What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Star Trek Enterprise, These are the Voyages...

The final episode is a Next Generation's episode about Riker's using the events of the Enterprise NX-01's final days as a template for what he sould do in the episode The Pegasus. It's both satifying and unsatisfying at the same time.

It's bittersweet. They killed the show's most likeable character for shock value, and then shoehorn in Archer and crew being around for the birth of the UFP. The episode is almost an afterthought when compared to the two parter that preceded it, the one with Peter Weller playing the same type of character as in STID. Since Enterprise's cancellation robbed them of time to flesh out the Romulan war properly, that's what we got. A TNG episode.

Re: DW "Turn Left" is probably my fave story from thatseason. Graeme Harper at his very best.

There are few directors that truly understand DW, and he is one of them.

P.s., it's not season 1,2,3,4,5, etc, it's season 27,28,29,30.....oh, what's the bloody point....?

Doctor Who, Season 5 (Season 31 if that pleases some of you!)

The season started off with a bang. I thought the opening episode was brilliant! A great adventure to really set up the relationship between the new doctor and his new companion. I love Amy Pond's backstory and the whole look of these new episodes. As the season progressed, I enjoyed the storylines and really liked chemistry between the characters. However, I didn't think any of the adventures in the middle of the season were as distinct and as memorable as some of the highlights of RTD's era. Regardless, the stories are generally more polished which is impressive. But in the end, I was particularly taken by the fantastic finale! So grand and epic! And unlike RTD's more far-fetched, ridiculous stories, Steven Moffat's more complicated and well-paced take makes up for whatever plot holes there might have been. It was emotional, it was entertaining, it was brilliant. Can't wait for the next season!

As for Matt Smith. I've really come to love him as the Doctor. The way his character is written and performed in many ways reminds me of Cumberbatch as Sherlock. In fact, in many ways, the way this whole season is written almost stylistically resembles the way Sherlock is presented. Very modern, very different from RTD's stuff, not that that's a bad thing of course. I still prefer David Tennant, whose emotional range has made me one of his fanboys, but Matt Smith and Amy Pond make a great duo as well.

I've been told that the next season only gets more epic. I look forward to it :)

The Next Doctor was alright. It was kind of a let down after Journey's End. Overall I found it pretty average.

Planet of the Dead was good fun. Again, not exceptional, but it was more fun than the last and the prophecy was important.

Then things picked up because I thought The Waters of Mars was fantastic! I mean it wasn't perfect, but it was really cool seeing a different side to the Doctor. The self-doubt and eventual darker territory the character was taking was very intriguing to see. Tennant was awesome as usual. And I really like Lindsay Duncan as Adelaide Brooke. Great special!

The End of Time overall was great stuff, though flawed. It had some strange moments I didn't like (wasn't a big fan of the Master repopulating the human race as himself....typical RTD I suppose), but overall it hit all the right cues of emotion, humour, adventure and all that. To be honest, I wouldn't have it any other way. Favourite part of the story was how the prophecy was fulfilled. After all that jam-packed action (arguably too much), Tennant dies at the hand of Wilfred! And I loved how Tennant lashes out like that. Like I said before, it's a different to the Doctor, where he is unwilling to let go of his life. He's lost everything he's loved after all, why wouldn't he want to cling on to himself? It was beautiful, how that came to a close.

I liked the Timothy Dalton and the other Time Lords. I also enjoyed The Master a lot more than before (not a big fan of season 3's finale) and I liked the cameos this time (not forced in like Journey's End). The real star of course was David Tennant, who was bloody brilliant and at his finest. He was funny, witty and incredibly emotional. The ending with the Doctor saying his farewells was so emotionally poignant.

tumblr_m2u4sbCuFY1r8zqnbo1_500.gif

BRILLIANT!!! And yes, I admit I was ready to shed man-tears at the end .

Easily one of my favourite episodes ever. After watching that, I was pretty reluctant to start the next season. In the end, David Tennant is and will likely always be, my favourite Doctor.

Murray Gold's cue for Tennants final scene is breathtaking.

I agree that The End Of Time suffers f4rom the typical RTD issues that plague many of his BIG eps. Too many characters. (Why the Naismiths', why the Cactus Aliens?) What's the point of having The Master turn into everyone? Why not have more scenes with Dalton on Galifrey?

Having Donna back made sense because Wilf was in there.

Bernie Cribbins is fantastic in this BTW. Lovable, courageous, funny and heartbreaking.

