What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

3 hours ago, Jay said:

It stop really bothers me that they did absolutely nothing to make the show feel like it was 2031 and not 2023. Very lazy. 

There were a couple of holographic movie posters in one of the Gene scenes, and the voice-activated TV in the final scene, but yeah apart from that I totally agree. They should've leant way more into it.

Am 2 episodes into Rian Johnson's crime comedy drama Poker Face, and having a lot of fun with it. Natasha Lyonne's lead turn is great. Am also 3 episodes into the winning, very funny but thankfully not sappy Aussie 'rom-com' Colin From Accounts.  

7 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

There were a couple of holographic movie posters in one of the Gene scenes, and the voice-activated TV in the final scene, but yeah apart from that I totally agree. They should've leant way more into it.

Every smartphone shown was just a current iPhone.  The youtube interface was today's.  The cars all ran on gas. The clothes and lingo were today's.  Lazy lazy lazy

Just finished the fourth and last season of Succession.

Remember that line from the Joker movie when he says something like "I always thought my life was a tragedy. Now I know it's a fucking comedy"? In Succession, the characters may think they're in a tragedy when this is actually a comedy and they're the clowns.

Succession can almost be seen as a parody of "prestige dramas" like House of Cards or the early seasons of Game of Thrones, where cunning, smart and politically savvy characters make carefully-plotted moves to obtain more and more power. In Succession, they may think they're smart and strategic, but they're actually just pathetic idiots who are all unquestionably unfit to lead one of the world's largest organizations.

All 3 of the major siblings get lined up to succeed over and over again, then make one mistake that costs them everything.  It's great :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Currently watching Silo. I'm at episode 4 now.

I don't know the books it is adapted from, but I'm really enjoying it so far.

It's tense and has amazing production design and visuals.

Rebecca Ferguson is great in the lead role. Geraldine James, David Oleyowo, Rashida Jones, Harriet Walter, Will Patton & Tim Robbins (quite chilling) also all give great performances.

Atli Örvarsson's score fits the series really well. I'm not yet sure if I'll like it on album, but in the series it does it's job perfectly.

I'm excited to see where the story goes.

Anyone else seen Shrinking? Didn't have much expectations but it has continued to keep surprising me episode after episode, and I'm almost done with the show now. Only one episode remains and I don't want it to end.

It's got a Ted Lasso vibe but a little darker and not so wholesome, but it's not a bad thing. Also found myself getting emotional many times during the show.

The only negative is that there are some cringy forced moments, but they are very far in between.

Ford is excellent, as well as Segel and the supporting cast. The standout of the new faces, for me, is Jessica Williams. There are also some Scrubs familiar faces, with one particular great surprise performance of Christa Miller in an important supporting role. At first I thought she was kinda shoehorned in, but as time went on I started to really like her performance along with her character and the interactions she has with the rest of the cast.

As I said, it feels like a sort of spiritual follow-up to Ted Lasso, but with a little bit more of drama.

2 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

Anyone else seen Shrinking? Didn't have much expectations but it has continued to keep surprising me episode after episode, and I'm almost done with the show now. Only one episode remains and I don't want it to end.

It's got a Ted Lasso vibe but a little darker and not so wholesome, but it's not a bad thing. Also found myself getting emotional many times during the show.

The only negative is that there are some cringy forced moments, but they are very far in between.

Ford is excellent, as well as Segel and the supporting cast. The standout of the new faces, for me, is Jessica Williams. There are also some Scrubs familiar faces, with one particular great surprise performance of Christa Miller in an important supporting role. At first I thought she was kinda shoehorned in, but as time went on I started to really like her performance along with her character and the interactions she has with the rest of the cast.

As I said, it feels like a sort of spiritual follow-up to Ted Lasso, but with a little bit more of drama.

On 25/03/2023 at 8:51 AM, Jay said:

Shrinking 1x01 Coin Flip

Well, that was an OK start.  Definitely tried to cram too much background into one episode to set everything up, it was a big clunky.  And I wasn't particularly endeared to Segel's character, or any characters yet really.

I could definitely tell it was a Bill Lawrence show, and not just from Christa Miller (who seems to have gotten even MORE plastic surgery than before... WHY does she do this!?). It really had the same comedy/drama blend and use of music he's known for.  It was all quite predictable to, of course his "winning" treatments were going to blow up in his face at the end of the episode.

