What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Gordon Ramsey?

Now if anyone on TV is fake then it must be him.

He just swears and abuses people and get truckloads of cash coming in. And there's no wit, or cleverness in his insults.

Give the UK version a shot, FAR BETTER than the over-produced US version.

Gordon Ramsey?

Now if anyone on TV is fake then it must be him.

He just swears and abuses people and get truckloads of cash coming in. And there's no wit, or cleverness in his insults.

Give the UK version a shot, FAR BETTER than the over-produced US version.

It's like he's on a different planet in the USA version. It's well known in the UK that the American version is scripted and dramatised to buggery - Ramsey is even encouraged by the producers to kick off and swear his head off at the contestants. It's complete bollocks but really good fun at times.

The UK version is an entirely different beast.

Yeah, I just recently got into it too, been running through them all on Netflix.

He GENUINELY cares about the restaurants he attempts to save in the UK version.

but that's enough from me on the matter.

Ramsay has enough shows to start a 24/7 channel but I love them all. Might I suggest these if you haven't seen them...

Ramsay's Great Escape

Ramsay's Best Restaurant

The F Word

Ramsay's Shark Bait (About the horror's of Shark Fin Soup)

It's Larry David. There are similarities to Seinfeld since the jokes there were based on some of his real life experiences, but they're pretty far apart.

Nah. It's just stereotyped Jewish neurosis, the kind of which Woody Allen does a lot, lot better.

Watched 4 episodes of Mad Men: Season 4 today. It is still great. But I miss the old place.

I agree. It's very much Don Draper's season, this one.

I think you would love Mad Men, Steef.

I recommended Mad Men to a friend of mine and he loved it so much that he watched all available seasons on blu-ray in like 2 weeks. He likes it better than Breaking Bad, The Wire or other shows that I advised him to watch. It's very difficult to explain to an 'outsider' what it is exactly that makes Mad Men so good. My friend understands it now. One of the things we agree upon is one has to appreciate the series' maturity and subtlety or else it's not a show for you.

Dexter Season 4: John Lithgow was great.

dexter-season-4-finale.jpg

Alex

Exactly. I actually like him, but can't explain why. As you said, he's not exactly a good person. Even though he thinks he is. That's one of the most interesting characters out there.

Karol

I've just started watching Mad Men, and I can't quite figure the show out. It's certainly not a cheap, formulaic, pander-to-the-lowest-denominator show...it does have a subtlety to it that's a little intriguing. Kind of enigmatic. We'll see if I keep going with the show...I'm only a few episodes in, but I'm sufficiently interested to keep at it for a while. Think I might even watch the next episode now.

It's not the kind of show you have to watch religiously. I remember watching first two episodes then it took me about 6 months before I started episode 3. I'm taking my time with it. Love the look and characters and lazy pacing. It's not your typical television. There are only few shows like that.

Karol

Yeah it takes me awhile to watch each season. I recall finishing Season 1 rather quickly, the finale is my favorite episode thus far. Then I started Season 2 and stopped for like 3 or 4 months. Just finished it recently. Now it will take me awhile to start up Season 3.

Today I finally started Band Of Brothers. Now, this is how it's done. Infinitely more engaging than The Pacific. Seems like there was actually some quality control from Hanks and Spielberg.

Exactly. I actually like him, but can't explain why. As you said, he's not exactly a good person. Even though he thinks he is. That's one of the most interesting characters out there.

Obviously, he's not a clearcut likeable character but I like his style. He's smart (creative), enigmatic, handsome and often charming (when he wants to). His person is shaped by his 'drive' which in it turn is fueled by something in his past. You can't help but be fascinated by him. Don is one of my favorite characters of Mad Men but my absolute favorite is Peggy Olson, played by Elisabeth Moss, and who's probably the most talented actor of the show.

So AMC has announced they've placed a final 16-episode order of Breaking Bad to be produced after season 4 that will conclude the series. I'm very curious to see where it'll all go. I think we can safely say one thing: whatever the end, it probably won't end well for Walter White... Thoughts?