The cameo's at the end felt right because it was like a farewell tour for The Doctor, so it made some dramatic sense. (there was no use having Jackie Tyler back, or Mickey in Journey's End)

But in the end, I was particularly taken by the fantastic finale! So grand and epic! And unlike RTD's more far-fetched, ridiculous stories, Steven Moffat's more complicated and well-paced take makes up for whatever plot holes there might have been. It was emotional, it was entertaining, it was brilliant. Can't wait for the next season!

This is my fav season finale because it's epic, dramatic but doesnt throw in characters for the sake of viewer nostalgia, or turn The Doctor into Dobby the House elf etc etc.

It's very economic with characters compared to RTD season closers, and more effective. Instead of 10 million Daleks and 4 billiuon Cybermen we get a Cyberman without a head and a stone Dalek (love the tilted camera zoom when River Song takes care of him...hell love River Song!)

Series 5 has the best overall story and the best finale in the new series so far.

It was also my introductory series and Matt Smith is pretty much my Doctor, so I'm biased, but still. I'm NOT a fan of some episodes in the middle, though.

I still prefer David Tennant, whose emotional range has made me one of his fanboys, but Matt Smith and Amy Pond make a great duo as well.

They might get more equalized in your mind as you keep watching, like it happened to my sister.

Murray Gold's cue for Tennants final scene is breathtaking.

I agree that The End Of Time suffers f4rom the typical RTD issues that plague many of his BIG eps. Too many characters. (Why the Naismiths', why the Cactus Aliens?) What's the point of having The Master turn into everyone? Why not have more scenes with Dalton on Galifrey?

Having Donna back made sense because Wilf was in there.

Bernie Cribbins is fantastic in this BTW. Lovable, courageous, funny and heartbreaking.

The cameo's at the end felt right because it was like a farewell tour for The Doctor, so it made some dramatic sense. (there was no use having Jackie Tyler back, or Mickey in Journey's End)

But in the end, I was particularly taken by the fantastic finale! So grand and epic! And unlike RTD's more far-fetched, ridiculous stories, Steven Moffat's more complicated and well-paced take makes up for whatever plot holes there might have been. It was emotional, it was entertaining, it was brilliant. Can't wait for the next season!

This is my fav season finale because it's epic, dramatic but doesnt throw in characters for the sake of viewer nostalgia, or turn The Doctor into Dobby the House elf etc etc.

It's very economic with characters compared to RTD season closers, and more effective. Instead of 10 million Daleks and 4 billiuon Cybermen we get a Cyberman without a head and a stone Dalek (love the tilted camera zoom when River Song takes care of him...hell love River Song!)

Yeah. The season 5 finale is pretty much the closest to perfection any Doctor Who season finale has gotten. Like you said, Steven Moffat knows how to handle his characters economically and effectively. But where Moffat's finale succeeds in scale, scope and story/narrative, season 4's finale had heart (I'm talking about the last part of End of Time) mainly.

Oh and that cue you mentioned was indeed beautiful.

On that note, am I the only one who was disappointed and slightly annoyed by the fact that the new Doctor's main theme in season 5 is pretty much a rip off (and a more simplistic variation) of Hans Zimmer's 160 BPM?

And finally yes, River Song rocks!

Series 5 has the best overall story and the best finale in the new series so far.

It was also my introductory series and Matt Smith is pretty much my Doctor, so I'm biased, but still. I'm NOT a fan of some episodes in the middle, though.

I still prefer David Tennant, whose emotional range has made me one of his fanboys, but Matt Smith and Amy Pond make a great duo as well.

They might get more equalized in your mind as you keep watching, like it happened to my sister.

Well I started from the first series of the reboot, with Christopher Eccleston, so I don't know how much bias I'm going in with. Matt Smith nails that "childishly light-hearted but calculating genius" personality, and he's entertaining to watch (a lot like Sherlock really). But I think I miss the more emotionally driven take of David Tennant. They're two different approaches though, and they both work very effectively. I just happen to miss David Tennant more. Nostalgia already perhaps? :P

You guys watch a lot of mediocre shows! (Dr. Who, Sherlock, ...)

I tried too watch Newsroom but gave up after 10 minutes Just about everything about that show rubs me the wrong way.

Alex

The Killing Season 3

At first we were watching this show week to week, but then after getting behind a few weeks we ended up watching 3 in a marathon on a dreary sunday afternoon, and that worked much better, so we ended up letting the last 5 episodes pile up and we watched them all this weekend.