Regardless, there's enough compelling ideas here to give the next episode a shot as well.  It was good to see Harrison Ford play a more casual, more comedic role than usual

On 25/03/2023 at 4:31 PM, Koray Savas said:

It gets better as it goes on, in my opinion. I’ve come to like the characters a lot more. 

On 27/03/2023 at 8:07 AM, Jay said:

Shrinking 1x02 Fortress of Solitude

Well that was MUCH better than the first episode; Everything felt a lot less forced, the characters felt like they were making more organic decisions.  I think the fixing of the relationship between Jimmy and his daughter will be the core heart of the season, and I really like the angle it has where Christa Miller has been acting like a surrogate mom for the past year since Jimmy's wife died.  The way her husband comments on it all is funny, and Jimmy's coworker showing up to ream her out was really interesting.

The former best friend character seems like a really good addition to everything here; It's probably a good thing he wasn't crammed into the first episode as well.  The fact that Jimmy's daughter has chats with Harrison Ford was interesting; I think all his scenes on this show so far have been excellent (too bad he never did more work like this over the years).

I definitely don't think the show is particularly funny, this is really more on the drama side than the comedy side.

On 27/03/2023 at 1:34 PM, Koray Savas said:

Yep. There are some moments that do make me laugh out loud, but it’s definitely a heavy show. 

On 29/03/2023 at 7:20 AM, Jay said:

Shrinking 1x03 Fifteen Minutes

Pretty good, Sean is becoming a pretty interesting character.  Gabby's divorce subplot was a little random (there was no setup for this whatsoever in the first 2 episodes), as was learning that Tia and her were actually best friends.  I think Alice had the best arc this episode, her realization of guilt over the plant being thrown out and the laughter with her friend was touching.  But man, Harrison Ford killed it this episode - he's GREAT in this show!  His scenes with Alice are great, his scenes with Jimmy are great, he was funny in the driving subplot.  This show wouldn't be half as good without him!

On 29/03/2023 at 8:45 AM, Mr. Who said:

Agreed about Ford, he’s so good. I am watching episode 4 now and the show is getting better with every episode IMO. 

ATV Plus has some seriously great shows.

On 30/03/2023 at 8:32 AM, Jay said:

Shrinking 1x04 Potatoes

Yea, this show is firing on all cylinders now; All the clunkyness of setting everything up in the first 2 episodes has given way to real smooth sailing as we journey with all our character through their various trials and tribulations.

Alice is becoming a really interesting character.  I liked her hanging out with Gabby, her telling Jimmy about losing her virginity to Connor and his attempt to be a "cool dad about it", her dismissing of Connor when he texted her from the jacuzzi, and her final scene trying to get some from Sean.  Even in scenes she wasn't in, everyone was talking about her, with Gabby apologizing to Liz for lying about having a basketball, Liz admitting she maybe got too invested in Alice, but at hte same time what was she supposed to do when no one else was, and Jimmy finally thanking Liz properly for helping care of Alice for the past year.  Good stuff all around

Brian being Paul's lawyer for his estate docs was a good way to get him into the episode; That actor is good and makes any scene he's in more fun.  Paul's scenes were all great this whole episode - Harrison Ford is killing it in this show!  His scene with his daughter were sad, and it doesn't seem like they're on much of a path to get closer.  Him giving Jimmy the potatoes and him just biting into one is just like what he's trying to do with his patients - find a quick solution instead of going through the usual process!

Paul's treatment tactics continue to not work.  The OCD lady hits on him, Sean won't open up about Afghanistan, and who knows what's up with Grace (she wasn't in this episode, but I hope we see more of her).  Jason Segel was really good this episode between the potato biting, yelling at Liz, jumping on the trampoline, failing to be cool dad, hanging with Sean, and then the final look at the end when Alice comes into Sean's room.  Good stuff all around!

So much happens in each of these episodes!

Agree, I think each episode has been better than the last too

Right now we're watching Severance, Shrinking, and Ted Lasso (3), and they are all really good.  Previously we saw Schmigadoon too.  Looking forward to The Afterparty, Mythic Quest, and Masters of the Air!

