What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Have you seen Caprica? It's a very different thing, but actually not bad at all. It helps that it doesn't really reprise BSG in tone or approach. I mention it because I really like the look of it. Makes for a difference after so many years of color grading and cold ship lighting.

Karol

A very flawed series. It's not the kind of acting of dialog that keeps me engaged. It was one of those rare occassions when I actually liked it when things were moving along rapidly.

Why not? The first season is superb.

I was annoyed by most of the characters. I also didn't find the story engaging, it didn't feel like there were only 40000 humans left. It also started getting randomly boringly political/religious. I thought it would have been cooler a harsh, "down to Earth" survival story through the stars. I didn't like the cylons being so much "the bad guys", and I found it rather funny that they were only able to create a few different models of humanlike cylons.

Or maybe I'm just not much into typical space opera clichés.

I don't remember the show well, but that was my impression.

Yes, if you don't like the political/religious themes then BSG is definitely not for you. Neither is Caprica, for that matter.

I agree. For me season 4 was best during the whole mutiny plotline.

These were the three best episodes of the season, no doubt. But, to be honest, I always enjoyed BSG more for its political thriller like tone rather than s-f elements. Ironically, the mutiny plot was there mostly because of the writer's strike back in 2007.

Karol

I liked BSG the way it started out. a paranoid 9/11 allegory, with a strong us against them aspect. (the novelty being it was never really clear who was us and who was them. But then Ronald D. Moore wanted it to be some religious version of Blade Runner.

What did you think about the occupation storyline at the start of season 3 then? I thought these were one of the strongest episodes as well. Pity that one crucial element has been later undone. Cheap.

Karol

Mixed feelings. On it's own I rather like it. but I dislike the whole ONE YEAR LATER trick they pulled at the tail end of season 2. Actually the show was never the same after that.

I prefer BSG's shorter story arcs (the occupation, the trail of Baltar, the mutiny etc...etc) a lot more then the main story arc, which shifted far too radically several times.

By the time we got to season 4, the Cylons were no longer threatening, and as characters they weren't particularly interesting.

Yeah, it's really confusing when it turned out that

there are different models that look the same but think differently. Also, the way they are resurrected like million times. It bordered on parody. Also the old Cylon guy came literally out of nowhere and suddenly he became the central character. No build up there.

But than again they making it all up while writing it. Moore himself said that. For example, they had no idea who the Cylons were. At least in the case of Lost they had a vague idea of what it was that they were trying to achieve. Even if a lot of was added and altered in the process. But then again, Lost is about anything but genre integrity. That's why I love it so much.

Karol

The show really suffers from that. You can see that they changed their mind about 3 or 4 times in a relatively short 4 seasons.

Still there is much to like. Some great characters (Baltar might be my favorite), engaging stories, great too look at, and even the music became rather good in the end.

It's no Deep Space Nine though. (even though the show does rip it off a lot)

I've decided to rewatch Buffy the Vampire Slayer season 3, on a whim. It's held up very well, even with the somewhat dated outfits and visual effects. The action is a little less fun than what I originally remembered, but the acting and writing are still great.

I doubt Eliza Dushku will be a breakout star, but her performance as Faith was great and held the season together nicely. She had great chemistry with Sarah Michelle Gellar, and Dushku's return later on was one of the highlights of the lackluster seventh season.

It's pretty much the only ongoing sitcom I can stomach. I enjoy its construction very much, and the blondie is always worthwhile (as are the aforementioned jokes).

I'd choose Curb or Partridge over it in a heartbeat, though.

Okay, I guess no Camelot for me (even though I do enjoy TheTudors). Say, what about Haven (Stephen King)? I can't say it looks promising but the blu-ray set is really cheap (20 euros).

I'm looking forward to watching the whole series in sequence without spoiling it for myself.

I am torn between buying the complete series box set and just sticking with Netflix because my only means of watching the shows in the next few weeks will be my laptop, where Netflix is not an issue. I will save my money.

• 3 weeks later...