I never posted when the GF and I finished Dexter Season 2 or True Blood Season2 - and we just finished Dexter Season 3 last week - so allow me to catch up.

Dexter Season 2:

I liked it a lot! It was not as good as the first season, but it was still very very strong. While watching the first season, I could tell it was based on a novel, it had a similar overall plot structure and the way things wrapped up at the end were clearly from seeds planted from the very beginning, in a way that TV shows don't usually manage to pull off but novels do. So, with season 2, it was clear that they were now going in their own direction, not adapting another book - and they nailed it. I enjoy the directions all the characters went - it was true to the characters, never seemed like they were having the characters do something just for drama or because they ran out of ideas. It made sense that Dexter lost his will to kill for a while, that Deb was afraid to date any one, etc. I didn't even mind that LaGuerta was sleeping with the boyfriend of the new boss that had taken her job. Speaking of new characters, I really enjoyed Lundy, his investigation, and him and Deborah's relationship. It felt totally real even though it wasn't the type of relationship you ever see anywhere. They also did a great job of building up Lila from interesting ancillary character to essentially the main villain of the season. I mean, for a while Doakes is the apparent villain of the season, but really he was just doing his job and was actually the smartest cop of all. I had no idea how they were going to wrap it up - I didn't want Dexter to kill him because he was innocent, but I didn't want Dexter to be revealed either. The tension was handled superbly, and they way it resolved was good, with Lila being the one to kill him (though Dexter is very much responsible for allowing that to happen by attacking him and locking him up, something that never really gets touched on). SO glad that Dexter tracked her down and killed her when she fled, too. I think my biggest complaint about the season was that they ended up dragging it out for a bit. I think it was episode 10 that ended with Doakes locked up... then episode 11 was a total drag your feet episode, with Doakes momentarily escaping then eventually ending up right back in by the end, and from what I remember other plot points ended up back where they were too. It was like the entire episode could be dropped out. But I suppose its hard to perfectly plot out 12 episodes every season, and they generally do a great job.

Really hoping to get caught up on all seasons so we can watch Season 6 "live"!

• 1 month later...

While I was nosing around the DVD department, I saw a minute or so of Modern Family Season 1 and to me it seems a pretty good sitcom featuring Ed O'Neill from Married With Children fame. Anyone seen this show and would you recommend it to me?

I'm watching Brotherhood these days (I bought season 1 hoping it would be good) but I wouldn't really recommend it.

DVD%20cover.jpg

It wants to be a bit like HBO's The Wire, but naturally, it doesn't quite get there.

Alex

While I was nosing around the DVD department, I saw a minute or so of Modern Family Season 1 and to me it seems a pretty good sitcom featuring Ed O'Neill from Married With Children fame. Anyone seen this show and would you recommend it to me?

Been watching it since Season 1. The funniest and smartest sitcom I've seen in years. Definitely recommended. The cast is incredible, everyone is perfect.

I finished Season 3 of Mad Men. I think I figured out what draws me to it. While I really like the production design and atmosphere, its structure is entirely different to any show I've seen. There is no rising action and climax to each episode, there is no resolution. It begins, it goes on, and then it abruptly ends. Probably why people find it insanely boring (like Joey), but I find myself dwelling on the final moments of each episode. Thinking why they chose to end it right there, instead of the scene before, or maybe one more scene after; and how that relates to the characters' development and overall story.

I think my favorite episode of the season was "The Gypsy And The Hobo." The ending was perfect. However, I still find myself hating all the characters, aside from Joan, who seems to be the only honest person in the show. Referencing back to the same episode, when Don confesses his secret to Betty and breaks down, I felt no sympathy. He's a hypocrite, he calls her a whore when all he's done is sleep around every episode. Not to mention the only thing she's done is kiss another man. I felt like this moment was supposed to be a heartfelt moment for Don's character, but I just continued to hate him more.

The episode titles are fantastic. "Shut The Door. Have A Seat."