On 03/04/2023 at 4:44 AM, Jay said:

Shrinking 1x05 Woof

It seems they really want to give every single character on this show an emotional issue they're going to spend the season overcoming; Now Brian cannot pull the trigger on proposing to his boyfriend, due to the way his parents treated him when he came out.  I'm not even sure if he came to grips with his issues by the end of this episode, but it was nice that he shared his story with Gaby and Liz (apparently he hangs out with them even when Jimmy is not around?  This show has fully become a "hang out show" I guess now lol)

Grace similarly admitted to hiding that she was still with Donny from Jimmy because of the ultimatum he gave her, which he smartly immediately apologized for.  I thought it was nice that she seems to still know she should leave him, and will now be willy to properly talk about it.

Paul meanwhile finally admits to his daugher that he has Parkinson's, though he doesn't seem to want to admit to how much he misses being able to talk to Jimmy about patients.  The scene where he talked to Gabby instead was so funny! (Harrison Ford continues to just kill it on this show, though this episode the Gaby character finally really became a stand-out too; This might be the best-cast show on TV right now!)

Sean finally opens up a little bit about Afghanistan, but not until after he really scares Alice on what could have been considered a date.  I really wonder how this is going to play out; How old is he supposed to be, anyway?

Basically it was a well-crafted episode that basically had all the characters avoiding something difficult in one way or another, with many of them working through it this episode in different ways.  Halfway through the season, the show is firing on all cylinders and turning into something really special!

On 04/04/2023 at 6:57 AM, Jay said:

Shrinking 1x06 Imposter Syndrome

Interesting discussion between Jimmy, Brian, and Paul in the lunch room this week; Paul has taken the step he needed to talk and told Meg about his Parkinson's; Sean has started to talk about Afghanistan; however Jimmy is not really talking about Tia still.  Who is his therapist, anyway?

Gaby's story this week about not being able to "lady get it up" for any new guys was interesting (and her and Liz trying to find terms for it was really funny) - as soon as the last scene started we both know her and Jimmy were gonna hook up.  Such a bad idea!

It was interesting to see a party at Jimmy's house, and it juxtaposed with an old party he threw when Tia was still around.  I couldn't tell if Gaby was completely honest when she said Tia never told her that she was not thinking of leaving him.  Of course, she might have thought it but knew she couldn't tell Gaby about it...

Alice finally made a move on Sean and I'm so glad he rejected her!  Curious to see where that goes next.

On 07/04/2023 at 7:41 AM, Jay said:

Shrinking 1x07 Apology Tour

Pretty funny episode, though with some serious drama!

The opening scene with Jimmy and Gaby was a hoot.  Jason Segel just loves to get naked doesn't he?  The conversation was interesting as was their second one at the end of the episode.  She's really becoming one of my favorite characters, and I'm surprised I never knew the actress until now!

Alice avoiding Sean made sense, as did Liz's analysis that she just doesn't want to be abandoned again.  Poor Sean, he's in such a tough situation (losing out on another job opportunity).  I hope his character gets some kind of happy ending somehow...

Harrison Ford was so hilarious waking up on the couch with his tie in his mouth, and his early scenes with Meg singing the papers, visiting his doctor, and discussing their options are interesting.  But then it was such a gut-punch depressing situation when he explained that he didn't want to move across the country and Meg took that really hard.  It's a super tough situation because both sides of the argument have a lot of merit. There's really no clear solution here.

Liz and her husband's talk about his retirement and how he earned hanging out and home and she needs to find a hobby was funny.  Did she never work?

Jimmy talking to Tia's picture was nice (it was nice when Gaby did it too), and it's funny how all these episodes end with a cliffhanger, this time Alice overhearing him mention he slept with Gaby... oh boy...

On 12/04/2023 at 5:20 AM, Jay said:

Shrinking 1x08 Boop

Jimmy and Gaby talking to Alice about having sex was pretty funny :lol: I also loved Alice introducing Paul to Fun Dip :lol: It was kind of sad that he wasn't there for her as usual due to being pre-occupied with his Meg situation

The subplot of Jimmy, Paul, and Brian going to grab Alice after she goes to USC to bang a college guy was pretty good, and Jimmy learning to lay the law down at the end was good.  It's an important part of parenting!  The other subplot of Gaby going to Nicoh's art show was a little strange.  I thought there was chemistry between Gaby and the gallery owner, and didn't see it coming that she was with Nicoh now.  Sean tagging along and constantly peacing out was funny, as was the way Liz tried to back up Gaby at every opportunity.  And her laser pointer!

