season 3 but at the end it's exactly as you've said – it's the same plot repeating itself again and again. 

5 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I made a decision about 5 or 6 years ago to stop watching any shows that can be described as basically “despicable people doing despicable things.”  So there are quite a few critically adored shows I’ve not watched in that time.  Succession, Ozark, etc.  Just not interested.

I stopped watching both these shows (Succession and Ozark) for the exact same reason. Every character wants to be worse than the other. It just becomes too much. Don't they know that each show needs a Bobby Ewing? 

007df61731044c3b839830ecf54e832a.jpg

PS: Very recently I watched the first half of Yellowstone (with Kevin Kostner) but I quickly felt his is one of those shows where everyone is unhappy and bad, so I stopped watching. It's basically Dallas in Montana.

7 hours ago, Jay said:

I'm sure Succession works better as a weekly watch with years in between seasons, then all bunched up together. 

You mean we have to watch it twice?

Drummer Drumming GIF

• 2 weeks later...

The Crown Season 5

At one point Dominic West wore a smoking and it made me wonder why he's not the new James Bond? That's how manly he played Charles. While Dominic West didn't resemble Charles in the sligthest, his acting was stellar. But it's the actress that played Diana that is bound to win a couple of awards (you heard it first from me!). I'm not a royalty watcher but she more than convinced me. I can't really see any flaws in S5 so I don't understand the sometimes negative critique it received. Best moment of the season is Charles visiting Diana after the divorce ( I'm referring to their scene in the kitchen when suddenly they have chemistry together).

p0dcxgrb.jpg

MV5BYTFlZGMyMzEtZDAyZi00MTY4LWI4OWQtYmVj

A bit of a disappointment but I really liked the last episode with the bird watchers (The Murmuring). Second place goes to episode 3: The Autopsy (which reminded me of the stuff you saw in the Creepy horror comics magazine). Don't see this getting another season. 

On 21/12/2022 at 8:21 AM, AC1 said:

A bit of a disappointment but I really liked the last episode with the bird watchers (The Murmuring). Second place goes to episode 3: The Autopsy (which reminded me of the stuff you saw in the Creepy horror comics magazine). Don't see this getting another season. 

I don’t remember how many episodes I watched, but I thought each one was bad and pointless.

The Witcher: Blood Origin

I quite enjoyed this. I liked that it was just 4 episodes, although some characters (Michelle Yeoh & villains) or plotpoints could've used a bit more time.

It's very much rooted in The Witcher world, which I enjoy.

I would put this slightly before The Witcher S2 is terms of quality.

There was a small scene at the end that was fun for people who watch The Witcher and the Jaskier is in a few scenes, but other than that, there are not a lot of connections to the main series.

McCreary's score fits the series like a glove, although it won't be for everybody on album. I appreciate it more now that I've seen the series.

I would watch it if you're a Witcher fan, but other won't really like this.

On 21/12/2022 at 2:21 AM, AC1 said:

Not a fan of The Viewing?

Star Trek Prodigy. This is surprising how excellent this is. Its also dark and dangerous.

I even like Giacchino's main theme, very Spider-like. 

Tonight is the season(series?) finale. 

Ghe future of Star Fleet rides in the balance. 

I've been watching the new adaptation of THE IPCRESS FILE.

It's not bad, and it pays homage to the film (the Dutch angles, the downbeat score), but it also takes liberties with the subject matter. Sometimes, I thought that I was watching FUNERAL IN BERLIN, rather than the aforementioned story. No matter; it's still decent stuff, and it's always good to see Tom Hollander.

I'm waiting to hear my favourite line from the film:

"You didn't come here to talk to me about button mushrooms and birds" :)

Takes liberties with the subject matter ... yeah, I'd read that there was 'for a modern audience' stuff in it *eyeroll*. In the spy genre (albeit a real-life story) and on ITVX, 'A Spy Among Friends' about the traitor Kim Philby with Damian Lewis, Guy Pearce and Anna Maxwell-Martin looks like it might be good.         