Overall a strong season of a strong show. THANK GOD they ditched every supporting character from the first 2 seasons and just focused on Linden and Holder solving a new, un-connected case cause I wouldn't have been able to take another season of the Larsons and that senator guy. The new case was interesting - nothing new of course (a serial killing is killing prostitutes in Seattle, keeping rings as trophies, etc). Of course as is the formula of the show every few episode ends with the bad guy seemingly being revealed, only for it to be another red herring until the final episode reveals all. I actually called who the killer was right away in the first episode

Why else would they hire a talented actor like Elias Koteas amidst a sea of unknowns

But what makes the show work is the strength of the two leads, who are both excellent. My favorite detectives to watch on TV (not that I actually really watch any crime solving shows at all). They both have extreme depth to their characters and all kinds of foibles to overcome, etc.

The final episode may have had an abrupt ending but I thought it was very fitting, and I can't wait to see what case they'll be working on next year.

Anybody still watching Under The Dome? We haven't watched since episode 6 (9 have now aired). I don't miss it.

Orange Is The New Black 1x01 I Wasn't Ready

Decent pilot, in the realm of just good enough to make me want to watch the next episode, while not being mind blowing in any way. The plot concerns a woman, Piper Chapman (played by relative newcomer Taylor Schilling) who has to serve 15 months in federal prison 10 years after she unknowingly carried drug money internationally while in a lesbian relationship just after college. The pilot episode juggles between the story of her first day or two in prison while a copious amount of flashbacks filling in her back story.

The cast was the most impressive thing - I wasn't familiar with Schilling as the lead, but her former girlfriend is played by Laura Prepon (who I have always loved since That 70's Show and always thought she deserved more work; I just started watching Are You There, Chelsea? as well so it is interesting seeing her play a care-free blonde on one show and intense dark-haired brunette on the other), her fiance is played by Jason Biggs (yes, from American Pie), and other inmates are played by Kate Mulgrew (yes, from Star Trek Voyager) and Natasha Lyonne (also from American Pie and another one of my favorites).

My biggest problem with the pilot was the flashbacks, there were too many and they always seemed to come right when I wanted to know more about the current story, and not when I wanted to take a break for some back-story fill in. Also the story, while being fairly original compared to other shows I've seen, was not really the most compelling until the VERY last scene of the episode. That scene sets up what I think will make an interesting dynamic and provides enough to make me want to continue. Without that twist I likely still would have watched the next, but would be less enthusiastic about it.

Everyone, both people I know and people on line, is raving about this show and how good it is, but also most people have said the pilot is the worst episode and it gets much better after that. This is the second Jenji Kojan show i have watched after Weeds; Weeds I liked well enough to start but after completing 5 seasons of I am not even a little compelled to see what happens in the final 3. Hopefully Kohan has learned a lot since Weeds and judging from the positive reviews, she has. Surely we'll be watching episode 2 soon.

Why the fuck am I still watching Under the Dome? I've come to the conclusion that it's finally my concession to The X Files, The Outer Limits and Sliders. That sort of shite.

Under The Dome is NOWHERE NEAR the same level that X-Files and Sliders were. Sliders attempted to tell interesting stories about the human condition using alternate universes to highlight the aspects of humanity they wanted to do an episode about. Under The Dome is a melodrama that masquerades as a sci-fi show.

Orange Is The New Black 1x01 I Wasn't Ready

Decent pilot, in the realm of just good enough to make me want to watch the next episode, while not being mind blowing in any way. The plot concerns a woman, Piper Chapman (played by relative newcomer Taylor Schilling) who has to serve 15 months in federal prison 10 years after she unknowingly carried drug money internationally while in a lesbian relationship just after college. The pilot episode juggles between the story of her first day or two in prison while a copious amount of flashbacks filling in her back story.

The cast was the most impressive thing - I wasn't familiar with Schilling as the lead, but her former girlfriend is played by Laura Prepon (who I have always loved since That 70's Show and always thought she deserved more work; I just started watching Are You There, Chelsea? as well so it is interesting seeing her play a care-free blonde on one show and intense dark-haired brunette on the other), her fiance is played by Jason Biggs (yes, from American Pie), and other inmates are played by Kate Mulgrew (yes, from Star Trek Voyager) and Natasha Lyonne (also from American Pie and another one of my favorites).

My biggest problem with the pilot was the flashbacks, there were too many and they always seemed to come right when I wanted to know more about the current story, and not when I wanted to take a break for some back-story fill in. Also the story, while being fairly original compared to other shows I've seen, was not really the most compelling until the VERY last scene of the episode. That scene sets up what I think will make an interesting dynamic and provides enough to make me want to continue. Without that twist I likely still would have watched the next, but would be less enthusiastic about it.