On 18/04/2023 at 7:47 AM, Jay said:

Shrinking 1x09 Moving Forward

Well damn, so much happened in this episode, it was kinda crazy.  I was surprised that Jimmy was suddenly Brian's officiant again; he is clearly so unstable, it's so illogical that Brian would still want him to do this.  Especially the bizarre wrinkle that Brian has no best man otherwise; I feel like a guy like Brian would have TONS of friends he could choose from.  That was weird.  But it seems to be written this way to give him and his dad a reconciliation arc of some kind.  It was fun to see Brian Howe from Kevin Can Fuck Himself in a different role there!

Gaby's scene with Nico was nice, but I dunno about her and Jimmy hooking up again after.  Seems like a recipe for disaster.  These guys should know that friends with benefits never works in the long run, someone always gets hurt, and being coworkers on top is extra risky. Damn!

Gaby had her hands in a lot of storylines this week.  Suddenly she wants to be a professor which had not been set up at all prior to now.  Her reasons for wanting it were awesome, but it was a little weird that Paul didn't want to write the letter himself and told her he'd sign one she wrote.  I felt this was out of character for him, who has been portrayed as a good boss and helpful guy until now.  Are we chalking this up to him being distracted by everything happened with Meg?

Gaby also helped Sean start a catering business, which was just blazed through at lightning speed.  All of a sudden he has a job with his dad, despite the issues they've had all season, then he hates it right away, then him and Gaby manage to convince Liz and Derek to give him 20 freaking thousand dollars for it?  Starting a small business is no joke and takes a lot of time to set up, this just all felt sort of sitcom-y in a show that has largely avoided sitcom tropes until now.

Another distraction for Paul could have been the career achievement reward we learned about this episode (which also maybe shouldn't have come out of nowhere).  I found his reasons for seemingly not caring about it to be interesting, but I also feel like Jimmy and Gaby would have convinced him to go and wanted to go with him when they presumably found out some time ago.  I dunno.

Gaby also was involved with finding out that Paul is daring Dr. Julie, and holy hell that whole scene was so funny!!  Jessica Williams might be my new favorite actor and I want to see more of her work now.  I liked the conversation Paul had with Julie about not being at the stage to sit through boring stuff together, and the end of the episode was so adorable when he takes her to the play instead of the award show.  BTW, where does Meg live, exactly?  She's clearly far enough away that she usually flies to visit him, but this episode made it seem like he could just drive there, and that it was less than a drive to Vegas?

The bits surrounding Tia and Alice were interesting this episode too.  Jimmy emptying out her closet and looking through a scrapbook, him and Alice remembering their listening parties, only for Alice to realize she forgot Tia's birthday... damn!  I can't imagine how that feels

On 18/04/2023 at 8:31 AM, Mr. Who said:

Gabi’s reactions to finding out about Paul and Julie are hilarious! Her facial expressions alone are really funny!

I first saw Jessica Williams in the third Fantastic Beasts movie in which she was very good. I remember that she did some funny interviews for that movie as she’s a massive Potter fan.

On 18/04/2023 at 8:52 AM, Jay said:

It turns out I've apparently seen her in Girls, Hot Tub Time Machine 2, Booksmart, and Twilight Zone, though I guess she didn't make an impression in those. She's so good in this, the breakout star for me (though Brian is great too) 

She stars in a movie called The Incredible Jessica James that I rembember hearing about, I want to watch it now just because of how good she is in Shrinking! 

Awesome! I hope it gets more recognition, it's really good and the performances are fantastic.

Really digging this stage of Harrison's carreer where he is taking some risks and doing more varied stuff. Haven't completed it yet, but I really dug his work on 1923.

• 4 weeks later...

The Bear - Season 2

This was incredible, just like season 1. But I thought this was even better.

I loved how they not only expanded the stories of the different characters but also expanded the world they live in. New restaurants, new chefs and family.

I was not prepared for all the guests stars and they just kept coming! And all of them were incredible additions to the show.

My favorite episodes:

Episode 4, which focused on Marcus, was wonderful.

Episode 6, might be one of the best hours of television I've seen. Chaos, madness, familial trouble, but sooo good.