Party Down

I don't what's with these prematurely canceled shows (Freaks and Geeks might be my favorite TV series ever), but I though this was absolutely terrific. Funny, dramatic, enlightening, outrageous and real all at the same time. Terrific cast and terrific dialogue. Party Down has instantly become one of my all time favorite shows.

To bad only two seasons were produced, but at least it never got to overstay their welcome

My girl and I watched both seasons of Party Down recently. I liked it, but it wasn't GREAT by any means. A lot of the episodes are very similar to each other. The main storyline with the main character and Lizzy Caplan was interesting and fresh in the first season and really dull in the second. Kristen Bell was funny.

As for Community, I think that was always the plan - that it and 30 Rock would swap Thursday night time this season. That's a funny show, and I dunno what Stefan is talking about, it's nothing like Glee in the slightest (I don't watch Glee, but my GF does, so I know what it's like)

Has anyone been following The Clone Wars lately? There's a 4 part story arc going on now featuring Anakin being replaced by an unorthodox Jedi General who treats Anakin's Clones like ass. The story is really boiling towards a conclusion (they're up to the 3rd episode), and I have to say it's the most entertaining Star Wars I've seen in years, and easily the most beautiful and spectacular looking television animation out there.

If you've dismissed the show up til now, go onto Starwars.com and start with episode 4.7, Darkness on Umbara.

It just looks like a Glee clone to me.

Not AS repugnant and gay, but not nearly far enough removed from it.

Anyway, Chevy Chase is in it, which should have told you it was never gonna last.

I infer you haven't watched much of either show.

As for Community, I think that was always the plan - that it and 30 Rock would swap Thursday night time this season.

Yeah, but instead of going to a different slot, it's been removed altogether. It's a shame. Despite its episodic, self-conclusive nature, the show really had an underlying continuity and, after a kick ass second season, was really getting to the core of its characters.

Its idiosyncratic humor and narrative approach always has and always will make it inaccessible for a casual, let alone large, audience. It's a shame. I don't wish to sound like a whining fanboy, or to demonize financially troubled NBC, but it was one of the most intelligent shows of the past decade.

It just looks like a Glee clone to me.

Not AS repugnant and gay, but not nearly far enough removed from it.

Anyway, Chevy Chase is in it, which should have told you it was never gonna last.

I infer you haven't watched much of either show.

As for Community, I think that was always the plan - that it and 30 Rock would swap Thursday night time this season.

Yeah, but instead of going to a different slot, it's been removed altogether. It's a shame. Despite its episodic, self-conclusive nature, the show really had an underlying continuity and, after a kick ass second season, was really getting to the core of its characters.

Its idiosyncratic humor and narrative approach always has and always will make it inaccessible for a casual, let alone large, audience. It's a shame. I don't wish to sound like a whining fanboy, or to demonize financially troubled NBC, but it was one of the most intelligent shows of the past decade.

I'm gonna give it a try, thanks for the recommendation, Tom

:)

It seemed so obviously 'written".

That was kind of the point. It was part a regular show which focused on character relationships, but also part a meta-exploration of TV logic (TV fiction has never gotten more meta than this) through concept-driven episodes*. Surprisingly, each season's arc and the characters were always the main focus.

*I know this sounds wordy and pretentious but it translates really well to the screen. For instance: last season, after a lot of character development, the season tried to show how much the main characters had bonded, and how limited this bond was. So they decided to do a clip show. They set up a classic clip show premise (the finding of objects lost through the season) but it was delivered with a twist: all of the clips were new scenes, which served as both a commentary and a celebration of classic clip show episodes in other shows and an exploration of the show's clichés. So: character development, commentary on a classic technique and self-criticism of the show itself, all in one, hilarious master stroke.

And this is just an example. There are countless concept-driven episodes like this. (Its most celebrated one is from season 1, Modern Warfare, where a series of very cleverly threaded references to action movies served as the background of the most important character development of the season.)

When Community started it wasn't great, but the Modern Warfare episode was fantastic. Then Season 2 kicked it up a notch considerably - it was fantastic! Season 3 is also excellent, though I am currently 3 episodes behind.