I finished Season 3 of Mad Men. I think I figured out what draws me to it. While I really like the production design and atmosphere, its structure is entirely different to any show I've seen. There is no rising action and climax to each episode, there is no resolution. It begins, it goes on, and then it abruptly ends.

So it's like As The World Turns or The Bold And The Beautiful, just more expensive.

Mad Men the show that wins lots of awards, no one hardly watches, and it is boring as hell. Grass grows and a Mad Men episode starts and finishes. yawn.

Last night Criminal Minds was excellent, so was Law and Order SVU, even without Elliot Stabler. Thank the TV gods he still can come back.

Tonight TV's best comedy, shot the way they should be shot, live in front of a studio audience instead of those stupid one camera dromedies, Big Bang Theory starts it's season 5.

The episode titles are fantastic. "Shut The Door. Have A Seat."

Fun fact: the Dutch DVD case has a typo in this episode title. According to the case, it's called Shit the Door. Have a Seat...

I'm watching Brotherhood these days (I bought season 1 hoping it would be good) but I wouldn't really recommend it.

DVD%20cover.jpg

Really? I found it VERY good but to each his own. I don't think it's anything like nor tries to be The Wire.

I'm sure the show has its fair share of loyal fans. I just did a check on wiki and apparently I'm not the only one who thinks The Wire. At first it even reminded me of Rich Man, Poor Man (legendary miniseries from 1976), you know, with the two brothers dynamic and all.

Alex

Starts out fantastic, takes a dive midway through, before getting back on the right track again at the end. One of the middle episodes is terrible. It's definitely one of the better fantasy shows, though.

Get on Game of Thrones after that.

Starts out fantastic, takes a dive midway through, before getting back on the right track again at the end. One of the middle episodes is terrible. It's definitely one of the better fantasy shows, though.

:blink:

I, as well as the entire room full of people I watched it with, had a different opinion - we all loved the first 5 episodes, and then HATED episode 6. What a let-down it was! Terrible season finale.

Get on Game of Thrones after that.

Game of Thrones is awesome. I caught it during a free HBO sneak peek and loved the two episodes I saw -- the instant the DVDs go for presale on Amazon, I'm ordering a copy. It's so rich, complex, beautifully shot, and Peter Dinklage is a hoot and a half.

:blink:

I, as well as the entire room full of people I watched it with, had a different opinion - we all loved the first 5 episodes, and then HATED episode 6. What a let-down it was! Terrible season finale.

In any case, you're not beating the series opener "Days Gone Bye". That is one quality hour of television. Hopefully the forthcoming Season 2 will maintain a similar level of goodness that the show began with, though I didn't hate the season finale.

I've just started watching Mad Men, and I can't quite figure the show out. It's certainly not a cheap, formulaic, pander-to-the-lowest-denominator show...it does have a subtlety to it that's a little intriguing. Kind of enigmatic. We'll see if I keep going with the show...I'm only a few episodes in, but I'm sufficiently interested to keep at it for a while. Think I might even watch the next episode now.

It's amazing. Betty can kinda get on your nerves a bit, but overall it's one of the best shows I've seen in the last decade.

It was an argument over the budget of the second season. AMC have significantly reduced it compared to s1 and Darabont had real fears it could taint the quality and scope of the production. I'm inclined to agree with him and my anticipation for the next season is rather cautious as a result.

Basically, AMC want to enjoy the same success but for much less up front. Word is the cast and crew are upset about it and Darabont's departure, and apparently they're fearful of speaking out since if they can get rid of him then surely nobody is "safe". The attitude seems to be "AMC haven't a clue" and they can't handle what has become a very successful franchise - The Walking Dead being the show they actually own (Mad Men, Breaking Bad, they do not) and so nobody really knows whats going to happen with it. They want to cut back on the exterior locations and save money on gore sfx by "hearing the zombies instead of seeing them". Darabont responded with something like, "this isn't a show were the characters sit around the dinner table" and with that he was gone.

That reminds me... I need to finish the second season of Treme. But then again all my series return in Spring and til then there's nothing much to watch. That's why I rationed Mad Men 4 and Treme in small portions.

Karol