Episode 7, which focused on Richie, and I loved the way his character progressed and grew. 

Episode 10, when the restaurant opened and that incredible one take at the start, just incredible!! 

Such a great show!!

[ spooks ] Series 3.

The editing is off, sometimes, and it seems that the cast are, more often than not, about to break the fourth wall, and declare the show's underlying silliness, but when it's good, it's very good.

Firth is commanding, as always, Penry Jones is a welcome addition, and I defy anyone not to fall in love with sex on legs Ruth Evershed :)

Q3AB6ZQHMRE47BWWBSYQOVOULQ.png

Watched the first 3 episodes, now I have to wait, because Prime is only releasing one eppy per week. But so far it's pretty good! With Sigourney 'Alien' Weaver.

Only Murders In The Building S3xEp1 & 2

I thought this was a good start. There were already some twists and reveals, which I enjoyed.

The trio is still a joy to watch. Martin Short gets some fun material. Highly comedic but also some really serious stuff.

The new addition are great. Paul Rudd is having a blast! But Meryl Streep is the standout (when isn't she). Her opening was beautiful and she's really lovely. At the table read I laughed out loud. Her accents were hilarious.

But later in the episode it becomes clear she is not as naive as she lets on. I'm curious to see where they take her character.

Some things I didn't like:

- I miss Cara Delevigne.

- And without her Mabel seems a bit like a crazy person when she's talking to dead people by herself. And I'm not a fan that she has to leave the Arconia. Is that a hint that they're gonna end it?

- I don't really feel the romantic relationship between Steve Martin & Andrea Martin yet. (Although chemistry between Short & Streep is great!)

Music as always is great! As is the production. Looking forward to the rest. This show is always such a joy.

Only Murders In The Building S3x3

I liked this episode, but it was just good. Not great or anything.

I'm not happy with the fact that they split the trio up. Mabel is now mostly on her own, with yet another love interest. Which is fine, but of the 3 she's had, Cara Delevigne was the most interesting.

The best parts were the rehearsals of the plays, now turned into a musical. I am a big musical fan so I quite liked this. Martin Short remains the standout and gets the most intetesting thing to do out of the trio.

But Meryl Streep again stole the show. I was surprised at how moving the song was she sang at the end (written by Sara Bareilles and Benj Pasek & Justin Paul). It's really beautiful. And was a wonderful way to end the episode.

I'm glad they already released it.

BAND OF BROTHERS - Rewatching it for the first time since my Father’s  passing. It was kind of a ritual for us to watch it together every year. Now I’m saluting alone to Easy Company.

I watched Good Omens season 2. David Tennant and Michael Sheen are so brilliant that you don't realize until after that it's not very good. It doesn't have the charm and Rube Goldberg plotting and circus of characters that the original did. I suspect that either Terry Pratchett is sorely missed or Gaiman was having too much fun with his leads or both. 

Worth watching for the two. And Jon Hamm is fun. Otherwise rewatch the first season. Or reread the book, which is what I'm doing. After 30 years it's even better than I remembered and they did a remarkable job adapting it. 

Discovered recently that this supernatural/sci-fi show from my youth is on ITVX, so have started making my way through it - 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapphire_%26_Steel#Home_media

For those unfamiliar, I think a spookier Doctor Who is the best way to describe it. Still has a nicely unsettling atmosphere, all these years on.       

10 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Discovered recently that this supernatural/sci-fi show from my youth is on ITVX, so have started making my way through it - 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapphire_%26_Steel#Home_media

For those unfamiliar, I think a spookier Doctor Who is the best way to describe it. Still has a nicely unsettling atmosphere, all these years on.       

Sounds like something Mark Gatiss would be keen to remake.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Only Murders In The Building 3x7

After a 2 episode start to tge season, which I really enjoyed, the show lost me a bit every episode since.

I didn't enjoy the storyline of Charles & Joy. And I mostly disliked that the trio was so much apart.

The best parts were those with Streep & Short. They are both really great.

This episode though, was a shot in the a better direction. More focused again on solving the murder (of which I still have no idea who's done it) and it finally moved the story forward again.

There were some really fun cameo's from very big stars, which I enjoyed a lot.

I'm really hoping that the last 3 episodes go back to the charm of the first 2 seasons.