I'm currently watching The Time Traveler's Wife.

I'm starting the penultimate episode, episode 5.

So far in each of the 4 previous episodes, we see Theo Jame's butt in each episode.

I mean, how can a series could be better?

I hope I'll will not be disappointed by the last episode.

10 hours ago, Bespin said:

I'm currently watching The Time Traveler's Wife.

I'm starting the last episode, episode 5.

So far in each of the 4 previous episodes, we see Theo Jame's butt in each episode.

I mean, how can a series could be better?

I hope I'll will not be disappointed by the last episode.

I LIKED this show. And I'm not sure why. But I'm sorry more people didn't get it.

49 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

I LIKED this show. And I'm not sure why. But I'm sorry more people didn't get it.

I LOVE it too, the series is inspired by the same author who inspired Doctor Who, that's very interesting.

I guess, in the old series, Doctor Who traveled with his clothes, that's perhaps the biggest improvement!

Lovecraft Country

It took me a while to start this and then it took me a while to get into it, but I ended up loving it!

Acting across the board was fantastic. And what a shame it is that we lost Michael K. Williams to soon, he was truly a legend.

The best episode is number 9 when they retuen to the 1921 Tulsa massacre. It blew my mind and got me very emotional.

Not everything worked 100% but overall this was a great series.

• 2 weeks later...

The Patient

fx-the-patient-episode-3-issues-steve-ca

Good TV series about a serial killer who keeps his psychiatrist (Steve Carell) chained in his basement. It's from the same people who brought you The Americans

I don't think anyone here cares, but anyway: Titans and Doom Patrol, the two DC shows that started on the DCUniverse app and are now on HBOMax, are ending with their 4th seasons.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/titans-doom-patrol-ending-hbo-max-1235310044/

I only saw the first season of Titans and I though it was atrocious, so I gave up on the show.

The Legend Of Vox Machina S2 (Ep. 4-6)

Last week S2 started with 3 episodes and I forgot to post about it.

I thought S1 last year was really good, but S2 is is spectacular. I love this so much.

It's fantasy storytelling of the highest order imo. There is room for terrific action scenes, emotional/heartbreaking moments, shock, character development and comedy.

All the characters of the team get an episode as 'main character', which is really great.

I don't think all the humor is for everyone and I still feel a lot of adults don't want to watch animation, even though there is so much great stuff out there. For me, everything on this series just works and I'm very happy it already got renewned for S3.

On 22/1/2023 at 3:30 PM, Disco Stu said:

Happy Valley has returned at last for its 3rd and final season, 7 years after the 2nd.  Love these characters, love the setting, love how Sally Wainwright writes working class characters.

Phenomenal show. Didn't know you Americans were even aware of it!

Haven't started season 3 yet, waiting for it to finish. Very much looking forward to watching.

6 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Haven't started season 3 yet, waiting for it to finish. Very much looking forward to watching.

I knew season 3 was coming but didn't realize it had started until last week, binged the first four, and now have to watch the last two week to week like a plebe :puh:

I think it's good that Happy Valley is limited to just 3 series though, Sally Wainwright's shows tend to get really bad when they go on too long.  Grasping for ever soapier and outrageous character developments.  Looking' at you Last Tango.

I suspect that Happy Valley is the (unofficial) inspiration for Mare of Easttown.

I watched an episode of the latter (so still early thoughts) and it feels as if someone in Hollywood saw the UK police series and said to themselves “we should do that here, in the US!

On 22/01/2023 at 5:30 PM, Disco Stu said:

Happy Valley has returned at last for its 3rd and final season, 7 years after the 2nd.  Love these characters, love the setting, love how Sally Wainwright writes working class characters.

On 27/01/2023 at 7:13 PM, Nick1Ø66 said:

‘Happy Valley’ Season Finale Snags 7.5 Million Viewers, 41% Audience Share for BBC

Yesterday we watched the Last of Us, specifically the gay episode. It was not as good as everyone said, but it was nice. My friends father-in-law had a much nastier opinion. The world still revolves the same.