What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

• 4 weeks later...

the acting... All top notch.

I can't say they are all superb, some are clearly chosen for their good looks, but James Frain (Thomas Cromwell) en especially Gerard McSorley (Robert Aske) in Season 3 are certainly worth mentioning. It's a very watchable show but don't expect The Wire or Mad Men. The writing is good but I feel it could be better. I wouldn't dare to say that about The Wire or Mad Men

the-tudors-Frain29.jpg

James Frain (Thomas Cromwell)

robert_aske.jpg

Gerard McSorley (Robert Aske)

• 2 weeks later...

Continuing with Sons of Anarchy. It's not a great show, but it's a good one, and in season two they do a really terrific job of making the season come together. 9 episodes of carefully planned biuld up, culminating in on of the most satisfying and crowd-pleasing episodes I've ever seen.

Talking about series, yesterday a friend told me he watched the pilot of Boardwalk Empire, a new mob show from HBO with Steve Bushemi and directed (only the pilot) by Scorsese. WTF?!

You hadn't heard about it? The season finale aired Sunday, haven't had a chance to see it yet. I'm still not sure where to put it- it started out in Rome territory- entertaining window dressing, a real meat & potatoes kind of show. It hit it's stride around episode four, still without being totally engrossing...but by the last few episodes, it's been getting really, really good. Scorsese's excellent work on the pilot set a high standard for the directors that is generally kept, and though it seems to be very influenced by Terrence Winter's Sopranos lineage, it has started to be its own thing.

My main problem with the show is the character played by Michael Shannon...but Buscemi is terrific, as is Michael Pitt- an actor I don't usually care for. I'd strongly recommend you give it a shot- there's a lot to like in there.

Finished the BBCs' six-part mini-series The Trip, starring Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon, directed by Michael Winterbottom. As a showcase for the English countryside it's beautiful, but the midlife crisis at the heart of the story turns out to be rather touching, too.

In the end it was a bit pointless, but really very funny along the way. Good stuff, love Coogan.

In the end it was a bit pointless, but really very funny along the way. Good stuff, love Coogan.

Cool, I'll defo check that out man, not saw any new Coogan stuff for a while.

Partridge was class :lol:

Also finished The Walking Dead after your recommendation here, good stuff, I ennoyed it :)

You finished the whole season already? I've got two more episodes to watch. I thought it lost its way a little in episodes three and four, some daft things happened which bugged a little, but there was still some good parts towards the end of the respective episodes. Hopefully it kicks back into gear for the final two shows.

On the whole I'm really enjoying it and I'm glad at the news that a second season has already begun production.

You finished the whole season already?

I cheated (errr, thank you internet ;))

I've got two more episodes to watch. I thought it lost its way a little in episodes three and four, some daft things happened which bugged a little, but there was still some good parts towards the end of the respective episodes. Hopefully it'kicks back into gear for the final two shows.

On the whole I'm really enjoying it and I'm glad at the news that a second season has already begun production.

To be honest, that's what it really is for me, an 'on the whole' attitude. There's nothing necessarily ground breaking or 'new' but each episode kept me relatively entertained for 40+ mins.

What are the things that bugged you man?

Ah, well I'll certainly check out season 2 :)

The last one I saw is where that guy left at camp freaks out because of his dream. Between Sunday Night Football and not being home that late on a Sunday night, I've lost track of the last few episodes.

Finished the BBCs' six-part mini-series The Trip, starring Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon, directed by Michael Winterbottom. As a showcase for the English countryside it's beautiful, but the midlife crisis at the heart of the story turns out to be rather touching, too.

Ditto that. Michael Winterbottom always gets the best out of Steve Coogan (third time, now, isn't it?). Rob Brydon's "little man in a box" gets me every time!

Does anyone watch "Miranda"?

You finished the whole season already?

I cheated (errr, thank you internet ;))

I've got two more episodes to watch. I thought it lost its way a little in episodes three and four, some daft things happened which bugged a little, but there was still some good parts towards the end of the respective episodes. Hopefully it'kicks back into gear for the final two shows.

To be honest, that's what it really is for me, an 'on the whole' attitude. There's nothing necessarily ground breaking or 'new' but each episode kept me relatively entertained for 40+ mins.

What are the things that bugged you man?

Just the whole idea that a man in that horrible situation, after being reunited with his wife and child, would just so easily up and leave again, the very next day in fact - just to rescue a total scumbag stuck on a roof. No way. That, and the part where those dudes "from the hood" turned out to be secret care workers for a band of pensioner survivors. I thought, fuuuuuuck off!

Am I the only one who thinks she's rather cute?

I bet she looks cute, in a way, when she's gagging.