Only Murders In The Building Season 3x8

This was the best episode of the season. It was funny, there were stakes and I loved that ending!!

Now I really can't wait for the final 2 episodes!!

This cue worked incredibly well with the ending. It really heightened the emotion. I love it.

Another 'from my youth' ITVX discovery - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammer_House_of_Horror . I was only 9 when this was broadcast and consequently wouldn't have been allowed to watch it (even if I'd wanted to, which given that I wasn't keen on scary stuff as a kid seems unlikely). 

3 episodes in now ... the 3rd has been the best so far, a psychological head-scrambler with Denholm Elliott. The series is notable for featuring the legendary Peter Cushing's last-ever appearance in a Hammer production.  

Sex Education - Season 4

This has been one of my favorites series of the last couple of years. It's so heartfelt, funny, moving, loving, inclusive and respectful of anyone, educational and just so special.

It has colourful, well-written, well-acted and lovable characters. Not just the main characters, but everyone. Each person gets it's moment to shine. Be it for the struggles, their humor, vulnerability or just them as a person.

The show touches upon so many topics without feeling bloated. It talks about sexuality, identity, faith, personality, being young, depression, love, loss, heartbreak, inclusivity and so much more!

I feel that this is the perfect ending for these characters. There is not a definitive ending, which is great. The people live one, go on to live their lives. It's been a joy to be apart of their lives for four years.

It might seem strange, but it really feels like saying goodbye to your friends after a series like this. It's kinda hard, but it is only more proof of how special this is.

This will stay with me for a long time and I will definitely revisit it in the future. There is so much to learn from it, on so many different levels.
It means a lot to me and has been absolutely perfect!

Castlevania: Nocture

HAHA. I feel I'm the only one who posts in this thread.

I LOVED the original Castlevania series which ran from 2017 till 2021. That series was inventive in it's storytelling, animation, action and this show thankfully follows that trend.

I'm not a gamer, so I'm not familiar with any of the games that this is based on. But the storylines here are incredible. Every character gets a backstory, character development and gets stronger in terms of their powers.
Halfway through the season the big bad is revealed and it's an incredible take on a historical figure. I'm a big fan of history so when cool stuff is being done with it, I really appreciate it.

The action scenes are incredible. There are long takes, swordfights, vampire speed, powerups and much more. These are the type of fights that can't be done in live action.

Then the animation. The opening shot of the series actually looked real. After that it goes into full fantasy/horror mode. The designs on every single character is astonishing and inventive. Some of the vampires and monsters are especially cool! My favorite is a vampire who gets an upgrade in the penultimate episode. She looks so cool!

Slight warning, the series is R-Rated. There is loads of blood, beheadings, cursing and violence. But I feel it is done in such a way that it is deserved. The action and violence serve a purpose to the story.

There are 8 episodes, between 20 and 30 minutes. I watched it all in one sitting, I couldn't stop.
The season ends on a incredible cliffhanger with a surprise I didn't see coming. But I was soo happy it was there. I'm very much hoping for a season 2.
This is one of the best series this year in my opinion!!!!

On 30/09/2023 at 3:03 PM, JTW said:

I really like this series. And oddly enough I like Jason Hill's minimalist score a lot. He uses some very interesting sound effects that makes the score spooky, atmospheric and unique. Well done, Mr. Hill. 

mh.jpg

It's too bad it only ran for two seasons. 

21 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

SHAMELESS (UK)

I started watching this from the beginning, and I've just kept going. I'm about one third of the way through series 5. Still brilliant, and it has the role that David Threlfall was absolutely born to play.

Have never liked the look of this, to be honest ... at the risk of sounding pompous/snobbish, it seems like a celebration of fecklessness and that ain't my bag (don't like the look of Sky's Brassic for the same reason).  

Meryl-Streep-Joins-Only-Murders-Building-00341.webp

Only Murders in the Building (Season 3)

Overall I liked this about as much as seasons 1 and 2; I wouldn't say this is a show that has major changes in quality, tone, or vibe from season to season, it's all pretty consistent.  As with the prior seasons, there's as much stuff to be annoyed by as there is to be completely charmed by, so it all still comes out in the wash to being a definitely good show worth watching with a wonderful cast.