Everyone, both people I know and people on line, is raving about this show and how good it is, but also most people have said the pilot is the worst episode and it gets much better after that. This is the second Jenji Kojan show i have watched after Weeds; Weeds I liked well enough to start but after completing 5 seasons of I am not even a little compelled to see what happens in the final 3. Hopefully Kohan has learned a lot since Weeds and judging from the positive reviews, she has. Surely we'll be watching episode 2 soon.

My girlfriend is obsessed with this show, pretty much only because the person went to her school. So I think it's located in the same area.

You guys watch a lot of mediocre shows! (Dr. Who, Sherlock, ...)

I'm afraid the best episodes of Doctor Who reduce most of the current adventure fantasy crap fest in films to mere irrelevant dust.

Talking about mediocrity, I borrowed S2 of The Walking Dead from a friend. Only watched the first eppy but the writing, the clichés ... How do you people get through it?!!!

Alex

I've only seen Season 1 of The Walking Dead, and wasn't horribly impressed enough to seek out Season 2 or 3.

In the realm of AMC shows, I already watch and love Breaking Bad and The Killing, and really want to check out Hell On Wheels next. Gotta see Mad Men at some point too....

I'm not reading the comments but how is the latest BB season so far? Up to par with the previous ones?

I'm asking because I keep hearing how the latest season of MM is disappointing the fans. Don't want the same to happen to BB.

Alex

I've only seen the first 2 of the new episodes (3 have now aired), but they were both 100% excellent.

I'm not reading the comments but how is the latest BB season so far? Up to par with the previous ones?

I'm asking because I keep hearing how the latest season of MM is disappointing the fans. Don't want the same to happen to BB.

Alex

How far are you into Mad Men, Alex? I stopped after Season 4. Watched the 5 premiere when it aired but haven't watched anything since. Really didn't like the direction it was going. Are they done with Season 6?

Cool! I'm already looking forward to what Vince Gilligan is going to create next!

Yea, me too! Looking forward to Bryan Cranston's next dramatic role as well

I stopped after Season 4. Watched the 5 premiere when it aired but haven't watched anything since. Really didn't like the direction it was going. Are they done with Season 6?

Season 6 aired over 12 weeks from April 2013 to June 2013.

Season 7 will air in 2014 and will be the show's last. Though Weiner has stated he doesn't mind splitting it up into 2 chunks (2014 and 2015) if AMC wants to. Though it's already confirmed to be 13 episodes like all the other seasons (Breaking Bad's final split up season was expanded to 16 episodes that aired 8 in 2012 and 8 in 2013)

Most people seemed to hate the second season of Walking Dead. I loved it, especially the latter half. Season 3 was almost consistently stronger, apart from some daft late entries. Which is okay - this, like Under the Dome, is my veg out programming. Easily digestible. I'm not looking for greatness.

As for Alex's links, it's just as easy to pull up contrasting ones. http://www.metacritic.com/tv/the-walking-dead/season-2

I'm not really into that referrals to strengthen arguments lark, though. I'm not arsed enough to care if people disagree.

Alex

From what I've seen so far it's absolutely on fire.

Breaking Bad seems to be on track to do exactly what Dexter should have been doing in its final season. There's really only three episodes left on that show? Man, you sure can't tell by how unengaging it's been so far.

I haven't seen last night's Dexter yet (episode 9), but last week's episode was pretty great, and the first real sign of anything greatness so far shown in the final 2 seasons. Then they went and ruined it all with the dumb and oddly shot and edited final sequence. And now they've got a lot to wrap up in 4 episodes, and not a whole lot of which is related to Dexter himself (I don't really give a crap about the brain surgeon)

Some say it has been a soap. ;)

I follow the series and it's the very opposite of a soap. Perhaps some call it a soap because it's not about good and evil or there's no murder. Thank god!

As for Alex's links, it's just as easy to pull up contrasting ones. http://www.metacritic.com/tv/the-walking-dead/season-3

Here's an article about that. (sorta, because it's about S2, the season to which I'm referring to)

I haven't seen last night's Dexter yet (episode 9), but last week's episode was pretty great, and the first real sign of anything greatness so far shown in the final 2 seasons. Then they went and ruined it all with the dumb and oddly shot and edited final sequence. And now they've got a lot to wrap up in 4 episodes, and not a whole lot of which is related to Dexter himself (I don't really give a crap about the brain surgeon)

I kind of stopped with Dexter with the second episode of the last season....I think I just got too bored to continue with it.

Seasons 7 and 8 have just enough to be worth watching IMHO, but as a whole the show has really gone downhill quite a bit from Seasons 1-4. I guess a new showrunner took over after season 4, so that explains it.