Just the whole idea that a man in that horrible situation, after being reunited with his wife and child, would just so easily up and leave again, the very next day in fact - just to rescue a total scumbag stuck on a roof. No way.

Yeah, you're right man! Bleedin' do-gooders eh!

That, and the part where those dudes "from the hood" turned out to be secret care workers for a band of pensioner survivors. I thought, fuuuuuuck off!

Ha, yeah I agree ....in fact I think I've wiped that part from my mind but it was certainly a "Please!!! Do me a fucking favour!!!".

Although, I think it was that episode, to me there were a couple of Indy references. When the young lads says "We walk from here" and then the way the deputy guy sees his hat on the floor and grabs it in the last second ....well kind of.

Or maybe I'm just seeing faces in the clouds!

Just watched ep1 of The Trip, great stuff man, I most certainly enjoyed it.

The Michael Caine impressions were fantastic, couldn't stop laughing :lol: I'm looking forward to seeing how it all pans out.

I'm glad you mentioned it on here as I probably would of missed it otherwise, so cheers ;)

Well, I have no choice but to watch it (if it gets released on DVD).

Alex - who watches Dexter these days ... because there is nothing else to watch.

That's true. What about Mad Men. Aren't latter seasons as good as the first two? I've seen only those so far.

BTW I've found a DC of Kingdom of Heaven on 4 DVD set (with loooooooads of extras), which I purchased. If I don't like it you owe me 4 quid, Alex! ;)

Karol

That's true. What about Mad Men. Aren't latter seasons as good as the first two? I've seen only those so far.

Personally, I think season 3 of Mad Men is the best one yet and I've read season 4 is even better but it's not yet available around here ... so in the meanwhile I'm watching Dexter.

BTW I've found a DC of Kingdom of Heaven on 4 DVD set (with loooooooads of extras), which I purchased. If I don't like it you owe me 4 quid, Alex! ;)

Remember, it's still nothing great but it's much more immersive and enjoyable than the wing-clipped theatrical cut.

Alex

Personally, I think season 3 of Mad Men is the best one yet and I've read season 4 is even better but it's not yet available around here ... so in the meanwhile I'm watching Dexter.

Try Breaking Bad. I haven't seen Dexter, but it's a great show. I'm sorry I watched it before something merely pretty good like Sons of Anarchy (or, from what I understand, Dexter), because it's a huge comedown. Breaking Bad is of such a high standard in every department -particularly the writing, and it's one of the best shot shows, too- that most other shows pale in comparison.

But surely The Mist, if it does disguise itself (I've only seen it once, and that was a year ago), doesn't do so to that extent? Starship Troopers actually manages to make itself popular as the very thing it criticises, and I award special brilliance points for that.

I'm not sure how brilliant hypocrasy is...for me, it gets points for sheer insanity. Not really for satire.

BG didn't satisfy me either. I wanted to stop after season 3 but in the end I watched it all. Other shows I've quitted on are: Lost and 24.

Alex - who will buy Breaking Bad as soon as it lies in the shops

BG didn't satisfy me either. I wanted to stop after season 3 but in the end I wachted it all. Other shows I've quitted on are: Lost and 24.

I too gave up on 24, after season 2.

Why did you stop watching Lost?

I enjoyed most of the Battlestar Galactica, but I thought the show was at its best when telling a more self-contained stories. Especially the "political thriller" storylines, like the Pegasus one or the mutiny in S4. The rest is...acceptable, I guess. But I hated the Saturday Night Fever design of Cylon ship interiors. Though, if you watch Caprica it kind of makes sense. ;)

One more word about Caprica. I think the premise was interesting, but I kind of stopped watching it after 4-5 episodes. The one thing that definitely stands out is the look of the show. Much more interesting visually than rather dull typical space S-F and over color-graded BSG.

Karol

Sounds like some folks stopped watching before the last third of season 3, when the producers figured out what they were doing and how long they had to do it, and all the filler magically disappeared...

This generally stops by Season 4, but by then the writing itself becomes a bit clunky. The character exclaiming plot ("This is my purpose!" stuff) points and such. I kind of wished it stayed more subtle, like in the earlier episodes. Yet the series itself remains strong. I am one of these viewers who is more interested how the story is going to unfold and not being as interested in the destination. As opposed to people who theorize and have their own expectations. I like how the world of the story is expanding with every season to these almost epic proportions and yet the end game taps directly to the first 5 episodes of the series. And I enjoy all these popcultural (and not only) references. Contrary to the popular "this is the stupid show that treats itself too seriously" opinion I think this is the "serious show that doesn't take itself seriously at all". Proof? One of my favourite quotes from the finale: "Doesn't sound like he said anything about anything".

Karol