One thing that excited me about the cliffhanger ending of season 2 was that we were finally moving on to a new location instead of there being a THIRD murder in the same apartment building, so it was a bummer that by the end of episode 2, it was back to the main building again.  Luckily as the season went on, they did do enough scenes at the Goosebury that this became much less of an issue. 

The best thing this season has going for it is the addition of Meryl Streep and Paul Rudd.  Meryl Streep was TERRIFIC here, which probably shouldn't be surprising, but there's certainly been movie stars before that phoned in television appearances; This is definitely not one of those though.  Every scene she had was great.  I am curious if she'll come back next year or not.  Paul Rudd, on the other hand, was a mixed bag.  His character was really quite a pompous jerk in the first episode that features him etensively, and I thought eventually throughout the season we'd learn more about what makes him tick and gain a new understanding of him, but that really didn't happen, and he didn't appear enough to get any good character development or really make it all seem worth it to even cast him.  I wonder if there was scheduling conflicts or something.

Martin, Short, and Gomez were good as always, though it was a bit strange how quickly they wrote of Martin's love interest, and I never really bought into the Short and Streep relationship.  I thought it was a little strange that they gave Mabel a fourth love interest in 3 seasons, and didn't even mention Alice at all, despite her shown being Mabel's date to the play in the season 2 cliffhanger ending?  Tobert wasn't a very interesting character in the end; I thought he'd end up having more to do with Rudd's death or something but he was just kinda there.

I thought it was interesting how many story threads they left unresolved in the final episode, not even getting into the weird cliffhanger ending.  I do look forward to another season, but definitely don't think they should do more than 5 total.

The Fall Of The House Of Usher

A series made for me!! It's like Succession with murders and ghosts.

In 2018 Mike Flanghan came onto Netflix with the incredible The Haunting Of Hill House. I watched that mostly because of 2 actors that were in it, Carla Gugino and Michiel Huisman. I was never really a horror person, but that series made me appreciate horror in a new way. After Hill House I went on to discover lot's of new films and realised that it's not always only about the scares.

With this new series Flanaghan has in my opinion struck the exactly right balance between drama and horror. I would say the series isn't particularly scary, it's more disturbing and uneasy at times, while still adding some terrific scare moments.
Some might feel like it's weird to show what has come of the Ushers in the first few minutes of the series, but I thought it was very interesting. By showing up front what is about to happen, without knowing how and why was great. It's less of a whodunnit, but more of a why. The why is in some ways very complex and others very simple. But all gets explained and shown in an incredible final episode.
The 6 middle episodes are all focused on one of the 6 kids, which I thought was a really clever way of building to the shows conclusion.

I won't go into spoilers but it's safe to say that people are aware of the fact that there's a lot of death. It's called "The Fall" with a reason. All of the death scenes are excuted incredibly well and are all very unique. Every person dies in a certain way because of something they represent or did in their lives. My favorites were with Napoleon, Tamerlane & Camille.

The whole cast is outstanding, with some giving career best performances. I first want to highlight Carla Gugino. She's been a favorite of mine for a long time and I still feel she doesn't get the recognition she deserves. She is incredible in this, playing a mysterious character, which I won't spoil, but she has to go to lot's off different places and plays multiple characters which really shows what a fantastic actress she is.
The other standout to me was Bruce Greenwood. To me he is one of those actors which I recognise but never know from what. But after this, I will always remember. This is a career defining performance. His character is the patriach and has so many interesting elements and little moments and he all plays it to perfection. It's mesmerizing to watch.
Besides these 2 standouts (which both deserve Emmy nominations) I want to mention Mary McDonnell (who's always good), Kate Siegel, Rahul Kohli, Samantha Sloyan, Carl Lumbly and the great Mark Hamill (who plays a very unique and interesting character at this point in his career).

Some of my favorite scenes are the earlier mentioned death scenes, Greenwood's monologue about lemmons (you'll know it when you see it), Sloyan's breakdown, Hamill's final moments and McDonnell's speech in the final episode.

This series is influenced and adapted by works of Edgar Allan Poe, anf the way Flanaghan does this is truly incredible. He keeps certain parts of poems and stories but gives them new and modern twists. It's actually quite spectacular.
Add to that a terrific production, cinematography and a spectacular score by The Newton Brothers (their best work yet) and you have one of the best series of the year. I'm still torn on if it is my favorite work of Flanaghan, but when something is this good it doesn't really matter where it ranks.

Brilliant from start to finish!

I haven't seen the other shows but I'm curious about this one.  Carla Gugino was one of my first crushes and she's always really good in everything too

I can understand that!

I feel this is the most easy to get into because it's not as horror centric as his other work.

This is really more a drama with some horror elements

Yeah I'll see if the missus is interested.  We actually re-activated Netflix the other week so we have the ability to see it now

Gotta catch up on Black Mirror too!

image.jpeg

The Afterparty (Season 1)

Oh man, I absolutely LOVED this comedy / murdery mystery mashup that carries a stacked, GREAT cast.  Tiffany Haddish is a cop investigating a suspicious date that happens on the night of a 15-year high school reunion.  The suspects are a bunch of mostly 40 something comedians playing attendees of the reunion: Sam Richardson, Zoe Chao, Dave Franco, Ike Barinholtz, Ben Schwartz, Ilana Glazer, Jamie Demetriou, Tiya Sircar and Miracle Laurie - with funny guest bits by Will Forte and Channing Tatum as well.  The cast and premise already sings, but what takes things to the next level is that every episode is told from the perspective of a different character as Haddish interviews them, and each time their story is told in a different cinematic style like musical, action music, romcom, procedural, animation, etc.  This show was so good and every time we couldn't wait to see the next episode.  Sadly we dropped Apple TV+ before Season 2 (Haddish investigating a new murder with a new cast) dropped but we can't wait to check it out when we get Apple TV+ again when Severance comes back.

It's on Apple TV+

image.jpeg

White House Plumbers

I enjoyed this 5 episode mini-series that covers the Watergate scandal, starting with all the context that lead up to it and ending with the court case that resolved it.  Unlike many of these type of miniseries that cover true stories, this one was an outright comedy, at least in the earlier episodes.  I guess there wasn't as much room for jokes near the end when everything had to be resolved.  But it largely sings due to strong, funny performances from Woody Harrelson as E. Howard Hunt and Justin Theroux as G Gordon Liddy, they were both great!  There's a lot of other good character actors involved like Judy Greer, Toby Huss, Gary Cole, Ike Barinholtz, John Carroll Lynch, Zak Orth, David Krumholtz, Neil Casey, Corbin Bernsen, and even Lena Heady, Domhnall Gleeson, and F. Murray Abraham are in this.  Worth checking out, just be prepared the each episode will get less and less funny as it goes on

It's on Max

49 minutes ago, Jay said:

image.jpeg

White House Plumbers

I enjoyed this 5 episode mini-series that covers the Watergate scandal, starting with all the context that lead up to it and ending with the court case that resolved it.  Unlike many of these type of miniseries that cover true stories, this one was an outright comedy, at least in the earlier episodes.  I guess there wasn't as much room for jokes near the end when everything had to be resolved.  But it largely sings due to strong, funny performances from Woody Allen as E. Howard Hunt and Justin Theroux as G Gordon Liddy, they were both great!  There's a lot of other good character actors involved like Judy Greer, Toby Huss, Gary Cole, Ike Barinholtz, John Carroll Lynch, Zak Orth, David Krumholtz, Neil Casey, Corbin Bernsen, and even Lena Heady, Domhnall Gleeson, and F. Murray Abraham are in this.  Worth checking out, just be prepared the each episode will get less and less funny as it goes on

It's on Max

Woody Allen. Hahah typo probably.

I started but after episode 2 I got distracted. Is it woeth finishing?

Ha!  Typo fixed.

4 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I started but after episode 2 I got distracted. Is it woeth finishing?

I mean I feel like my post kind of answers that question already.  Like I said it in the remaining episodes won't be as funny as the first two, but its still worth watching.  I really didn't know much about Watergate and I'm glad I finally do

• 2 weeks later...

I just got a hold of every season of Super Sentai, and the Foggy Dewhurst years of Last of the Summer Wine, which I haven't seen for 20 years. I recommend them both heartily, though they are vastly different.

bs.jpg

Started to rewatch one of my favorite shows, BLACK SAILS with one of my relatives who hasn't seen it. After Season 1 Episode 5 she said that there were too many characters in it and everyone was conspiring all the time, and there was too much violence in it... So we're not watching it.